Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Has anyone played with that new BMW ABS system that also stops the bike standing up if you brake hard mid-corner? That seems like the next stage of ABS systems (well that and the "lift mitigation" that Aprilia have put into APRC that makes backing the bike in GP-style a piece of piss)

I thought only the HP4 had the cornering ABS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Can you wrench on ABS brakes yourself? That'd be my only reason not to own a bike with them.
The only ABS system I've seen or heard of which causes issues with maintenance (aside from maintenance on failing ABS components itself) is the iABS BMW system which they only used for a few years a while ago anyway. All normal systems are very straightforward and at worst they just add another bleed screw to the brake lines.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Depending on how close you are to Kitchener, also try dropping by Zdeno http://zdenocycle.ca they have lots of misc. stuff lying around.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Chris Knight posted:

Depending on how close you are to Kitchener, also try dropping by Zdeno http://zdenocycle.ca they have lots of misc. stuff lying around.

Oh wow! I'm in Hamilton, and I work about halfway there. Definitely will check them out! :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I thought only the HP4 had the cornering ABS.

I was sure they were making it an option on the range? I've certainly seen vids demonstrating it on one of the big adventure bikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ola posted:

I was toying with the idea of importing an F800GS from Italy, many of those are without ABS. Don't know why, but apparently it's an option in that market.

Shouldn't anything that purports to be for going off road have an option to turn ABS off?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Shouldn't anything that purports to be for going off road have an option to turn ABS off?

The F800GS (and R1200) does have a button that does that, I am talking about selecting "ABS delete" in the options sheet when you buy the bike.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I bought my 2000 DRZ400S earlier this spring, and it came with an aftermarket FCR carb already installed on it. It runs just fine, but there are a couple things that are bothering me.

1. I'm hitting reserve every 50-53 miles, so I'm averaging around 30 miles per gallon. Where should I start looking to improve that? Here's a video where you can listen to it idle/return to idle after I gas it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSUibnuegzQ I don't think it's too rich. I don't think I'm riding that aggressively, either.

2. I like my bikes as quiet as possible. I haven't opened it up, but I'm pretty sure the baffling has been removed from the stock muffler. How hard is it to repack myself? Could that be contributing to the gas situation?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

The F800GS (and R1200) does have a button that does that, I am talking about selecting "ABS delete" in the options sheet when you buy the bike.

Why?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
There are car folks that are convinced they can manipulate the brakes better than ABS can. I am betting there are bike folks that think the same thing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good to know about the wrenching! I must have misread something and come to the conclusion that you can only do it with dealer tools or whatever.

The option to turn it off would be good though, at least for the rear. I enjoy sliding around way more than I probably should. :madmax:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nitrogen posted:

There are car folks that are convinced they can manipulate the brakes better than ABS can. I am betting there are bike folks that think the same thing.

For off-road you don't want abs because it feels your wheel slipping in, for example, pea gravel and then says "best turn the brake off before we go down" and then you do indeed go down, into the ravine you'd been hoping to avoid by way of braking.

Ola posted:

For the weight?

Dutymode - $100 or less for a new one on eBay, it looks like. Someone selling a DRZ400e muffler for $25.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know why people chose to get bikes without ABS, I just discovered it researching used bikes in Italy. I am guessing the bike is cheaper without it and it's justified with it being complicated to service, it'll break, don't need it, etc. Makes it trickier to browse for bikes as I would not want to buy one without it.

With EUR getting more expensive in NOK and the Norwegian bikes coming out of warranty and dropping in value, there is no longer any advantage to importing those anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

Yeah I get that but they're wanting to import a bike from another country to avoid having ABS on a bike that they know has a "disengage ABS" button.

builds character posted:

For the weight?

Even the most ridiculously overengineered ABS system only weighs an extra 2 or 3 kilos, you can shave that kind of weight with ExLax.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I get that but they're wanting to import a bike from another country to avoid having ABS on a bike that they know has a "disengage ABS" button.

I don't think you have been reading slowly enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why are people getting hung-up about wanting an ABS off button? Just pull out the ABS fuse. And if you want the convenience of a button, just wire an extra circuit where the fuse used to be and hook it up to a button strapped to your handlebar.

I'd rather buy a bike with abs, for the safety and resale value and whatever, then just disable it myself. It isn't hard.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Why are people getting hung-up about wanting an ABS off button? Just pull out the ABS fuse. And if you want the convenience of a button, just wire an extra circuit where the fuse used to be and hook it up to a button strapped to your handlebar.

hahahahaa

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems reasonable. If you're so hard-core that you don't want abs, or you have a specific purpose in mind, just take the fuse out instead of clamouring for an abs-free model.

People are strange and I Don't Get It.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Newbie routine maintenance/stupid question: how often do I need to oil my chain?

