Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

That loving Sned posted:

FFVII has a huge variety of weapons and fighting styles for its characters, but with the ATB system the only difference is the animation that's played when you tell them to attack.

In my dreams there's a remake where Cloud, Tifa, and Barrett control like Devil May Cry, God Hand, and Vanquish.

That was Ehrgeiz! ... I made myself sad :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Put Buddy in all the old games as a playable character

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Minrad posted:

I haven't played the steam port but I did play the 3d remake on tablet that the port is uh, porting.

I kind of like/hated the challenge modes, so I didn't miss them much, but they didn't put anything in to replace them in terms of exp, so you end up on the moon with dudes that are brutally too low level to be useful, so for example wanting to do my palom/porom/ursula/leonora/luca party was a huge pain in the rear end since they werent the proper level from doing the challenge dungeons, so I had to spend like an hour or two just slowly grinding poo poo on the moon and healing at the whale.

I still think the PSP port is the best version of 4 and TAY.

Lookit them non-ugly 2d graphics... I wanna boot it up and play it again but my PSP is in awful, awful shape, and I don't particularly care about upgrading or replacing it. Oh well.

If FF4+TAY on iOS was the PSP version I'd have bought them but the DS's 3d models are ugly as gently caress and the voice acting is something I could've done without. To say nothing of augments or their retarded limited-use NG+ system.

Rirse posted:

Why not just get a Playstation TV, they are only $50 dollars and this game does work on it.

Would Tactics Ogre work on one as well? I want to play the PSP version, though I also want to mod the crafting system to not be a loving nightmare. The latter is important because the current LP makes it look like the worst loving time sink.

Mega64 posted:

I can't wait to see how they're gonna gently caress up the Mana series next.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new one for mobile?

There is and I think that was the game that everyone thought was horrible.

Sunning posted:

SaGa 2015 is a game for Vita. Imperial SaGa is a F2P PC Browser game.

Not to be confused with the other browser based SaGa game that only runs (properly) on mobile phone browsers and is little more than a glorified flash... thing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Help Im Alive posted:

There are a lot of possibilities

Lightning as a member of Avalanche
Lightning as a SeeD
Lightning as a summoner's guardian
Lightning as a Gullwing
Lightning as a sky pirate

I am actually down with all of these especially the Gullwing because she already has all the outfits she needs for all the dress spheres.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I haven't actually started yet because I keep getting distracted, but is the PC version of FF13-2 the one with the super broken lightning "monster" you can get by doing some bonus chapter or whatever?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Another FF4TAY change: in the 3d version, the Eblan Four and Calcabrina are not missable. In the latter case, the items you need to fix them are dropped in a scripted fight, so you don't have to grind for rare drops to save them.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If FF4+TAY on iOS was the PSP version I'd have bought them but the DS's 3d models are ugly as gently caress and the voice acting is something I could've done without. To say nothing of augments or their retarded limited-use NG+ system.

Would Tactics Ogre work on one as well? I want to play the PSP version, though I also want to mod the crafting system to not be a loving nightmare. The latter is important because the current LP makes it look like the worst loving time sink.
thing.

agreed about that 3d remake.

the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre works fine on PS TV but I doubt the latter is possible.. as far as I know you can't really do anything custom with the software on them since they're basically a Vita.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Evil Fluffy posted:

I believe it does, yeah. I keep trying to play TO but I just can't get into it, last year I replayed FFT and thought it would be the perfect time to try and beat TO but I guess I'm not pro enough for it.
A PSTV is probably the best way to play the most amount of final fantasy, still no loving Crisis Core though :argh:

Is there any way to get TWEWY on iPad now? Is that port even any good or would i be better off tracking down the DS version?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fruitpunch posted:

I believe it does, yeah. I keep trying to play TO but I just can't get into it, last year I replayed FFT and thought it would be the perfect time to try and beat TO but I guess I'm not pro enough for it.
A PSTV is probably the best way to play the most amount of final fantasy, still no loving Crisis Core though :argh:

Is there any way to get TWEWY on iPad now? Is that port even any good or would i be better off tracking down the DS version?

Believe it does work. Only PSP game on the PSN Store that doesn't work are Peace Walker and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles because Konami is too busy being dead to update them to work.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nuebot posted:

So I haven't actually started yet because I keep getting distracted, but is the PC version of FF13-2 the one with the super broken lightning "monster" you can get by doing some bonus chapter or whatever?

