Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
Well I got 3rd in Balls of Steel; that was pretty fun.

So out of the three isaac BoS tournaments, I got:
1st place in the 1st one
2nd place in the 2nd one
3rd place in the 3rd one
sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

Well I got 3rd in Balls of Steel; that was pretty fun.

So out of the three isaac BoS tournaments, I got:
1st place in the 1st one
2nd place in the 2nd one
3rd place in the 3rd one
sweet.

I caught the end. Good job. I remember you saying Probs would be your toughest competitor and that was the case. Hopefully the next tournament you can jump back up to first again!

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You're right, implying that it was objectively bad was wrong of me. I do definitely think it's pointless though personally. I just think that if the way to make it reasonable is to mod the game, then the game is not made to be speed ran (speed runned?). This is why I think the scoring system is a good thing, because it's a competitive alternative to speed running that is applicable to this game without anything having to be changed.
You don't have to mod the game to make it reasonable to race. A large majority of my races have been no-bans, no-mods because I think it's more fun that way, and that's getting up near 2000 races if you include the original game. You just need to go at it with the right mindset: a single race is not going to tell you who is better. If you look at results over time, a better player is going to win more often. Sometimes one player will get an instant knife, oh well, move on and play again.

I do agree that speedrunning for a single good time is kind of boring, (as opposed to racing with an opponent) but some people still do like it, so, good for them. different strokes.

Sanctum posted:

Enjoy having your tears constantly clipping into walls/rocks and hitting nothing. The dmg/tears up is more than offset by how much you miss as a result.

Guillotine does like the same contact damage as big fan, i.e. not much. Attack fly/distant admiration/cube of meat are great damage dealers. I hate guillotine.

Nah, the guillotine orbital does 7 damage per hit, same as cube of meat. Big fan does 2. If you're missing a lot and getting hit a lot with guillotine, it means you aren't good with the item, not that the item isn't good :). When you're good with it, it's a great item, and you don't need any particular synergies.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That second run was intense Hyphen-ated. Also the finals :stare:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Speaking of terrible items, experimental treatment can't get enough hate. Even with terrible stats at the start of an eden runs it somehow still makes me worse. So I have libra and decided to pick up experimental treatment. All my stats are balanced, what could go wrong? Lowered my damage, gained health. :doh:

Hyphen-ated posted:

Nah, the guillotine orbital does 7 damage per hit, same as cube of meat. Big fan does 2. If you're missing a lot and getting hit a lot with guillotine, it means you aren't good with the item, not that the item isn't good :). When you're good with it, it's a great item, and you don't need any particular synergies.
Okay dude, with enough playerskill the mechanical difficulty of aiming tears consistently from a head moving around your body is totally irrelevant. :)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

omeg posted:

That second run was intense Hyphen-ated. Also the finals :stare:

Yeah, I thought I had the second one for sure, but nope!

Also it's crazy that punny won the whole thing without losing a single game, even though it was best 2 out of 3.

Sanctum posted:

Okay dude, with enough playerskill the mechanical difficulty of aiming tears consistently from a head moving around your body is totally irrelevant. :)

That is probably true, but I don't know anyone with enough skill to make the downsides actually irrelevant! though there are lots of players good enough for the upside to strongly outweigh the downside

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Cursed eye is good with mutant spider or inner eye. You fire off a huge salvo that really ups your dps..

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Speaking of terrible items, experimental treatment can't get enough hate. Even with terrible stats at the start of an eden runs it somehow still makes me worse. So I have libra and decided to pick up experimental treatment. All my stats are balanced, what could go wrong? Lowered my damage, gained health. :doh:

Well, use the extra health to pick up brimstone from the next devil room. :shepface:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cursed eye is the worst. I picked it up on the first floor and thought I'd just restart. Then I found pyromaniac and IPEC. Infinite health but if you take damage you can restart the room. Argh.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Ipecac is not an acronym.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, use the extra health to pick up brimstone from the next devil room. :shepface:

I think the only time I have ever seen Brimstone in my paltry 40 hours with this game was a blindfolded challenge.

At least it also offered me Lil Brimstone.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, finally beat Satan and Isaac with the Lost (on Hard) and the game didn't give me the trophy for either.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Finally beat The Lamb for the first time ever with Eve, got Spoonbender moms knife. Which at the same time was amazing and baffling. Sometimes the knife would home right to the dude who was on my tail and sometimes it went halfway across the room and just missed this random spider in the corner.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Ugh, finally beat Satan and Isaac with the Lost (on Hard) and the game didn't give me the trophy for either.

Are you on PS4? I get this sometimes and as far as I can tell it's if I exit a run, upload my save to the cloud, then continue. The only fix I have is to upload the save, delete the local copy, then download the save again. When you do that, missing trophies will pop.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shmee posted:

Are you on PS4? I get this sometimes and as far as I can tell it's if I exit a run, upload my save to the cloud, then continue. The only fix I have is to upload the save, delete the local copy, then download the save again. When you do that, missing trophies will pop.

