Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TetsuoTW posted:

The tears will be amazing once these idiots realize Shenmue wasn't very good and they don't actually want a third one.

Every backer gets a free pair of rose-tinted glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

That might not be why people buy phones, but people absolutely support kickstarters based on "fake made up techno bullshit." It's basically the only growth sector the US still has.

Now that the FTC is getting involved, would they go after these sorts of "obviously lovely science" Kickstarters? Does the FDA regulate any of the food-based (or medicine based) Kickstarters?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

GrandpaPants posted:

Now that the FTC is getting involved, would they go after these sorts of "obviously lovely science" Kickstarters? Does the FDA regulate any of the food-based (or medicine based) Kickstarters?

The FDA is pretty constrained as far as the actions it can take on food or "natural medicines." For natural medicines, supplements, "holistic treatments," etc. I believe they are fine as long as they don't claim that whatever snake oil they're selling is curative or call it a "drug." They usually skirt around the rule by calling it a "dietary supplement." Food is likewise usually fine as long as they aren't doing something obviously illegal. Using raw milk would be a big no-no that comes to mind as something some idiot on Kickstarter would try to do. The FDA actually conducts raw milk stings to catch dairy farmers.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

GrandpaPants posted:

I think it's safe to assume the FTC is just going to go after cases of outright fraud, or a failure to deliver on promises. Might get harder with "solar roadway" style woo, where's the line between "we spent our funds on impossible research" and "we spend our funds on knowingly impossible research"?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kensei posted:

I don't know that I would contribute to a Smart Phone on a crowdsourced site, but this almost seems like it has some cool features even if it is expensive as hell:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/saygus-v-squared#/story

This reads/looks like a parody but it isn't..........................

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This project to publish old public domain books in waterproof format is pretty ok: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasperjansen/finally-enjoy-classic-literature-and-poetry-in-the/?ref=kicktraq

But it's also kinda useless for any of the larger reward tiers, since you can also safely read a cheap Kindle in the bath if you just slap it in a sealed Ziploc bag.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

This project to publish old public domain books in waterproof format is pretty ok: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasperjansen/finally-enjoy-classic-literature-and-poetry-in-the/?ref=kicktraq

But it's also kinda useless for any of the larger reward tiers, since you can also safely read a cheap Kindle in the bath if you just slap it in a sealed Ziploc bag.

normal books are incredibly durable this is just appealing to the traditionalists on kickstarter for an ez buck

i still have people who tell me they enjoy reading real books because they like the "feel" of a book in their hands. it's a rectangle with sheets, lol

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Madcosby posted:

it's a rectangle with sheets, lol
If its shape and contents are all that matter to you, you're probably a broken human being.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cheez posted:

If its shape and contents are all that matter to you, you're probably a broken human being.

whaaa its a book

its paper

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I think the real issue is that I feel like a lot of these books aren't bath tub books. Like when I'm in the tub I want to read trashy entertaining fiction, YA junk, etc. Not the friggin' Art of War.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's how you know you ain't bath hard. When I bath, I keep a retinue of Swiss guards outside my door, ready to repel both assassins AND ghosts. Should that fail, I have hidden an array of weapons around the unlit spartan room where I bath. You have one precious, fragile life, and if you are not on CONSTANT GUARD against the galaxy of threats twinkling madly just beyond your sight, then you're already as good as double-murdered by assassin ghosts.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

For generations to come, one of the great family heirlooms will be a lovely keyboard in wood for some reason

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spaced God posted:

For generations to come, one of the great family heirlooms will be a lovely keyboard in wood for some reason

Of course the guy who made this hipster "I refuse to type like a normal human just because" poo poo looks like this

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spaced God posted:

Why'd they take the F# keys off the keyboard and only allow them to be used if you hold down a function button? That's almost counter-intuitive to modern keyboard design. :psyduck:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It has an any key.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Why'd they take the F# keys off the keyboard and only allow them to be used if you hold down a function button? That's almost counter-intuitive to modern keyboard design. :psyduck:

Don't worry, for $10,000 they'll custom make you a keyboard so you can put the F# keys back on!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nemo2342 posted:

Don't worry, for $10,000 they'll custom make you a keyboard so you can put the F# keys back on!

Just thinking about it, this is something someone can make on Etsy for like $50? And they're charging $300? The more I think about this the more it sucks

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
It's a cool idea, but why wood. It ruins the entire look.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Spaced God posted:

And instead of a spacebar, you now only can use your right thumb, on one normal-sized button instead of a nice big keyboard. I'm not sure what the big rage about mechanical switches is about, but that goes beyond even just this kickstarter. And moving all the non-alphanumeric keys is absolutely loving insane.

Seriously, look at this dumbass layout:

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

quote:

There's an old keyboard-nerd joke that goes something like this: "If alien archeologists landed on Earth a million years from now and tried to figure out what we looked like based on our keyboards, they'd probably figure that we had 10 tentacles coming out of our chests." The traditional staggered QWERTY layout was not designed for humans.

