Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Nikita Simonyan, Russian Football Union acting president: [Michel Platini] “suits the role of president of Fifa better than anyone else … [He is] a more prepared and experienced person.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Give the 2022 World Cup to us. It's about time football returned to its roots.

We have the opening ceremony nailed down pat.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
If Platini gets the job then absolutely nothing will change. He is probably even more corrupt than Blatter.

Listening to TalkSport this morning they had Jerome Champagne on who was saying how Platini previously blocked his attempts at reform and was basically pretty shady in the time he worked at FIFA.

The entire setup of world football is so hilariously corrupt and self serving I do not think anything can save it at this point. It would literally be better off with a benevolent dictator who just made all decisions by himself.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mackintosh posted:

Give the 2022 World Cup to us. It's about time football returned to its roots.

We have the opening ceremony nailed down pat.

Man I love this tifo, it's a perfect representation of a corrupt organisation that needs to be destroyed.

Sadly, the UEFA one isn't as good.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Dravs posted:

If Platini gets the job then absolutely nothing will change. He is probably even more corrupt than Blatter.

Listening to TalkSport this morning they had Jerome Champagne on who was saying how Platini previously blocked his attempts at reform and was basically pretty shady in the time he worked at FIFA.

The entire setup of world football is so hilariously corrupt and self serving I do not think anything can save it at this point. It would literally be better off with a benevolent dictator who just made all decisions by himself.

Cricket and Rugby manage, honestly if the good nations and England start a breakout cup they can set it up with the top nations in control. If the Solomon Islands don't like they have no say in matters they can stick with FIFA.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Scapegoat posted:

Cricket and Rugby manage, honestly if the good nations and England start a breakout cup they can set it up with the top nations in control. If the Solomon Islands don't like they have no say in matters they can stick with FIFA.

Which would be great, but now that Blatter has actually stepped down has absolutely 0% chance of happening in the next 10 years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gonz posted:

The 1990's were a strange time. Most things featured denim or dayglo colors. The 1994 World Cup was not immune to this illness, regardless of where it was held.
Doesn't hold a candle to 1978:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Crazy Ted posted:

Doesn't hold a candle to 1978:

Oh good lord. That's hideous.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It just keeps getting better and better

quote:

INTERPOL issues Red Notices for former FIFA officials and executives wanted by US authorities

LYON, France – At the request of US authorities, INTERPOL Red Notices – or international wanted persons alerts – have been issued for two former FIFA officials and four corporate executives for charges including racketeering, conspiracy and corruption.
The Red Notices have been issued for;

Jack Warner, Trinidad & Tobago national, former FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONCACAF president, CFU president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) special adviser.

Nicolás Leoz, Paraguayan national, former FIFA executive committee member and CONMEBOL president.

Alejandro Burzaco, Argentine national, controlling principal of Torneos y Competencias S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina, and its affiliates.

Hugo Jinkis and Mariano Jinkis, Argentine nationals, controlling principals of Full Play Group S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina, and its affiliates.

José Margulies (also known as José Lazaro), Brazilian national, controlling principal of Valente Corp. and Somerton Ltd., broadcasting businesses.

http://www.interpol.int/News-and-media/News/2015/N2015-071

the glow
May 31, 2009
Cant wait till it all comes crashing down and Blatter is dragged screaming to a CIA black site while private military contractors beat his kidneys with nightsticks as I wave Old Glory in the background

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
blatter was told predator drones can strike within 30 minutes of a location signal so hes constantly on the move that's why the press conference was so short. a fitting punishment.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Blatter is the corporate 1% that's destroying America and helping cops kill black youths in the streets of Detroit because Bush knew about Afghanistan. I wish we lived in the world of Hokuto no Ken :ohdear: :colbert: :dealwithit:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

its better with the pic

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

the glow posted:

Cant wait till it all comes crashing down and Blatter is dragged screaming to a CIA black site while private military contractors beat his kidneys with nightsticks as I wave Old Glory in the background

http://i.imgur.com/GD7ak5C.gifv

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

This is what South Americans actually believe.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
My ex gf was ecuadorean and holy gently caress have our CIA done a fantastic job if even 10% of the stuff she thinks they do happens.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

the glow posted:

I can't wait for 10 years from now, when control of the FIFA Headquarters building is split between a loose coalition of militias, and ISIS

the glow
May 31, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I can't wait for 10 years from now, when control of the FIFA Headquarters building is split between a loose coalition of militias, and ISIS

At least they'd get rid of womens football

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

the glow posted:

Something we can all get behind

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the glow posted:

and men's football

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dravs posted:

If Platini gets the job then absolutely nothing will change. He is probably even more corrupt than Blatter
What are the chances of him being taken down in this whole thing, too?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PerpetualSelf posted:

Ok here's a idea.

Weight voting so that only the top 10 teams based on ranking from each federation get a full vote.

Everyone else get's their votes cut. 10-20 get half a vote. 20-30 get a quarter vote. 30-40 get 1/8th vote. 40+ get 1/10th vote. Total votes are rounded up.

UEFA = 19 Votes
Conmebol = 10 Votes
Concacaf = 19 Votes
CAF = 19 Votes
AFC = 19 Votes
OFC = 11 Votes

15+2.5+1.25+1

Weighted Vote for Blatter vs Ali

Ali = 30
Blatter = 53

Voting is further weighted by combined ranking of top 3 teams in each federation. The top 2 federations keep same amount of votes. 3rd and 4th lose 2 votes. 5th loses 4 votes. 6th loses 6 votes.

