Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, but as far as I can tell the minimap is the worst of it. I'm guessing it pings the location of every entity on the map every refresh, assembles a full map, then only draws the part that fits inside the little square

Every piece of UI code polls the info it needs on every frame drawn. The UI isn't event driven at all and that is the reason it runs like poo poo. The better your frame rate the harder it hits the CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In theory it was redone during Delta Rising, but only for ability cooldowns. Which is why they had horrible loving input lag for two months or so there until that got sorted out*, and I imagine they didn't bother to fix the map or anything else, no.

(*Except for the still persistent bug of activating a power, getting the shared cooldown, but not actually getting the buff. :ughh:)

DancingShade posted:

I've no idea why Risa of all places lags now. Either they're running more instances on the same server (likely) or somehow one of the ground traits that came out on the past year causes excessive server lag on the same map for some unknowable reason (also likely).

Take your pick.
Definitely all of the above. I suspect a fair portion is running more instances on the same server hardware, since that would explain why space queues are lagging like gently caress too. It seems like dedicating some of the hardware to the more profitable Neverwinter is something Cryptic/PWE would do when STO's numbers precipitously anyway. And there's definitely traits or specs that are loving thing up badly, probably anything that checks for distance or teammates.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Da Mott Man posted:

Every piece of UI code polls the info it needs on every frame drawn. The UI isn't event driven at all and that is the reason it runs like poo poo. The better your frame rate the harder it hits the CPU.

This should be put in the OP.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

SKY COQ posted:

So has the blue geek foundry mission competition died the same sort of death as continued development on DTO itself? I want to do a Fifty Shades sequel but I was hoping other people would make poo poo too.

I haven't had time to make a foundry mission in regards to this, sorry.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I didn't even bother to look but I do know that Risa would be improved immeasurably by an Urbanmech stomping about.

:worship:

I know what to do next.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Borticus now moaning about all the "hate" he received from his "reaching out" to the community yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/608677425686425600

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe he shouldn't be so poo poo.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9358023-star-trek-online%3A-adv.-queue-changes

OnePt57x2
Sep 13, 2014

Otherwise know as: We killed the queue, oops.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cryptic posted:

The second big change is that all Normal and Advanced queues now reward the same amount of marks for finishing the mission without completing any optional objectives.

Asimo posted:

"There's all these people playing these fun maps and queues. Obviously we need to normalize them with the tedious and unrewarding maps instead so people play those too."
But eh. Overall it's probably an alright change? I guess? But it goes back to the fact that there wasn't a need to "fix" advanced queues in the first loving place, and that they'll still be more tedious and less rewarding than they were before delta rising (since the optionals aren't getting any easier for pubs to not gently caress up, you just aren't entirely screwed when they do), and changes like this really needed to be made five or six months ago when there were still enough people playing the game for it to actually matter.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I have never seen a seasonal event as sparsely populated as this one. Risa is a ghost town every time I log on.

OnePt57x2
Sep 13, 2014

Pioneer42 posted:

I have never seen a seasonal event as sparsely populated as this one. Risa is a ghost town every time I log on.

When map changing it certainly looks like quite a few players. The population cap per instance is 40 however and most social zones used to be around 70 if I recall. It also didn't help that the sand castle and powerboard race actively causes players to seek out low population zones.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Some of this is because the Risa map runs like poo poo because Cryptic can't fix their game.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Asimo posted:

But eh. Overall it's probably an alright change? I guess? But it goes back to the fact that there wasn't a need to "fix" advanced queues in the first loving place, and that they'll still be more tedious and less rewarding than they were before delta rising (since the optionals aren't getting any easier for pubs to not gently caress up, you just aren't entirely screwed when they do), and changes like this really needed to be made five or six months ago when there were still enough people playing the game for it to actually matter.

So in the end I guess the real question is how many centimeters does this move their head out of their rear end and how many more inches are left to go?

