Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bullshit, EA would never shield a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Fallout 4 looks really loving good and I can't wait to play it. The only bad thing out of the presentation was that Fallout Shelter isn't on Android yet. Have we had any word on it yet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

EvilHawk posted:

The only bad thing out of the presentation was that Fallout Shelter isn't on Android yet. Have we had any word on it yet?

It doesn't seem like anything special.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

turboraton posted:

The most shocking revelation to me is learning that Shrinkles and 2 more goons actually don't pick everything that isn't nailed down on a Fallout game.

For me, "everything" is an exaggeration but I pick up everything that looks remotely useful. I'll pick up multiple copies of every gun and armor just in case I need to repair, I'll pick up scrap metal, Wonderglue and scrap electronics because they're the most-used crafting components, leather belts because Stimpaks... umm... bonesaws for doctor bags... and broc flowers also for Stimpaks... also all the ammo even for guns I don't use because it's weightless anyways. Every single grenade. Every single Nuka-Cola and Sunset Sarsaparilla. I guess I don't pick up pitchers and glasses, or coffee pots.

That's pretty much why I always go into the developer console and cheat myself 1000 carry weight at the start of every game.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I tend to rummage around and inspect things with the grab button but I rarely pick up anything that isn't obviously useful. I'm a very picky scavenger. Surely I can't be the only one.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just don't let me open containers that clearly read as [EMPTY] this time around because apparently my brain refuses to acknowledge that combination of letters in an RPG.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm all in favour of Skill Points not being tied to Intelligence, but Intelligence as is seems kinda lame.

Don't bring yourself down like that my main man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I grab anything that looks cool and then I arrange it in my house. Then I rearrange it when gamebryo explodes it all. If you aren't doing this too, you're playing the game wrong. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm grabbing this typewriter and these three lunch boxes. I need all these things.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In FO3, I'd pick things like fission batteries that had a not completely insignificant value to be worth scavenging in large number. At least in the early game. New Vegas had the 2,000 caps for bobbleheads thing at the lucky 38 though (FO3 might have too, but I don't remember it), so I was basically rolling in cash from start to finish and never needed to scavenge anything for cash. I also never crafted anything. Looking forward to actually caring about some of those random items that I instinctively gloss over.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Just don't let me open containers that clearly read as [EMPTY] this time around because apparently my brain refuses to acknowledge that combination of letters in an RPG.

you can put things in it

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Back on the crafting itself, it doesn't seem like it's about giving bonuses to your guns but to turn these guns into other guns.

Like they changed the barrel and the grip of a laser pistol and then it turned into a laser rifle, they put a scope in it and it turned into a laser sniper.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Cojawfee posted:

I grab anything that looks cool and then I arrange it in my house. Then I rearrange it when gamebryo explodes it all. If you aren't doing this too, you're playing the game wrong. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm grabbing this typewriter and these three lunch boxes. I need all these things.

..and this ashtray and this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volkerball posted:

you can put things in it

Yeah I know, but for the first five or so hours of any new RPG I am perpetually opening clearly marked empty containers and quietly cursing as I back out of the menu.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Even though New Vegas was an amazing game, I'm glad I'll be going on actual wasteland expeditions again. The difference between exploring in New Vegas and Fallout 3 is huge.

In Fallout 3, you find a building and it might have raiders, super mutants, sick loot or loving ghosts.

In New Vegas, you enter a building and there's a bored NCR soldier working the reception and he asks you whether you're there to fix the AC.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

"recharge rate of Critical Hits"

This follow the convention of modern games of "having a Awesome button" that recharge just playing the game and you can use to get oneshot a bunch of enemies every few in a while.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Yeah I know, but for the first five or so hours of any new RPG I am perpetually opening clearly marked empty containers and quietly cursing as I back out of the menu.

my problem is re-opening containers that aren't empty because there was a cup in there i didn't want.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I watched the Fallout 4 thing again and noticed some buildings you can't see through the windows. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not sure how I feel about skills going away.

On the one hand, it was a pretty binary system--you either pump skill points into a skill or you don't--and it made Intelligence more important than it probably should be. On the other hand, they'd better have a great Perks system or I'm going to really feel the loss of "builds." And I hope Intelligence does something more than "some dialog options and increased experience gain."

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Minorkos posted:

In New Vegas, you enter a building and there's a bored NCR soldier working the reception and he asks you whether you're there to fix the AC.

You really need to explore some more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yaos posted:

I watched the Fallout 4 thing again and noticed some buildings you can't see through the windows. :(

Got a screen or timestamp?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cojawfee posted:

I pick up/buy every single t-rex toy I can from Cliff Briscoe so I can go nuts and arrange them in little dioramas in the Lucky 38 suite, just like Cliff. Also the rocket ships, because each t-rex needs his own rocket ship.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone figured out who the voice actors were in the showcase? That Vault Tec guy sounded super familiar to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turboraton posted:

You really need to explore some more.

