Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BBJoey posted:

yeah now that you need a fairly large army to siege and they always take attrition it's really easy to lose all your manpower without noticing. i feel like upping manpower recovery in peace would be a good idea because as it is if it bottoms it out it takes something ridiculous like 25 years to recover to max.

imho that's good; eu3 had manpower recovery that was dramatically faster and it felt silly. the youth of a generation slain!... oh wait, it's five years and they're back again.

agreed that it's pretty easy to deplete really fast right now, though. might be a good thing; paradox has occasionally tried to push for players to be ok with limited victories rather than 100% warscore to-the-knife wars, and running out of manpower is one thing that helps encourage you to cut wars short, even if your opponent is on the ropes. idk.

I somehow managed to lose ~150k manpower over the course of a couple of years in the last war of my ceylon game, but I wasn't really paying attention since I didn't think it was possible to really threaten my manpower pool at that point... oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

imho that's good; eu3 had manpower recovery that was dramatically faster and it felt silly. the youth of a generation slain!... oh wait, it's five years and they're back again.

agreed that it's pretty easy to deplete really fast right now, though. might be a good thing; paradox has occasionally tried to push for players to be ok with limited victories rather than 100% warscore to-the-knife wars, and running out of manpower is one thing that helps encourage you to cut wars short, even if your opponent is on the ropes. idk.

I somehow managed to lose ~150k manpower over the course of a couple of years in the last war of my ceylon game, but I wasn't really paying attention since I didn't think it was possible to really threaten my manpower pool at that point... oops.

i agree that it's much better than the eu3 system where manpower was essentially a useless statistic and mercenaries were completely pointless, but my problem is that it's far far too easy to just lose track of things and end up with 0 manpower without really knowing how and why, like you experienced, and then once it's at 0 there is essentially nothing you can do to build it back up again except wait. it'd be nice if players could interact more with the manpower system, such as drafting the peasantry or the elderly for decreased income/combat ability respectively but increased manpower regen, or using the army to help with construction projects to decrease build time but also decrease manpower regen.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

try using more mercenaries.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Half my army was mercs as England and even with my big trade income it was a drag to maintain in the early game and I was still hemorrhaging manpower like crazy. It needs a little tweak for sure.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm going back to try Baltic Crusader. It's amazing what a little practice does, because I had a war with Pomm to link up Neumark after joining the empire. Like Clockwork Big Gay Poland tries to declare war and Austria comes in with everything for a HUGE party. Instead of trying to let war score tick up with pomm to vassal, I just cut my losses and turn my attention to Polnad, trying to keep an eye on JAnos Hunyadi so I can attach to his battles. Yoink, I shall be taking MAzovia methinks.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hansa game still going strong, although the game is pretty much over at this point. Sweden is allied with Austria and so at the end of every truce I declare on Sweden to take more land, while I slowly chip away at Austria's holdings in the Netherlands, which is taking forever due to their province cost. Utretcht is my vassal. Meanwhile I'm nibbling away at Norway, about to vassalise them. The Ottomans are still above me in score, they have won multiple wars against the Commonwealth and Austria, even both at the same time.

Not sure where I'm going to go with this play through next.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What happened with Russia?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What happened with Russia?

Novgorod beat down Muscovy and formed Russia, but never bothered to finish Muscovy off. Is that what you mean?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think I could've played way more aggro this game and gained a lot more territory sooner. I'm tempted to just finish this run and start a Papal States game and see just how hard I can go.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

Novgorod beat down Muscovy and formed Russia, but never bothered to finish Muscovy off. Is that what you mean?

Ya, but I been hearing stories about Ryazan forming it.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

what DLC should I get for EUIV, it's on sale right now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

common sense unless you want to get stuck with zero development forever lmfao

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

what DLC should I get for EUIV, it's on sale right now.

universal
- art of war gives a ton of good poo poo and you basically should just get it
- el dorado fixes the exploration system so that it's good instead of garbage; also adds cool stuff for south/central american nations and lets you gently caress around with custom nations
- res publica gives you national focuses, which are really strong (also adds a bunch of stuff for merchant republics & the netherlands, if you're into that)

narrow
- conquest of paradise if you want to play a north american nation
- wealth of nations if you want to play a reformed (calvinist) or hindu nation
- res publica if you want to play, uh, holland

also buy http://store.steampowered.com/app/304590/ :important: :critical: :mustbuy:

common sense has some neat stuff, but it's not on sale, so no rush to decide on that one.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

common sense unless you want to get stuck with zero development forever lmfao

'development' is a button you press to waste monarch points.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The only time I develop my provinces is when I am 1 or 2 points behind for an extra building slot or to increase production of my gold mines.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

edit: nevermind, I got confused by Res publica listed both in universal and narrow.

thanks for the good advice, I will get those 3 DLCs then.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

I guess you meant Wealth of Nations instead of Res publica here?

I did not.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

BBJoey posted:

i agree that it's much better than the eu3 system where manpower was essentially a useless statistic and mercenaries were completely pointless, but my problem is that it's far far too easy to just lose track of things and end up with 0 manpower without really knowing how and why, like you experienced, and then once it's at 0 there is essentially nothing you can do to build it back up again except wait. it'd be nice if players could interact more with the manpower system, such as drafting the peasantry or the elderly for decreased income/combat ability respectively but increased manpower regen, or using the army to help with construction projects to decrease build time but also decrease manpower regen.

