Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Getting politicians to commit to hard promises during a campaign is generally a good way to get them to follow through. Even Mitt Romney refused to back out of the commitments he made during the primary.

Without arguing the merits of your assertions otherwise, what you are doing is conflating rhetoric with promises. People hear what they want from candidates and in every case it is possible to cherry pick and charitably interpret rhetoric as promises kept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

He did it by actually understanding the state-by-state rules for awarding delegates, and tailoring his electoral strategy to match. Unlike his main opponent's campaign, whose lead strategist did not understand the difference between states that awarded delegates on a winner-take-all basis, and those which distributed them proportionately.

Oh I was referring to the couple years leading up to the primary, when the actual groundwork is done.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
guys let me save you 17 months of anguish:

It comes down to Ohio

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It comes down to Ohio

My vote matter :woop:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jackson Taus posted:

To be fair to Republicans, it's possible that they simply can't pivot while the demographic transition is ongoing. Like until white votes hit some threshold where they're an even smaller portion of the electorate than they are now, it could be the case that ditching an advantage in the white vote to compete for minority votes is a bad call. Like a decision that makes sense when non-whites are 35-40% of the electorate (in the 2020s or 2030s) doesn't make sense when they're only 25% of the electorate.

Suppose Republicans faced a policy choice which would cost them 5% of the white vote but gain them 10% of the non-white vote. Numerically, this is currently a bad deal, losing them 1.25% of the vote, but 10-20 years down the line (when it's 60/40), that would be a good deal, earning them 0.25% of the vote.
Yeah, like I said, I fully understand the reluctance of Republicans to start talking about changing their platform given the pushback they'd experience from The Base, but it's still quite amazing. They've lost the popular vote in five of the last six elections, and the official policy is "it's all good, no need to change anything, we just need better salesmen". Still, it has to be done eventually (or maybe not - the Whig party never adjusted to the changing demographic and issue landscape of the 1850s, and look where they ended up) and the longer they put it off, the deeper the hole they'll be in when they decide to start climbing out. It takes a couple of decades to turn a party around, and they haven't even taken the first steps towards making any changes. It's like the Democratic party in 1990 decided to just re-run Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis, over and over, until they eventually won.

As a Democrat, I'm delighted. I saw what the Republicans did to themselves in California chasing the nativist vote, and I'm delighted that they're doing it nation-wide. The Millennial generation is the largest one ever in American history, and they're doing everything they can to piss it off in order to appeal to their aging, shrinking, literally dying white Boomer base.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

It comes down to Ohio

Dems actually have a plausible route to victory without needing Ohio or Florida ;)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Dems actually have a plausible route to victory without needing Ohio or Florida ;)

True but it'll be over when they call Ohio.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FMguru posted:

They've lost the popular vote in five of the last six elections, and the official policy is "it's all good, no need to change anything, we just need better salesmen".

Who cares - we were just lauding Obama for playing a better electoral game, right? This isn't really a valid metric, neither side is going for the popular vote.

quote:

It takes a couple of decades to turn a party around, and they haven't even taken the first steps towards making any changes. It's like the Democratic party in 1990 decided to just re-run Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis, over and over, until they eventually won.

No, it takes someone more charismatic than the other guy, and the decision to de-emphasize certain planks while nudging others along. It's not all that hard.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Feather posted:

Without arguing the merits of your assertions otherwise, what you are doing is conflating rhetoric with promises. People hear what they want from candidates and in every case it is possible to cherry pick and charitably interpret rhetoric as promises kept.

There's a difference between vague rhetoric and laying out actual programs and priorities. Candidates are far more hesitant to abandon specific policy commitments they've made during the campaign. It happens, obviously, but if you want to have the primary push Hillary in a more populist direction the best way to do so is to pressure her to adopt specific policy commitments, in as much specificity as possible.

The young minority ideologue vs crusty old white Senator.

I'm sure Dems will be sleeping well at night.

Listening to conservatives try to play what they imagine to be the "race card" is always like listening to a deaf person try to explain how Beethoven sounds. They just don't get it. Rubio will be lucky to break 30% of the Latino vote, and the fact that Republicans find that impossible to understand is why they're still just the party of white supremacy.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 2, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

It comes down to Ohio

Probably not. It was Colorado in 2012.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb is the "undisputed jobs champ", according to Jeb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6XkYusFCk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

Jeb is the "undisputed jobs champ", according to Jeb
Hand, rim, or blow?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

The Insect Court posted:

Listening to conservatives try to play what they imagine to be the "race card" is always like listening to a deaf person try to explain how Beethoven sounds.

But he, uh...

I mean...

*sighs*

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The young minority ideologue

I don't know much about Rubio. What's his ideology?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

FMguru posted:

Hand, rim, or blow?

I was thinking he just created one for his brother, but it was a pretty big one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, George... :ughh:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Joementum posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

But he, uh...

I mean...

*sighs*

Right, like this.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Rubio scared me until he completely walked back on his sanity concerning immigration and went full fundie with "gay marriage is the beginning of Christianity being classified as hate speech." Now he's just another crazy person with no chance of beating Hilary because he's so goddamn crazy.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

FMguru posted:

Hand, rim, or blow?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
America needs to know: what does George Pataki think of this dumb thing Mike Huckabee said today?

Here's the answer, in case you're curious, which you're not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

comes along bort posted:

And it will actually be over by the time they call Florida.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
His reaction of "we shouldn't make fun of the choices other people make" should have been followed with "unless it's Mike Huckabee choosing to be a complete dipshit."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Rubio scared me until he completely walked back on his sanity concerning immigration and went full fundie with "gay marriage is the beginning of Christianity being classified as hate speech." Now he's just another crazy person with no chance of beating Hilary because he's so goddamn crazy.

Yeah, he was kind of an interesting question when he was still out of it and a theoretical candidate but since declaring he's done the Republican Primary dance away from the middle and towards the crazy and he couldn't even get through an interview with Chris Wallace asking him if Iraq was a bad idea without turning into an angry, stuttering child. So now I feel comfortable that Rubio ain't a real player.

Of course no Republican seems to be making themselves a real player so he could still win the primary and have an okish chance. Because some Republican has to.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I was curious, but then he started talking and I fell asleep.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

comes along bort posted:

Actually, Karl Rove will be on Fox News saying Hillary might not have won Ohio....

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

computer parts posted:

Clarence Thomas would be the age Ginsberg is now!

You have made me very, very depressed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Holy poo poo I cannot stop laughing

The intern who typed this must have been blinking back tears while writing it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Scott no.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know much about Rubio. What's his ideology?

GOP bog standard with the occasional gutless nod to not making GBS threads entirely on immigrants.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cythereal posted:

And it will actually be over by the time they call Florida.

Well yeah because Hillary's inauguration will have already happened like a week or two prior.

Joementum posted:

Actually, Karl Rove will be on Fox News saying Hillary might not have won Ohio....

The only wish I have for this election is for them to trot him out once more.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol jacket much?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Nebbish

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Who wore it better?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Drudge posting shirtless O'Malley status: still funny.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Who wore it better?

The guy who didn't button only the top button on a three piece suit

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Who wore it better?

The one who doesn't look like he's got just the weirdest pit stains.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Drudge posting shirtless O'Malley status: still funny.

:eyepop: Well then, I feel out of shape suddenly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The guy who didn't button only the top button on a three piece suit

Seriously, that looks really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx