Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's a sad indictment of your culture that you think the primary/only purpose of law is to punish criminals.
I simply take laws very seriously, and I believe they should be applied in a sober and respectful way. I don't know where you got the idea that I believe the primary purpose of a law is to punish criminals, since words can't do anything. Laws simply instruct the legal apparatus how to handle a criminal in the wake of a crime. It's the people who do the punishing. I also don't see what this has to do with my "culture," either. The culture I grew up in does not endorse my philosophy at all.

quote:

I am aware that the notion of protecting people from themselves can be taken too far, but consider that when some lidless squid distributes himself all over the side of your mother's car, even if she's not at fault she's going to be a lot more shaken up about it if he's dead (to say nothing of his friends and family). Helmet laws are not just about the rider.
You can construe any occurrence to be a victimization that way, though. People shouldn't eat 15,000 calories a day in cheeseburgers, but some folks do. When they keel over in public from a sudden heart attack and die right in front of a small child, I'm sure that the kid will be pretty shaken up. There's no universality there. You're establishing arbitrary stuff to justify your preferred use of law: "People are idiots..." and "...she's going to be...shaken up..." while I'm working from first principles.

This is all just for purposes of arguing on the internet, anyway, since neither you nor I make the laws, nor even really have much influence on those who do. There will always be places in the world that don't actively require someone to wear a helmet, and there will always be other places that do. I just wanted to illustrate that it's possible to separate the fact that something is a good idea from the insistence that there should be a law.

SquadronROE posted:

Does living in a helmet-law state make insurance go up or down?
I don't know. I assume it actuates out to higher risk for the insurance company, so I pay more. Although my insurance company knows I wear a helmet, so maybe they take that into account?

quote:

Yep. Laws also exist to help compel people to do safe things. Laws form part of the moral fabric of society. Not to the same extent that, say, family values do, but they're a part of it.
You're describing how something works presently, but that's not the only way it can be.

quote:

Additionally they help to guarantee a specific standard is held across a broad group.
Laws guarantee essentially nothing, though. They have to be applied by people. History is rife with examples of corrupt individuals applying the law aggressively or neglecting it entirely as it suits their purposes.

quote:

Granted, the implicit threat is that you will get fined if it's not up to spec - but it's harder to broadly apply positive reinforcement than negative.
But you and I can't even have a discussion about this, because your jumping-off point already accepts the idea that a parent-like government exists to positively or negatively reinforce my behavior. I don't believe that's legitimate. Nevertheless, this does not make me in any way a victim of the people who aren't wearing helmets.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Frosty- posted:

I don't know. I assume it actuates out to higher risk for the insurance company, so I pay more. Although my insurance company knows I wear a helmet, so maybe they take that into account?

They don't.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That certainly answers my question. A bunch of bunk about restricting view, more weight, etc. Then the idea that a helmet law isn't a rational idea.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Frosty- posted:

laws laws laws :words:

Are you a first year law student?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Sounds more like first year philosophy student.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

SquadronROE posted:

That certainly answers my question. A bunch of bunk about restricting view, more weight, etc. Then the idea that a helmet law isn't a rational idea.
Yeah, but I'm not the one who brought up any of the excuses why a person wouldn't wear a helmet. I've been consistent in reinforcing that I believe there are none.

builds character posted:

Nope.

I love how offended everyone is that I don't want to force people to do things. It's OK, I'm not going to bother continuing to irritate everyone by being so tolerant of others. You can go back to pretending everyone thinks exactly like you do, and that if anyone ever didn't they could never have a good enough reason, ever.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Sounds more like first year philosophy student.
Also nope. Not any kind of student; just a person.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

builds character posted:

Freshman, philosophy major... Maybe polisci.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frosty- posted:

I simply take laws very seriously, and I believe they should be applied in a sober and respectful way. I don't know where you got the idea that I believe the primary purpose of a law is to punish criminals, since words can't do anything. Laws simply instruct the legal apparatus how to handle a criminal in the wake of a crime. It's the people who do the punishing. I also don't see what this has to do with my "culture," either. The culture I grew up in does not endorse my philosophy at all.

