Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I don't get how people can play deathmatch without respawning weapons. I've been playing Quake 1 TDM with bots, and it's a lot more fun when everyone has a chance at a rocket launcher instead of some jackass that's hopping around and gibbing everyone while you and your team flail around with the Super Shotgun and Super Nailgun. There's still pleanty of strategy with things like controlling armor and Quad Damage, but matches don't have the potential to become super-lopsided if weapons repsawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I was born about 4 years too late

http://www.shrak.com/m3/

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

UIApplication posted:

Shrak Secret Level contest, win:

http://www.shrak.com/contest.html posted:

...the ULTIMATE gamer computer...

Pentium 200, 32MB Ram, 3.2GB Hard Drive, 6MB Video, 17" NEC Monitor,
Advent 20W SurroundSound with 30W Subwoofer, Thrustmaster joystick, Gravis GamePad and tons more.

Droolworthy material... :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Has there been a post about CyberMage: Darklight Awakening somewhere in this thread? I drooled at the screenshots of it in the PC Gamer review but my 486 wasn't hot enough to play it. Occasionally I still remember that the game exists and wonder about What Could Have Been. There seems to be some YT videos but it doesn't look all that amazing (reminds me of Marathon with those large, poorly animated sprites).

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

UIApplication posted:

I love how in every early gaming convention or LAN party, everyone looked like they were made of chewed bubblegum and taffy because they were always in the hottest cities at the hottest times during the hottest summers with no AC. I can't imagine the smell of a room full of CRT monitor grills cooking eight dozen Quake nerds.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

drrockso20 posted:

I hit a veritable jackpot today at a local Savers(thrift store chain), found a copy of Tribes 2(what's the best way to get that running on a modern computer, and is it still worth playing, or was it entirely reliant on multiplayer?), and a bunch of 3rd Party expansion packs for Quake 1;

anyone know anything about any of these and whether they're worth trying?(also have a copy of Quake 1 and it's two official mission packs on Steam, what's the best source port to use on a Windows 8.1 machine?)

I had these as a kid. Aftershock is hundreds of pak files downloaded from cdrom.com, Aftershock Toolbox is most of the free mapping and mod software from the mid-late 90s. It was fun when I had very little internet access.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like someone on Youtube recorded a full playthrough of Q!Zone using those little togglable text boxes for commentary instead of voice. So, that's nice.

The guy who recorded these posted:

Q!Zone for Quake was one of those quick cash-in compilation pack of levels made solely to sell on the basis that it had Quake's name on the box. Surely, anything with Quake's name was bound to sell like hot cakes, right? RIGHT?!

Regrettably, yes.

Come in and join in on the fun as I traverse four episodes of woefully haphazard level design, bizarre new enemies, and one of the most egregious uses of Shambler placement I've ever seen in a Quake game.

I had a fun time recording this though. Apart from Madrush & Fast Death.

gently caress those levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflrSl9B9J0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGTRNPVxTAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vpHNCYmyGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYpKyQONFU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah the early days of level design in Quake were really, really rough. The tools sucked and people needed a lot of time to wrap their head around designing stuff for 3D.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Not yet. Now that Zandronum 2.0's released, though, I have support for named states for A_Refire; so I'll be able to include an "Automatic" class option for DemonSteele that does auto-fire for weapons.
I have no clue how special moves will work with auto-fire on, but I can figure that out later. Accommodating players with medical issues is kind of more important.

Very sorry for the trouble. :shobon:

You could try having a modifier key that you press in combination with either button. The launcher key would probably work for this since I don't really find myself pressing attack at the same time. That would make it so special attacks require holding launcher and pressing LMB+direction/RMB, which is a bit of a kludgey fix, but would probably be playable.

The other thing you might want to do if you add autofire is give the A-22 a cap on its maximum RoF, otherwise it might end up eclipsing the Sabbath. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think we can all agree that shamblers are way cuter than cacos.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was initially going to say, "Well yeah, they have a great smile," but then I realized that Cacodemons are basically 75% "smile" soooo...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shamblers are cuter, but man are they easy to kill. Quake really needed a big, gently caress-off monster you couldn't easily exploit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Crossposting myself from the GOG thread: System Shock 2 is 99p on GOG if anyone somehow hasn't bought it: http://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It depends on whether you're a hug man or a smile man.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Convex posted:

A little bit late on the reply, but just remembered there's an alternative Java based patcher you could try. It hasn't been updated since 2007 though so it won't recognise BFG WADs, but it should do the job patching up Final Doom.