Okay I will do this.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I've seen some bullshit, but this takes the cake:

Not like I used my last bomb either, just haven't had a single bomb drop.

e: First room next floor :suicide:

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 29, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sanctum posted:

I've seen some bullshit, but this takes the cake:

Not like I used my last bomb either, just haven't had a single bomb drop.

e: First room next floor :suicide:

You could have used your pill (or dropped it and picked it back up) to get by, you can't pick things up while Isaac is holding his hands above his head to use/pick up an item. Still sucks though.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Hey, at least it's not WOTL where the polaroid is a trinket and that situation ends your run

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Huh. If you use Credit Card on a shop with a red heart for sale, Dark Bum will just sit on top of the red heart and not pick it up.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
This week's Afterbirth update: horrible claustrophobia!

And a change to the way the 3-Dollar Bill works - it will change modes every few seconds instead of every room. Also there's this.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Those are amazing room for Ipecac/fetus/BBF etc :rolleyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aww the secret link in this post leads to a picture of Guppy. RIP little gup :smith:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

omeg posted:

Those are amazing room for Ipecac/fetus/BBF etc :rolleyes:

Just wait for the double Gurdy Jr. closets. :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Those tiny rooms are awesome and I can't wait for there to be a challenge that has nothing but those.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I just picked up the Super Bandage, which was the last item I needed for Real Platinum God, and it didn't count :psyduck:

it's not in my item collection at all; I wasn't playing using a seed and it wasn't a challenge, so I don't get it

Hah, I'm actually a total idiot and somehow never picked up the Blue Candle. Got RPG but the trophy never proc'd so I have to do that dumb work around. If it ain't one thing, it's another. But at least I finally did it!

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Strangely, the last item I needed for RPG was the Challenge Belt. I saw it loads of times, but thought I'd already picked it up and never bothered with it for some reason.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Gromit posted:

Strangely, the last item I needed for RPG was the Challenge Belt. I saw it loads of times, but thought I'd already picked it up and never bothered with it for some reason.

Should always be picking that one up! +1 damage for 15 cents is totally worth it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

IMJack posted:

And a change to the way the 3-Dollar Bill works - it will change modes every few seconds instead of every room. Also there's this.

Man, I'm working on The Lost runs now, and seeing this makes me think that the there's no way I'm going to even try to RPG Afterbirth.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gromit posted:

The first time I did it, it was the boomerang. Picked it up on a challenge run and saw how bad it was and never touched it again.

Third time was Scissors because I hadn't unlocked them yet, felt pretty good about that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

Should always be picking that one up! +1 damage for 15 cents is totally worth it.

Plus it makes rare enemies, so you can get more pickups from defeating them. So any challenge they add is usually outweighed by the fact that you'll get more hearts/keys/bombs.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Here's a fun normal seed: GXRT S8EC

The 1st floor goes:
-Pyro in treasure room
-Shielded tears in secret room
-Guppy's paw in curse room
-Gemini in crawl space
-Wire coat hanger from boss

I forget if Eden items are seeded but I started with a cube of meat which is rad.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

cryptoclastic posted:

Exactly. I never pass it up now, which is why it was so weird it was my last item.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

The last updates have really soured me on the expansion, along with Ed's statement that The Lost is perfect and Fun™. All this RNG bullshit doesn't appeal to me at all, I just don't think it's fun to be screwed over "just because". :( With just a few changes the game could really be about skill, where you could win a run even with base stats and no items (tedious as it might be), but it seems he'd rather take it in the direction of The Lost where you can lose purely due to RNG. Didn't get flight or a speed up? Have an unwinnable hallway of death.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
The real womb room of flightless doom is this one:

Also if you have flight:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
You do have a point though. I've been playing the wheel of death to see how long a streak I can get (no azazel or maggy because they are both boring) and the curses really kill the fun when you are aiming for consistent wins.

Any time I play Eve the plan is always find a spirit heart, get into whore of babylon, and then never get hit. I absolutely cannot afford to lose whore of babylon state until I get something good going. So anytime I get Curse of the Blind I cannot take items unless I happen to have IV bag/guppy's paw/some other way of removing red hearts while keeping spirit hearts. Skipping items is a boring way to play, but I kinda have to with eve.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I feel like Ed doesn't really get what makes the game fun. He's added fun things to it, but his design process feels more like he's angry that people can get 100 streaks in his game, and less like he's trying to build a fun and balanced game that's hard and random.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mystery Machine posted:

I feel like Ed doesn't really get what makes the game fun. He's added fun things to it, but his design process feels more like he's angry that people can get 100 streaks in his game, and less like he's trying to build a fun and balanced game that's hard and random.

Dude's favorite character is The Lost, of course he doesn't loving get what makes the game fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Looking at those new Womb rooms, I think that I'm just going to play Azazel forever now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
BoI has always been a relatively good game in spite of itself. It's just getting more... spiteful the more McMillen works on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm the only one who thinks those rooms look fun/interesting. I just didn't like that he said they're only going to be as rare as the 4x4 rooms. I was hoping they'd be more rare than that. (I also wonder how they'll work with the rest of the map, seeing as they won't be able to connect at all 4 sides, but I wonder how they'll render on the minimap).