It is but for whatever reason you can't do the DLC until after you beat the game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drat, Record Keeper was a big surprise. I normally go out of my way to avoid frito phone games, but it sates that itch to see numbers going up and playing an ATB system, without requiring you to just play an actual FF game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

Many of the faces we see associated with FFXIV:ARR, FFXV, and KH3 are young lions out to prove themselves.

THE CONCRETE JUNGLE OF THE JRPG GAMING LANDSCAPE, WHERE ONLY THE MOST WEEABOO SURVIVE.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My favorite final fantasies:

I - Mostly from getting excited about the idea of an RPG by reading a strategy guide I had for it (but did not have an NES or the game) over and over. I am cursed though and never beat FF1 as my only good shots at it the save ended up being deleted somehow by accident.

III (Famicom) - gently caress the remake (and gently caress Tanaka) but the original FF3 for the Famicom is an incredible game that does amazing things with the hardware, and has a great pace that modern RPGs can really take a page from, including the awful remake. The job system was also a great addition to the series, even if the first stab at it here was very flawed in its execution.

IV - Once I finally got a game system it was an SNES and I HAD to get the "second" Final Fantasy! It's a classic, solid game, and implemented ATB pretty well for it being the game that invented it, as the rest of the series' track record on inventing new poo poo isn't as good the first time around

VI - Maybe my favorite overall, definitely of the 2D era. It's so huge and expansive and imaginative, the story is surprisingly deep and sometimes dark for an SNES game, the Opera is a goddamned masterpiece, its main characters for both "halves" of the game are women, one of the best soundtracks of the series with Terra's Theme probably being my favorite Final Fantasy song of all time, also Aria de Mezzo Carate is kinda sorta amazing as gently caress.

VII - The Shawshank Redemption of Final Fantasies. Overhyped, but still great. It aged way better than most people assume, and I still pick it up occasionally. My other favorite Final Fantasy song is the regular battle theme from FFVII. It's better than Man with a Machine Gun, which is also a great song.

IX - I really wish they'd do a classic Final Fantasy in a modern engine again omg. Also Vivi.

XI - Spent years of my life on this game. Finally hit level 75 yesterday. I've been playing it again recently and it's kind of an amazing game now with all the bullshit level grinding all but removed, and back in the day there was a special comradere with your fellow adventurers against the harsh mistress of the game itself, and the kind of community it fostered will probably never exist again. Thank gently caress.

XII - After 11 games of mashing X repeatedly, I didn't have to for once. Probably one of my favorite games to just grind in, though I could never bring myself to finish it. I prefer to leave it at the part where the committee took over and it got super bad.

XIV - Even when it was a disaster I knew I'd be playing it for decades, but ARR far exceeded my and pretty much everyone's hopes and dreams for what fun, modern online FF game would be like. I don't go through the time and expense of running a website and mumble server for over 1,000 active players for nothing!

Honorable Mention:

VIII - I hate it but it introduced vocal tracks to the series, the opening movie and song is amazing, Eyes on Me is amazing, and overall the soundtrack is incredible. As for like, everything else though, ugh.

X - While not a standout favorite, X has great music (quite a feat considering it's what, the first one that Nobuo didn't do?) and is still a fun game overall.

V - The job system is great and one of the best additions to the series. I really need to actually finish a fiesta sometime.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 29, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

As for the best Final Fantasy music live performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VHkECWtB7c

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Artix posted:

It is but for whatever reason you can't do the DLC until after you beat the game.

That's weird. Does that apply to all the DLC or just that one? And by "beat the game" do you mean any ending?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nuebot posted:

That's weird. Does that apply to all the DLC or just that one? And by "beat the game" do you mean any ending?

All the DLC, yeah. And I'm pretty sure any ending will work, but I got the main ending.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boten Anna posted:

VIII - I hate it but it introduced vocal tracks to the series
Actually that was One-Winged Angel and vocal parts are listed in the credits
:goonsay:

Also Mr. Goo is great. He looks like a fatter, older version of my bro's cousin.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Artix posted:

Nuebot posted:

Artix posted:

All the DLC, yeah. And I'm pretty sure any ending will work, but I got the main ending.

