Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

said some surf, pre-black death

The ocean didn't get plague. At least I don't think it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

He means the Black Sea.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Sleep tight.

Man, rabies is already my number one irrational fear.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Get bit by the ocean and get back to me irt your health status

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rabies is also one of the deadliest diseases known to man. You have to get vaccinated right away after getting bitten, because if you start manifesting symptoms, you're dead. Dead dead.

Well, mostly dead. There's the Milwaukee protocol, which has worked on 5 people so far, but there's some debate over whether it's legitimate.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rabies is also one of the deadliest diseases known to man. You have to get vaccinated right away after getting bitten, because if you start manifesting symptoms, you're dead. Dead dead.

Well, mostly dead. There's the Milwaukee protocol, which has worked on 5 people so far, but there's some debate over whether it's legitimate.

The Milwaukee Protocol sounds like a spy thriller centering on dairy cows.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Or college freshmans pre-gaming with lovely beer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mr. Fowl posted:

The Milwaukee Protocol was put into place after the Blackstar disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXnPT1qH8qE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"Why did we do it? Well, it seemed interesting." :downs:

Guess that still better then the reasons that the english nobles had for introducing Canadian Geese to Europe.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Xoidanor posted:

"Why did we do it? Well, it seemed interesting." :downs:

Guess that still better then the reasons that the english nobles had for introducing Canadian Geese to Europe.

More like, "Why did we do it? Because we liked Shakespeare."

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

While the Australian Minister was a massive jerk and completely out of touch (like the rest of his government), John showing the clip of the radio host telling him to shut up loses absolutely any impact if you've ever been exposed to the malignant, repugnant piece of poo poo that is Kyle Sandilands. Almost six years ago he participated in a radio segment where a 14 year old girl was hooked up to a lie detector and questioned about her sex life by Sandilands, his co-host and the girl's mother. She ended up revealing she had been sexually assaulted, and that her mother had known about it and still made her come onto the show. He subsequently got fired from his position as host of Australian Idol (not the radio show, which is still going) and the goddamn Prime Minister condemned him.

I bet you're wondering "well he's probably learned his lesson". Noooooope. Not one bit. Guy's just living garbage. His Wikipedia page is half 'Controversy' section, which is always a fantastic sign.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Miley Virus posted:

While the Australian Minister was a massive jerk and completely out of touch (like the rest of his government), John showing the clip of the radio host telling him to shut up loses absolutely any impact if you've ever been exposed to the malignant, repugnant piece of poo poo that is Kyle Sandilands. Almost six years ago he participated in a radio segment where a 14 year old girl was hooked up to a lie detector and questioned about her sex life by Sandilands, his co-host and the girl's mother. She ended up revealing she had been sexually assaulted, and that her mother had known about it and still made her come onto the show. He subsequently got fired from his position as host of Australian Idol (not the radio show, which is still going) and the goddamn Prime Minister condemned him.

I bet you're wondering "well he's probably learned his lesson". Noooooope. Not one bit. Guy's just living garbage. His Wikipedia page is half 'Controversy' section, which is always a fantastic sign.

Came here to post exactly this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, he's a result of the Sydney shock-jock-filled radio culture. Sydney! :argh:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 19, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Is there any shock jock radio personality that isn't a terrible human being?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Nope.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It turns out that being an rear end in a top hat on air is best done by people who are just assholes all the time.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Gonz posted:

The Milwaukee Protocol was put into place after the Blackstar disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXnPT1qH8qE

I guess it's a nice change of pace for Sheboygan that Milwaukee got the monster this time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That bit from The Rock last night killed me.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

fadam posted:

That bit from The Rock last night killed me.

Plus I had no idea John Spencer was in that.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I cannot stop giggling at "muppet donkey" aka alpaca.

Ditto on that Aussie shcok jock Sandilands being a piece of poo poo.

At one point I thought Oliver would say something like Australia being consistent with the treatment of illegals. Like, if we can turn away boatful of poor starving possible human asylum seekers, killing dogs is nothing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The federals just arrested the poo poo out of several top FIFA executives on corruption charges. Sepp Blatter was not among them, but if the New York Times is to be believed the people that did get hit count for something.

http://nyti.ms/1etKwQg

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Sepp Blatter was not among them

How.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

He's apparently the subject of a different investigation. The popular theory is that they'll try to flip one of the guys they arrested to fuel the investigation into him. So far they've got six, but The Guardian is claiming that there are as many as 15 warrants out on top FIFA execs.