That being said, it's important to us that the Model 01 not feel too alien today. That's why we've based the default key layout on QWERTY. We've made some important changes, though: We've aligned the keys in columns so they're easier to reach without having to contort your fingers. The two halves of the keyboard are angled to help you keep your wrists in a more natural, neutral position. (The standard keycaps will have QWERTY legends; if you'd prefer blank keycaps you can choose them as an option on your backer survey.) We're experimenting with a version of blank keycaps with a translucent dot in the middle, so you still get the most out of the nice glowing effects.

We will be making additional sets of keycaps available for sale after the campaign ends. Each key set will come with a keypuller. We're going to do everything we can to offer custom laser engraving, so you can have gorgeous custom keycaps that match your custom key layout.

If you've ever used a smartphone, you know that your thumbs are good for more than just whacking a big spacebar. The Model 01 moves some of the most frequently chorded keys away from your poor, overworked pinkie fingers to comfortable arcs right under your thumbs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Smart phone touch screens work like poo poo though

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Therion posted:

loving maple as well

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Therion posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It looks like he makes wooden cases for existing keyboards, which is, to be fair, one step above repackaging and putting your sticker on cheap Chinese drones.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you go to the keyboard thread you can find plenty of goons paying hundreds for mechanical keyboards, some very similar to this one. I can at least respect people paying more for an ergonomic design because there are legit medical benefits. The snobbery surrounding mechanical keys these days is ridiculous, though.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

wa27 posted:

If you go to the keyboard thread you can find plenty of goons paying hundreds for mechanical keyboards, some very similar to this one. I can at least respect people paying more for an ergonomic design because there are legit medical benefits. The snobbery surrounding mechanical keys these days is ridiculous, though.

Mechanical keyboards are great if you want to piss off everyone in your office with the loud clacking from your desk, but otherwise I can't see the benefits and this is coming from someone who grew up on mechanical keyboards.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

stillvisions posted:

Mechanical keyboards are great if you want to piss off everyone in your office with the loud clacking from your desk, but otherwise I can't see the benefits and this is coming from someone who grew up on mechanical keyboards.

I play games online with some nerds who love mechanical keyboards and its hella annoying because all I can ever hear is CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

And it's not like these guys are typists or do anything with their keyboards besides use the WASD keys.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Mechanical keyboards are hella sweet what are you even talking about

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

CJacobs posted:

Of course the guy who made this hipster "I refuse to type like a normal human just because" poo poo looks like this

no words. jesus.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Thinkup. Founder. Lifehacker.

Lifehacker.

LIFEHACKER

SHE LITERALLY WANTED TO USE THE WORD LIFEHACKER TO DESCRIBE HERSELF I HAVE NO WORDS

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Thinkup. Founder. Lifehacker.

Lifehacker.

LIFEHACKER

SHE LITERALLY WANTED TO USE THE WORD LIFEHACKER TO DESCRIBE HERSELF I HAVE NO WORDS

What

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It looks like she's the CTO of Thinkup and the founder of Lifehacker? Those both seem to be true.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought it was 'CTO, THINKUP, FOUNDER, LIFEHACKER' for a moment.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I play games online with some nerds who love mechanical keyboards and its hella annoying because all I can ever hear is CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

And it's not like these guys are typists or do anything with their keyboards besides use the WASD keys.

I think that's the main draw - to let everyone in earshot know how much you paid for something. Next up: glasspack mufflers for CPU cooling.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have an ancient DAS ultimate silent and I'm super satisfied with it. I kept changing lovely $30 keyboards every year or so when some poo poo key stopped responding properly, but I've had this for I think 5 years now and it still types like it did on day one. N-key rollover with ps/2 is also nice to have for splitscreen liero shenanigans every now and then.

It doesn't wake up everyone in my neighbourhood when I'm typing because I got the silent one, but I consider that more of a feature than a bug tbh.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
This guy bought two domain names, "uberquestion.com" and "uberquestion.net", which he intends to sell for a lot of money. Because he's such a nice person he'll let you in on the action. Just send him your money and you'll give you back triple in two months time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

tell them to not actuate the key all the way down otherwise youre missing half the reason to get a mech keyboard

or tell them they bought the wrong one (make sure to ask them what switches they have and tell them the color they dont have is better)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zybourne Clock posted:

This guy bought two domain names, "uberquestion.com" and "uberquestion.net", which he intends to sell for a lot of money. Because he's such a nice person he'll let you in on the action. Just send him your money and you'll give you back triple in two months time.

He's only got one reward tier [$500] and it's limited to 5 backers. His goal is $7,400.

Also, I'm pretty sure that a project like this violates virtually ever rule that Kickstarter has.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What does he need money for? He already bought the domain names (that he won't be able to sell and even if they wanted them, they'd sic trademark lawyers on you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Content: Here's a dumb thing. Smartphone-controlled sunglasses.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skuggaeyewear/skugga-sunglasses-with-variable-electronic-tint-co