Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I strongly suggest using the DoomRPG launcher for it instead of ZDL, but if you want to you have to make the DoomRPG folder into a pk3 file, and then load it and whatever compatibility patches your pwad/iwad needs. If you want to use the DoomRLA with it, you should load DoomRLA.wad, then the monsters, hud, and finally DoomRPG itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elliotw2 posted:

I strongly suggest using the DoomRPG launcher for it instead of ZDL, but if you want to you have to make the DoomRPG folder into a pk3 file, and then load it and whatever compatibility patches your pwad/iwad needs. If you want to use the DoomRLA with it, you should load DoomRLA.wad, then the monsters, hud, and finally DoomRPG itself.

tried using DoomRPG Launcher but it's garbage that doesn't work, also how do I make a pk3 file?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

drrockso20 posted:

well I'm lazy and computer illiterate enough that I don't want to mess with making batch or shell files(one of the reasons I use ZDL, cause it makes running Doom simple as hell), but when I try to set up ZDL to launch DoomRPG I can't figure out how to get it running with that(turns out there's no issues with DoomRLA and RL Monsters cause those are just WAD files and ZDL can handle those easily)

I don't use ZDL, but all I had to do for my launcher was to get it to load the appropriate folders in the DoomRPG folder... but I guess if you're totally unwilling to make a batch file, there isn't much you'll be able to do about that.

edit: elliot is much better versed in this and his suggestion is WAY better than the way I currently do it.

edit^2: Also, if you're really this lazy and aren't willing to expend even a modicum of effort, there is no way you'll ever find the energy to bind the keys for DoomRPG/RL and figure out the menu system. Just don't bother.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
what is this filth

This is the real version; get that PS2 garbage outta here :c00lbert:

Also nobody linked to Yahtzee's song?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

drrockso20 posted:

tried using DoomRPG Launcher but it's garbage that doesn't work, also how do I make a pk3 file?

Throw everything in the folder in either a .zip or .7z file and rename it as .pk3 or .pk7.

Or you can use the command line options, the launcher normally uses this, replace paths and add files as needed.

"G:\games\PC\Doom\gzdoom.exe" -iwad Doom2 -file "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLArsenal.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLHUD.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLMonsters.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG"

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 23, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SilentW posted:

I don't use ZDL, but all I had to do for my launcher was to get it to load the appropriate folders in the DoomRPG folder... but I guess if you're totally unwilling to make a batch file, there isn't much you'll be able to do about that.

edit: elliot is much better versed in this and his suggestion is WAY better than the way I currently do it.

edit^2: Also, if you're really this lazy and aren't willing to expend even a modicum of effort, there is no way you'll ever find the energy to bind the keys for DoomRPG/RL and figure out the menu system. Just don't bother.

rebinding keys is something I don't mind doing, same with figuring out menues, just really didn't want to deal with anything complicated

Elliotw2 posted:

Throw everything in the folder in either a .zip or .7z file and rename it as .pk3 or .pk7.

Or you can use the command line options, the launcher normally uses this, replace paths and add files as needed.

"G:\games\PC\Doom\gzdoom.exe" -iwad Doom2 -file "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLArsenal.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLHUD.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLMonsters.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG"

I'll give it a shot

EDIT: neither of those options worked

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 23, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is the only thing I remember about Daikatana 64...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Daikatana 64 is loving awful, and I say this as someone that is a legit fan of the original game. The game is slow and clunky, map design is horrid throughout the entire game (not just E1 and the end of E4), and it it looks like complete rear end. The only good part is the so bad it's funny NPC dialogue Kins posted.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Kins posted:

This is the only thing I remember about Daikatana 64...

wait there was a console port of Daikatana!?!?!?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

There was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNrKqlOQ9Q

http://www.amazon.com/Daikatana-Nintendo-64/dp/B0009MJA5U

If you want the DK64 experience yourself and don't want to set up an emulator, boot up Daikatana, set all of the graphics to be as low as possible, make the resolution very low, then play all of Episode 1 with only a keyboard.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
You know, I never wanted to make you my bitch, not you, not them, not any of the other players and, most importantly, not any of my fans. Up until that ad, I felt I had a great relationship with the gamer and the game development community and that ad changed everything... I regret it and I apologize for it.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

There was also a Gameboy "port" of Daikatana.

