Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

I mean I don't want to sound insensitive here but maybe countries who can't afford the Olympics shouldn't build Olympic facilities, especially in cities that don't need them long-term.

That's the trouble with the spell the Olympics has cast over everyone. It's just so "prestigious" to be an Olympic host that countries just don't think about how little they will actually benefit from hosting them. Even big rich countries tend to lose money hosting the Olympics - the only difference is that they can afford to eat the loss.

FIFA has the same problem, although in their case it seems to be catching up to them, at least.

*edit*

Samopsa posted:

I hate to break it to you, but sometimes governments don't have the best interest of the country or the population at heart. See: China, Brazil, South Africa, Russia, Qatar, etc

Yeah there's also this. If it personally benefits the people in power then who gives a poo poo how much it's actually going to cost the country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it also has to do with the level of facilities being demanded by the IOC.

At every iteration of the games, they have ramped up the technology behind the facilities as well as specialization. Down the line, that leads to higher upkeep costs and fewer uses due to the specialization.

The trick is trying to meet requirements while designing the structures so that they can be converted into other use later. But that's likely proving cost prohibitive.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah, even the general idea of building a completely new world-class facility every four years is insane. It'll never happen, but they should only change hosts every 20 years or so. Or never.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

JT Jag posted:

Is Atlanta the only city that has actually made good use of its circa-1996 Olympic facilities? The '84 facilities in Los Angeles are still used, I guess.

There's a common thread here I think.

London's come out pretty well, too. We're lucky in that we already had so many great stadiums that were used (Wimbledon for tennis, Wembley etc. for football.) The Olympic pool is now a public pool and the main stadium is going to be reduced in capacity and used by a football club, as well as for Athletics. I know that one of the stadiums was built in a way so that it could be deconstructed, shipped to Brazil and built up there again. I'm not saying all of this was cheap, but at least they seem to have put proper thought into all of it and nothing's just decaying.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

Is Atlanta the only city that has actually made good use of its circa-1996 Olympic facilities? The '84 facilities in Los Angeles are still used, I guess.

There's a common thread here I think.

Salt Lake City made money, if that's a metric to go by. I believe a bunch of their facilities are used for training a lot by the US teams still.

Russia was going to use their Olympic stadiums for the World Cup I think, same setup in Brazil but the other way around. Which doesn't make them a whole lot less wasteful in the grand scheme of things given what I'm sure it will take to modernize/maintain them to those standards (not that Russia's poo poo was ever up to par - roaming wild dogs.jpg).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yeah, even the general idea of building a completely new world-class facility every four years is insane. It'll never happen, but they should only change hosts every 20 years or so. Or never.
Or be like the Super Bowl and have a rotation of 5 or so cities that they always use, with someone new occasionally slipping in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The whole scale of the Olympics is just an obscene triumph of modern day industriousness. Countries fight for the "honor" of hosting them, under the pretense that tourism will make up the cost (I don't think it ever does), and then they erect these massive structures and put on a great show to show off to the rest of the world.

The sheer spectacle of the whole thing reminds me of what the World's Fair used to be, except instead of celebrating culture or science and providing lasting monuments, it's just a brief, fleeting celebration of how good each country's dudes are at running and jumping along with weird international rivalries and ludicrous amounts of money being spent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sweek0 posted:

London's come out pretty well, too. We're lucky in that we already had so many great stadiums that were used (Wimbledon for tennis, Wembley etc. for football.) The Olympic pool is now a public pool and the main stadium is going to be reduced in capacity and used by a football club, as well as for Athletics. I know that one of the stadiums was built in a way so that it could be deconstructed, shipped to Brazil and built up there again. I'm not saying all of this was cheap, but at least they seem to have put proper thought into all of it and nothing's just decaying.

The Velodrome is I think the only arena stuck with nothing to do outside the Anniversary Games, London put a big thing on what everything was going to do after the games. The basketball arena was inflatable and even the giant Mcdonalds in the Olympic Park was built so it could be taken down after the games were over.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

JT Jag posted:

Or be like the Super Bowl and have a rotation of 5 or so cities that they always use, with someone new occasionally slipping in.

The Super Bowl is coming to my city next, and it is just shocking how much free work the NFL expects people to do. I know people who did volunteer work for various Olympics, but it generally wasn't "do a full-time, highly professional project management job for 12 months" volunteer work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The Super Bowl is coming to my city next, and it is just shocking how much free work the NFL expects people to do. I know people who did volunteer work for various Olympics, but it generally wasn't "do a full-time, highly professional project management job for 12 months" volunteer work.

Do they still expect the musical guest for the halftime show to perform for free?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

muscles like this? posted:

Do they still expect the musical guest for the halftime show to perform for free?
Their initial offer to Katy Perry for this year's Super Bowl was for her to pay them. They eventually backed off of that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Also doing volunteer work for the London Olympics you got fed and got free tickets to a couple of events.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

njsykora posted:

The Velodrome is I think the only arena stuck with nothing to do outside the Anniversary Games, London put a big thing on what everything was going to do after the games. The basketball arena was inflatable and even the giant Mcdonalds in the Olympic Park was built so it could be taken down after the games were over.
Cycling popularity is on an upswing in the UK so I believe the velodrome is being kept busy with people who want to ride there, and the UCI world track championship comes to town early next year. The basketball arena was taken down and put up for sale early last year, but there doesn't seem to be much on what happened to it beyond that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

njsykora posted:

The Velodrome is holding competitions and it's also open to the public, including the BMX track and all.
http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/london2012/velo-park/

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JohnSherman posted:

This would be less of a problem if the IOC wasn't so deadset on the concept of the Olympic Village. Most developed countries have a lot of that required infrastructure already in place, just not all in one location. It's absurd to put world class facilities all in one city and expect people to make use of them.

