Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What area is your office going to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That worked out really well for you man, well done!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'm jealous of your problem-free legality, Magna Kaser. Congrats!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

What area is your office going to?

Further down south. I'll probably be looking for a place in Yulin or Tongzilin.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hong Kong goons!
Just wanted to thank you for all the help and hospitality you showed me during my stay here. My phone unfortunately fought a losing battle with gravity a couple days back, so I haven't been able to check the WeChat, but I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye.

So long, and thanks for all the Caliburger.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My parents are planning to visit China and I have to write an invitation letter for their L visas. What should I put in it?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

My parents are planning to visit China and I have to write an invitation letter for their L visas. What should I put in it?

My dad and sister got their visas and I never sent them this??????

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Say you are a filial son and want to give your parents the joy of Glorious China to maintain harmony for your ten thousand generations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

No you don't. You just need hotel reservations. And a bullshit itinerary (or a real one).

(unless you actually want to get them Q2 visas)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
just have them go to irvine for the week, it's a lot closer, cheaper and you don't need a visa

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Requirements for invitation letters are on the various different embassy websites, but they never change.
Offhand, it's:

Your name, photocopy/scan of your ID card or passport photo page plus residence permit page plus visa page, your China address, your China phone number, your signature.

Their name, their sex, their relationship to you, the reason for visiting, the dates of the visit, whether you or they will be responsible for their accommodation / costs while in China, and at least one address they will be staying at if you aren't going to be responsible for them.

Check the actual websites for actual guidelines, because that's just what I remember. Easiest is just to say that you'll be responsible for their costs and accommodation (your address), since they're your parents and not your drug-and-whore-addicted 'friend' from college that you're helping out in order to cancel the favour you owed ever since he pulled you out the way of the cops when you were both fleeing the scene of Yet Another Unsolved Dead Hooker in Reno.
(just to watch her die)

It's worth using that sort of letter, because it saves a lot of hassle with hotels and stuff like that. 15 minutes of typing saves you looking for hotels that have e-receipts, generous cancellation policies, trusting that they'll honour said policies, then trusting them with your card details.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Atopian posted:

It's worth using that sort of letter, because it saves a lot of hassle with hotels and stuff like that. 15 minutes of typing saves you looking for hotels that have e-receipts, generous cancellation policies, trusting that they'll honour said policies, then trusting them with your card details.

You mean looking for a hotel on CTrip with 'pay at hotel' and no deposit required by that, right? Because that's not very difficult.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Atopian posted:

No it's not. Marriott will let you book and cancel immediately, no charge. Book a hotel, print the receipt and cancel it. They don't charge you until the date your stay begins. I did this literally 2 months ago and got my 10 year visa without issue. Nothing appeared on my credit card.

You're going through too much hassle to jump through the hoops.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 28, 2015

kenner116
May 15, 2009

SB35 posted:

I did this literally 2 months ago and got my 10 year visa without issue. Nothing appeared on my credit card.

How many days per entry did you get? I've heard 60 but I'm curious if it's possible to get more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Once you have the residence permit with your Z visa, you can leave and return freely as long as it's valid right? You don't have to apply for anything? Do you have to bring the RP booklet thing with you or is the one in your passport what they check?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Once you have the residence permit with your Z visa, you can leave and return freely as long as it's valid right? You don't have to apply for anything? Do you have to bring the RP booklet thing with you or is the one in your passport what they check?

It's unlimited entry yes. Just bring your passport. I don't have an RP booklet, is that your foreign expert certificate booklet?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

It's unlimited entry yes. Just bring your passport. I don't have an RP booklet, is that your foreign expert certificate booklet?

Maybe? I saw some kind of booklet thing that looked like a Chinese passport when I was at immigration, had my picture and info on the first page. I assume the office has it because I never got it. The person that handles that doesn't really speak English so I never knew what was going on there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Maybe? I saw some kind of booklet thing that looked like a Chinese passport when I was at immigration, had my picture and info on the first page. I assume the office has it because I never got it. The person that handles that doesn't really speak English so I never knew what was going on there.

I feel bad for the suckers that had to take a picture of you! Haha!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fart simpson posted:

I feel bad for the suckers that had to take a picture of you! Haha!

