Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Atleast since LF was made leftist got really weird about spreading specific narratives about ongoing events. If you see nearly every single leftist outlet repeating not only specific narratives, but snappy catchphrases and an ultimate conclusive tone about things. It's very obvious some weird collusion is going on. either that or internet leftys really like repeating poo poo in mass in the same exact way everywhere. I guess It's important for me to bring up that I was somewhat radicalized in my youth over the incredibly ridiculous propaganda push to convince the US public to go to war with iraq. I had deep suspicions within the first month that the administration was pushing alot of bullshit. it became more and more obvious over time, all the way leading up to them revealing that spy that was in active duty because they or someone they knew kept calling the news to tell them their evidence was poo poo. When we actually pushed into doing it, the opinion polls came out showing most people believed the bullshit, and then bush getting elected in 2004. I legit wanted to blow up something bad. Thankfully I was a kid and didnt have any power but it made me lose complete faith in other peoples ability to smell bullshit, and made me feel like I have some extra special ability to pick up on obvious media manipulation. I have no faith in others ability to not be brainwashed and manipulated, so when I sense manipulative narratives being pushed I feel a strong disdain and fear that others will be legit manipulated into believing it.

Oh gently caress, are you Caro 2.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Doomsday Jesus posted:

What the gently caress are you on about? Swallow too many Aqua Dots?

Nope, high on plasticized sand.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Neurolimal posted:

IDK, it seems like there's plenty of good to be had here; plenty of hellthread dudes have shown up and been civilly argued with, a few aren't as hostile to feminist stuff anymore (or just aren't as likely to participate in tribalism), derails have been short and well-meaning, and sooner or later we might finally get a description of what Gamergate is about!

gamer gate is about Streisand effect. Thats all there is to it really.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

afeelgoodpoop posted:

internet leftys really like repeating poo poo in mass in the same exact way everywhere.
This is extremely common and nothing new. This attitude in the press has caused an insane level of bad poo poo to happen in criminal matters all the time (see the Satanic Sex panic, the Central Park 5, ect)

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Atleast since LF was made leftist got really weird about spreading specific narratives about ongoing events. If you see nearly every single leftist outlet repeating not only specific narratives, but snappy catchphrases and an ultimate conclusive tone about things. It's very obvious some weird collusion is going on. either that or internet leftys really like repeating poo poo in mass in the same exact way everywhere. I guess It's important for me to bring up that I was somewhat radicalized in my youth over the incredibly ridiculous propaganda push to convince the US public to go to war with iraq. I had deep suspicions within the first month that the administration was pushing alot of bullshit. it became more and more obvious over time, all the way leading up to them revealing that spy that was in active duty because they or someone they knew kept calling the news to tell them their evidence was poo poo. When we actually pushed into doing it, the opinion polls came out showing most people believed the bullshit, and then bush getting elected in 2004. I legit wanted to blow up something bad. Thankfully I was a kid and didnt have any power but it made me lose complete faith in other peoples ability to smell bullshit, and made me feel like I have some extra special ability to pick up on obvious media manipulation. I have no faith in others ability to not be brainwashed and manipulated, so when I sense manipulative narratives being pushed I feel a strong disdain and fear that others will be legit manipulated into believing it.

In all seriousness, it sounds like you have some personal issues regarding conspiratorial thinking and your own perceived superiority you should work through.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
IMO GGers are most likely hiding things because they lie about everything and insist that anonymity gives GamerGate an advantage even when it keeps it from having any goals or purpose.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

Clear question: if you didn't think that the feminists involved were being deceitful, would you still be opposed to their views?

If your answer is yes, have you considered the possibility that that view may colour your attitudes to the whole issue?

yes and no, feminist have an opinion on everything and not all of them agree. I do dismiss people I agree with if they are deceitful though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

In all seriousness, it sounds like you have some personal issues regarding conspiratorial thinking and your own perceived superiority you should work through.

to be fair, he may actually be an unsung genius who really does have a superior ability to detect the creeping feminist threat. i wouldn't discount that possibility offhand. both sides do make death threats

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Zeitgueist posted:

Nope, high on plasticized sand.

