Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ZearothK posted:

Wait, that fight never happened on my playthrough, but I didn't directly antagonise those dudes when I walked into the bar, so cool bro is still around. Either that or it didn't trigger when I came back.

Maybe you got lucky? I dunno, I don't have a sve of that anymore because only 10 save slots on PS4 for some reason.

Azazell0 posted:

I also had this happen, but it was because I didn't get the contract from him but rather just stumbled upon the lighthouse and the wraith. Went to the bar, got the reward, drank with the guy, fought with the two yokels (even though I was going for a "let's all have a drink" route instead of "you givin' me poo poo? try me" and got my rear end thrown into jail.

Still kicking myself too for going back when the game said OK YOU CAN GO BACK NAO and not searching the lighthouse interior, so I couldn't call the BS on the guy for being in league with pirates.

It still lead to the innkeeper going all mute and me not getting the Thaler card, but they fixed it in the last patch, I think.

When I first walked into the bar, they give you a HEH THIS BAR IS FOR TRU WARRIORS ONLY schtick. You can say "Not looking for trouble" or "lol then what are you doing in here?". I definitely picked the later and they were all mad before cool bro intervened. I talked with him had a drink and then did the quest.

Right after Jorlund and you have a victory drink and he gives you your cash, the assholes decide to start a fight again. Jorlund steps up and is like "looks like Ima have to pound some sense into these dudes", you can either say "nah, relax" or "poundings better with a partner" but it doesn't matter at that point because a fight is unavoidable. One of the assholes draws a sword and shivs Jorlund. He dies in your arms after you cut the assholes to bits.

EDIT:
Here's what happened to me. This guy tried to calm em down at that point but same thing happens.

EDIT 2:
Reddit claims that...
if you do the Cerys/Hjalmar poo poo first, those assholes aren't around.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I just arrived at bald mountain: In the sequence at the Isle of mists is Ciri mentioning "a world were everyone has their own flying ship and war is waged by people with metal in their heads propelling chunks of metal at each other" supposed to be a Cyberpunk reference?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jarmak posted:

So I just arrived at bald mountain: In the sequence at the Isle of mists is Ciri mentioning "a world were everyone has their own flying ship and war is waged by people with metal in their heads propelling chunks of metal at each other" supposed to be a Cyberpunk reference?

That's the thread consensus, but there's nothing solid. If we're lucky we'll know in 2-3 years.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How does the Bloody Baron quest play out if you kill the Botchling when it first appears, instead of telling the Baron to grab it? A huge chunk of that quest relies on the Botchling's ghost thing leading you around. What happens if you kill it instead?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Macaluso posted:

How does the Bloody Baron quest play out if you kill the Botchling when it first appears, instead of telling the Baron to grab it? A huge chunk of that quest relies on the Botchling's ghost thing leading you around. What happens if you kill it instead?

I never took that path but it was stated earlier that one option was to take the botchling's blood to the pellar.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wiseblood posted:

I never took that path but it was stated earlier that one option was to take the botchling's blood to the pellar.

When you kill the botchling, you then take its blood to pellar. The pellar then uses the blood to summon the ghost of the miscarried baby during a ritual where you have to protect 3 stones from endlessly spawning wraiths while he communicates with the spirit. He then uses that info to send you on the track of the fisherman's hut

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 23, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

el oso posted:

I thought that the final act felt rushed and I really started to get confused about why certain characters were doing certain things. Wait, why is the Wild Hunt doing this? Why would they even bother appearing when the sunstone was used? Why would they be on their big boat? Why did Eredin tell Geralt that Avalacc'h was lying to him considering he had no real motivation to say that seconds away from dying? Why would Ciri decide that RIGHT NOW was the time to face the Frost? Etc. It just felt like too much happening that didn't always make much sense.

1. They want Ciri because she's really powerful.
2. By the events that happen immediately afterwards, Eredin appears to see right through it and knows it's a ruse.
3. They always travel on their big boat.
4. Struck me as Eredin just being so twisted that he sees Avalac'h do it and assume that he's in it for a nefarious reason. Eredin's gonna Eredin, basically.
5. It was Avalac'h's idea, Ciri just went along with it.