And it was actually pretty good!

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nokiaman posted:

Just finished Hexen:DotDC! It was wayyyy less confusing than regular Hexen and I liked some of the maps a lot more.

I am playing Hexen II now and it's pretty cool how they handled the transition to 3D. Only odd thing is that move speed is faster when strafing for some reason. Feels really weird. I don't recall that in Q1 :confused:
Also more poo poo to smash. Heck yeah!
For some bizarre reason, Hexen II's sv_maxspeed is cranked up to 640 by default. That's double speed compared to Quake's, which is 320. You move fast as hell which can be fun sometimes but other times can be hard to control.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The Early FPS Megathread - Go away your, nuts!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Keiya posted:

I need to play Deus Ex some time... I also need to get around to System Shock 2...

Oh my god yes those are some nugget of gold in the endless sea of lovely video games. System shock 2 is actually creepy and atmospheric. I even think it gets better with age since it the lost to time theme works well with the lonelyness of space. I played it for the first time a year ago and it still held up. Depends on your tolerance for lovely graphics. The interface design is solid as gently caress and when you adapt to it, it feels very natural and free. Just make sure you rebind the controls.

Deus ex is great but takes a while to get going. Its interesting all the way through.

Both games have good level design and stat mechanics. The shooting in both of them is servicable, almost bad. Later on you turn into a total demigod by middle to late game. Good poo poo

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

uncleKitchener posted:

Given the subject of the thread, I vote for "Computers today is easy to use."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minidust posted:

My little sister just Steam-gifted me Deux Ex for my birthday. :3: Never played it before so that should be a nice experience.

:stare: Drop everything you're doing until you've corrected this huge mistake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have yet to play System Shock 2, so I think I'll remedy that soon. Any graphical patches that are compatible with the Steam + Mac version that I need?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played Days Ex before either :ohdear:

And also System Shock 2:ohdear::ohdear:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played Days Ex before either :ohdear:

And also System Shock 2:ohdear::ohdear:

why are you posting instead of rectifying this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:stonk: what the gently caress is going on.

For all the scrubs in the thread, you can play the vanilla versions and they're good too. But if you never played them back in the day, you may miss out on the nostalgia that lets us ignore the simple textures of the time.

You could use the following:

Deus Ex New Vision: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

System Shock SHTUP: http://www.moddb.com/mods/shtup-system-shock-2-texture-upgrade

play both of these games right the gently caress now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have yet to play System Shock 2, so I think I'll remedy that soon. Any graphical patches that are compatible with the Steam + Mac version that I need?

Found this if you have trouble getting the above to work on mac

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/how_to_modding_system_shock_2_on_os_x

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Drop everything you're doing until you've corrected this huge mistake.

Zaphod42 posted:

:stonk: what the gently caress is going on.

For all the scrubs in the thread, you can play the vanilla versions and they're good too. But if you never played them back in the day, you may miss out on the nostalgia that lets us ignore the simple textures of the time.

You could use the following:

Deus Ex New Vision: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

System Shock SHTUP: http://www.moddb.com/mods/shtup-system-shock-2-texture-upgrade

play both of these games right the gently caress now.

Found this if you have trouble getting the above to work on mac

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/how_to_modding_system_shock_2_on_os_x
Thanks for the advice, and for preemptively answering my next question. :tipshat:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As great as sshock2 and Deus Ex are, please don't play them vanilla.

Here's the post I made in the GOG thread about what mods to use:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

For sshock 2:

SCP, as mentioned.
SHTUP (HD textures, link to a SCP-compatible version is in the SCP post)

If you like, everything else in the OP here (all of the mods I just mentioned are there) https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0, plus vurt's hi-res space textures: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4135. Everything except SCP is just beautifying mods to make the game look slightly less rear end.

For Deus Ex:

biomod
Deus Exe http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ (I think the GOG version has Deus Exe pre-included)

If you want to make it look less like rear end:
HDTP http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp
New Vision http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

ss2 needs a modloader and needs you to make sure your load order works, Deus Ex just requires you to install all of it together.

At the very least, use biomod and SCP, which are the fan patches/rebalance mods. The better textures/models stuff you can skip if you want.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 23, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lemon Curdistan posted:

As great as sshock2 and Deus Ex are please don't play them vanilla.