Yup that did the trick. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Regarding the autofire for Demonsteele, yes, I would greatly appreciate something that allows me to go into some sort of 'sword-rage'. My mouse has a loud click, and I'd replace it, if it wasn't the Kensington Expert Mouse (which is actually a trackball) that I love to death.

Also, I'd love a manual to both Demonsteele and Reelism. Some site said that Reelism downloaded with a manual, but all I get is the .pk7 file. Was there ever one? I mean, I know how to play, but I'd love a list of the mods, as well as the music used. I also want to know what The Jerk does, since I've only gotten him twice, and stayed far away. I assume he one-shots you?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I'd love a manual to both Demonsteele and Reelism. Some site said that Reelism downloaded with a manual, but all I get is the .pk7 file. Was there ever one? I mean, I know how to play, but I'd love a list of the mods, as well as the music used. I also want to know what The Jerk does, since I've only gotten him twice, and stayed far away. I assume he one-shots you?
The latest version didn't include the manual because I'm an idiot. You can get it here. And yes, the Jerk just chases you endlessly trying to crush you under his feet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

The latest version didn't include the manual because I'm an idiot. You can get it here. And yes, the Jerk just chases you endlessly trying to crush you under his feet.

Thanks for this! :toot:

EDIT:

The Reelism Manual posted:

In a desperate, shameless bid to make Reelism appeal to 12 year olds from Kentucky with wonderful opinions about race and sexuality that they feel compelled to share with everyone on the internet, this rule lowers your movement speed and enables health regeneration.

:allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 4, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

Has there been a post about CyberMage: Darklight Awakening somewhere in this thread? I drooled at the screenshots of it in the PC Gamer review but my 486 wasn't hot enough to play it. Occasionally I still remember that the game exists and wonder about What Could Have Been. There seems to be some YT videos but it doesn't look all that amazing (reminds me of Marathon with those large, poorly animated sprites).

I think I posted a description many many pages ago (or possibly the last old fps thread) that never made it to the OP, probably because I am terrible at writing things. I have it, cd, comic book and all. It's a pretty cool game, I played through it a few years ago and found that it held up pretty well. I didn't beat it because the difficulty of the last level combined with the goofy controls made it un-fun.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SavageMessiah posted:

I think I posted a description many many pages ago (or possibly the last old fps thread) that never made it to the OP, probably because I am terrible at writing things. I have it, cd, comic book and all. It's a pretty cool game, I played through it a few years ago and found that it held up pretty well. I didn't beat it because the difficulty of the last level combined with the goofy controls made it un-fun.
Is it a big enough write up that it's worth it to dig up a link? :)

I'll probably never play it since I won't have nostalgia to smooth over the rough parts and 1995 controls. I'm kinda curious about the game though; does it have any neat tricks or ideas that haven't been done in a Doom mod somewhere? From what I remember the PC Gamer review talked about a cool battlefield level shrouded in fog but I didn't see a video of anything like that on YouTube.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

Is it a big enough write up that it's worth it to dig up a link? :)

Nah, it wasn't very long. It's been a while since I played it so my memories are kinda fuzzy but I don't think it did anything that would stand out now. At the time it was pretty forward looking, though. It had driveable vehicles, a basic RPG type system with inventory, a level structure that was at times fairly non-linear (at some point you are turned loose in a cyberpunkish city), a bunch of pretty neat guns and powers, a fairly interesting plot, and pretty drat impressive graphics for the time. I like it, and not just for nostalgia reasons.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZUuq0KgXuk

Oh my god, I'm watching Term's playthrough of Touhou, and holy poo poo, what the hell is this garbage? :psyduck:

Hey, Term, try this next time :p

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Seconding to try Raidy's. I grabbed it last time it came up in the thread and bit is gloriously batshit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is it me, or does Hae-Lin scream "I don't know how to aim this thing" when doing a kameha? :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for this! :toot:

EDIT:

:allears:

Haha, weird... doom.txt saw my post and quoted me, which was just me quoting Kins (or whoever wrote the Reelism manual)

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/606497393790443520

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is it me, or does Hae-Lin scream "I don't know how to aim this thing" when doing a kameha? :allears:

Even better, it's "I don't know what to name this beam!"

