Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Alain Post posted:

It's funny, because they're the same guys who realized that the Doom monsters were lacking in challenge and made things like the Mancubus, Arach, Arch-vile, PE, all of which turned the game from "run fast and never get hit" into something that could be legitimately complex and involved with good map design. Without that, I don't know if the Doom mapping community is anywhere near what it is today.
I'm sure it wouldn't be. Like a year ago I wrote a big sperpost about how nearly all the Doom 2 monsters deepen the gameplay experience beyond "dodge a normal projectile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
What quake mods are worth checking out?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

The various recent func_mapjams have produced some really awesome work. They're a pretty safe starting point.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Klaus88 posted:

The Altar of Storms is incredible. Rubicon, Arcanum and Honey are also great, as well as the retro jams and func_mapjams said earlier.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
You should start off with Nehahra. It's a great showcase for what custom content in Quake 1 can be and is old enough that you can still be wowed by modern releases.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Nintendo Kid posted:

Wolfenstein 3D was unambiguously earlier by more than a year and quite popular in its own right

Catacomb Abyss beat that by a year and Maze Wars beat that by a full decade plus.

The first online multiplayer FPS was made in the 1970s. Gaming history is weird.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72P9-6S7qM

Someone needs to replace Jon St. John's batteries. :downs:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The emulation's gotta be screwed up.

Playing FPSes on low-powered handhelds is always a treat. My grandmother bought me Doom for GBA many years ago, bless her heart. In fairness, it was a pretty ambitious attempt at making Doom playable with four buttons and a D-pad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

RyokoTK posted:

Playing FPSes on low-powered handhelds is always a treat. My grandmother bought me Doom for GBA many years ago, bless her heart. In fairness, it was a pretty ambitious attempt at making Doom playable with four buttons and a D-pad.

I've heard that between Wolf3D, Doom and Doom 2 on GBA, two of them are good? I can't remember which ones though. And there was Duke Nukem on GBA? I've seen some shots of things they tried to do, like reflections and poo poo, but I don't know if the game is half decent or not.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I heard that Wolf and Doom 2 were good. The only one I had between them was the first Doom. It ran badly, was heavily pared down, and was just not fun to play. I mean, obviously, it's a loving GBA.

But still, the idea of having Doom 2 in a Micro GBA to frag demons on the go sounds pretty drat tempting.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I had Duke Nukem for the GBA, and it wasn't bad. It was a unique campaign, fairly short and simple (as you might expect) but surprisingly competently executed all things considered.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

About all I know about Duke on GBA is that the campaign is totally original and that the Greys from Reelism come from it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There was also Dark Arena, a GBA FPS made by some Doom mappers, apparently.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Geight posted:

Did 3 have them? I'll be honest, I've never been able to play through 3 all the way through. I planned to when I bought the BFG edition on sale, but then I heard the BFG edition kind of messes up the gameplay by giving you the always-on flashlight and making you move fast and throwing ammo around everywhere in a lame attempt to make Doom 3 into something it isn't.

My advice is that you should try the BFG edition, the always-on flashlight actually makes for a more agressive gameplay instead of "lets look round and see if I see a zombie's toe before I go there", you move faster so you can risk more and have more ammo since most weapons in vanilla Doom 3 were kind of lovely. You can still do point blank shotgunning wich was the most viable tactic and Resurrection of Evil gave you the super shotgun so it was all fine. Some people prefer Doom 3 with mods that adjust damage and that stuff, but since BFG edition is not moddable (as far as I know) to me is a more bearable experience if you just want to do a single playthrough of Doom 3 + RoS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I heard that Wolf and Doom 2 were good. The only one I had between them was the first Doom. It ran badly, was heavily pared down, and was just not fun to play. I mean, obviously, it's a loving GBA.

But still, the idea of having Doom 2 in a Micro GBA to frag demons on the go sounds pretty drat tempting.

Shadow Hog posted:

About all I know about Duke on GBA is that the campaign is totally original and that the Greys from Reelism come from it.

So, here's what I know.

GBA Wolf3D is a pretty direct port of the PC version, but it suffers from a poor framerate, no music and the fact that, uh, the Doom port kind of came out a year earlier. Oops.