This is probably why I quit SS2 in frustration the many times I attempted to play it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I don't know about you guys, but I've been playing SS2 and DX vanilla and it's been great outside of having to turn up the brightness since it's a really dark game. I'm pretty sure the only mod I even used was the Malkavian mod.

reinardus vulpes posted:

Given the subject of the thread, I vote for "Computers today is easy to use."

Then someone needs to list all the in-game dialog for N64 Daiaktana, because it sounds like a goldmine.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I'm gonna be a :spergin: and say to only play Deus Ex and SS2 with the mods that make it just work on modern OS (Deus Exe, kentie's DX10 renderer, whatever unofficial patch there is for SS2 nowadays).

If you want to play with the high-res textures for DX, that's cool, but please don't use HDTP. Holy crap the models are bad.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

I'm gonna be a :spergin: and say to only play Deus Ex and SS2 with the mods that make it just work on modern OS (Deus Exe, kentie's DX10 renderer, whatever unofficial patch there is for SS2 nowadays).

If you want to play with the high-res textures for DX, that's cool, but please don't use HDTP. Holy crap the models are bad.

the object models are okay but the people are awful

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Segmentation Fault posted:

the object models are okay but the people are awful

not unlike this community, am i right

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I played through Deus Ex my first time with DeusExe and Shifter. It wasn't until after I'd beaten the game that I'd noticed that there was some sentiment that Shifter was a mod better suited for second playthroughs than first playthroughs. Can't say as I remember why, exactly (something to do with it heavily promoting stealthy non-lethal playthroughs over all other kinds by giving you more EXP for playing that way, IIRC), but I never lost much sleep over it (because that was precisely the kind of playthrough I'd wanted to do regardless).

Also,

uncleKitchener posted:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I played through vanilla Deus Ex for the first time just a year or two ago and it's totally fine, I've never been interested in Shifter/Biomod because it sounds like a lot of unnecessary additions. Just slap whatever thing it is that makes Deus Ex look like it's supposed to (New Vision? I can't remember) and get in there.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

There's no need to play deus ex with 'balance mods' and i'd strongly advise using them for a first playthrough. For gently caress's sake.

All you need is the dx10 renderer and maybe the new vision texture mod because it provides unobtrusive texture upgrades that are faithful to the originals. HDTP is appallingly ugly garbage.

koren fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 23, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If the objective is to get rid of the bugs or exploits, then that's not the way to go. The DX10 renderer is a good choice, but biomod and shifter should be used after you're done playing through the game normally at least once.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Biomod rebalances skills and augs to remove lovely trap choices from the game, which makes it objectively better for a first playthrough by someone who's never played Deus Ex before. It also adds small convenience tweaks like stacking items in the inventory or mantling.

Play it vanilla to see what vanilla is like on your second playthrough if you want, but telling people they should play it vanilla on their first playthrough is dumb purism.

Likewise, SCP is bug fixes and a couple of balance tweaks. There's literally no reason not to use both with their respective games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's deusier ex than deus ex

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm playing that Prodoomer mod. The RPG elements seem to be well done, and the spells are useful in their own way (especially the sandbags), but then it takes graphics and sounds from a bunch of games and makes this weird mishmash. This does mean there's a huge variety of enemies, though. Some of them are really overpowered, especially the Vores introduced in Level 9. Having homing projectiles that can follow you all over a level and kill you in one hit is not a good idea.

The levels are pretty big, some of them are horrible switch hunts, though. I had to noclip a couple of them because I flipped all the switches I could find and I still couldn't advance. There's also Sonic Rings hidden in every level, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get most of them without cheats. This mod has a serious case of "if I can find it, everyone can" syndrome. I don't think it was play-tested very well.

I can't help but keep playing it, though, just to see how bad it can get.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, I'd definitely wait till the second play through before installing either Shifter (what i prefer) or biomod.

The dx9 or 10 (depending on your system) renderer is basically a requirement on modern systems though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

It's deusier ex than deus ex

Would definitely install and use a mod that just added a key to have JC say all of the Brutal Doom lines in his deadpan robot voice.

"Rip and tear. gently caress yourself. What a shame."

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Deus Ex: Brutal Revolution

"Yeah, rip and tear."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
the rex-84 map has been redesigned to be based off of real FEMA death camps