I would kind of like a notification at the top for when your manpower falls below a certain threshold

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Speaking of thresholds, is there a way to make the rebel notification only pop up at 90%?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like being warned that the peasant war is coming and what is causing it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Not sure what to do as the Teutons. Vassaled Pomms and Mazovia, but I can't think about how to head east. My first thought is to attack my best friend the Livonian Order since they're only allied with me and Riga. Every single power in the vicinity has rivalled me which is making me scared of a gangbang.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just want to start fuckign up Poland and chipping away at Lithuania real bad.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Speaking of thresholds, is there a way to make the rebel notification only pop up at 90%?

That would be the best.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The mark of a true mapgamer is feeling bad when you step all over a historical friend and ally. RIP The Livonian Order.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, Papal States OP.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

drat, Papal States OP.

They always were pretty strong, but I've heard they're even more crazy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A cool strong Ryazan is forming in my TO game. As long as Muscovy doesn't get too strong, that's fine.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They always were pretty strong, but I've heard they're even more crazy.

They are the TO of Italy and always have been... You used to start out small enough to join the HRE, so you could then just swallow all of Italy and most people dont hate you because you are the Pope. One thing that sucks is that a center of reformation almost always spawns near you so you'll probably not be an actual Catholic nation for long.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

They are the TO of Italy and always have been... You used to start out small enough to join the HRE, so you could then just swallow all of Italy and most people dont hate you because you are the Pope. One thing that sucks is that a center of reformation almost always spawns near you so you'll probably not be an actual Catholic nation for long.

You can still join the HRE by budding up to Austria, which you'll want to do anyway since they're of great help in conquering Aragon/Naples and the northern Italian states before the Shadow Kingdom event fires.

I'm sure someone out there has conquered more territory in less time, but there's no way I would have got this much without Austrian help. Just releasing Naples from Aragon takes 60 war score alone. And so far the Shadow Kingdom event hasn't fired.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Do the holy trinity achievement.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I actually took quantity as my first idea in this TO game just because of how troublesome manpower is. Gonna take admin too because I use mercs and need core creation perk. I don't think I've ever taken quantity outside of the one time I played Muscovy.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do the holy trinity achievement.

Yeah, that's what I'm going for. The Knights are allied with Venice who I'm planning to kill soon, so that's them covered. And I've already got a claim forged in Lika so I can pounce on Hungary and release Croatia at an opportune moment, they will be my springboard into the Ottomans and eventually, Jerusalem. Livonian Order and Teutonic Order will be trickier but I'll go for them once I've consolidated Italy.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I actually took quantity as my first idea in this TO game just because of how troublesome manpower is. Gonna take admin too because I use mercs and need core creation perk. I don't think I've ever taken quantity outside of the one time I played Muscovy.

I've been going Influence -> Administrative in pretty much every game where I'm going Wide and not colonising. I liked Quantity initially but I think you get a lot more done with higher military tech and a web of strong alliances that Influence helps you get/keep, to say nothing of the diplo-annex discounts and of course, the mercs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

I've been going Influence -> Administrative in pretty much every game where I'm going Wide and not colonising. I liked Quantity initially but I think you get a lot more done with higher military tech and a web of strong alliances that Influence helps you get/keep, to say nothing of the diplo-annex discounts and of course, the mercs.

This, but sometimes religious or economic. I always go quantity 3rd as a colonizer for the extra colonist if im colonizing. Otherwise I'm a fan of Offensive first.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I find it hard to not rush admin first in every game now. The merc costs helps solve your manpower crisis, the coring cost reduction is EXTREMELY GOOD now, and the admin tech cost helps you catch back up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don;t want to play my TO game anymore because I attacked poland when they and Lithuania had no manpower and Austria/Muscovy (my allies) somehow just kept sending a quarter of their army into a meat grinder over and over and now I'm going to have to take out 10 loans to win.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

I find it hard to not rush admin first in every game now. The merc costs helps solve your manpower crisis, the coring cost reduction is EXTREMELY GOOD now, and the admin tech cost helps you catch back up.

It was always extremely good. Taking admin first as an Italian minor will give you a huge force limit from available mercenaries compared to your neighbors, and the core cost reduction is obviously good in Italy's stupidly rich provinces.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

It was always extremely good. Taking admin first as an Italian minor will give you a huge force limit from available mercenaries compared to your neighbors, and the core cost reduction is obviously good in Italy's stupidly rich provinces.

right, but the way coring costs are now, i feel like i just straight up have to focus admin tech and rush admin ideas just so i can stay afloat through the midgame.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As the Pope you get this regular event which is a choice between condemning slavery for 10 devotion and a relations hit with slavers or +1 stability. Slavery it is. As it should be.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buff Pope. Got the first (easiest) March for the chieve, but managed to annul Livonian Order's alliance with Lithuania during the war, so they're next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Rolf read this as Buff Pepe.... Pm me if you don't "get" this one...