Can't you only get the main ending before you have access to any of the others? Also is the DLC after the ending a PC thing because I'm pretty sure I was able to access it at at any point I had free run of the Historia Crux. The Summary on the PSN page seems to indicate as much

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/final-fantasy-xiii-2-lightning-requiem-of-the-goddess/cid=UP0082-BLUS30776_00-0000000000000002

PSN Store Description posted:

This downloadable content features FINAL FANTASY® XIII-2 spoilers. Completing the main game is recommended before playing.

Get ready for a new episode in Valhalla! Complete Lightning's exciting story under certain conditions to unlock the fierce warrior cloaked in divine armor as a party member!

To access this content, enter the Historia Crux (available from Chapter 2 onwards) and select "Valhalla -??? AF-".

EDIT:I have just rushed through the opening of XIII-2 on a fresh alt account save and I can confirm on the PS3 Version the DLC is available immediately after you have access to the Crux.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 29, 2015

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wanted to say that you are absolutely correct about the crafting system, but also add that if you get creative with recruiting enemies (to strip their gear and boot them) and don't care much about optional content, you'll never encounter a point where it matters. The basic craftables (which aren't nearly as frustrating) and the gear provided by the shops through story progression are enough to take you through the main game no sweat, and the epilogue chapters can be done with gear appropriated from enemy recruits.

You'll never have the best of the best, sure, but some things aren't worth the trouble.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

My favorite final fantasies:

I - Mostly from getting excited about the idea of an RPG by reading a strategy guide I had for it (but did not have an NES or the game) over and over. I am cursed though and never beat FF1 as my only good shots at it the save ended up being deleted somehow by accident.

III (Famicom) - gently caress the remake (and gently caress Tanaka) but the original FF3 for the Famicom is an incredible game that does amazing things with the hardware, and has a great pace that modern RPGs can really take a page from, including the awful remake. The job system was also a great addition to the series, even if the first stab at it here was very flawed in its execution.

IV - Once I finally got a game system it was an SNES and I HAD to get the "second" Final Fantasy! It's a classic, solid game, and implemented ATB pretty well for it being the game that invented it, as the rest of the series' track record on inventing new poo poo isn't as good the first time around

VI - Maybe my favorite overall, definitely of the 2D era. It's so huge and expansive and imaginative, the story is surprisingly deep and sometimes dark for an SNES game, the Opera is a goddamned masterpiece, its main characters for both "halves" of the game are women, one of the best soundtracks of the series with Terra's Theme probably being my favorite Final Fantasy song of all time, also Aria de Mezzo Carate is kinda sorta amazing as gently caress.

VII - The Shawshank Redemption of Final Fantasies. Overhyped, but still great. It aged way better than most people assume, and I still pick it up occasionally. My other favorite Final Fantasy song is the regular battle theme from FFVII. It's better than Man with a Machine Gun, which is also a great song.

IX - I really wish they'd do a classic Final Fantasy in a modern engine again omg. Also Vivi.

XI - Spent years of my life on this game. Finally hit level 75 yesterday. I've been playing it again recently and it's kind of an amazing game now with all the bullshit level grinding all but removed, and back in the day there was a special comradere with your fellow adventurers against the harsh mistress of the game itself, and the kind of community it fostered will probably never exist again. Thank gently caress.

XII - After 11 games of mashing X repeatedly, I didn't have to for once. Probably one of my favorite games to just grind in, though I could never bring myself to finish it. I prefer to leave it at the part where the committee took over and it got super bad.

XIV - Even when it was a disaster I knew I'd be playing it for decades, but ARR far exceeded my and pretty much everyone's hopes and dreams for what fun, modern online FF game would be like. I don't go through the time and expense of running a website and mumble server for over 1,000 active players for nothing!

Honorable Mention:

VIII - I hate it but it introduced vocal tracks to the series, the opening movie and song is amazing, Eyes on Me is amazing, and overall the soundtrack is incredible. As for like, everything else though, ugh.

X - While not a standout favorite, X has great music (quite a feat considering it's what, the first one that Nobuo didn't do?) and is still a fun game overall.

V - The job system is great and one of the best additions to the series. I really need to actually finish a fiesta sometime.

This is just a list of every game in the series besides II and XIII

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I actually think all the numbered games are pretty okay sans 2 and 13.

