Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Crazy Ted posted:

ABC (United States): Sources say Sepp Blatter is being investigated by the FBI

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember when he said last month that he wasn't coming to the Copa America Centennial next year? I think he's going to be here for that, at least.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Azhais posted:

Unfortunately we're very good at ousting moderately corrupt regimes and replacing them with extremely corrupt regimes that hate America.

FIFA 2.0 will kick the USA from the World Cup and dozens of people will be inconsolable.

I get the feeling that if the USA got kicked out of FIFA, a ton of Americans would be furious. Not because they care about footy, but because how dare they kick us out.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

ABC (United States): Sources say Sepp Blatter is/was being investigated by the FBI

well no poo poo

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Crazy Ted posted:

Valcke probably rolled on him already and unless you're willing to bring the whole organization down you aren't getting poo poo if you're the one in charge when the DOJ brings RICO charges against you especially since you'd be traditionally looking at 50-life.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think the moral of the story is, if America says it would like a World Cup now, it gets a goddamned World Cup.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
He probably just resigned because of pressure from the other guys at FIFA over all the sponsors pulling out, not because he's going to be arrested or whatever. in the end, it's all about the money baby

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

ABC (United States): Sources say Sepp Blatter is/was being investigated by the FBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo
Wonder if he quit to avoid travelling to Canada for the Women's World Cup (and subsequently extradition).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JFairfax posted:

well no poo poo
Well it is the first confirmation that he is a personal target of the investigation. I think we all assumed this would go right to the top, but finding hard evidence of that would be a different matter.

EDIT: More from ESPN/ABC and their source - "It's likely going to be a race to see who flips on Sepp first"

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 2, 2015

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mean Bean Machine posted:

He probably just resigned because of pressure from the other guys at FIFA over all the sponsors pulling out, not because he's going to be arrested or whatever. in the end, it's all about the money baby

Follow the money

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
What a chump to resign days after being reelected

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There is but if they're changing Fifa (lol) maybe they can change that rule so we don't have to have a world cup in the loving winter.

There'll be some rule about 'extreme circumstances' designed for if someone has a civil war or something, they can reasonably declare half the governing organisation being arrested an extreme circumstance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're far more likely to take the world cup away from Russia than Qatar but neither will happen

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Remember when he said last month that he wasn't coming to the Copa America Centennial next year? I think he's going to be here for that, at least.

Yeah, about that, I wouldn't buy a ticket for that tournament if I were you. Looks like it won't happen.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm happy for America.

the glow
May 31, 2009
I hope they arrest Blatter and put him in one of those terrorist prisons

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kurt_Cobain posted:

What a chump to resign days after being reelected

Especially after being elected president of everyone.

Jose posted:

They're far more likely to take the world cup away from Russia than Qatar but neither will happen

Russia is probably still happening since it's only 3 years away and is at least plausible as far as host countries go, but I would be shocked is Qatar still happens.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 2, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Hopefully now all these frauds are gone we can stop pretending and end the sham that is Womens soccer. Cancel the "womens world cup"

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Hopefully now all these frauds are gone we can stop pretending and end the sham that is Womens soccer. Cancel the "womens world cup"

There's a rumour that Blatter has stepped down because women are going to be in Fifa 16.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

granuiad posted:

Right, so who is likely to be in the running to replace Blatter? Here are some of the names being thrown about …

Prince Ali bin Hussein (the only man brave enough to stand against him last time out and who has said he will stand in a new election)
Michel Platini (the Uefa president is a likely favourite but has been supportive of Blatter in the past although recent comments have been more unfavourable against the Fifa regime)
Luis Figo (was a candidate against Blatter but withdrew before the last election)
Senes Erzik (Turkish former Uefa vice president lauded by Platini)
Ted Howard (deputy general secretary of Concacaf)

Though personally I think the ultimate winner could be somebody from outside of football. It feels like there’s a huge craving among the world of football and members of the public for a clean break.

tony blair for fifa president

has recent experience in dealing w/ tricky middle eastern diplomatic situations, gets along with americans (a must for the new president), very good at disappointing british ppl

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

A Winner is Jew posted:

Especially after being elected president of everyone.

Russia is probably still happening since it's only 3 years away and is at least plausible as far as host countries go, but I would be shocked is Qatar still happens.

Russia hosting a World Cup is almost as bad as Qatar. Can't wait for the tidal wave of bananas thrown on the pitch whenever African teams or Wales play.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a rumour that Blatter has stepped down because women are going to be in Fifa 16.

Have you transcended bitterness into joy yet or are you waiting for Blatter's court day?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jose posted:

A)They're far more likely to take the world cup away from Russia than Qatar
B ) but neither will happen

Explain.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
lol how will women players stat ratings compare to the men's???