UEFA = 19 Votes
Conmebol = 10 Votes
Concacaf = 17 votes
AFC = 17 Votes
CAF = 15 Votes
OFC = 5 Votes

Ali = 38
Blatter = 45

Voting is finally weighted by population to ranking ratio. The federation with the highest population to rank ratio receives 3 extra votes. The federation with the second receives 2 extra votes. All other federation are penalized 1 point. These are rewarded to the countries with the lowest population to ranking ratio.

Uefa = 21 Votes
Conmebol = 13 Votes
Concacaf = 16 Votes
AFC = 16 Votes
CAF = 14 Votes
OFC = 4 Votes

Ali = 41
Blatter = 43

3/5ths of a vote for africa

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Xenomrph posted:

What are the chances of him being taken down in this whole thing, too?

Highly unlikely because 1. He is head of UEFA not FIFA, and 2. he doesn't take bribes in money, he gets them in political "favours". For example for his Qatar vote he took the Qatar delegate to the palace to dine with Nicholas Sarkozy where they agreed Qatar invest shitloads into French football and French business.

(details probably not precise, someone can probably clarify a bit better)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dravs posted:

Highly unlikely because 1. He is head of UEFA not FIFA, and 2. he doesn't take bribes in money, he gets them in political "favours". For example for his Qatar vote he took the Qatar delegate to the palace to dine with Nicholas Sarkozy where they agreed Qatar invest shitloads into French football and French business.

He came back from Qatar with a couple million pound watch and a job his son is in no way qualified to do.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Dravs posted:

He takes bribes in the form of paintings though

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...world-cup-vote/

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

He came back from Qatar with a couple million pound watch and a job his son is in no way qualified to do.

Aren't we all 'that son' though?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

JunkDeluxe posted:

He takes bribes in the form of paintings though

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...world-cup-vote/

Are paintings truly 'real', though, which is a requirement for something being a bribe? Real things are ephemeral by nature, whereas true art transcends the limitations imposed by both entropy and society. Makes you think

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

dex_sda posted:

Are paintings truly 'real', though, which is a requirement for something being a bribe? Real things are ephemeral by nature, whereas true art transcends the limitations imposed by both entropy and society. Makes you think
Lol

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Are they going to arrest someone from an important country like Germany or are they just going to keep arresting people from the Solomon Islands?

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
About time fifa emptied the blatter imo

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

El Hefe posted:

Are they going to arrest someone from an important country like Germany or are they just going to keep arresting people from the Solomon Islands?

They should arrest Mr. "I've seen no slaves in Qatar" Beckenbauer just for the hell of it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So much tl;dr in this thread

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

El Hefe posted:

Probably not.
The Swiss are investigating the Russian and Qatar bids for the World Cup and the FBI is investigating corruption in North and South America. No one is looking at the other worldcup bidding processes, if they did France/Germany/South Africa/Japan/S.Korea etc. would all be in the poo poo as well.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
“When we organised the World Cup we were dealing with people, not gangsters. The fact that later they turn into gangsters is not our problem. We can not check everybody with sniffer dogs.”

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nill posted:

As a solution I propose hosting the next "US" World Cup entirely within the Great State of Texas whose obscene number of pre-existing, high capacity (american) football stadiums could service the whole event as-is.
lol if you think Texas gets the World Cup before Cascadia

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

elwood posted:

They should arrest Mr. "I've seen no slaves in Qatar" Beckenbauer just for the hell of it.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

PerpetualSelf posted:

Ok here's a idea.

Weight voting so that only the top 10 teams based on ranking from each federation get a full vote.

Everyone else get's their votes cut. 10-20 get half a vote. 20-30 get a quarter vote. 30-40 get 1/8th vote. 40+ get 1/10th vote. Total votes are rounded up.

UEFA = 19 Votes
Conmebol = 10 Votes
Concacaf = 19 Votes
CAF = 19 Votes
AFC = 19 Votes
OFC = 11 Votes

15+2.5+1.25+1

Weighted Vote for Blatter vs Ali

Ali = 30
Blatter = 53

Voting is further weighted by combined ranking of top 3 teams in each federation. The top 2 federations keep same amount of votes. 3rd and 4th lose 2 votes. 5th loses 4 votes. 6th loses 6 votes.

UEFA = 19 Votes
Conmebol = 10 Votes
Concacaf = 17 votes
AFC = 17 Votes
CAF = 15 Votes
OFC = 5 Votes

Ali = 38
Blatter = 45

Voting is finally weighted by population to ranking ratio. The federation with the highest population to rank ratio receives 3 extra votes. The federation with the second receives 2 extra votes. All other federation are penalized 1 point. These are rewarded to the countries with the lowest population to ranking ratio.

Uefa = 21 Votes
Conmebol = 13 Votes
Concacaf = 16 Votes
AFC = 16 Votes
CAF = 14 Votes
OFC = 4 Votes

Ali = 41
Blatter = 43

gently caress you

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Arrest everyone, ban the op, gas this thread

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Crazy Ted posted:

Seriouspost: the fundamental problem with having the World Cup in the United States is that you're spreading it across an area the size of Continental Europe. If memory serves me correctly, in 1994 no such considerations were made for this and teams would have to travel a thousand miles or more for games in the group stage. No doubt that would have been a burden on traveling supporters too.

If the U.S. was to host it again, it would be far better to stage it in such a way so that the groups were concentrated in regions so that teams didn't have to travel for more than a few hundred miles for their games at the start. Obviously once you hit the knockout stages anything goes, but doing everything possible to help reduce the travel load on the players, and the fans, would be a good thing.
poo poo you could probably find eight cities each with two 40k+ stadiums and not even leave the West Coast. Give each group a city and a complimentary dime bag imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Canada is hosting the Women's World Cup and each group is just assigned to one of the cities so there's no absurd travel.

Aside from Team Canada who I think goes on a bit of a tour so everyone can see them? hosed if I know.