4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 14 are my faves and I find it hard to narrow it down beyond that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

somehow he put 3 above 5 which really just means he's insane

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I used to dislike FF5 at first, but years later I plowed through the GBA version and I know realize it owns. It's probably my 2nd favorite after FF6. Sorry Cecil and Kain, you guys got bumped down a spot.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I used to dislike FF5 at first, but years later I plowed through the GBA version and I know realize it owns. It's probably my 2nd favorite after FF6. Sorry Cecil and Kain, you guys got bumped down a spot.

cess-il

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
I'm replaying 12 after all these years (nearly a decade, holy poo poo) and drat I forgot how engrossing the story was to me. I haven't paid as much attention to the plot of a Final Fantasy game since I was a little kid playing 9. I hosed myself over on the license board though, completely forgot that each quickening can only be unlocked by one character :shobon:

Im up to the Lhusu Mines now and I can't wait for more. What a great game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It'll just take longer to get to them depending on where each character goes (... first ...) on the license board. But there are 18 quickening nodes to grab, so you can eventually get three for everyone.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

That makes sense, there's a reason she did that.

Also way late, but I agree with Boten Anna's analysis of Theatrythm OG 100% and had all the same complaints when I played it. It's all kind of pointless though because Curtain Call addressed almost every single one of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol that was that person. That explains it then

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

And? :smug:

corn in the bible posted:

somehow she put 3 above 5 which really just means she's insane

Fixed, also they're in series order not favorite order. If I picked my absolute favorites, VI and XIV, with IX and XII as runners up.

bloodychill posted:

That makes sense, there's a reason she did that.

Also way late, but I agree with Boten Anna's analysis of Theatrythm OG 100% and had all the same complaints when I played it. It's all kind of pointless though because Curtain Call addressed almost every single one of them.

Yeah, there was only I think one item on my list that is still in curtain call, and it veered into the subjectively bad more than the rest of the items. The overall point I was trying to make was that they kind of have a habit of not thinking through their game systems and leaving a poor first impression, only to fix it later in a sequel or reboot, often at great expense and after damaging their IPs a bit (or a lot), and I hope that they soon learn their lesson as it HAS to be cheaper to cultivate a team and process that does a way better job on the first release than to continue what seems to be a development method where game systems are kind of thrown together last minute and hobbled together from various teams' work instead of planned out and tested throughout development by a specialized team.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Captain Q posted:

I'm replaying 12 after all these years (nearly a decade, holy poo poo) and drat I forgot how engrossing the story was to me. I haven't paid as much attention to the plot of a Final Fantasy game since I was a little kid playing 9. I hosed myself over on the license board though, completely forgot that each quickening can only be unlocked by one character :shobon:

Im up to the Lhusu Mines now and I can't wait for more. What a great game.

It's interesting how ahead FFXII was in foreshadowing the design trends that would dominate the RPG genre in the coming years. Large environments in an open/semi-open world? MMORPG style quests? Aimed at a mature audience with an older cast? Politically charged medieval setting with kingslayers and power struggles over an empty throne? With the right marketing, it probably wouldn't have looked too odd if you placed it next to Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, or the Witcher 3.

The original Japanese release of FFXII came just a few days before Oblivion's release in March. That seemed to be a turning point in the direction of the RPG genre in the changing tastes of consumers and the developers who take advantage of this trend. Back then, it seemed certain that Square-Enix and other Japanese developers would be force to be reckoned with on consoles. However, the rise of the Xbox, better middleware, PC developers migrating to consoles, and Japanese developers struggling with HD development have reserved fortunes. In 2006, who would have thought a regional Polish publisher would go on to make one of the most commercially and critically successful RPG developers in the world?

What's especially funny is how some of the visual and gameplay designs pioneered by Square would do on to be better utilized by other developers. Bioware not only took inspiration from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within for Mass Effect but also looked to Final Fantasy 12 when developing the Dragon Age series. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as letting Blizzard letting Dota slip from their hands.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I think that sometimes SE doesn't quite realize what their strengths and weaknesses really are from a Western perspective, which makes sense because they make decisions that don't make sense to me as I'm outside of a Japanese cultural context. This wouldn't really be a problem if they weren't trying to be an international game developer with worldwide renown, but they end up leaving a lot of cool ideas, mechanics, and breakthroughs on the table because the whole package didn't sell well or resonate in Japan while the Western fanbase froths at the mouth for more. FF12 is the pinnacle of this, where they undermined it by redesigning it by committee to better meet Japanese tastes and ended up turning what could have been a massively popular PS2 swansong into a relatively obscure also-ran that didn't do a good job of resonating with either market.

