Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:siren: has a subtle take on today's speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mo_Steel posted:

Always reminds me of:

Hahahah nailed it.

Joementum posted:

Goddamn Drudge wtf

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

site posted:

Hahahah nailed it.

Of the two, I suspect Butthead has better taste in music.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

I dunno who said it, but goddamn Drudge is basically Chimpout with a late 90s web layout.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I dunno who said it, but goddamn Drudge is basically Chimpout with a late 90s web layout.

And shirtless Martin O'Malley pics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Probably not a good sign for Jeb.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mdemone posted:

No way, that pic has to be Scott Walker, just looking at the general asymmetry.

The eyes aren't four inches apart, it's gotta be Rubio.

E: maybe Chaffee or o'malley since it does seem like a rather old photo

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Drudge Report has a much better layout than, hell, pretty much any of the current crop of web start up news orgs. Now if only he'd allow us to turn off the loving auto-update and stop linking to paywalled content.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Drudge Report has a much better layout than, hell, pretty much any of the current crop of web start up news orgs.

This is a pretty lovely troll.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's the embodiment of Atwater Racism.

Cliff Racer posted:

Drudge Report has a much better layout than, hell, pretty much any of the current crop of web start up news orgs. Now if only he'd allow us to turn off the loving auto-update and stop linking to paywalled content.

Noscript blocks the auto-update in Firefox, or did when I used to check drudge.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is a pretty lovely troll.

This is a pretty lovely post. Drudge's website might suck for directing eyes towards ads or forcing them at content other than the thing which was clicked on but I don't want to look at ads OR have other articles nagging at me to read them so its great me (and most everybody else.) Just try to go on, say, Salon and say that their pile of poo poo layout is better than Drudge.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Between this and Jeb completely bungling the "what would you do about Iraq" question (aka the one goddamn question he should have been 100% prepared for given his last name/brother) I'm seriously questioning if Bush will actually end up being the last man standing and get the nomination. He's definitely going to be fairly strong in the primary, but I don't know if he'll actually make it all the way like Romney did.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

This is a pretty lovely post. Drudge's website might suck for directing eyes towards ads or forcing them at content other than the thing which was clicked on but I don't want to look at ads OR have other articles nagging at me to read them so its great me (and most everybody else.) Just try to go on, say, Salon and say that their pile of poo poo layout is better than Drudge.

Well I guess if you aren't aware enough to block ads in the year 2015, you would be attracted to literal 1996 web design.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

It's hideous, dude.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

computer parts posted:

That's sure done wonders for Australia.

I honestly don't care what the results are, just that they're more democratic.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Are you going to provide non-campaign financed methods of transport for voting? How do you plan to enforce it?

I understand your idea -- I am just not sure that its really practical to have mandatory voting in a nation as large, complex and diverse as the US.

Provide mail-in, early, or other methods of voting. The enforcement is simple enough, tie it all into the IRS (which is responsible for most redistribution of income anyway).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

"Oh, Senate floor footage, I just can't quit you bro." ~ Rand Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPCZ7uZN8k

I think he really messed up by including Grassley's voice in the clip. That's not going to go over well with the Iowan. :munch:

What are the possible consequences? Censure by the Senate, which would just help Paul? It's an unenforceable rule, just like campaign finance nonsense, and there is no downside to flouting it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What are the possible consequences? Censure by the Senate, which would just help Paul? It's an unenforceable rule, just like campaign finance nonsense, and there is no downside to flouting it.

Scott Walker is being hosted in Iowa for a fundraiser by Chuck Grassley tomorrow. Grassley won his last election by 31 points and is incredibly popular in the state.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mdemone posted:

No way, that pic has to be Scott Walker, just looking at the general asymmetry.

No, look at that smile.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker is being hosted in Iowa for a fundraiser by Chuck Grassley tomorrow. Grassley won his last election by 31 points and is incredibly popular in the state.

It's not like Grassley was going to stay neutral or stump for Paul until that ad showed up though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Vox Nihili posted:

It's hideous, dude.

I'd take 90s Drudge over "everything on one giant parallax scrolling page" any day.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The page source for Drudge is a truly beautiful thing...nary a CSS file to be found, a single random media query floating at the top, inline styling for everything, I hope it never changes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I'd take 90s Drudge over "everything on one giant parallax scrolling page" any day.

It has made comment sections hidden and difficult for olds to gain access. Perhaps social engineering by the libs :tinfoil:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also it's pretty bullshit to claim that Drudge Report is a good "news site" design because it doesn't have any actual news most of the time. It's just a page of links to other sites.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

You want to sink higher political aspirations? Take a photo like that one.

The very existence of this tells me Christie doesn't have an inner circle worth a poo poo anymore since he had to burn out his old one to survive the immediate fallout of the bridge fiasco.

Your campaign consiglieri, your Carville, Rollins or Rove, is supposed to prevent things like this from happening. Vetoes the idea of you doing an event like this out of hand, and leaves it to you to figure out why. Sure, go glad hand the NYC cops in fat man business suit. But this... but this...

