Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Does anyone else constantly lose their session in Hunger Quest? If my screen turns off because I am away for 15 seconds, that session is done. But it doesn't tell me until I finish the level....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like 8-bit and 16-bit vidya game emulation.

Is there a small, decent gamepad available because touchscreen just ain't doin' it for me

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

khy posted:

I like 8-bit and 16-bit vidya game emulation.

Is there a small, decent gamepad available because touchscreen just ain't doin' it for me

I have a Moga Hero Power, and I like it. It has all the buttons you need, and connects easily.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hunger Quest trip report: Dark mages are ASSHOLES.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

delfin posted:

Hunger Quest trip report: Dark mages are ASSHOLES.

I did a huge combo that cleared a bunch of blocks under me, as well as six or so dudes. I fell in the shaft on top of a Dark Mage that was one block below my vision. He hit me for 2/3s of my HP, I couldn't escape or kill him, and took another hit. Oh well, no real penalty for dying at least.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
at higher level play you pretty much stop with super big chains.

Wait will you encounter the falling spike ceilings.

Having to juggle monsters, item management and a time limit is insane.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
What's a good, thinking man's game without any IAP or DLC or whatever that is playable on a phone screen, with a nice UI?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

EzEight posted:

I got to that point and stopped. Adding time limits to a game when I'm playing between clients and have to walk away at a moment's notice is a deal breaker.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

EzEight posted:

I was absolutely :stare: when I first ran into the falling ceiling. Thank goodness rooms are random and there's a good chance I don't run into one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey how good is 80 Days? It'll be a while before I have enough survey bucks to buy it, but it might be next on my list.

Remember when I posted about my wife getting caught answering the trap question incorrectly? Yeah, she's also been getting a ton of surveys and I haven't gotten any. :argh:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey how good is 80 Days? It'll be a while before I have enough survey bucks to buy it, but it might be next on my list.

Remember when I posted about my wife getting caught answering the trap question incorrectly? Yeah, she's also been getting a ton of surveys and I haven't gotten any. :argh:

I got my first one in a really long time yesterday about if I like buying luxury products (I don't), but it gave me like $0.77 so I'm not complaining.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

She's a woman so I think they'd need more questions from her demographic

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

80 Days is fantastic and you should definitely pick it up.

My wife and I were getting caught up on RuPaul's Drag Race and I got a survey asking if I was transgendered :tinfoil:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I hope the question I got asking if I was of African descent wasn't another trap question. I answered "no" before remembering that technically we all are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EvilElmo posted:

I'm going to need a lot more questionnaires to buy either of them.

Desktop Dungeons is on the short list of "best game on Android, period". I was an early adopter into the PC version, and it has become so much more and better than it started out as that it's quite crazy.

I just wish the Android version were free to people who own it on Steam, or at least to people like me who "pre-ordered" it when it was being developed. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got a ten question survey asking how much I valued financial stability and being healthy. Worth 80 cents though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad Desktop Dungeons isn't available for phones, I barely play on my tablet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

It's too bad Desktop Dungeons isn't available for phones, I barely play on my tablet.

That was another Sproggiwood deciding factor.

Also, Sproggiwood is fantastic but sometimes brutally hard. What am I missing with the floating goldfish with the blue beam between them? They obliterate me because instead of dying they just teleport a little ways away and come back at full health.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
How does Sproggiwood compare to something like Crawl?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's not as obtuse or as many layered but it's far more polished. There's 6(?) classes with 4 abilities each, and you really have to think about how to handle each mob as they're all slightly different. There's less just auto attacking without thinking and then oops out of depth monster/i should have been paying attention. You're pretty much always paying attention. There's less gear and you start over level wise each map, but you can unlock gear permanently which also effects your tactics.

It's just a really great focused experience with fantastic art.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Jesus desktop dungeons is hard... Or I'm bad at video games

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Sproggiwood question: does tinkering around with your village have any impact on your game? Like is there any benefit to building extra houses etc?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For anybody that hasn't checked yet, Hungry Cat Picross now has last week's puzzle, at least until it moves to the next tomorrow afternoon.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Got a survey that was basically "Do you cook at home a lot?" and "Do you like cooking at home?" The end. easiest 20 cents I've ever made.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Does the shop get anything worthwhile to use gold on, or do you mostly buy books with it?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Some Zero posted:

http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDungeons/index.php?title=New_Players_Guide

It gets better once you kind of get into the habit of not wasting the unexplored tiles and fighting the right monsters and using the right spells and whatnot.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Some Zero posted:

XP is everything. You should always fight enemies at least a level above you for the XP boost. The game is designed around this mechanic. Also, check spells to see if they award extra XP and figure out how to exploit them to help farm XP. You'll never get your characters to level 10 just trading blows with enemies at your level.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Has anyone tried Heroes: A Grail Quest? On the face of it it looks like a fun little HoMM/King's Bounty clone, which is exactly something that I've been looking for on mobile, and since it's only a buck I'll probably give it a go regardless, but it'd be nice to hear if anyone has had any experiences with it.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Has anyone tried Heroes: A Grail Quest? On the face of it it looks like a fun little HoMM/King's Bounty clone, which is exactly something that I've been looking for on mobile, and since it's only a buck I'll probably give it a go regardless, but it'd be nice to hear if anyone has had any experiences with it.