New Vegas isn't nearly as fun to explore as FO3, even though it's a more coherent wasteland. Yeah it's great there are sharecropper farms, but they're boring.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

New Vegas isn't nearly as fun to explore as FO3, even though it's a more coherent wasteland. Yeah it's great there are sharecropper farms, but they're boring.

To each its own. But New Vegas has plenty of cool places (with mini stories) to explore and minimizing it like Minorkos did is what moved me to reply.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Got a screen or timestamp?

It's in the part where the dude tells his dog he's ready to gently caress poo poo up. It's weird though because some buildings you can't see through the windows, but then next to it is a completely open building that's just as big or even bigger. Maybe those other buildings are not done yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

turboraton posted:

To each its own. But New Vegas has plenty of cool places (with mini stories) to explore and minimizing it like Minorkos did is what moved me to reply.

If you could get through the snore fests adjacent to Good Springs, sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turboraton posted:

To each its own. But New Vegas has plenty of cool places (with mini stories) to explore.

It does, I just can't stand anything associated with NV itself. I actually liked Goodsprings and Primm and all that leading up to the place, being a laser cowboy is fun.

e: Well before they patched it and removed a bunch of enemies for whatever reason. Two whole bandits at Primm isn't super exciting.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Really loving the nautical theme coming through in the concept art in the E3 reveal. I always thought the riverside was the best part of the DC wasteland, and the waterfronts in this are going to be really special.

Oh and that cryo-opium den... ughhh so good.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 15, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

Not sure how I feel about skills going away.

On the one hand, it was a pretty binary system--you either pump skill points into a skill or you don't--and it made Intelligence more important than it probably should be. On the other hand, they'd better have a great Perks system or I'm going to really feel the loss of "builds." And I hope Intelligence does something more than "some dialog options and increased experience gain."

Not sure what were these builts since you could only do a combination of punchman, shootman, talkman, sneakman, repair/scienceman.

I think if perks are going to act as gates like skills did, you could still do the same with them.

Although Bethesda is really not a big fan of holding content away so we might have to wait for the inevitable hardcore re-balance patch.

turboraton posted:

I quite honestly don't remember any of these mini-stories, except the ones from the vaults.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Well before they patched it and removed a bunch of enemies for whatever reason. Two whole bandits at Primm isn't super exciting.
The reason was memory & stability issues on the PS3 version in particular. There are mods that add the disabled assets like NPCs back in.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Where were people seeing that skills are going away? Was it in the post-show? I don't really know how that would work - it'd be just SPECIAL and perks?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Where were people seeing that skills are going away? Was it in the post-show? I don't really know how that would work - it'd be just SPECIAL and perks?
In the shots we've seen of the stats menu during the E3 presentation, there's no Skills submenu. Just SPECIAL & perks. Skills also aren't mentioned anywhere in the SPECIAL descriptions. And there's a shot of a weaponmod recipe requiring Rank 1 in Science (indicating it's a perk you can take multiple ranks in.
All of which points towards Skills not being a thing anymore.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 15, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, okay. I'm going to guess that they're still around. Hopefully we'll hear more about the game between now and November.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Raygereio posted:

In the shots we've seen of the stats menu during the E3 presentation, there's no Skills submenu. Just SPECIAL & perks. Skills also aren't mentioned anywhere in the SPECIAL descriptions. And there's a shot of a weaponmod recipe requiring Rank 1 in Science (indicating it's a perk you can take multiple ranks in.
All of which points towards Skills not being a thing anymore.

The description for Intelligence doesn't mention Skill Points, either.

Will to bet they got merged into the Perks.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Raygereio posted:

And there's a shot of a weaponmod recipe requiring Rank 1 in Science (indicating it's a perk you can take multiple ranks in. All of which points towards Skills not being a thing anymore.

What's the difference between a skill and a perk you can take multiple ranks in?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's easy to sculpt Mark Wahlberg's face in this game.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

RBA Starblade posted:

It does, I just can't stand anything associated with NV itself. I actually liked Goodsprings and Primm and all that leading up to the place, being a laser cowboy is fun.

e: Well before they patched it and removed a bunch of enemies for whatever reason. Two whole bandits at Primm isn't super exciting.

Do you even mod bro.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bown posted:

I hope it's easy to sculpt Mark Wahlberg's face in this game.

Yeah: with a crowbar!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gyrotica posted:

Do you even mod bro.

Yes but God knows it's unstable enough already, so just weapons, armor, and PN usually.

• Locked thread