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
holy poo poo sepp resigned?!?!?!?!/

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

BlueBayou posted:

I get the feeling that if the USA got kicked out of FIFA, a ton of Americans would be furious. Not because they care about footy, but because how dare they kick us out.

While MLS is not that popular and PL games are enjoyed by a niche market, the World Cup is more popular in the US than people give it credit for. ESPN and Fox basically got into a bidding war over the US rights.

While some of that may be people watching for the countries that their great great great grandparents came from, seeing and hoping Americans kick rear end in sports is something almost everyone can enjoy. It was pretty much a month long obsession here.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lu Yan posted:

Have you transcended bitterness into joy yet or are you waiting for Blatter's court day?

There's no joy yet. He's still in charge. There's plenty of time for today's events to change, because he has an unbelievable number of followers within football. Much as I'd love to get as excited as some have, ive been following this game far too long.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Jimmyji 11m ago

Super power intimidates old man. And wins.

I thought Sepp Blatter's words at his resignation worthy and to the point.

Tragicallyhip5440 15m ago

Every sport is corrupt these days. Look at how Lance Armstrong pulled off all those wins, the worlds recent boxing fiasco and the way the US military were getting kickbacks for promotion at pro football games. It's all bad apples. The big dog of course is the US so they get to decide who gets prosecuted or overthrown for that matter. Country presidents or organizational heads, it's all the same to the US when it comes to regime change. Whats' going on here will not weed out corruption, it will simply exchange one corrupt leader for another.....one that is more willing to do the US bidding. Anyone see any parallels with the Ukrainian crisis or regime change in Venezuela? What this is obviously all about, and has been from the get go, is the US wanting to deny Russia it's ability to host the World Cup. Nothing more. Don't kid yourselves. It's called manufacturing consent. Noam Chomsky wrote a book about it.

ektope 33m ago

The Anglo-saxon conspiracy against Blatter succeeded in making him resign .The next step is to try and destroy the world cup in Russia . The reason very clear .The English wanted the 2018 World cup and they could not get it because they are very unpopular .The Yankees failed for the same reasons for the 2022 World cup , so they had to revenge Blatter.

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Russia are currently invading Ukraine which seems a far easier reason to take a world cup away

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Healbot posted:

Russia hosting a World Cup is almost as bad as Qatar. Can't wait for the tidal wave of bananas thrown on the pitch whenever African teams or Wales play.

They did just host the Olympics (they bribed IOC for that to) so it's not a stretch, and while it's going to be a complete cluster gently caress at least thousands of people won't die constructing the stadiums.

Also... murica :patriot:

Jose posted:

Russia are currently invading Ukraine which seems a far easier reason to take a world cup away

Oh, yeah when you add that into the mix it should totally be taken away from them.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Healbot posted:

From a purely footballing perspective it at least makes some sense since they've actually been in World Cups before.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

From a purely footballing perspective it at least makes some sense since they've actually been in World Cups before.

They're really racist and hate gays as well. we don't mind them having a world cup.

It'll be on at the normal time, in the summer.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
What a great time to be a yanq! We did it boyz, we saved the Soccer. I don't know about you but I will never forget where I was the day Sepp resigned from Fifa.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Russia hosting the WC also doesn't association football into total disarray either, since you know, they can have it at the normal time without people dying.

I think they might end up revoking the Qatar world cup bid once someone is in place after Sepp and its possible they'd rebid it. Though there are really only a handful of countries -- maybe three or four being generous -- who could host it at the drop of a hat and the US seems the most able and willing to do so since we could do it for next to nothing.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

What a great time to be a yanq! We did it boyz, we saved the Soccer. I don't know about you but I will never forget where I was the day Sepp resigned from Fifa.

Just like the WW's, we will lord saving all of you over you forever.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jose posted:

Maybe if they just apologize and say it was an honest mistake...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dilkington posted:

Noam Chomsky wrote a book about it.

:lol:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Russia hosting the WC also doesn't association football into total disarray either, since you know, they can have it at the normal time without people dying.

I think they might end up revoking the Qatar world cup bid once someone is in place after Sepp and its possible they'd rebid it. Though there are really only a handful of countries -- maybe three or four being generous -- who could host it at the drop of a hat and the US seems the most able and willing to do so since we could do it for next to nothing.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the glow
May 31, 2009

Jose posted:

I think you'll find its a core part of FIFA's mandate to remain entirely neutral in matters of politics. Which is why that Argentinian delegate said he'd only vote for England in 2018 if we gave the Falklands back