I'm really curious how quickly this moves people back into these missions or if the damage is already done.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cutedge posted:

I'm really curious how quickly this moves people back into these missions or if the damage is already done.

I'd be really surprised if it weren't the latter. What really is there to do in the endgame if you're not doing queues? Besides doing infinite Argala runs (which you can't grind anymore because of cooldowns) and spraying pubbies with fire extinguishers?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

BombermanX posted:

I haven't had time to make a foundry mission in regards to this, sorry.

Awwww, I wanted to win cash prizes for smashing a homophobe.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

OnePt57x2 posted:

When map changing it certainly looks like quite a few players. The population cap per instance is 40 however and most social zones used to be around 70 if I recall. It also didn't help that the sand castle and powerboard race actively causes players to seek out low population zones.

You're supposed to be able to fit a lot more, but NPCs can count toward population cap.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'd be really surprised if it weren't the latter. What really is there to do in the endgame if you're not doing queues? Besides doing infinite Argala runs (which you can't grind anymore because of cooldowns) and spraying pubbies with fire extinguishers?
Yeah. If they fixed queues within a month or two of DR launching then it would have been fine since it would have just been a bit of a burp and a lot of people were still leveling to 60 anyway. Now though, the damage is already done; the perception is that advanced queues aren't doable (to your average 2000 dps pug), normal queues aren't rewarding, and you're better off just doing a patrol or something for the daily box. Add in the fact that all the post-DR space queues are obnoxious to pug (Borg Disconnected) or slogs with long timed sections where improved gear and skill doesn't make them faster/easier (all of them) and it's just... you're not going to see any appreciable improvement. Even if it will be nice to not fail them outright I guess. :shrug:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

You're supposed to be able to fit a lot more, but NPCs can count toward population cap.
:cryptic:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Borticus now moaning about all the "hate" he received from his "reaching out" to the community yesterday.

HAHAHAHAHA

I saw three people yell at him on r/sto about him tackling this game breaking important bug vs the dozens slobbering his knob and crying about how they had been literally shaking due to the extra seconds it took them to complete the race. His fee fees must have been super hurt. Pander harder to the worst part of the playerbase Bort, you're doing a bang up job! :downsbravo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DonDoodles posted:

It's almost like he's really poo poo at doing the work he is actually supposed to do without prompting.

Now I'm not saying he's incompetent or anything but... no gently caress it, I don't have a joke. He's an idiot who can't prioritise work tasks and needs a manager telling him what to do.

Some people just can't manage self directed work.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

DancingShade posted:

It's almost like he's really poo poo at doing the work he is actually supposed to do without prompting.

Now I'm not saying he's incompetent or anything but... no gently caress it, I don't have a joke. He's an idiot who can't prioritise work tasks and needs a manager telling him what to do.

Some people just can't manage self directed work.

Seriously. This guy really needs help. It's like he's never worked at a real job and didn't learn basic problem solving.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cutedge posted:

So in the end I guess the real question is how many centimeters does this move their head out of their rear end and how many more inches are left to go?

I think it's a decent change since it eliminates the Elite Mark bottleneck for alts and noobs, but yeah I think it's probably 4-6 months too late

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
T6 Vet ships

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9359773-star-trek-online%3A-new-t6-veteran-destroyers

They're free for vets.

T5 Versions have been moved to a Level 40 requirement from 50.

A fleet version will be released a later date.

These really came out of nowhere. I really wasn't expecting it.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting, you can now turn Lohlunat Prize Vouchers into marks, 1:1, after you've claimed the Ferengi ship on one character.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's amazing how many people on Risa didn't realise Christopher Lee was the best Spock.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Is anyone else having a problem getting into the game after the last patch update? I can log in fine, get to the character selection screen, but upon entering the actually game, I immediately get the "Server Not Responding" message for about 25 seconds before disconnecting. Not sure what the issue is, as I've had no connectivity problems prior to this morning's update.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Now I'm using a new character but with the same @ name as before, do I need to be reinvited to the chat?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DonDoodles posted:

Is anyone else having a problem getting into the game after the last patch update? I can log in fine, get to the character selection screen, but upon entering the actually game, I immediately get the "Server Not Responding" message for about 25 seconds before disconnecting. Not sure what the issue is, as I've had no connectivity problems prior to this morning's update.