Remember that a lot of conventional wisdom to us as to what the "good" or "popular" Final Fantasies are are totally different in Japan; IV is a huge developer favorite and VI's reception was lukewarm, whereas here VI tends to be revered as one of the best games ever and IV as pretty good but in few fans' top 3. Lo and behold, IV got a thorough and beautiful remake and remaster, while VI got an OK GBA port and a lovely mobile port. I totally didn't know how much Mass Effect borrowed from Spirits Within but it makes complete sense, as does western devs in general taking cue from the things in the series that didn't resonate with Japanese players but are huge in the Western fanbase and running with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Remember that a lot of conventional wisdom to us as to what the "good" or "popular" Final Fantasies are are totally different in Japan; IV is a huge developer favorite and VI's reception was lukewarm, whereas here VI tends to be revered as one of the best games ever and IV as pretty good but in few fans' top 3.

You're actually looking at this from a bad perspective here which leads to some of your confusion.

VI is actually not one of the more popular FF games in the west. What it is is popular among a very specific section of fandom. You see that segment of fandom over-represented on places like Something Awful just due to demographics but in terms of actual popularity it tends not to do so well, even in terms of re-release sales. FFVII is obviously the giant elephant in the room but FFVI's popularity is loud-but-small. In comparison FFIV does really well even overseas. People on SA will downtalk it a lot (and in places connected to SA) but it actually does fairly well for itself on a mix of nostalgia and constant re-releases.

This is part of why it isn't as easy to figure out as people think. There's a lot of echo chambers on the internet and it can be very easy to fall into one and assume that particular demographic's likes and dislikes can be applied outwards. Very often though it isn't so easy because what different demographics are looking for is wildly different.

I mean let's be honest here: SA will shame the poo poo out of a lot of things and so even people who like things tend to not admit liking them. Yet outside of SA there are a lot of places where things that SA utterly disregards are major selling points for people. It depends on the age demographic, the gender demographic, and so-on. To really understand why a FF works and doesn't work you have to take in a lot of (often conflicting) data. Even if two people say they like FFX's story they may like it for completely different reasons.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 29, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I would make a list of my favorite FFs in order but it'd have FF4TAY on it and i can't handle that shame

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

You're actually looking at this from a bad perspective here which leads to some of your confusion.

VI is actually not one of the more popular FF games in the west. What it is is popular among a very specific section of fandom. You see that segment of fandom over-represented on places like Something Awful just due to demographics but in terms of actual popularity it tends not to do so well, even in terms of re-release sales. FFVII is obviously the giant elephant in the room but FFVI's popularity is loud-but-small.

This is part of why it isn't as easy to figure out as people think. There's a lot of echo chambers on the internet and it can be very easy to fall into one and assume that particular demographic's likes and dislikes can be applied outwards. Very often though it isn't so easy because what different demographics are looking for is wildly different.

I mean let's be honest here: SA will shame the poo poo out of a lot of things and so even people who like things tend to not admit liking them. Yet outside of SA there are a lot of places where things that SA utterly disregards are major selling points for people. It depends on the age demographic, the gender demographic, and so-on. To really understand why a FF works and doesn't work you have to take in a lot of (often conflicting) data. Even if two people say they like FFX's story they may like it for completely different reasons.

Counterpoint. (I'm not being serious here.)

Are there any sales data on how the mobile/Steam ports of the mainline FF games have done? Doubt it but it'd be neat to compare the first six with each other.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Minrad posted:

I would make a list of my favorite FFs in order but it'd have FF4TAY on it and i can't handle that shame

i was playing tay and i have to say some parts of it are good, but edward's tale may be the worst final fantasy ever

edward, please do the same dungeon three times in order to save your dumbass secretary

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

VI is actually not one of the more popular FF games in the west. What it is is popular among a very specific section of fandom. You see that segment of fandom over-represented on places like Something Awful just due to demographics but in terms of actual popularity it tends not to do so well, even in terms of re-release sales. FFVII is obviously the giant elephant in the room but FFVI's popularity is loud-but-small.

I didn't really make it clear when I was talking about western fanbase versus west in general, so apologies for any confusion, but yes FFVI is a huge fan favorite in the west (I have talked to a LOT of other Final Fantasy fans over years, VI is, generally speaking, a Western fan favorite and no I don't care that you or some guy you know didn't like it, that's not the point) whereas probably the most popular overall is FFVII, which is the only Final Fantasy to really break into mainstream western pop culture. While I'm sure VII was a popular enough entry in Japan, the Final Fantasy series was already a pop culture force, it wasn't the same breakthrough it was here; it couldn't be. The clamoring for a remake is likewise probably not as pronounced in Japan, because if it was they probably would have already done it by now. Yes, we have a billion reasons in our fan echo chambers why it will probably never happen and shouldn't happen, all of which I probably agree with, but that's irrelevant to the point that someone with a suit probably would have said "I don't care, make it happen" if they were going entirely by the Western fanbase and greater cultural reaction.

