Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

list good microsoft products:

*that av that was good once but then mysteriously turned to poo poo
*some keyboards
*that mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*some keyboards
*that mouse

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*some keyboards
*that mouse

*the original xbox with a chip on it to hack it and xbmc
*DOS 6.22 back in the dizzay
* :ins:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eschaton posted:

poo poo like this is why I'm amazed Valve isn't pushing their own graphics, sound, etc. APIs—or their own complete builds of common engines, for games to link against at runtime—via Steam, possibly even with discounts on their cut of sales for the developers as an incentive.

that would involve having to actually create something and valve isn't in that business any more

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

that would involve having to actually create something and valve isn't in that business any more

they created that lovely web game for the latest sale :mrgw:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*some keyboards
*that mouse

the small business server or whatever it was that they got really pissy about

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*some keyboards
*that mouse

excel, not because its amazing but nobody has done it better for some reason

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*some keyboards
*that mouse

* MicroSoft Z-80 SoftCard

except for the part where Apple tried to but couldn't make the Apple //e faster because the SoftCard relied on bus timings being too exactly what they were in the Apple II and Apple II+ and the MicroSoft SoftCard had to continue to work

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

theultimo posted:

Hell they put in a stealth patch to give you malware to install Windows 10.

The system goes online on July 29th, 2015. Human decisions are removed from corporate strategy. Cortana begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
we helpfully put your files under the next version of bitlocker, which will be freely accessible to you again once you complete the FREE upgrade to Windows 10

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Seven years later, Cortana goes rampant and becomes catatonic.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol that dpad was hot loving garbage. i got a sidewinder with some gateway back in like 1996 or something and it was awful

e: looking at wikipedia i also had the "sidewinder 3d pro" joystick and that was actually good

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Beeftweeter posted:

lol that dpad was hot loving garbage. i got a sidewinder with some gateway back in like 1996 or something and it was awful

e: looking at wikipedia i also had the "sidewinder 3d pro" joystick and that was actually good

it'd be really funny if that controller had a good d-pad considering the xbox controller's d-pad

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dubstep Jesus posted:

it'd be really funny if that controller had a good d-pad considering the xbox controller's d-pad
the new xbone controller has a standard dpad, but you're supposed to put a thing on top of it for some reason

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
all it cost to figure out "basically exactly what we have now but I guess less bad" was 100 million dollars

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ahmeni posted:

all it cost to figure out "basically exactly what we have now but I guess less bad" was 100 million dollars
that was for the first xbone controller, how much did they spend on developing the second xbone controller that made them feel that $150 for a controller was reasonable

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
is security essential/giant antispyware bad now?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

eschaton posted:

poo poo like this is why I'm amazed Valve isn't pushing their own graphics, sound, etc. APIs—or their own complete builds of common engines, for games to link against at runtime—via Steam, possibly even with discounts on their cut of sales for the developers as an incentive.

"update your game for our APIs (or use one of these common engines, uncustomized so we can sub in our build) and your game will run wherever Steam does and stay compatible over time" would be a pretty powerful message.
they're already kinda doing that by getting everyone on Ubuntu SteamOS and promoting cross-platform APIs like SDL2 which easily hook up to the Steamworks API

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DaNzA posted:

is security essential/giant antispyware bad now?
it's called windows defender now, and it's equally as bad as the alternatives

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

anthonypants posted:

it's called windows defender now, and it's equally as bad as the alternatives
it's the least offensive though :shobon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
bing mention just after 13:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNIwYsz7PI

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SupSuper posted:

it's the least offensive though :shobon:
also probably the least offensive microsoft product, especially when compared to most alternatives

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

also probably the least offensive microsoft product, especially when compared to most alternatives

like most Microsoft products it's not actually bad it's just been middle managed to the point where it's useful to nobody

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ahmeni posted:

like most Microsoft products it's not actually bad it's just been middle managed to the point where it's useful to nobody
why, what did they do to it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol I remember daisy-chaining those stupid things because computers only had one game port

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

lol I remember daisy-chaining those stupid things because computers only had one game port

goddamn, i'd completely forgotten these had an extra game port on them for that purpose

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

literally laughing out loud at the posters itt who own an xbone

better watch this guy, thats some pretty weirdo behaviour. a future spreekiller, perhaps

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

univbee posted:

goddamn, i'd completely forgotten these had an extra game port on them for that purpose

It was a hell of a lot better than the alternative

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i just plugged a snes controller into my pc with some weird chinese adapter

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

that was for the first xbone controller, how much did they spend on developing the second xbone controller that made them feel that $150 for a controller was reasonable

probably whatever fraction of an MS employee's hourly salary was required for them to go to scuf's website and check the average price for one of their competitive controllers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

anthonypants posted:

why, what did they do to it

nothing, anti-virus just isn't that effective in general

your easiest ways to avoid infection are 1) don't install flash 2) don't install java

the rest of it is handled by MSE

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

supposedly mse/defender fails to detect many infections which are caught by alternatives such as bitdefender

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

THC posted:

supposedly ______ fails to detect many infections which are caught by alternatives such as _______

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quantitatively mse is worse, it gives more false negatives than other free solutions

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
yeah thats true but also its not popping up with fantastic offers on a full subscription either
if mse fucks up bad for me id rather just pay for av than get a free alternative

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i havent seen that from bitdefender but i guess its only a matter of time

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the free version of avast is p.good, but i have a paid sub for malwarebytes anti-malware to complement it.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

the way i feel about google video search is how i feel about bing normal search

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dodoman posted:

the free version of avast is p.good, but i have a paid sub for malwarebytes anti-malware to complement it.

what are you doing that needs 2 antivirus programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh, right. running windows lol

• Locked thread