Picked it up just now, played a few minutes.

It plays like a very simple one-dollar knockoff of King's Bounty (the original). There's a lot of room for improvement QoL and UI-wise, the combat seems a bit too simple for my tastes, and the reviews are saying that it's too easy even on hard difficulty.

But hey, it's a king's bounty clone on mobile, and I don't see anything majorly wrong with it gameplay wise. I'd consider that a dollar well spent.

Edit: For those unfamiliar with the original King's Bounty (sometimes called Heroes of Might and Magic Zero), you should read the Let's Play done a few years back. Aside from being entertaining (he breaks the game pretty thoroughly) it's a look at the sort of exploration-focused tactical gameplay you'd find here and in the modern KB series.

wall monitor fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 1, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

XP is everything. You should always fight enemies at least a level above you for the XP boost. The game is designed around this mechanic. Also, check spells to see if they award extra XP and figure out how to exploit them to help farm XP. You'll never get your characters to level 10 just trading blows with enemies at your level.

Also, once you learn the game's tricks, you will usually finish off the boss as low as level 5/6 with a lot of unkilled enemies on the screen.

It's a strategy game, not an RPG; XP doesn't carry over between dungeons after all, so your goal is to get in and get out, with sub-goals like "find rooms/solve puzzles in them to unlock gods/races/classes/items".

One simple tip that should be obvious but some people overlook it: when you level up, you heal to full. Monsters don't heal at all when you level up. This should make finishing bosses off a lot easier.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
New Humble Mobile Bundle out. The initial games this time are:

Timelines: Assault on America
The Ministry of Silly Walks
Hellraid: The Escape
Puzzle Retreat (beat the average)
Worms 3 (beat the average)
Twisty Hollow (beat the average)

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So I posit that there is a category of games that a whole lot of people play, but no one admits to. Shameful Games, where you should know better, but it's just fun to poop and watch coins move, like in Coin Dozer, etc. My new Shameful Game is Topps Bunt, https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Topps&hl=en It's just logging in every day to get coins to buy baseball cards, but then, but THEN... you can trade them to people, for OTHER CARDS. Also there is a fantasy baseball aspect to it, you make a lineup and if your dudes do good that day you get more coins, for more cards, forever, until you uninstall shamefully.
There's also a Star Wars version I guess, which is just collecting and trading without a game really attached to it.
So who is going to be Shameful and collect baseball cards with me?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Just got a Google rewards survey about what I believe to be 6 fake businesses. Seems similar to the water park question, but you choose which businesses you have experience with from a list instead of just yes/no.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Just got a Google rewards survey about what I believe to be 6 fake businesses. Seems similar to the water park question, but you choose which businesses you have experience with from a list instead of just yes/no.

So did I. Stay safe survey ghosts :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It keeps asking me how much money I make. It's asked me that literally a dozen or so times. It's like the app is saying "yeah sure buddy, try again". :mad:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Segmentation Fault posted:

So did I. Stay safe survey ghosts :ohdear:

As did I. I woke up at like 3 am, saw the survey, read through the list and went "what the gently caress is this?" and chose none and went back to sleep.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want more surveys :negative:

Hey, so for Seabeard, do you actually get a house? Also, I want to play with fellow goons! :smith:

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

precision posted:

It keeps asking me how much money I make. It's asked me that literally a dozen or so times. It's like the app is saying "yeah sure buddy, try again". :mad:

Same. I hate this, it's like it (the machine) thinks I'm lying about my big salary, 6 digits or even more than that.

Update: Just pressed yes or no on a survey and now I have 18 cents.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
This may be shocking but the designers have may difficulty believing that someone making six figures is really sitting through a bunch of pain in the rear end obtrusive surveys for 18 cents.

Of course, in real life, income often has little to do with the amount of spare time one's job affords them, but still. All this survey stuff is a pretty good example of the weird way gamers often perceive value. Do this many of you really want this much hassle so you can save what, $5 a year? That's assuming you only spend it on games you definitely would have bought out of pocket if you weren't getting surveys, which is kind of iffy in most cases. Do you also answer those phone surveys where they promise you a $5 Starbucks gift card?

I mean, I'm not super blaming anyone, I do something like it in WoW where I pay my subscription in ingame gold that I earn by logging in daily for 10 minutes, even when I have no other reason to, which maths out to a bit under minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Coldbird posted:

pain in the rear end obtrusive surveys

Opinion Rewards surveys are anything but, though?