Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
My favourite thing about this thread since the USA got involved is the number of people who didn't give a poo poo about FIFA a month ago, who then appear out of the blue to say 'you're wrong, Leeds dad, because we've got RICO!' And not one of those posters has explained how or why they think RICO will convict the - so far as anyone knows - innocent man who runs the organisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Because your opinion (by your own admission) is based on willful ignorance.

Put another way, no one can stop you from posting your opinion, but you shouldn't act so personally affronted when everyone points out how wrong you are.

Okay, so rather than repeat the phrase 'you're wrong' explain why what I say is wrong. Explain to me, and everyone outside the debate forum, and even outside the states, why you are certain your (ridiculous) RICO will garner a conviction on the top dog. Consider it a challenge.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

rename leeds dad RICO-suave

rename Sepp RICO-chet cause it's all gonna bounce off him.

jyrka posted:

Sepp Blatter is not a criminal.

Also hello jyrka, it's jyrka everyboddy!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

My favourite thing about this thread since the USA got involved is the number of people who didn't give a poo poo about FIFA a month ago, who then appear out of the blue to say 'you're wrong, Leeds dad, because we've got RICO!' And not one of those posters has explained how or why they think RICO will convict the - so far as anyone knows - innocent man who runs the organisation.

Basically in the USA it works like this. RICO declares Blatter to be a minority immigrant and then the police have free reign to execute him if he sets foot anywhere close to the USA.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Hi I don't think any of us know whether Sepp Blatter will be convicted of a crime. I hope you liked my hot Sepp Blatter take.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Leeds Dad more like Leeds BAD

(This works on many levels!!1)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

That Works posted:

Basically in the USA it works like this. RICO declares Blatter to be a minority immigrant and then the police have free reign to execute him if he sets foot anywhere close to the USA.

Surely the word 'immigrant' is redundant if the preceding word is minority.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

Hi I don't think any of us know whether Sepp Blatter will be convicted of a crime. I hope you liked my hot Sepp Blatter take.

This is a poo poo opinion pal. What do you think will happen? Or do you leave all your speculation for the fanfic thread?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It doesn't matter if Blatter is innocent. If all of this happened in his organization and he's the head of the organization, that makes him responsible for it so he will be found guilty regardless.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
blatter did nothing wrong

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Daric posted:

It doesn't matter if Blatter is innocent. If all of this happened in his organization and he's the head of the organization, that makes him responsible for it so he will be found guilty regardless.

Yeah, that's basically what RICO is.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Daric posted:

This is wrong.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Daric posted:

Again, you misunderstand. What you're describing is his guilt in your country, because of this ridiculous law you invented because you couldn't convict Mafia dons by any other means. There isn't a normal, sensible country that exists which would convict a man under those circumstances, and nobody outside the states would see such a conviction as valid (wrt Blatter).

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hi everyone just popping in to say I hope Sepp Blatter dies. Well thats my post see ya

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Again, you misunderstand. What you're describing is his guilt in your country, because of this ridiculous law you invented because you couldn't convict Mafia dons by any other means. There isn't a normal, sensible country that exists which would convict a man under those circumstances, and nobody outside the states would see such a conviction as valid (wrt Blatter).

This is also wrong.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

This is also wrong.

OK... Let's not go into detail at all this isn't fan fiction.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Also that's actually 100% accurate.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Leeds Dad has a feeling about rico and by god he's gonna feel it

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Sepp Blatter made football good

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Parody Threads posted:

Leeds Dad has a feeling about rico and by god he's gonna feel it

I love the feels

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

OK... Let's not go into detail at all this isn't fan fiction.

Other countries have laws similar to RICO but people itt don't know what RICO is.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pick posted:

Yeah, that's basically what RICO is.

Not exactly. To qualify under RICO the government has to prove the person:

"through a pattern of racketeering activity or through collection of an unlawful debt to acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in or control of any enterprise which is engaged in, or the activities of which affect, interstate or foreign commerce."
18 U.S.C. section 1962(b).