You've been shadow banned. :tinfoil:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

DonDoodles posted:

Yeah, happens quite regularly again but I usually still connect after the not responding bollocks. Pretty much since Delta hit it's been on and off like that for me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huh. Didn't expect that.

Shame it's command hybrid instead of pilot/intel though. And you still have to pay for the fleet version. Which isn't available yet. :geno:

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
Railrokh and I decided to do a random giveaway event yesterday on Risa.

Xean was around.

It snowballed from there, with plenty of others joining in with giving things away.

http://pastebin.com/PR9uNQB7

Highlights are Xean yapping on and on about giving a stack of lolwut favours to some random pubbie. LordCo gives the random pubbie a stack to repay loan shark Xean and an additional stack just because.

Pubbie might've been spacepoor, but he does his best to join in the event later by giving away tribbles.

Also:

[9:36] [Zone #8] Xean@xtern1ty: @Edwards, disapprove is more like it, I know a couple of undercover nice guys in Dental though, they feed me the insider info I need

[9:45] [Zone #8] Xean@xtern1ty: Marauder, what have you to say about that... you're forgetting who actually is generous, are you

[9:48] [Zone #8] Xean@xtern1ty: But let's be fair, I give that help for a reasonable price

And...

[9:54] [Zone #8] Xean@xtern1ty: I'm not the one posting my fleet every ten seconds, pff trolls are so predictable.

Says the biggest self-advertiser in STO.

[9:58] [Zone #8] Xean@xtern1ty: take their freebies guys, but remember they're trolls, don't make them let you feel like you owe them and must pay homage, because you don't have to.

Who often follows up his poor advice by strongly hinting they should pay homage by joining his channel/fleet.

:v:

Violent Kitten fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 12, 2015

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
That is an amazing pastebin. Love the random pubbies speculating on the state of Dental. That @friggsnarto guy was a notorious ERPer on old droz.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I too have the insider info on dental. We all quit cause the game sucks. Fascinating bit of intel I just dropped.

According to the STO Facebook alongside T6 Vet ships there is another lifetime sale. For a game in this state with its expected lifespan that oughta be illegal.

LIFETIME* MEMBERSHIPS JUST $199!

*lifetime not expected to exceed 12 months.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tuskin38 posted:

T6 Vet ships

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9359773-star-trek-online%3A-new-t6-veteran-destroyers

They're free for vets.

T5 Versions have been moved to a Level 40 requirement from 50.

A fleet version will be released a later date.

These really came out of nowhere. I really wasn't expecting it.

Ships bad, sale bad.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I may be banned from the forums, but my legacy lives on. DW-Suzanna bitching about moving her radio party to her ship because I was there, dancing (god forbid)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1479151

Choice quote:

Nico@smuggel666: STARFLEET RECKTAL A BUNCH OF HOMOTROLLS

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

DonDoodles posted:

I may be banned from the forums, but my legacy lives on. DW-Suzanna bitching about moving her radio party to her ship because I was there, dancing (god forbid)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1479151

Choice quote:

Left a nice post in the thread.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DonDoodles posted:

Blue Geek parachute account spotted.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

That is an amazing pastebin. Love the random pubbies speculating on the state of Dental. That @friggsnarto guy was a notorious ERPer on old droz.

I cherry picked my favorite Xeanism

[10:26] [Zone #8] Xean@xtern1ty: You know what Dental's problem is? They have 10k girls who all want to have Xean's baies and can't stop them from flashing their boobs at every X they see

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
... There's girls here?

I suppose I could log in again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

We might have women in the fleet. I just assumed we were all gay.

Edit: space gay

• Locked thread