Note that I haven't read the books and this is just what I assumed. I'm guessing it makes more sense if you've read the novels but I didn't have much trouble with it. The only things that threw me was all the stuff relating to Geralt knowing what the Wild Hunt actually was, that he had ridden with them for a time, and apparently knew about Eredin and such (hence the character page in the glossary).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arglebargle III posted:

It's true actually we're terrible.
Yeah we have been circlejerking endlessly and no one ever complains about anything about the game ever.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What happens with Triss if you don't pursue the romance or ask her to stay? Does she really leave for the rest of the game?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senjuro posted:

What happens with Triss if you don't pursue the romance or ask her to stay? Does she really leave for the rest of the game?
She goes to Poviss or whatever but she does make another appears because she gets batphoned or something.

Timeline question regarding Triss:
Have I seen that if you hold off on doing "now or never" (to send her and everyone off to Poviss or whatever) till after the battle of Kaer Morhen, elves and dwarves wont be getting burned at the stake? Does that affect anything else?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Senjuro posted:

spoilers for late game:She comes back for the fight at Kaer Morhen

I was pretty amused when (ending slides spoiler)Sigi told me not gently caress Yen because she was too political. But the ending slides reveal that Triss+Geralt went to work for a king in kovir while Yen+Geralt hosed off to the middle of nowhere.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 23, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lord Lambeth posted:

spoilers for late game:She comes back for the fight at Kaer Morhen

I was pretty amused when (ending slides spoiler)Sigi told me not gently caress Yen because she was too political. But the ending slides reveal that Triss+Geralt went to work for a king in kovir while Yen+Geralt hosed off to the middle of nowhere.
There is also supposedly a slide you can get where Geralt and Triss gently caress off to a house that always smells like bread or something

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

There is also supposedly a slide you can get where Geralt and Triss gently caress off to a house that always smells like bread or something

That is the same one. If you romance Triss and don't get the bad endning, Geralt always ends up living the sweet life in Kovir while sugar-mama Triss works as an advisor to the king

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can sorceresses not transmute stuff into gold? Are their jobs purely status symbols and power plays?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Can sorceresses not transmute stuff into gold? Are their jobs purely status symbols and power plays?

well they can take off their lingerie with just their minds :pervert:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Ha, I'm currently doing the exact same thing. Level 23? Guess it's time to do that level 7 quest I forgot about.

Furthermore, I spent an inordinate amount of time loving around with settings to try and hit a constant 60FPS. Once I realized I couldn't do that in this game and have most of the sliders on high/ultra I said "gently caress it", cranked everything to ultra w/hairworks and locked the FPS to 30 through my gpu control panel. It actually plays just fine at 30 and seems pretty smooth since the framerate doesn't skitter all over the place.

Edit:someone said it earlier, but I'll reiterate - 60FPS is really only a big deal for FPS games. For third-person a nice stable 30 seems much better than 40-60 with frame drops.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Need this threads opinion since I can't decide myself.
I'm level 20 and have completed the Ciri parts of Velen and Novigrad (but haven't started Dandelion quests). However, my game is kinda permanently bugged reguarding some secondary, contract, and some point of interests, such as Person in Distress permanently stuck in their cage cause the bandit leaders didn't drop keys for some reason. So now I'm unable to 100% the game, which I was aiming for beforehand and had done a bunch of poo poo anyways.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should just put the game down until the DLC expansions come out and play it again then, or push through and finish it and have everything broken nagging at me. Thoughts?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Furthermore, I spent an inordinate amount of time loving around with settings to try and hit a constant 60FPS. Once I realized I couldn't do that in this game and have most of the sliders on high/ultra I said "gently caress it", cranked everything to ultra w/hairworks and locked the FPS to 30 through my gpu control panel. It actually plays just fine at 30 and seems pretty smooth since the framerate doesn't skitter all over the place.

Edit:someone said it earlier, but I'll reiterate - 60FPS is really only a big deal for FPS games. For third-person a nice stable 30 seems much better than 40-60 with frame drops.

