Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I think one thing world maps do is let you see stuff in advance and want to go there. Then later, you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

knights of the round

That dude gives you vague hints on how to breed a gold chocobo, geeeeeze

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

The combat in lightning returns is good and fun, unlike persona which just has a tedious turnbased fight system like every other jrpg. I assume you haven't played it because the things you are saying are retarded.

let me scoop my jaw off the ground and then we will make fists at each other

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think one thing world maps do is let you see stuff in advance and want to go there. Then later, you do.

Dark Souls did this without a world map, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm playing FF7 at the moment and the world map is cool. There's cool stuff on it. I didn't need a guide to find the cool stuff, I just explored it

It'd be cool if the camera actually let you see anything around you.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

(I am so sorry to take this topic back to *that* game, but to answer a question that cropped up while I was asleep...)

Sakurazuka posted:

I think those shots are from the first version they did which came on an honest to god physical Megadrive cart, so it's someone taking photos of a CRT or something.

It's through a video capture card.

Sakurazuka posted:

That dude gives you vague hints on how to breed a gold chocobo, geeeeeze

You also get one for defeating one of the superbosses... which you probably needed Knights of the Round to beat anyway...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMhzaF7puM

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't get the "gravity law" line.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Going saggy from overuse, I think? There's a lot of dialogue in that game that comes across like it was written by an insane person who doesn't understand English.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wendell posted:

I don't get the "gravity law" line.

I can only assume, along with the title Pier Solar, that they're talking about some kind of celestial body getting all hosed up and Science Dude is saying it's not because of gravitation. It's just written in the style of someone patching it together from a dictionary and Google Translate.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Then again, he may also be talking about saggy breasts, but I don't want to loving know.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're only spending time at a few regular locations around a town though, its not a grand adventure around the world.

Nate RFB posted:

I like the illusion that is afforded with a world map that you on some globe trotting adventure. Whether there is anything particularly interesting to see or do in them isn't really as important to me.
Except FFXIII (also X) isn't presented as a grand adventure but a movie-like sequence of action-driven events where the party spends 90% of the storyline running away from the space pope's forces which comprise the military of the entire world. You can say that story was stupid, because it was, but you have to acknowledge that the linearity was intended to keep the story moving, which is why Endorph is right that the part where you can just dick around Pulse is problematic because the impetus to finish the story kind of falls off. What saves it to some extent is that you get the bonus battles and a lot of them are fun to fight against, and games exist to be fun.

Looking back on it world maps sometimes make the world seem smaller. Like FF7's world map makes you notice there's three cities on the entire planet and a handful of lovely towns. Plus with a traditional world map there is a 100% chance you will visit every city in the entire world over the course of the game, which is a narrative convention that is utterly ridiculous. With a menu, you can pretend easier, because it's an abstraction and you know that and the developers know that and there are no illusions between you. With a full-scale world like Dark Souls, you are aware there's an entire world that you cannot see, but that you're in a very interesting part of it, and you're not expecting the developers to have mapped the parts that they're not presenting to you directly.

In summation:

Cake Attack posted:

someday people will have the correct opinions; my opinions. until then, I have no choice but to post.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcDzr0PsoE

im pretty sure they play this more in lightning returns than it ever did in 13-2

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nakar posted:

Except FFXIII (also X) isn't presented as a grand adventure but a movie-like sequence of action-driven events where the party spends 90% of the storyline running away from the space pope's forces which comprise the military of the entire world.
I'm not really disagreeing with this? I think? Is it not possible that a reason I did not care for FFX (haven't played XIII) is that it was "movie-like" and not a big fun adventure? I'm not sure I can think of a JRPG off the top of my head that would fit that description and was something I liked. Maaaaybe Xenosaga III?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcDzr0PsoE

im pretty sure they play this more in lightning returns than it ever did in 13-2

Well Lightning's motivation for doing what she does is like 99% for Serah's so it does make sense.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Unrelated, the first time I was in Dead Dunes in the afternoon and a guy started singing the volume was down a little and I had to turn it up to make out what the sound over the music was and then noticed the lyrics were in English and also moronic. LR's soundtrack is something else.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Nakar posted:

Unrelated, the first time I was in Dead Dunes in the afternoon and a guy started singing the volume was down a little and I had to turn it up to make out what the sound over the music was and then noticed the lyrics were in English and also moronic. LR's soundtrack is something else.

I want there to be musicians in every street corner in FFXV. The worse lyrics the better.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I might buy FFXIII-2 if it is discounted well during the Steam sale! I am tentatively excited!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nakar posted:

Except FFXIII (also X) isn't presented as a grand adventure but a movie-like sequence of action-driven events where the party spends 90% of the storyline running away from the space pope's forces which comprise the military of the entire world. You can say that story was stupid, because it was, but you have to acknowledge that the linearity was intended to keep the story moving, which is why Endorph is right that the part where you can just dick around Pulse is problematic because the impetus to finish the story kind of falls off. What saves it to some extent is that you get the bonus battles and a lot of them are fun to fight against, and games exist to be fun.