I will not abide another stretch pants incident!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

The tickets for the event are $150 per couple and will be Saturday.

Trip Report

Oh boy. Oh boy. What an experience this was. The entire gathering was a bit haphazard and seemingly thrown together. All the bullet points below are in the exact order he said them in his speech to us. The speech was jumbled, he rambled, and he filled it with business jargon (contract, negotiate). He also acts like he can run the country like a corporation.

We came an hour early to get some good seats in the front row. The doors to the room he was speaking is was shut due to him doing a radio interview. While waiting we saw some great stuff.

All of his entourage/handlers had name tags. There was a difference in the name tags. Men were Trump advisors. Women were Trump Hostess. Take from that what you will.

They gave out the above buttons, a sticker just like it, and eventually white T-shirts with that Trump logo on the front and the saying on the back. The shirts only came in XL or XXL because all Iowans are fatties, or maybe because everything was done with the least amount of effort possible. Don't worry I have a shirt.

Eventually he left he room to go and hide from the hordes of unclean that were starting to show up. That guy he is talking to had to be some kind of big donor because a lady (I find out later the Republican chair for the county) pulled him aside to let him talk to Donald.

We got to go sit down about 3:50 and was able to get aisle seats in the third row. We wanted to sit upfront, but the left side front seats were reserved for his entourage/handlers/local republican chair. At least that is what they told the 90 year old woman who sat down with her younger friend (also woman and old). They proceeded to move them to the fourth row. That was a good move that got people grumbling and 15 minutes later moved them back up to the front.

The crowd grew as 4:30 came. It was made up of very old women, some very old men, local upper middle class/rich folk (my girlfriend pointed this out because she has had to deal with most of them due to her job), a troop of boy scouts (8 in total), 5 FFA members, my girlfriend, me, and a cranky old veteran in a wheelchair wearing a Bernie Sanders for President T-Shirt.

As people strolled in his entourage put people where ever an empty seat was. This was for optics and ended up separating families. I'm sure the young African American boy was thrilled to be placed 2 rows and 7 seats away from his mom in a sea of white folk. At least his worried expression said so. Hey at least he had a sign to raise up for the photos! In fact there was 8 to 10 signs! All provided by Trump. I'm also pretty sure the Veterans for Trump sign was given to someone who never served at first. That man later gave it to a much older gentleman who had served (or at least his navy tattoos led me to believe this). I would say in the end there was close to 275 people. The news says record breaking 400, but they only had 198 chairs to begin and brought in about 30 more white plastic lawn chairs. Plus the media and entourage. I'm also being generous with the 275.

They also played a ton of standard patriotic music. I only note this because the songs would start quietly and grow louder towards the end of them. The first few songs everyone grew quiet as the song grew louder. After Trump didn't show up people just started to ignore them and continued to talk. At least they talked at first. 4:30 rolled around and we saw this:

We saw this until 5:00. He was a half hour late and the crowd almost turned. Now that would have been good, but sadly I think this was part showmanship and part no fucks given.

At 5:00 they asked for everyone's attention. Had the boy scouts be a color guard and walk up with the flag while the national anthem played. This had a funny moment when half way through everyone started singing the anthem. Was a little odd. We also did the pledge of allegiance (did this at the Sander's thing too). The Republican chair came up and said it is an honor and blah blah. Introduced a veteran of Iraq who said Donald will tell Obama/Hillary that "You're Fired!" Got some laughter and hoots out of the crowd. Then Donald came up and started talking.

Hey did you know that on June 16th everyone will be surprised and that what he will say will make many people happy. He might be running. He can only say might and maybe because of legal things. You understand don't you. Everyone nods in understanding.
-Did you know that Saudi Arabia makes $1 billion dollars a day. Did you know that last year we gave $788 million to them. I sure didn't!

-Mexico isn't our friend. They let hundreds of thousands of people come here. Flowing like water to take our jobs.
-Bergdahl was a traitor and we shouldn't have given up five killers for him. We got ripped off in those negotiations.
-We need to get tougher with Iran.
-China is beating us by devaluing their money through the trade deals.
-The TPP needs to broken up into 11 contracts with a single one for each country.
-Those 11 countries think we are stupid. This is because our politicians are stupid.
-Mexico has people killing us. Hundreds of thousands of illegals flowing in and they are not the best and brightest. In fact 2 border patrol agents told thing only 10% are good. the other 90% are drug dealers, murders, and rapists. :ese:
-"We are the world's dumping ground."
-"Some good people come in I guess."
-Those of us who welcome them into America are stupid.
-Mexico is becoming the next china and has stolen a Ford plant. This is stupid.
-All politicians are dumb
-If on the 16th he announces he is running everyone will be happy.
-Politicians and media will say it is "bullshit"
-He is a lone wolf in the pack.
-Doesn't want donors or lobbyists.
-If he is elected, he will only place smart people in his staff and cabinet positions. These people are Wall Street bankers and people he knows.