Would that be an excuse for someone downloading artistic nudism?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

afeelgoodpoop posted:

The thing about the internet is that poo poo's different- people tend to get their opinions in echo chambers because you can pretty much tailor your internet experience to what you want. It's why internet slapfights sound so weird compared to even normal people having political arguments. In real life you have to hang out with rando people who aren't into the same things as you all the time, but on the internet you can immerse yourself in a communtiy entirely like yourself.

Everybody thought people would use the internet to broaden their horizons, but at least in terms of political discussion, exactly the opposite happens. You come with preconceived notions and find somebody willing to say "yeah, whatever you think, that's okay".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

afeelgoodpoop posted:

It's very obvious some weird collusion is going on.

No, that's just how human communication works.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

NutritiousSnack posted:

Saying yes blankly is just as dumb though, it depends on their argument. Like I'd totally say the Hitman commercials widely hated by the press was sexist as hell and they made good arguments towards this but nearly every criticism against The Witcher 3 seems just stupid and frankly culturally imperialist as hell and I'm not GamerGate or whatever.

TW3 argument is more complicated but it's also an example of how groups like gamergate are toxic to discussion since it's impossible to talk about it becoming the dominant topic of conversation.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Belief in conspiracies is natural, but also a lazy and immature way out of thinking about the world. You turn everything in to a pattern because it's easy for you to digest, instead of realising that the world is fundamentally much more chaotic and difficult to understand than you'd like it to be. But understanding that there isn't some enormous conspiracy behind everything is an important part of growing up and realising that the world is complicated, rather than ordered behind the scenes.

Posting like this makes you sound borderline mentally ill or like you're sixteen, or both.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Would that be an excuse for someone downloading artistic nudism?

holy cow you guys take your videogames seriously

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Not as seriously as I take people who knowingly download artistic nudes using the same user name in multiple, visible places.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why do you believe you have a heightened ability to see through manipulation and propaganda? where did you acquire this skill? are you naturally just more intelligent and perceptive than the vast majority of humanity?

i have always had a peculiar temperament. My parents, teachers talked about how oddly adult I was at reading emotions. I did get a run with a therapist that eventually said I was highly sensitive with high frustration tolerance, generally sensitive people pick up details and cues better than non sensitive people.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What else should we take seriously? Pedophilia? I've heard that both Gamergate and anti-Gamergate harbors pedophilia. What should be done about that?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeitgueist posted:

Video games are love, video games are life.

Brannock posted:

What else should we take seriously? Pedophilia? I've heard that both Gamergate and anti-Gamergate harbors pedophilia. What should be done about that?

Burn them all at the stake.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

If you see nearly every single leftist outlet repeating not only specific narratives, but snappy catchphrases and an ultimate conclusive tone about things. It's very obvious some weird collusion is going on. either that or internet leftys really like repeating poo poo in mass in the same exact way everywhere.

Are you trying to describe memes?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brannock posted:

Name the pedos and shame them?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Brannock posted:

I can tell you one thing we can do and it isn't protect them in an online forum for explicit selfish entertainment purposes. I paid $10 to join this forum and I feel like proven pedos shouldn't be allowed to hide behind a username or $10.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

Both sides want to accomplish this task by ensuring there are no more children, but in different ways. Anti-gamergate wants to Kill All Men, while Gamergate wants a world of nothing but sexless, joyless virgins.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does harboring pedophiles reflect poorly upon a movement? Gamergate tolerates pedophilic content at 8chan I've heard. For obvious reasons I'm loath to go and confirm that for myself. If factual, should we think less of Gamergate as a result? What about anti-Gamergate that posts illegal content in an effort to try to get other websites taken down? Should society condone that?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slanderer posted:

Both sides want to accomplish this task by ensuring there are no more children, but in different ways. Anti-gamergate wants to Kill All Men, while Gamergate wants a world of nothing but sexless, joyless virgins.