So do I, I'm bad.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, the office has it. You are technically supposed to keep it yourself but if the police show up at your office, they'll have to prove that you legally work there, so they definitely need it much more than you do. I've seen mine like twice in five and a half years. Some guy was posting here, in this very thread I think, about making a big stink and trying to keep it on him at all times, and I think all of us were like "dude stfu, it's not that important".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
One of my old students' mom wants me to review/correct/critique her daugter's writing via QQ/weibo. What should I charge for such a service, do you think? This would be a kid about 11 or 12 years old.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

Yes, the office has it. You are technically supposed to keep it yourself but if the police show up at your office, they'll have to prove that you legally work there, so they definitely need it much more than you do. I've seen mine like twice in five and a half years. Some guy was posting here, in this very thread I think, about making a big stink and trying to keep it on him at all times, and I think all of us were like "dude stfu, it's not that important".

That was me and you're misrepresenting the conversation. I wasn't making a big deal out of it I was just saying that I tricked my HR department into letting me have it on me at all times, and also one time I actually did need it at the border to get back into China.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

That's your foreign expert certificate. The residence permit is pasted into your passport and it's all you need for entry.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

kenner116 posted:

How many days per entry did you get? I've heard 60 but I'm curious if it's possible to get more.

Seems 60 is standard. I actually checked "other" and wrote 120 days. But was only give 60.

I currently have no reason for 120 days but I thought why not?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

That was me and you're misrepresenting the conversation. I wasn't making a big deal out of it I was just saying that I tricked my HR department into letting me have it on me at all times, and also one time I actually did need it at the border to get back into China.

No it wasn't you, it was someone coming to China for the first time and kept saying he was going to ask for it. I rememeber you told him your story, but it wasn't you that was saying he was going to try to keep the thing.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Could have been me, although I was persuaded by advice in-thread to settle for a high-quality colour scan&print, so it never became a big argument.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atopian posted:

Hokay, so, I'm finally legal, in that I've gotten my residency permit. Now I'm beginning the delicate process of getting my dodgy company to give me back the various bits of paperwork used to get it.

A question, then: what bits of paper are there? I know that I want my Foreign Experts' Certificate back, and my criminal background check certificate. I don't give two shits about my healthcheck papers, as they're only good for 6 months anyway. I've already got a copy of my contract, for all the legal good that a copy does in China (i.e: none). Are there other documents that I need to request? A counterpart to the residency page in my passport, for example? Are there are bits of paper that the company has legitimate (from my perspective) reasons to want to hold onto?

I'm aware that it won't be as simple as 'requesting', but I want to make sure that I ask for everything I want from the very start, and that I don't ask for anything impossible / non-existent. So... suggestions?

Yes it was you, this was the post I was referencing. I redact my original statement, fart Simpson was right in that I misrepresented the situation (though not how he claimed), you didn't make a big stink like I said you did. I apologize for my misrepresentation of the situation.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

It's no problem - I thoroughly support tweaking past events to make better stories. :-)

But, I do try to run counter to traditional trends by actually taking reasonable advice offered in these threads (and, more commonly, in wechat channels). Someone has to even things out!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arrived in Hong Kong last night, will be here for 1-2 months for work, the scan doesn't work for the WeChat so how can I add it manually?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm caberham.

Oh and there's Cantonese dinner tonight in Hong Kong island 8pm are you free?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure!

/e - my wechat is Sammythebu11 for other HK goons.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 31, 2015

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
Do we have goons in the frozen north? I'm moving from literally the worst city in china to DALIAN.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

caberham posted:

I'm caberham.

Oh and there's Cantonese dinner tonight in Hong Kong island 8pm are you free?

Why am I missing all the dinners :saddowns:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

One of these days I will get to Dalian

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeek posted:

Why am I missing all the dinners :saddowns:

Oops sorry. We had amazing Cantonese food as well  :saddowns: Come hang out with us next time and don't lurk so much

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Arrived in Hong Kong last night, will be here for 1-2 months for work, the scan doesn't work for the WeChat so how can I add it manually?

I'll fix the QR code. Did you get added to the goon chat?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Almond Crunch posted:

Do we have goons in the frozen north? I'm moving from literally the worst city in china to DALIAN.

What was wrong with Hong Kong?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SB35 posted:

I'll fix the QR code. Did you get added to the goon chat?
Yep, as far as I know I'm all situated. Jet lag waited until work to hit, or maybe it's because it's work.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
A month in China from late June. Gonna meander about the place and see what things are like. What do I need to set up beforehand internet wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fairly passive posted:

A month in China from late June. Gonna meander about the place and see what things are like. What do I need to set up beforehand internet wise?

Everything offline or a VPN. Astrill is a good one. Also recommend everything offline anyway.