I've googled this, and I see everything from "little but often", "before/after every ride", "150 miles", "250 miles", and "you'll know when." I've also seen "once a week" and "twice a week" and everything in between. I ride my motorcycle almost everyday, probably putting anywhere from 100 to 200 km on it a week. It has a chain cover the covers the chain and sprockets completely. What's the best practice/rule of thumb?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Newbie routine maintenance/stupid question: how often do I need to oil my chain?

I've googled this, and I see everything from "little but often", "before/after every ride", "150 miles", "250 miles", and "you'll know when." I've also seen "once a week" and "twice a week" and everything in between. I ride my motorcycle almost everyday, probably putting anywhere from 100 to 200 km on it a week. It has a chain cover the covers the chain and sprockets completely. What's the best practice/rule of thumb?

I ride my motorcycle every day, I put 60km on it a day and I lube the chain every fortnight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
KTMs new off-road abs on the 1x90 adventure out brakes a Baja 1000 winner on the dirt by about 30% consistently.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I lube the chain on my DRZ 400 about once every whenever-i-remember-to-do-it. I generally cover 200km a week, ends up being a lube once a month. I should probably do it more often but my last chain and sprocket set lasted 20 000km.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Depends on what you lube it with. If you use sticky lubes you only need to lube it every three-four weeks or something like that, but you probably have to clean a lot of crud off first. If you use motor oil you have to do it more often but it will have less dirt stuck to it, so you basically just have to reapply oil and go.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Seems reasonable. If you're so hard-core that you don't want abs, or you have a specific purpose in mind, just take the fuse out instead of clamouring for an abs-free model.

People are strange and I Don't Get It.

The folks this guy is making fun of want to buy a bike that they can take off road. They want the idea that they will change a tire in Mongolia or replace their blinker fluid in Baja. They do not want to actually use a wrench. They have responsibilities Slavvy. God, why can't you understand that? There are families at stake here!

Z3n posted:

KTMs new off-road abs on the 1x90 adventure out brakes a Baja 1000 winner on the dirt by about 30% consistently.

This is good, but they'll need to market it as ADVENTUREBS if they want to avoid the problem above.

YF19pilot posted:

Obviously the only option is to buy one of these. http://www.scottoiler.com/us/

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

The folks this guy is making fun of want to buy a bike that they can take off road. They want the idea that they will change a tire in Mongolia or replace their blinker fluid in Baja. They do not want to actually use a wrench. They have responsibilities Slavvy. God, why can't you understand that? There are families at stake here!

Excellent.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Confirmed, would buy a bike that has this on the side.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wait do people really think ABS turns your brakes off? :psyduck:

YF19pilot posted:

I degrease, scrub, and relube my chain every 500-600 miles and I ride it daily as a commuter biek.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 28, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I think I do it like every 500. But my first bike was a shaft drive so it really annoys me that I have to do it at all. I want to get a Scottoiler but I'm also too cheap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

I understand.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

YF19pilot posted:

My bandit 1250 manual says to clean and lube every 600 miles, so do that?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I just do it on the weekends if I get around to it. Other than that IDGAF.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KARMA! posted:

Usually it's pretty safe to go by the book, yeah.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

On the other hand, on the RC390 everyone is getting shorter distances with the ABS turned off.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KARMA! posted:

I'm really surprised the bandit 1250 manual calls for ~4000 mile (6000km) oil changes, although they don't mention using synth oil. That seems like often for such an under stressed engine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a common sump engine so the gearbox shears up the oil pretty good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

It's a common sump engine so the gearbox shears up the oil pretty good.

Isn't that the case with most/all modern bike engines?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, and the clutch is also oil bathed. 4000 miles seems like a long interval to me, but I'm from the Hank Hill school of oil changes: 3000 miles, or when I get bored. Whichever comes first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

Yup, and the clutch is also oil bathed. 4000 miles seems like a long interval to me, but I'm from the Hank Hill school of oil changes: 3000 miles, or when I get bored. Whichever comes first.

Gonna blow your mind and tell you my bike has 12.5k mile oil change intervals, and the oil looks fine when it comes out - the only real difference is the clutch is slightly less snatchy with fresh oil in and even that is a really marginal difference.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't that the case with most/all modern bike engines?

Most, yes. BMW switched their wasserboxer to a common sump recently after having separate gearbox and crankcase oils in the Rs forever. Most Harleys have 3 holes.

I was just pointing out why it seems so short. But I also subscribe to the Hank Hill oil change philosophy and I wouldn't even go 4000 miles. Aren't oil change intervals based on absolutely babying the bike in the most ideal conditions possible? I know my manual says it's a 5000 interval, less if used in harsh conditions. I'm pretty sure "starting from a stop" counts as harsh condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna blow your mind and tell you my bike has 12.5k mile oil change intervals, and the oil looks fine when it comes out - the only real difference is the clutch is slightly less snatchy with fresh oil in and even that is a really marginal difference.

Mind indeed blown. What is it? And does the manufacturer list it as 'Lifetime Lubricant,' like the car makes did with their 100k-mile ATF?