This may be the most pedantic thing I've ever read. Like, bravo mister, you sure schooled me about the inability of a rulebook to throw itself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Frosty- posted:

There can be no rational argument against wearing a helmet. Anyone who believes it's OK to ride a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot.

That being said – and I know this is going to be confusing to a lot of people – I don't think there is any rational argument for helmet laws. Written laws are an application of force. The law says to do or not-do a thing, and if you violate the law, there will be some sort of consequence. If you resist the consequence, there is an escalation of force which eventually terminates in someone with a gun pointed at you (I don't wear helmet -> I get ticket; I don't pay ticket -> I get [some other police thing]; I resist detention or whatever -> cops want to shoot me). Anyone who believes that it's wrong to initiate force against a person to compel them doesn't believe that leaves any room for for-your-own-good laws. This means that while it's completely logical and intelligent to wear a helmet, and every biker who refuses to do so is a moron, it's also wrong to make them do it, because the only way to accomplish that is with the threat of force.

Laws should exist to aid in prosecuting people who commit actual criminal offenses that result in victims. Assaults, rapes, murders, theft and robbery, vandalism, that sort of thing.

My point is that it's entirely possible for something to be the thing you should definitely do, and still not deserve a law compelling you to do it.
I don't live in a helmet-law state, but most of the riders I encounter here are wearing full-face helmets. I rode without a helmet a couple times while my first one was still shipping, and I didn't like it very much. Too much noise, too much wind stressing out my eyes, and way too much danger. It's up to those of us who ride and know exactly why a helmet is a good idea to keep repeating that to the folks who don't wear one, and basically to shame them into doing it. It's not a realm where the law should intervene.

gently caress off.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Frosty- posted:

Yeah, but I'm not the one who brought up any of the excuses why a person wouldn't wear a helmet. I've been consistent in reinforcing that I believe there are none.
Right. You wear a helmet. The point you brought up is the rationality behind a law, which was interesting and a point I have heard often - but not specifically applied to helmets. I was curious as to if having a law meant that an insurance company could classify the risk lower and drop insurance rates. Dunno though. Maybe I'll just ask my insurance company instead of a random forum on the Internet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frosty- posted:

People aren't rational though, was my point. We're conditioned to ignore or downplay the possibility of our own death, so in order to have us behave in a manner approaching rationality it is necessary to impose petty fines and cautions for being caught doing such a risky thing as riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's been a long time since I've had to fire up the ol' ignore list, but there it is.

I liked asking and answering motorcycle questions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Hobbes rules, communism drools!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

them's fightin' words for someone else

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

For what its worth, Ive had more friends die with helmets on their heads than friends who didnt wear helmets.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I know more people that have died in cars than on motorcycles. Clearly cars are a more dangerous form of transportation.

Maybe if we were forced to wear helmets in cars...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The American Motorcycle Association doesn't like helmet laws and they are the American Motorcycling Association! If helmets were great you would think that the group dedicated to motorcycles would be on board.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Hay guys, any more ideas about the Ninja 300?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Does it still die if you give it some gas while/immediately after starting?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Hit it with some ether and see what happens

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

XYLOPAGUS posted:

From the manual troubleshooting section:

Spark plug dirty, broken or gap maladjusted
Stick coil trouble
Main throttle sensor trouble
Subthrottle sensor trouble
Subthrottle valve actuator trouble
Intake air pressure sensor trouble
Water temperature sensor trouble
Intake air temperature sensor trouble
Fuel pump trouble
Fuel injector trouble
Fuel pressure too low or too high
Fuel pressure regulator trouble
Fuel line clogged

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Hobbes would kick the living poo poo out of these Austrian School motherfuckers and their "NO gently caress YOU DAD" model of society.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Marx would suggest the problem lies in the alienation of the proletariat and suggest you check that you've not got water in your electrics, which like the insidious propaganda of the bourgeoisie can corrode the unity between the disparate elements of your bike's systems.

Stalin would just send your bike to the gulag though.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You are crazed lunatic like Khrushchev pounding shoe on desk and shouting angry plan to bury motorcycle in deep grave.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

WWMR. What Would Marx Ride?