GBA Doom uses the original Doom engine with the simplified Atari Jaguar map set that most console ports used. It's also censored - all the blood is green - to achieve a T rating... apparently this made sense at the time because yadda yadda younger handheld market blah blah. If you're one of the six people on Earth to have the game, a GBA link cable and a friend that also has the game, it also has eight new maps for Deathmatch.

Doom 2 was rebuilt using Southpaw Engine, a FPS engine built specifically for the GBA. The censorship from Doom 1 returns, Industrial Zone and The Chasm are split into two maps for memory reasons, and some other maps are altered to reduce strain on the GBA. Also, the Wolfenstein maps have texture alterations to replace Nazi imagery with RTCW stuff, amusingly.

Duke Advance is an original game by Torus Games, the Australian studio behind the aformentioned Doom 2 port and Southpaw Engine. Enemies and weapons are a mixture of recycled Duke 3D content and original stuff like the Grey alien. It's... okay? Noting special. The art's probably a little too bright and washed out to make up for the original GBA model's lack of screen lighting.

I haven't played Dark Arena in years, so I'll have to refresh my memory on that one...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who even liked vanilla doom 3, the bfg edition is an improvement in every way.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

as someone who even liked vanilla doom 3, the bfg edition is an improvement in every way.

It really is. The improved movement speed makes the game a bit more enjoyable.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of Doom 3, but I'll never say that it was a bad game. Just wasn't what I wanted but yes, BFG edition is miles better in my opinion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have yet to play Doom 3 whatsoever.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Goddammit I grabbed the wrong quake source port. Quakespasm instead of Darkplaces.:downsgun:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Doom 3, but I'll never say that it was a bad game. Just wasn't what I wanted but yes, BFG edition is miles better in my opinion.

My problems with it weren't that it was trying for an action/horror blend, but more that it was really weirdly paced. They did most of their cool setpieces in the first quarter, practically forgot about the cool SATANVISION(tm) freakouts early on, and some enemy types barely got a look-in. I'd be surprised if there were a dozen pinky demons in the entire campaign.

It had its moments, but generally speaking, I just didn't think it flowed well. Not many think the same, but I reckon Quake 4 did most of what Doom 3 was shooting for, and better.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Goddammit I grabbed the wrong quake source port. Quakespasm instead of Darkplaces.:downsgun:

imo that's the right quake port

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Segmentation Fault posted:

imo that's the right quake port

I use quakespasm and it works perfectly, even with the quake injector i posted earlier.

Goddamn scourge of armagon is great. Some really good level design in here. The teleporter with lightning-pentagram at the end of episode 1 was particularly inspired.

It's obvious how much the level designers loved the newfangled ability of rotating brushes. The lost mine was great for that.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dominic White posted:

It had its moments, but generally speaking, I just didn't think it flowed well. Not many think the same, but I reckon Quake 4 did most of what Doom 3 was shooting for, and better.

If you take out the turret sections out of Q4, you pretty much end up with what Doom3 should have been. A cool fun shooter with cool set pieces.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

If you want to see it running in action on a real Game.Com, these videos both have gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vofetLQWvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMs0Yl_aJI

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Aw, I liked the emulated version better. DDDAAAAMMMNNN IIIIIMMMM GGGGGGOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you want to see it running in action on a real Game.Com, these videos both have gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vofetLQWvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMs0Yl_aJI
It looks like a cheesy Duke Nukem 3D mod for Wolfenstein 3D.

That's not necessarily a bad thing! :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

david_a posted:

Aw, I liked the emulated version better. DDDAAAAMMMNNN IIIIIMMMM GGGGGGOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD

Here's a fun fact though: that emulator that was used? That's part of the official devkit for the Game.com that all the games used. Tiger was some real sloppy work.

Bread Pudding posted:

It's honestly like, the only decent game on there besides half of the cartridge that's an arcade game collection, and the built in Solitaire.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

Yeah, the only thing that bugged me about BFGE is that they seemed to have nerfed the lighting engine. Enemies and physics objects no longer formed shadows.

Granted, I played the 360 version. PC version probably didn't have that issue.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Awesome I grabbed the correct quake source port. Quakespasm instead of Darkplaces.:grin:
Speaking as somebody who used to use Darkplaces, this is a more accurate reaction.