-We will save social security by twisting the arms of China, Mexico, and Japan with new trade deals
-Ford should let illegals drive their new cars here.
-Would tell Ford he would charge 35% tax on everything built by them in Mexico to strong arm them back into the US.
-He has lobbyists and loves them and pays them
-He will strong arm more companies like Ford. He knows how to Negotiate.
-He loves free trade, but the stupid people ruin it.
-He doesn't need lobbyists but hires them
-If he is in office he will tell lobbyists and donors to go away because he knows how they work and doesn't need their money because he is rich.
-Japan attacks us with trade and won't let our cars in the country. Don't see them driving a Chevy.
-He likes China a lot. In fact owns a few buildings there. They always pay rent on time.
-The country is stupid. ( I think this one was a slip up)
-We should keep our oil
-When 9/11 happened "they" (I'm guessing Muslims) sent families to Saudi Arabia not Iraq
-Obama tells enemies everything

-He thinks we should screw all of "them" (again Muslims)
-We are paying Iran, but deal isn't happening. He knows the Art of the Deal and plugged his book.
-Hey did you know nobody thinks he is running. Find out the 16th.
-Iran has 4 prisoners. Give them back before we make a deal.
-Asks why Kerry is in a bicycle race and broke his leg. He is 72. How is he a leader?
-Iranians are killers and Persians.
-Iran is tougher and smarter than us. They are out negotiating us.
-Says Iran is "tapping" us. Tapping is when you go back and forth saying maybe, maybe not, yes, or no. I may die from holding back.
-Wants double or triple sanctions on Iran. They will negotiate then.
-He has amazing life and doesn't care if loses. Would just go to the beach.
-Our government system is easy to manipulate.
-Iraq had 2,200 Humvees left behind and ISIS has taken them all.
-Iraqis flee when two shots are fired
-Heavily implies he was against the Iraq war.
-Money should be given to veterans and family from Iraq oil money.

-ISIS is building hotels in Syria with Iraq oil money
-16th he is coming back to make his announcement. Did you know we will be happy.
-He loves what he does. HE LOVES IT.
-He actually says "his campaign will be different and he has built a great thing. Some of the iconic things in the world."
-APPRENTICE
-Says he has to give up his shows and money making deals if he runs and that this is a lot to give up.
-The American dream is dead but he will bring it back.
-somewhere in the speech he did say "Reagan was great." That old man in the wheel chair laughed very loudly.

I tried very hard to get a picture with him:

Then he was done. He walked out and people swamped him. I did hear him say to a news anchor that we need to make jobs to fix college problems.

"Mr. Trump can I get a photo?"
Annoyed Trump, "Hurry up!"

We did get free ice cream.

Local paper full of lies

I unfortunately can not go to the Jodi Ernst Roast and Ride due to money being tight, but might try and see if I can get a Scott Walker picture outside the Grassely Fundraiser.

Still looking at the 2015 Family Leadership Summit. The girlfriend is close to saying yes to the day trip.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 5, 2015

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Truly he is the president we deserve. I've stopped caring. Trump 2016!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You'd think that shitbird would have gone straight to council bluffs.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Hootington is doing the lord's work in the country's Most Important State, and I salute him for it.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
That Trump button looks like somebody made it in their garage

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Made in Printshop 15 minutes before they came.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

-Money should be given to veterans and family from Iraq oil money.

Trump in 2016!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Amazing, especially the rambling and accurate rendering of his speech. Thanks!!

you fuckin goony goon

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Shall we also introduce a National Proposition system similar to California?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

I can hardly imagine how absolutely catastrophically terrible that would be.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is some Libertarian-level horse-poo poo right here.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

I think I would settle for a national line item veto

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my loving god it's actually happening he's actually doing it this is the best please let him be in at least one debate. Especially if it's the 2nd tier one, holy poo poo I want to see George Pataki kick his rear end a day after Trump goes on FOX News to say that Jeb Bush better watch closely cuz The Donald is hot on his tail.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh my loving god it's actually happening he's actually doing it this is the best please let him be in at least one debate. Especially if it's the 2nd tier one, holy poo poo I want to see George Pataki kick his rear end a day after Trump goes on FOX News to say that Jeb Bush better watch closely cuz The Donald is hot on his tail.
You want him in the tier 2 debates?

REALLY?

My god, can you imagine the knives coming out if Trump bumped... well, literally anyone. I want that man on the main stage, getting treated like he's a goddamn contender for the Presidency, while some pissed-off Senator has to mingle with Pataki. It's beautiful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If he can get up into the 7-8% range, he can get teir 1 but it looks like he's only around 4-5% currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr Hootington posted:

a cranky old veteran in a wheelchair wearing a Bernie Sanders for President T-Shirt.

My hero.

• Locked thread