Probably an Enfield. Bike of the people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Hobbes is spot on. Morality is a lie and the word "good" is almost always interchangeable with "this is something that I find beneficial and conducive to the lifestyle I find preferable".

Cruisers are not "good" bikes. :can:

Edit
Vvvv
:lol:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 23, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Warning: this forum has a gold fringe.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I am a free man on the land!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hobbes would kick the living poo poo out of these Austrian School motherfuckers and their "NO gently caress YOU DAD" model of society.

Sometimes you just gotta throw your leviathan on the table.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone recommend wireless headphones that would fit in with a helmet okay? I have an iphone so I think that uses bluetooth or something

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Mao would...gently caress the bike even though it's not above the 600cc minimum displacement, then starve Kawasaki's employees?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Judge Dredd wears a helmet, and so should you... creep.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone recommend wireless headphones that would fit in with a helmet okay? I have an iphone so I think that uses bluetooth or something

Get bluetooth speakers from Sena or some other manufacturer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't think most bluetooth headphones will fit under a helmet - get a Sena and use a normal set of isolating headphones.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, most of the wireless BT headphones I've seen are more meant for running and such, so they're pretty huge. It would likely be really painful to wear them under a helmet.

I use a set of noise-cancelling earbuds, with the $5 Sena headphone jack adapter, and a Sena. It's pretty self-contained, and sounds fantastic because you're not relying on your helmet to be extremely quiet.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Z3n posted:

I don't think most bluetooth headphones will fit under a helmet - get a Sena and use a normal set of isolating headphones.

Silly question but can you use them without the microphone dongle attached? I don't need to like, talk to people on the phone or anything

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Silly question but can you use them without the microphone dongle attached? I don't need to like, talk to people on the phone or anything

Yeah, although no reason not to have it installed.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I had a pair of LG Tone that for well under my helmet but the neck ring would fling back when I launched from lights.

Now I have this Bluetooth headset and they stick out too far from the ear to be comfortable under a helmet.

Just get a sena or equivalent they are awesome.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

builds character posted:

Does it still die if you give it some gas while/immediately after starting?
Dies with any quantity of throttle upon start up. Never revs.

EX250 Type R posted:

Hit it with some ether and see what happens
May have to try this.

revmoo posted:

From the manual troubleshooting section:

Spark plug dirty, broken or gap maladjusted
Stick coil trouble
Main throttle sensor trouble
Subthrottle sensor trouble
Subthrottle valve actuator trouble
Intake air pressure sensor trouble
Water temperature sensor trouble
Intake air temperature sensor trouble
Fuel pump trouble
Fuel injector trouble
Fuel pressure too low or too high
Fuel pressure regulator trouble
Fuel line clogged
Thanks, I just downloaded the service manual. Hopefully I don't have to make it too far into that list. I'm having the owner pull codes off of it, but she's somewhat inept. For example, I asked her to verify the oil level and she said it was good about a week ago. I was double checking to see if I could see any foam or bubbles and asked her to look at the site glass while I held the bike upright. She looked baffled... Apparently she thought the oil level was on the front brake master cylinder.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I might budget for a sena at some point this summer, right now I'm making do with a pair of sport earbuds that hook over the top of my ear. They range from pretty good (when both sides stay in my ears to the same extent) to excruciatingly terrible, as the shape of my weird mutant ear canals means the right one tends to dig in while the left one worms its way out, which means I get a ton of road noise in one ear and perfectly isolated music in the other.

If I have the volume slightly too high it generally ends up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

At least until I can pull over to fix it up. I'd be right hosed if I didn't have a modular helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Weird problem with a 1983 GS650.

Bike cranks and starts perfectly fine cold. Ride around for a while, kill the engine for a minute or two, and then try to restart, the motor turns over very slowly, like a low-but-not-dead battery. Too slow to start the engine. If I leave it for a few more minutes, it cranks and starts up perfectly normal again, like the battery is fully charged. Battery never drops below 12v, and charges while riding between 12.3 at idle and 14.5 at ~4500 rpm.

This is just a dying battery, right? Anything else I should check before spending the battery money? The fact that it holds a charge and then acts normally after sitting several minutes is throwing me off here.