You do lose out on the fancy lighting effects, but that's more than made up for by the fact Quakespasm can run mods that use a very high number of brushes correctly, without causing level geometry to vanish, or that func_mapjam3 doesn't wind up spawning gibs that never despawn or even move away from the spawner so you wind up with an engine-killing number of giblets in the same place making obnoxious noises and dragging the framerate down to the single digits even on high-end graphics cards and yes this annoyed me in the past how could you tell.

Bread Pudding posted:

So it's Duke Nukem 3D on the Genesis, then.

(Even as a big Sega Genesis fan, I can barely stomach that game. Everything looks the same...)

The Kins posted:

[insert long post about GBA FPSes here]
There's also no less than two Ecks vs. Sever games, as I recall. Apparently the first was received rather well. According to Wikipedia (I know, I know, bastion of reliable information, particularly since the following lacks citations), the sequel was somehow regarded as even better while scoring worse.

Both are miles above the film.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

There's also no less than two Ecks vs. Sever games, as I recall. Apparently the first was received rather well. According to Wikipedia (I know, I know, bastion of reliable information, particularly since the following lacks citations), the sequel was somehow regarded as even better while scoring worse.

That is because, if I remember right, at least the first game is based on an entirely different, earlier, revision of the film's script that would also have been a better movie. Don't remember if the second game also followed on like that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, that's an accomplishment.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, the only thing that bugged me about BFGE is that they seemed to have nerfed the lighting engine. Enemies and physics objects no longer formed shadows.

Carmack accidentally wrote an algorithm for generating stencil shadows that was already patented by Creative.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carmack accidentally wrote an algorithm for generating stencil shadows that was already patented by Creative.

Software patents are so loving stupid.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Kins posted:

GBA Shooters

I played both Doom games, and I think the original is much better then the second one. The controls are better, the framerate is smoother, and the graphics are clearer. The graphics in Doom 2 have more pixelation, the framerate has some issues at times, and the controls are kinda stiff. It was nice that the developers tried to stick to the original level designs for Doom 2, but it was clearly too much for the GBA at times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

The "Carmack's Reverse" technique was replaced in the source code release and BFG Edition with a less optimized means of doing much the same thing. The lack of shadows casting from your flashlight was apparently a deliberate change because Carmack thought it looked ugly. I think they added an option to turn it back on in a patch?

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

So it's Duke Nukem 3D on the Genesis, then.

(Even as a big Sega Genesis fan, I can barely stomach that game. Everything looks the same...)
Oh TecToy, you crazy bastards. :allears:

I'd known about their Street Fighter 2 port for the Sega Master System (done by what I can only imagine were acolytes of the elder gods and/or dark sorcerers), but not this. This is amazing.

Probably only released in Brazil just like their street fighting atrocity.

Unrelated early FPS note : pistol-starting the default Heretic map set is a nightmare, do not do it. Doom always starts you off near a shotgun or chaingun. Hexen has the decency to give you a good first weapon and drops a mana weapon one or two maps into a hub, at worst. Heretic loves that goddamn elven wand and you better love it, too, because even E1 maps will start you halfway across the map from a crossbow, dragon claw or - worst case scenario - the stupid gloves.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bread Pudding posted:

Oh TecToy, you crazy bastards. :allears:

I'd known about their Street Fighter 2 port for the Sega Master System (done by what I can only imagine were acolytes of the elder gods and/or dark sorcerers), but not this. This is amazing.

Probably only released in Brazil just like their street fighting atrocity.

The weird thing is that the SMS SF2 port is really technically impressive. Probably one of the best 8 bit fighting games ever released. Ditto for Duke3D Genesis, it uses the most advanced raycaster engine ever made for the system.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 26, 2015

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Does anyone have any experience getting Doom to run on a Chromebook running a Linux distro via crouton? I haven't been able to find much literature on the subject myself. Hopefully I'd be able to use a relatively modern source port as opposed to DOSBox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

apophenium posted:

Does anyone have any experience getting Doom to run on a Chromebook running a Linux distro via crouton? I haven't been able to find much literature on the subject myself. Hopefully I'd be able to use a relatively modern source port as opposed to DOSBox.

What Linux distro are you using? There should be DOOM source port packages in the repositiories, often coming with the shareware IWAD to play immediately.