Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AlmightyPants posted:

Is there any strategy in pubs other than wait, hang back and hope your team forms a murderball?
Play IJN destroyer/carrier and torp stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Serpentine

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

yaay posted:

I think trying to face them down with your prow and keep them inside the range of your secondary guns is the best method of dealing with them. Imo a minekaze has a much much stricter margin of error than you do in your carolina or kawachi. Of course after like a day of playing I don't know how good of a minekaze I've seen yet

Upgraded minekaze has a 4km buffer zone between detection range and maximum torpedo range. Against a lone battleship that doesn't have a scout plane it's basically invisible death.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Not like it's hard for IJN destroyers to maintain distance while not firing then just poop torps whenever reload is finished. Hell even Atago can do this to certain extent.

cheese posted:

Am I the only one who hates the after score screen? Its somehow less useful than the WoT one. I don't think you can see how much damage you did to a specific ship?
Hate it too. 'x hits to y ship' yeah thanks but did it pen and how much damage did I deal per ship?!' :argh: I swear WoWS devs never played WoT.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Chaotic Meh posted:

Oh god, yes. We were both running the improved secondary accuracy and range as well as the 'It is dangerous to approach close to this vessel' flags, which also boost range and accuracy. With also focusing the secondaries on a target (ctrl-click!), the Warspite can pretty much melt anything that happens to close to 6km. Other features on the Warspite include a decent armoured belt and positively eldritch torpedo resistance. Ironically, one of the first fast battleships makes for an excellent battlecruiser. Just close in and start removing the faces and hulls of anything silly enough to be smaller than you.
It is glorious. Speaking of, I was just in a fun match...

Aesis posted:

Also jesus Taiho already :stare:

I was just in a game with two of these - one on either side. We had a second carrier but it died pretty quick to their Taiho. This was the map with two flags and a large split island with a small channel in the middle. The other team is swamped with Atagos, and I'm in a Warspite. So, gently caress it, I have good armor, the ship's a brawler anyway, and it has decent AA. Parking right in between our Taiho and the enemy side seemed like a good place to be.

It worked beautifully. I took several torps meant for him in that narrow space (took me to about half between the lot of them and repairs, but he was totally fine) and anything that got close enough in that channel died to me or the cruiser helping. A few of their ships tried. Their planes got blown to hell, too. When it was about over I finally got up to speed and in range to shoot their Taiho and landed a citadel hit with AP for half its health plus other hits - and the one friendly torp bomber surviving enough to get off its torp popped it right in the center for the rest.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
this is a fun game we can play

Vatek posted:

Upgraded minekaze has a 4km buffer zone between detection range and maximum torpedo range. Against a lone battleship that doesn't have a scout plane it's basically invisible death.

ah.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

yaay posted:

this is a fun game we can play

We need to start calling these guys "Wehraboots"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cheese posted:

Once you have gotten a taste of what its like to have 10km torps and a 7km detection range, you won't be able to stomach US DDs.

One thing that I've found with US DD's that works sometimes - lots of people don't stop to think about the fact that US DD's mount separate launchers on each side of the ship, so if you fire two spreads at someone on an obvious attack vector, and they turn into them while you are turning away, they will often assume that you are now out of torpedo's, and completely fail to dodge the salvo from the third launcher on the other side of the ship. I've nailed some really good shots this way, including other (usually Japanese) DD's that thought they were safe to close to point blank after dodging my first salvo's.

Of course this still requires you get within range, which is why this normally works best with the assistance of islands and your target being close to them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mirrors posted:

I'm having a hard time "getting" destroyer play. I've got a Wickes, and I think I die first every game I play in and rarely kill anything. I had a game or two where I did serious work with the Sampson but just can't seem to get this even a little consistent. Is that just the nature of the beast or is there a secret I need to know?

Until tier 5, US destroyers are just kinda terrible. Your torpedo range is lower then your concealment range, so you can't surprise people. You can really do good work with your guns, if you catch IJN destroyers in the open, but other then that anyone else will murder the poo poo out of you.
The Sampson and Wickles are pretty worthless. The Clemson at least gets a lot of barrels to fling shells out of.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Those float fighter planes are actually really amazing.