One other, less likely theory going around is that they're waiting for him to declare himself President again on Friday.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The swiss raided their headquarters in Zurich as well over the obviously bribed Russia/Qatar world cup awards.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

DivisionPost posted:

The federals just arrested the poo poo out of several top FIFA executives on corruption charges. Sepp Blatter was not among them, but if the New York Times is to be believed the people that did get hit count for something.

http://nyti.ms/1etKwQg

Bye bye 2026 World Cup

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It would certainly be nice to see one of these big sporting organizations get taken down a peg. Has Oliver done anything about the IOC? They aren't quite as ridiculously corrupt as FIFA but their requirements for host countries are just as draconian. Basically anyone who hosts the Olympics has to turn the host city into a police state for the duration, suppressing any protests against the Olympics or their sponsors.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I don't know how big the FIFA organization is, but it seems like they arrested everybody high up except Sepp. And even better, Sepp is up for re-election on Friday. Given all the corruption and arrests, I don't see how he could possibly be reelected, but I'm sure that will happen (maybe even unanimously?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I don't know how big the FIFA organization is, but it seems like they arrested everybody high up except Sepp. And even better, Sepp is up for re-election on Friday. Given all the corruption and arrests, I don't see how he could possibly be reelected, but I'm sure that will happen (maybe even unanimously?)

Well its all up to the people who elect him, and that man is Sepp.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

They're probably waiting for the election on Friday.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It was either Oliver or Stewart who talked about how the IOC made applicant cities bidding for the games bend over backwards and treat the members like kings with insane hotel accommodations and stuff. And a few cities withdrew their bids precisely because it was loving ridiculous.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing I find so ridiculous about all that is the fact that there's basically no benefit for the nation actually hosting the games, so the fact that the organizations act like the country should be grateful to even be graced with the organization's attention makes no sense at all. In Oliver's segment on FIFA he mentioned that generally the country loses money, and basically any other big sporting event is the same - they have to spend so much just building all the poo poo the event requires that they can't possibly make it back in the short amount of time the event actually sticks around.

In some cases you could argue that the stadiums and such are still useful to the city afterwards, and that's sometimes true, but not always. Like the Brazilian world cup had that stadium that was going to be used for all of two games and then rot because the city it was built in was so small and remote that they had no team that would actually use it and probably never will. Montreal is still paying off their Olympic stadium from 1976 and it's in such lovely condition that it's just too dangerous to actually use.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKf-fAekds This is I think the only thing they've done on the IOC, a short thing on the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://distractify.com/culture/sports/haunting-images-of-abandoned-olympic-venues/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

This would be less of a problem if the IOC wasn't so deadset on the concept of the Olympic Village. Most developed countries have a lot of that required infrastructure already in place, just not all in one location. It's absurd to put world class facilities all in one city and expect people to make use of them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JohnSherman posted:

This would be less of a problem if the IOC wasn't so deadset on the concept of the Olympic Village. Most developed countries have a lot of that required infrastructure already in place, just not all in one location. It's absurd to put world class facilities all in one city and expect people to make use of them.
Say what you will about the hosed-up nature of FIFA and the World Cup, but at least it's played throughout a country, not just in one city.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Equestrian at the Beijing Olympics took place in Hong Kong.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Is Atlanta the only city that has actually made good use of its circa-1996 Olympic facilities? The '84 facilities in Los Angeles are still used, I guess.

There's a common thread here I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sydney came out pretty well compared to most host cities.

The common thread is just 'large city in a rich western country'. And I guess it helps if you build the stadium so it won't fall down, Montreal.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 27, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I mean I don't want to sound insensitive here but maybe countries who can't afford the Olympics shouldn't build Olympic facilities, especially in cities that don't need them long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I hate to break it to you, but sometimes governments don't have the best interest of the country or the population at heart. See: China, Brazil, South Africa, Russia, Qatar, etc

• Locked thread