I'd rather play this game at 60 FPS on low than 30 on high/ultra. It's just a preference thing and to me it just feels so much better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Broose posted:

I'm level 20 and have completed the Ciri parts of Velen and Novigrad (but haven't started Dandelion quests). However, my game is kinda permanently bugged reguarding some secondary, contract, and some point of interests, such as Person in Distress permanently stuck in their cage cause the bandit leaders didn't drop keys for some reason. So now I'm unable to 100% the game, which I was aiming for beforehand and had done a bunch of poo poo anyways.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should just put the game down until the DLC expansions come out and play it again then, or push through and finish it and have everything broken nagging at me. Thoughts?

Some things get bugged randomly, its not really a big deal, just suck it up. It's freeing. PS there is no 100% - you can't do every segment in a playthrough. I certainly feel the same nag and was able to suppress it and the game was better for it. (I still did all the quests I could.)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Probably it's not possible or not practical, given that Triss works as exterminator to get some gold when you meet her

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's strange that the booze to make White Gull is literally never lootable and so ridiculously expensive to buy. I mean it's not like I have much else to spend my 30k gold on but having to spend more than I have on everything else in the game combined on booze to fill out the superior alchemy items is weird.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sindai posted:

It's strange that the booze to make White Gull is literally never lootable and so ridiculously expensive to buy. I mean it's not like I have much else to spend my 30k gold on but having to spend more than I have on everything else in the game combined on booze to fill out the superior alchemy items is weird.

It is lootable but pretty rare. I didn't start finding it til my late 20's so maybe it's a level scaling things. I probably spent more money on it than anything else in the game combined though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A few hundred gold for each endgame alchemy item isn't really that crazy in a game with tens of thousands of gold. If anything I think mid-level potions should have been harder/more expensive to make.

It is really funny that there is an expensive recipe to make alcohest, which every poor peasant has a box of.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Arglebargle III posted:

That health bar is blood-colored. The more wizard drugs you take, the more it turns yellow/green. It's just letting you know that you're hosed up on wizard drugs.

I know that. But I'm still confused with my Werewolf decoction apparently causing me to regenerate slowly, despite it not saying so on the label. Want to know if that is a bug or not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Randler posted:

I know that. But I'm still confused with my Werewolf decoction apparently causing me to regenerate slowly, despite it not saying so on the label. Want to know if that is a bug or not.

Sure you don't have a source of natural regeneration that you only noticed when you were examining your newly-yellow health bar?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Slashrat posted:

That is the same one. If you romance Triss and don't get the bad endning, Geralt always ends up living the sweet life in Kovir while sugar-mama Triss works as an advisor to the king
Oh, derp.

Broose posted:

I would leave it up to how much you would enjoy a second play through. I had a few bugs/missed a few things/ect but I pushed through because I know I will enjoy a second play through eventually (once a DLC drops). I actually have the urge to play through again right now because -despite the terrible inventory UI- I loved the game and want to play it again, which is really rare for me.

edit: the rewards for the secondary quests/contracts are probably inconsequential so I would not worry about that (because you can do them for the content on a later playthrough), and you could probably enable the dev console or whatever it is to get it to spawn the key you need for the Person of Interest in distress.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah. After buying all the recipes I was wondering what I was going to do with all my money now. However, if you don't abuse the alchemist at the graveyard for cheap runestones, either crafting or buying runestones and glyphs become another money sink. dealing with the white gull bottleneck is also the other money sink.

Also, much like other buggy merchants, all you need to do to make the graveyard alchemist talk to you is go outside and meditate for an hour. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, as long as he is there in the front.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just did the drunk Kaer Morhan bit with the other two Witchers and god please let one of the final DLC missions involve a mission wherein the 3 of them get wasted and take on a contract, failing miserably

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bitched out when Lambert started talking about sneaking in to Yen's room to use her megascope thingy.

Did I gently caress up?

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Well poo poo. I've finished the game. Now I don't know what to do. Took me 102 hours - I don't think I've ever spent that much time playing one video game before.

I hope the dlc's are good.

Also, it's pretty drat polished, but so was the Witcher 2 and they released an enhanced edition of that, so maybe that'll happen before I play again.