When they refer to "activities" they refer to crimes listed in section 1961. Basically, if you are the boss of someone who is convicted of a qualifying crime in 1961 you are guilty under RICO.

Basically for Sepp to be found guilty they will need to prove that: one of the people charged is guilty and they acted directly in accordance with FIFA directions/or alternatively that the organization knew of those activities.

So unless those charged have no interest in protecting themselves and don't testify against Sepp by saying that he at least knew of those activities (even if he didn't actively facilitate them) Sepp is going down.

*Of course, that assumes that Sepp actually DID know about those activities, which really can't be proven until the other guys go to trial or plead out.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 1, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Other countries have laws similar to RICO but people itt don't know what RICO is.

OK. Soooooo...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The FBI have bottled this.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Pissflaps posted:

The FBI have bottled this.

it's a game of three halves apparently

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Nice bluebooking, brah

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
without blatter we'd be in an era of boredom and confusion, football became the best show on the planet all thanks to his humble efforts

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

OK. Soooooo...

Yes?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

People in this thread don't know what thing is (by which I imply I know what thing is). I'm not going to explain thing at all I'm going to just turn up and tell them how wrong they all are.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Gigi Galli posted:

rename leeds dad RICO-suave

lol

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

stickyfngrdboy posted:

People in this thread don't know what thing is (by which I imply I know what thing is). I'm not going to explain thing at all I'm going to just turn up and tell them how wrong they all are.

In other words, you're sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la la I can't hear you, but you're wrong and I won't say why because I don't have a reason"

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Shoren posted:

In other words, you're sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la la I can't hear you, but you're wrong and I won't say why because I don't have a reason"

Er, no, i was implying that the other guy was doing that.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Jesus. It just means that if the U.S. has people turn on Blatter and get RICO charges against him then he'll be avoiding setting foot in any country with an extradition treaty with America (like Canada). So yeah, he might not go to prison, but that would be for political rather than judicial reasons. But he would also find it hard to stay as head of FIFA if he can't travel to half the planet and he'd lose a huge chunk of money and assets.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Jesus.

he would also find it hard to stay as head of FIFA if he can't travel to half the planet and he'd lose a huge chunk of money and assets.

Lol, yeah. Jesus.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
people itt don't know what FIFA is. 

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

people itt don't know what FIFA is. 

In Fluo/FLJ voice:

The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA /ˈfiːfə/; English: International Federation of Association Football) is the governing body of association football (soccer), futsal and beach soccer. FIFA is responsible for the organisation of football's major international tournaments, notably the World Cup which commenced in 1930 and the Women's World Cup which commenced in 1991.

FIFA was founded in 1904 to oversee international competition among the national associations of Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Headquartered in Zürich, its membership now comprises 209 national associations. Member countries must each also be members of one of the six regional confederations into which the world is divided: Africa, Asia, Europe, North & Central America and the Caribbean, Oceania and South America.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think Sepp won't get punished because this is following the usual American superwealthy pattern. They got all the blacks and now they are letting the rich white people go.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shrapnig posted:

In Fluo/FLJ voice:

The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA /ˈfiːfə/; English: International Federation of Association Football) is the governing body of association football (soccer), futsal and beach soccer. FIFA is responsible for the organisation of football's major international tournaments, notably the World Cup which commenced in 1930 and the Women's World Cup which commenced in 1991.

FIFA was founded in 1904 to oversee international competition among the national associations of Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Headquartered in Zürich, its membership now comprises 209 national associations. Member countries must each also be members of one of the six regional confederations into which the world is divided: Africa, Asia, Europe, North & Central America and the Caribbean, Oceania and South America.

Truly their passion united the world.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Typical American Justice. He looks guilty, he must be guilty.

He doesn't look black or brown though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hes like clearly fuckin with you guys