I think gamergate won.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Brannock posted:

Does harboring pedophiles reflect poorly upon a movement? Gamergate tolerates pedophilic content at 8chan I've heard. For obvious reasons I'm loath to go and confirm that for myself. If factual, should we think less of Gamergate as a result? What about anti-Gamergate that posts illegal content in an effort to try to get other websites taken down? Is that condonable?

Harboring pedophiles reflects poorly on websites that charge for membership.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Harboring pedophiles reflects poorly on websites that charge for membership.

If the administrators of that website know about it, do they have an obligation to do something about it? What if they support that movement? Should a hypothetical pro-Gamegate 8chan admin eliminate pedophilic content and pedophiles from 8chan? If he doesn't, what does that say about him?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Brannock posted:

Does harboring pedophiles reflect poorly upon a movement? Gamergate tolerates pedophilic content at 8chan I've heard. For obvious reasons I'm loath to go and confirm that for myself. If factual, should we think less of Gamergate as a result? What about anti-Gamergate that posts illegal content in an effort to try to get other websites taken down? Should society condone that?

maybe gamergate tolerates that poo poo. hell thread was something different. RIP worst thread ever.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

i have always had a peculiar temperament. My parents, teachers talked about how oddly adult I was at reading emotions. I did get a run with a therapist that eventually said I was highly sensitive with high frustration tolerance, generally sensitive people pick up details and cues better than non sensitive people.
I'm serious when I say that you should probably resume therapy. Perhaps tell them about the feminist conspiracy you believe in.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Brannock posted:

If the administrators of that website know about it, do they have an obligation to do something about it? What if they support that movement? Should a hypothetical pro-Gamegate 8chan admin eliminate pedophilic content and pedophiles from 8chan? If he doesn't, what does that say about him?

You're posting in a place that knows about it and harbors them. :clint:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Brannock posted:

That he's okay with Pedophiles being associated with his website of course

It's like you can't even social implications

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

afeelgoodpoop posted:

yes and no, feminist have an opinion on everything and not all of them agree. I do dismiss people I agree with if they are deceitful though.

So you think it is worth throwing out what would otherwise be perfectly valid arguments because you have the impression one or another person may have lied? What does it say about you that you might perceive something as unjust, but allow that to continue on the basis that you dislike what you regard as dishonest?

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Your sensitivity to individuals does not ipso facto translate in to an ability to understand social movements, groups etc. For example: if we used your analysis to describe Marxists, you would have the impression Marxists are a part of some kind of 'conspiracy' since Marxists use similar languages, hold similar views, and make similar arguments. In fact they just do so because the literature they have all read has a particular style, methodology and language. There's nothing bad or wrong about that.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

TW3 argument is more complicated but it's also an example of how groups like gamergate are toxic to discussion since it's impossible to talk about it becoming the dominant topic of conversation.

Belief in conspiracies is natural, but also a lazy and immature way out of thinking about the world. You turn everything in to a pattern because it's easy for you to digest, instead of realising that the world is fundamentally much more chaotic and difficult to understand than you'd like it to be. But understanding that there isn't some enormous conspiracy behind everything is an important part of growing up and realising that the world is complicated, rather than ordered behind the scenes.

Posting like this makes you sound borderline mentally ill or like you're sixteen, or both.

Well I am a poor, and have been all my life. I've never had schooling out of high school so I'm very, very ignorant. I don't think getting weirded out about people pushing specific conclusions about events is dumb. Like I said when I first started posting today, a few posters early on said "it isn't censorship unless the government does it" but that is bullshit. EVERYONE knows its bullshit. it was started by anti ggers early on but for some reason people legitimately, all the way to the past few days in this thread felt they needed to push an empty, i can't even call it a half truth. it's like a quarter truth maybe.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

But what about Free Speech?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Well I am a poor, and have been all my life. I've never had schooling out of high school so I'm very, very ignorant. I don't think getting weirded out about people pushing specific conclusions about events is dumb. Like I said when I first started posting today, a few posters early on said "it isn't censorship unless the government does it" but that is bullshit. EVERYONE knows its bullshit. it was started by anti ggers early on but for some reason people legitimately, all the way to the past few days in this thread felt they needed to push an empty, i can't even call it a half truth. it's like a quarter truth maybe.