The Olympic village is a pretty cool part of the Olympics actually. What they should do is just have the games in Athens every time instead of travelling around to places. Just have a different country do the opening/closing ceremonies every time or something to keep the "introduce your culture to the world" element.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

The Olympic village is a pretty cool part of the Olympics actually. What they should do is just have the games in Athens every time instead of travelling around to places. Just have a different country do the opening/closing ceremonies every time or something to keep the "introduce your culture to the world" element.

Yes except a place with modern infrastructure, capacity and construction standards.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Theoretically, if a country could build a world class facility that could be used every 2 years (assuming you can build one that can accommodate winter and summer games), they would probably profit nicely on that investment. The wastefulness is in building it for use once. I could see the Olympics reaching a point where all the developed countries don't want to host it anymore, and all that's left are dictatorships and human rights abusers, so the IOC decides to commit it to a single venue for at least 20 years. Athens would be the most logical place, but maybe it would be somewhere else just for the logistics and infrastructure. Plus the IOC could make all sorts of ridiculous demands in building a permanent Olympic village to their standards and codes.

Plus there's no reason those facilities can't be used during the off time. Ski slopes can be open to the public and stadiums can be rented out as concert venues or used by local sports teams.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Vancouver makes pretty good use of the stuff they built. Basically provided you are a large city in the developed world hosting the Olympics is generally ok for you cost wise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. The main issue is that most of the cities that could easily host the Olympics and then continue to find use in the facilities have already done so fairly recently, and it seems like it's convention that you have to wait a while to re-host. Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, London, LA, others that are pretty much ready as-is... they'd probably all be happy to be in a permanent rotation of the summer games.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 29, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

JT Jag posted:

Their initial offer to Katy Perry for this year's Super Bowl was for her to pay them. They eventually backed off of that.

I remember that! It was a great "too big for your britches" moment.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Orange Devil posted:

Now that we have Tinder and Grindr, do the athletes really need a centralized housing facility? Seriously, between the prison at Lake Placid and the too-short-for-basketball beds at London, it does seem like a mixed blessing.

sbaldrick posted:

Vancouver makes pretty good use of the stuff they built. Basically provided you are a large city in the developed world hosting the Olympics is generally ok for you cost wise.

I went to Whistler the summer before the Olympics and if the guides for one of our activities was to be believed, some of the facilities were already in use.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JT Jag posted:

Wow. Learn something new every day. :stare:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. The main issue is that most of the cities that could easily host the Olympics and then continue to find use in the facilities have already done so fairly recently, and it seems like it's convention that you have to wait a while to re-host. Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, London, LA, others that are pretty much ready as-is... they'd probably all be happy to be in a permanent rotation of the summer games.

Tokyo somehow hasn't hosted since 1964 somehow.

I know they have talked about if Rio is too hosed up they will just host in in London again because they could do it with like 6 months notice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

They've got 2020, don't forget.

sbaldrick posted:

I know they have talked about if Rio is too hosed up they will just host in in London again because they could do it with like 6 months notice.

Hah, they were saying the same thing with Athens and Sydney for a bit there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, aside from the huge opening and closing ceremonies, it doesn't really make a ton of sense why all of the various events even have to be held in the same city anyways.

30 years ago, maybe. But with modern technology, covering the games in various remote locations wouldn't be as difficult as it was before.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

covering the games in various remote locations wouldn't be as difficult as it was before.

Attending the games, on the other hand...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assume we will get something about todays election.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MikeJF posted:

They've got 2020, don't forget.

Hah, they were saying the same thing with Athens and Sydney for a bit there.

We'll likely never forget it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

That's a good point, but I guess I'm pretty ignorant about how these events are attended.

Is it typical for people to go to multiple different events to spectate or do people tend to go to their favorite. Are tickets purchased by event?

I guess what I'm getting at is of people don't really go or purchase tickets for more than one event, then it's fine. People just go to different places.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Who cares about the opulent fucks that actually attend more than one olympic event?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Bugle has confirmed that FIFA is being covered this week!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xoidanor posted:

Who cares about the opulent fucks that actually attend more than one olympic event?

If you do, just limit the area that the Olympics can be spread beyond the host city to a certain number of kilometers. Outside Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Russia and the U.S. it's probably not much of an issue to travel around anywhere in the host country for events. Let the huge area countries bid by State/Provence/Whichever Subdivision of Russia floats your boat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

Tokyo holding the olympics in the 2000s is literally the plot to a post apocalyptic anime or 12 I'm sure.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

IRQ posted:

Tokyo holding the olympics in the 2000s is literally the plot to a post apocalyptic anime or 12 I'm sure.

It is in fact part of the plot of Akira, yes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When was the chicken fucker vote? How will I know if my representative voted against it and I have to tweet he's a chicken fucker? I used to get the results of every weekly vote in my email but they stopped passing legislation or I got unsubscribed.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My toupee is more likely to stay on.

BOOM

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That episode was incredible

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oliver's contempt for whatever he's ranting about is always obvious but it's on a whole other level when he's ranting about FIFA. God drat he hates them and rightfully so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oliver's contempt for whatever he's ranting about is always obvious but it's on a whole other level when he's ranting about FIFA. God drat he hates them and rightfully so.

He is even willing to drink bud light lime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo that was great

• Locked thread