Except a movie-like sequence of action-driven events is a really bad way to write a 50-hour game, because sometimes you need to pump the brakes and let the plot happen. A good JRPG's written more like a novel, with individual chapters of relatively self-contained events. Final Fantasy X does this with the Temples and cities (stopping at Luca for the tournament, for example). FFXIII does not, because someone high-up had the hilariously rear end-backward idea of filming all the cutscenes first and then trying to write a script linking them all together. Any location visited is nothing more than a change in corridor scenery and the only impetus is to keep moving on and get the hell out of there ASAP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except a movie-like sequence of action-driven events is a really bad way to write a 50-hour game, because sometimes you need to pump the brakes and let the plot happen. A good JRPG's written more like a novel, with individual chapters of relatively self-contained events. Final Fantasy X does this with the Temples and cities (stopping at Luca for the tournament, for example). FFXIII does not, because someone high-up had the hilariously rear end-backward idea of filming all the cutscenes first and then trying to write a script linking them all together. Any location visited is nothing more than a change in corridor scenery and the only impetus is to keep moving on and get the hell out of there ASAP.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim FFXIII doesn't have those breaks. I mean the plot is bad but there are multiple times the plot flat-out slows down so that sort of thing can happen. They don't have moments where you can take a break and explore or anything but the plot does have moments where things slow down and the characters are not actively involved in an action sequence. (Hanging out at the Not Golden Saucer Really, Hope's dad's thing, ect.) They just didn't write an interesting or compelling plot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I hate world maps and towns. They make a game less fun. I would prefer it if more games dropped this silly pretense. I also dislike the idea of the castle in Fire Emblem If.

The only series that even remotely makes good use of the world map is Wild Arms, mostly because it hates you. IE: the world map is a challenge you need to overcome. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't just busywork to fill time, but so are random battles and other most other gameplay archetypes. Also towns.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Clarste posted:

I hate world maps and towns. They make a game less fun. I would prefer it if more games dropped this silly pretense. I also dislike the idea of the castle in Fire Emblem If.

The only series that even remotely makes good use of the world map is Wild Arms, mostly because it hates you. IE: the world map is a challenge you need to overcome. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't just busywork to fill time, but so are random battles and other most other gameplay archetypes. Also towns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGTVRbpAuRo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

It's a bit disingenuous to claim FFXIII doesn't have those breaks. I mean the plot is bad but there are multiple times the plot flat-out slows down so that sort of thing can happen.

True, but often only for a single cutscene and then it rams the throttle back to full and kicks the party into the next corridor. The only real place it actually slows down for more than five minutes is at Nautlius and it's much better for it. You get to see some plot happen at a better pace and a bit of background information about the world with the parade without having to listen for a single tossed-out term and a long dictionary search.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Lots of up front action is what sucked me into Xenosaga, the first couple of hours on the spaceship are honestly pretty rad. Dudes getting killed, mechs, aliens coming out of walls, all cool. It carried me way further in that game than I probably would have played, and I only actually stopped because I hit a wall where I guess I trigger of some sort didn't go off right and I could not move forward. This was a couple of dozen hours or so into the game so gently caress starting over.

My favorite implementation of word maps in JRPGS is like FF1 where it opens up outside of where you need to go, and if you know whats up you can sometimes do things out of the intended order to get an edge.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Wendell posted:

I might buy FFXIII-2 if it is discounted well during the Steam sale! I am tentatively excited!

GET PUMPED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
With all the transformer summons in 13 I'm surprised they never used Ark

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I would prefer for games to not be 50 hours

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

World maps are good because even when there's a single correct sequence of actions in a video game, it can still be fun to identify and execute that sequence yourself and experience a few degrees of freedom along the way. If the designer is finding it's not fun or doesn't really add anything, removing it altogether is a sensible solution, but not the only correct one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SMT4 is impressive, having both a menu based system to move from location to location, and a world map, and both were pretty poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it took 20 hours to beat lightning returns, and i didnt feel like any of those hours were padding. unlike, say, doing all the loving crystals a dozen times in bravely default, which is just blatantly to make the game take longer to beat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of the worst parts of ff9's battle system is how slow it is. One of the other worst parts is that it has a damage cap and so many skills end up hitting the damage cap that it's pointless to get any of the other skills that also hit the damage cap.

But at least it had ark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ZY3wubL4

Wendell
May 11, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

One of the worst parts of ff9's battle system is how slow it is. One of the other worst parts is that it has a damage cap and so many skills end up hitting the damage cap that it's pointless to get any of the other skills that also hit the damage cap.

But at least it had ark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ZY3wubL4

Holy poo poo that is way too long.

But it reminded me that Alexander is really cool, except in Final Fantasy XIII where he isn't.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Best part of 9 is that auto-Regen keeps running through long animations, turning most summons and high tier spells into "also a full party heal."

But instead people favored quick animation 9999 because gently caress sitting through those animations. Except with Ozma I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ozma was the only FF superboss I ever beat so I was surprised to find that people thought he was hard.
Actually I might have also beaten whichever is the easier one in FF8.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Does 13-2 get anything from having a FF 13 save?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nicanor....it is the name of the dead. it is your name

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I'm glad that kato made himself a new girlfriend

did you fight the alien dog

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Kild posted:

Does 13-2 get anything from having a FF 13 save?

You get a mask of your dead sister. Or something

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

spider was colonel redips???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

id like to retract my posts about world maps just so i don't have the same opinion as this guy