In general you will probably understand my posts better if you stop assuming I'm speaking for or about my personal or clique's tastes by default though, as unless I explicitly say so I'm probably talking about greater trends or how something is generally received, or trying to reverse engineer whatever the gently caress SE is doing that lends to certain patterns in their releases. I don't care to argue about your taste or make you defend anything, or to put out my personal tastes as a fact, so if your interpretation of my posts leads you to feel defensive, you are looking at my posts from the wrong perspective, leading to your confusion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

While I'm sure VII was a popular enough entry in Japan, the Final Fantasy series was already a pop culture force, it wasn't the same breakthrough it was here; it couldn't be.

It absolutely was. You're really underestimating how big FFVII was. Remember that the big RPG franchise in Japan wasn't Final Fantasy. It was Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy VII is the game that really made FF a competitor even in Japan. The fact that it was hugely successful in the west compared to DQ is what made it a dominant force.

Boten Anna posted:

The clamoring for a remake is likewise probably not as pronounced in Japan, because if it was they probably would have already done it by now

Final Fantasy VII's remake is one of the most-request games in Japanese polls every single time it comes up. The reason it hasn't been remade isn't because it isn't popular enough in Japan.

Boten Anna posted:

In general you will probably understand my posts better if you stop assuming I'm speaking for or about my personal or clique's tastes by default though

Because you are and you continue to. You try to frame it as being unobjective but you're not. You then try to turn it around and go "you're defensive about your tastes!!!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 29, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

i was playing tay and i have to say some parts of it are good, but edward's tale may be the worst final fantasy ever

edward, please do the same dungeon three times in order to save your dumbass secretary

it's okay, you get to do it again in porom's tale and ceodore's tale

gently caress i think it's even part of that weird prequel to TAY that the psp version had

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Here's what Kitase said about the popularity of FFVI in different regions in his personal encounters with fans:

Yoshinori Kitase posted:

“In those days we didn’t have the Internet and, as a more junior staff member, I wasn’t given the opportunity to venture overseas – so I wasn’t really aware of the reception the game received outside of Japan,” says Kitase. “However, in more recent years, I’ve regularly tagged along on PR tours to Europe and America – and I have had a lot more opportunity to talk with foreign media and fans. I must say, whenever I go on these tours I’m taken aback by the number of westerners who ask me to sign their Final Fantasy 6 cases. In Japan that would apply more to the subsequent game, Final Fantasy 7, but I get the impression there’s a large number of players in the West who prefer the earlier game.”

http://www.gamesradar.com/making-final-fantasy-6/

Mega64 posted:

Counterpoint. (I'm not being serious here.)

Are there any sales data on how the mobile/Steam ports of the mainline FF games have done? Doubt it but it'd be neat to compare the first six with each other.

Total Players (Owners) without margin of error according to Steam Spy:

FF3: 66,595 (91,849)
FF4: 45,083 (77,258)
FF4 TAY: 4,864 (9,540)
FF7: 667,076 (841,235)
FF8: 284,714 (392,838)
FF13: 291,448 (352,806)
FF13-2: 86,050 (166,301)
FF14 ARR: 228,594 (264,511)

Bonus Round:
Tomb Raider 2013: 2,510,983 (3,056,654)
Just Cause 2: 2,658,391 (3,387,948)
Thief 2014: 750,321 (1,055,612)
Hitman Absolution: 1,639,257 (2,209,620)
The Last Remnant: 384,607 (630,224)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

In general you will probably understand my posts better if you stop assuming I'm speaking for or about my personal or clique's tastes by default though, as unless I explicitly say so I'm probably talking about greater trends or how something is generally received, or trying to reverse engineer whatever the gently caress SE is doing that lends to certain patterns in their releases. I don't care to argue about your taste or make you defend anything, or to put out my personal tastes as a fact, so if your interpretation of my posts leads you to feel defensive, you are looking at my posts from the wrong perspective, leading to your confusion.

lmfao