BTW, and unspoilered because I wish I'd known this earlier: apparently if you want to have a romance you have to lock out the other person completely or it'll all fall apart.

I romanced Triss and finished her plotline before I ever went to Skellige, shagged Yen once but broke things off in The Last Wish, and wound up with Geralt alone at the end of the game. Speaking of endings, if you don't take Ciri to see her father but otherwise do everything right, is that the one where she becomes a witcher? I kind of found the ending cards a bit abrupt, but that's probably because I've played the other two games multiple times each and would like a more Return of the King ending that never ends... but that's probably a bit selfish. The denoument in White Orchid was really nice though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I bitched out when Lambert started talking about sneaking in to Yen's room to use her megascope thingy.

Did I gently caress up?

You sure did son. You and the witcher bros get more drunk and then try to fit into some of Yen's dresses. Because of course, no one is going to believe them on the megascope unless they look like sorceresses, duh. So they fiddle with the scope and eventually manage to drunk dial the head priest guy of the Eternal Fire who's basically just like "hello... uh, hello?" then Yennefer shows up and is NOT AMUSED.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Well poo poo. I've finished the game. Now I don't know what to do. Took me 102 hours - I don't think I've ever spent that much time playing one video game before.

I hope the dlc's are good.

Also, it's pretty drat polished, but so was the Witcher 2 and they released an enhanced edition of that, so maybe that'll happen before I play again.

BTW, and unspoilered because I wish I'd known this earlier: apparently if you want to have a romance you have to lock out the other person completely or it'll all fall apart.

I romanced Triss and finished her plotline before I ever went to Skellige, shagged Yen once but broke things off in The Last Wish, and wound up with Geralt alone at the end of the game. Speaking of endings, if you don't take Ciri to see her father but otherwise do everything right, is that the one where she becomes a witcher? I kind of found the ending cards a bit abrupt, but that's probably because I've played the other two games multiple times each and would like a more Return of the King ending that never ends... but that's probably a bit selfish. The denoument in White Orchid was really nice though.

i romanced triss, and then banged yen once and then never did her other quests. i got the good ending.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Moridin920 posted:

Did I gently caress up?

Yes, yes you did.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Huh. I was able to buy a duplicate nobile figurine from the guy in Novigrad, and then after finishing the Tyromancer's place (and getting the Emmantaler) I bought more stuff from the vendor and got the "of dairy and darkness" quest. Is there part of the house I missed or is this a bug? Is there a specific item that triggers the quest, but you're able to break the order by doing the parts outside it?

In that vein, I've totally broken quest order by doing Morkvarg before "the king is dead" was even partway done.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Doing Morkvarg early is pretty much expected - there's even dialogue written for it:
Villager: Craven left to kill Morkvarg and hasn't been seen since.
Geralt: I already killed Morkvarg, no big
Villager: Oh......he left before you though

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

I'd rather play this game at 60 FPS on low than 30 on high/ultra. It's just a preference thing and to me it just feels so much better.

I'm really used to 30FPS from playing too much Bloodborne, but I understand. I have a high-end PC and not being able to max out the game gave me the itch to just start throwing money at it, so this was my compromise!

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i romanced triss, and then banged yen once and then never did her other quests. i got the good ending.

Well, that's annoying.

If you successfully romance Triss is there any special dialogue when you meet up again at Kaer Morhan or for the rest of the game or is it business as usual until the end?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
If you don't romance Yen, Do the other Witchers still give you a ton of poo poo about being completely whipped by a sorceress?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Well, that's annoying.

If you successfully romance Triss is there any special dialogue when you meet up again at Kaer Morhan or for the rest of the game or is it business as usual until the end?

almost nothing, you get a scene in novigrad where triss talks about her future plans during the tidying up loose ends portion after kaer morhan but that is it. they clearly intend yen to be the canon choice. the ending scenario is nice though with geralt getting to take it easy and take contracts for fun while triss pays the bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

pik_d posted:

If you don't romance Yen, Do the other Witchers still give you a ton of poo poo about being completely whipped by a sorceress?

Not as much as you deserve.