Your frustrations notwithstanding, you are still seeing ghosts where there aren't any. You have zero proof for what amounts only to a vague impression that there is a 'conspiracy' of some kind, when there are many other more plausible explanations, including explanations not injurious to your point of view.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Disinterested posted:

TW3 was painfully stupid and simple. It argued from the point of reference of American/Western European centric worldview and not from loving Poland. When their was push back and talk of discussion to begin with, it was treated with hostility because it was part of a deeply held political belief of the writers with the additional filter of the internet to reinforce echo chambers. Everything from Gone Home, to Anita critiques, to Fez has always been sidelined way before GG because very few want to debate or discuss these things but retreat to places they receive positive reinforcement of their world views.

That last part applies to both groups by the way. Gamer Gate would fight tooth and nail to deny anything but the most overt display of sexism, just like the others will complain about any depiction of sexuality or debate about poltical issues or use of tropes outside of a narrowing preview.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

so you're saying that you do have a superior ability to detect and see through conspiracies? and this is why you support gamergate?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 30, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

afeelgoodpoop posted:

...you know that people have being arguing about the meaning of freedom of expression for, uh, hundreds of years, right? The idea that "it's only censorship if its the goverment doing it" is not new, nor is it a fringe belief.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

So you think it is worth throwing out what would otherwise be perfectly valid arguments because you have the impression one or another person may have lied? What does it say about you that you might perceive something as unjust, but allow that to continue on the basis that you dislike what you regard as dishonest?

Moral faults spell out future actions. in gamergate, zoe quinn is someone who pushed sjw feminist politics in her indie groupie on twitter. Like most radical feminist, some of her actions were morally suspect coming from someone preaching morality. The zoe post happens and now you have someone who by their own standards should be in jail for rape. Her moral failures in her politic pushing foreshadowed her moral failure at following the standards she pushes on other people. How many other feminists pushes turned into shitfest like this? like that rape case that was being pushed by a radical feminists journalist? Their personal moral failure foreshadows their ideological impotence.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Brannock posted:

Both do and it's extremely funny and sad. Gamer Gate in the free speech way and anti Gamer Gate in a "Our key members admit to being sexually aroused by real and cartoon children, but they are on our side and the sanaticy of feminist video game critics reputations must be protected."

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

a few posters early on said "it isn't censorship unless the government does it" but that is bullshit. EVERYONE knows its bullshit. it was started by anti ggers early on but for some reason people legitimately, all the way to the past few days in this thread felt they needed to push an empty, i can't even call it a half truth. it's like a quarter truth maybe.
But this is factually untrue though. There's centuries of thought and jurisprudence about censorship that you're unaware of, and so you fall back on a conspiracy to explain instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

TW3 was painfully stupid and simple. It argued from the point of reference of American/Western European centric worldview and not from loving Poland. When their was push back and talk of discussion to begin with, it was treated with hostility because it was part of a deeply held political belief of the writers with the additional filter of the internet to reinforce echo chambers. Everything from Gone Home, to Anita critiques, to Fez has always been sidelined way before GG because very few want to debate or discuss these things but retreat to places they receive positive reinforcement of their world views.

That last part applies to both groups by the way. Gamer Gate would fight tooth and nail to deny anything but the most overt display of sexism, just like the others will complain about any depiction of sexuality or debate about poltical issues or use of tropes outside of a narrowing preview.

I believe it's more complicated than that, but it's also a stupid derail from this topic, and I stand by my assertion that that debate is toxically damaged mostly by gamergaters who want to appropriate any issue related to gaming and media they can find as the latest example of some imaginary 'PC police'.

• Locked thread