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Sort of related to the subject at hand: does anybody remember PC Games magazine? I had a subscription as a kid after begging my mom to get me the one with Shadow Warrior on the cover back in '96 or '97. I remember loving those magazines, and I was devastated when they got bought out by some other mag that didn't even offer to finish out my subscription. It's ridiculously hard to find information about them because of PC Gamer and a German magazine by the same name, which sucks because I lost a ton of them back in my younger years by bringing them all with me somewhere and forgetting them. I'd really like to try and get my collection back... :(

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Thyrork posted:

Not seen Termy post this yet, so:

Alpha footage of Demonsteele's Second Character, Sun Shihong.

Punching and Handguns? Oh you spoil me. :getin: Shihong looks fun as heck.

Anyone watching this should also read the comments for a few details on the oddities of using local hosting to record.

E: Terminus, i was entertaining the idea of writing a demonsteele manual in google.docs for new players. My artistic side is wanting but the words should be easy. Would that be of value?

Sun Shihong being more of a typical manshooter makes her seem a little generic next to Hae-Lin's sword-focused gameplay. Still pretty awesome though.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Woolie Wool posted:

Sun Shihong being more of a typical manshooter makes her seem a little generic next to Hae-Lin's sword-focused gameplay. Still pretty awesome though.

I think you missed the sick-as-hell kamen rider style changes!
(Term thanks a loving bunch, I am now unable to stop watching kamen rider)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Congrats Term you're on Kotaku

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm playing Reelism again and there seems to be a problem with any stage that has the "running water" sound (e.g. RPGville or Candy Planet). The problem is that the sound is insanely loud and overwhelms all other sounds and music. I don't remember this happening before, so maybe it was a GZDoom update that broke it. Anyone else experience this?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This is a long shot... I was looking through my old PC Gamer mags trying find the review of CyberMage when I saw an intriguing blurb about an upcoming game. This is the entirety of the description:

quote:

Creation
Take the incredible graphics engine of Magic Carpet and plunge it underwater, and you'll get a pretty good idea of how Electronic Arts' Creation will look. You'll experience the hazards and spectacular beauty of the world's oceans from the controls of a high-tech mini-sub as you deal with an alien threat.

While we don't expect to see any turban-wearing wizards in this one, we expect to see lots of action on our company network when Creation comes out; like Magic Carpet, it will support up to eight players over a network or modem.
ETA: Late Spring '95

The screenshot is pretty murky but I think that's a ray swimming around some underwater canyon.

This was from the March 1995 issue so it would seem it was almost done but I can't find any reference of it online. Does anybody know if it was released at all?

EDIT: Turns out I just needed to read the next issue I had. This was a Bullfrog game (of course) that was cancelled in 1997(!) so I guess it wasn't working very well. I found the worthless 1995 trailer for it as well as a French video showing some snippets of gameplay.

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 5, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SilentW posted:

I think you missed the sick-as-hell kamen rider style changes!
(Term thanks a loving bunch, I am now unable to stop watching kamen rider)

I never watched Kamen Rider so I wouldn't recognize them.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Woolie Wool posted:

I never watched Kamen Rider so I wouldn't recognize them.

Prepare to be ... something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnKT89keDpU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh poo poo! You've hit the big time now! Time to start hosting lavish parties, Hugh Hefner style.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

spongeh posted:

I think you can create a service that talks to an external module that would deal with the Steam stuff. It's a lot of work to get around it, and it's legally questionable. I spent some time looking at the GPL FAQ just now and didn't really come away with a clear answer.

If it's just using sockets or named pipes or whatever the Windows equivalent is to say "Yo, achievement ___ unlocked." and if it can't find the other part doesn't care? You're probably fine. It's insecure as hell, sure, but does anyone *really* care that someone might be able to fake their achievements for an old-as-heck game?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Hey, you guys remember this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

Well, it's still being worked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta1EGfCQN4Y

The game play is going to be more stealth and evasion based, there won't be any guns in it, just things like that pick axe. You'll just have your wits and traps, and hazards already in the world to survive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I think this video represents the franchise a bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ngYWbkDMT4

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
E: I found it, I found the IRC. Hurray. :unsmith:

Also congrats Term on your bigtime score. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

david_a posted:

EDIT: Turns out I just needed to read the next issue I had. This was a Bullfrog game (of course) that was cancelled in 1997(!) so I guess it wasn't working very well.

A guy I was with school at did his work experience (2 weeks) at Bullfrog, and this was the upcoming game he was most excited about, so it's a real shame it was cancelled.