Playing a carrier at t6 you can have a single one of them screw up 2-3 squadrons and make them panic and if you have multiple up from different ships its almost impossible to do any sort of damage as they will shred your planes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The Wickes can be pretty fun if you use islands to mask and then go on a full-scale suicide ride. 4*3 torp launchers with quick reloads can turn narrow areas into a hilarous clusterfuck. My personal favourite moment with it was catching two IJN DDs at the start of the match in the narrows on Big Race and torping each one with a full salvo from one side while they tried setting up their shots on me.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How anal am I for wanting the UI to have a different aesthetic? It's a real minor thing, but the game is all about the WWI and WWII-vintage ships, but the UI is all teal and sharp lines and feels like something out of a modern naval techno-thriller or some such.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

How anal am I for wanting the UI to have a different aesthetic? It's a real minor thing, but the game is all about the WWI and WWII-vintage ships, but the UI is all teal and sharp lines and feels like something out of a modern naval techno-thriller or some such.

Not as bad as having the coordinates for the minimap hug the right size of the map. You know, the corner and edge.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I want the goddamned UI to be customizable in size so I can run high pixels per inch.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Does Superintendent give you an extra flight of carrier planes?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ofaloaf posted:

srb posted:

Not as bad as having the coordinates for the minimap hug the right size of the map. You know, the corner and edge.

Thankfully, the game is somewhat customizeable with UI mods. They're in some remote places of the Internet though, so :effort:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Holy poo poo I love Destroyers! I get about 3-4 kills per game. Boost at the start, launch torps at a likely gap, profit.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Myoko getting battles vs tier 4 battleships is pretty awesome.

Mogami getting ever closer...

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Im being told the cleveland is bad now. Is this true?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Krataar posted:

HE seems to hit a little less hard, but its still a nice ship.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Krataar posted:

It is a bad tier eight. Luckily it is still misfiled as a six.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Holy poo poo, so forget about XP grind. The credit grind is real. The hull upgrade on the Aoba tier 6 cruiser is almost 1m credits :O

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There is nothing about the Tenru that isn't a steaming pile of poo poo.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The Locator posted:

It isn't a Furutaka, so it has that going for it.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The Locator posted:

You don't like floating citadels?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

cheese posted:

Holy poo poo, so forget about XP grind. The credit grind is real. The hull upgrade on the Aoba tier 6 cruiser is almost 1m credits :O
Yeah it is ridiculous. I wonder how many credits tier 9s get per game now. They barely made money before the 0.4.0 patch and often lost 50k or more credits when destroyed in a losing game. And that was before the new consumable costs and inflated module prices.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

The Locator posted:

It's a big destroyer without smoke.
Play it accordingly (avoid St Louis at all cost).

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
US DD just play differently. Use islands for cover and your speed to flank ships or ambush them as they come around a corner. Then break through enemy lines and sink their Carriers.

If you get caught in the open zig zag alter speed and pray. They are unforgiving but to me a lot of fun to play.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Don't give up on US destroyers before you try the 127mm guns on the Nicholas. They are so good that the Farragut, Mahan, Sims, Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing use them too. The Atlanta's turrets are dual mounts of them, and some high tier cruisers and battleships use them as secondaries. The destroyer guns shoot 12 rounds per minute and traverse almost instantly. Torpedoes almost become an afterthought until the Fletcher gets the 10km+ ones.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 3, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the dif between HE and AP and why should i use either and when?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Krataar posted:

Nerfed HE damage (around 350 per shell) but it can still cause fire occasionally. The main issue I have with Cleveland is that its projectile speed is insanely slow (on par with Sims/Atlanta) and trajectory arcs too much.

You can lower the arc slightly with Advanced Fire (20% range for AA and ~155 mm guns) but that involves having a 10 points commander. Also it still doesn't solve the problem of slow projectile speed.

Overall the cons of the guns make Cleveland extremely boring piece of poo poo with current game flow in which every pubbie clusters up and sit at max range, otherwise it's a good close-mid range ship as long as you avoid torps.

Also idk if there's aim assist mod now, but pubbies' accuracy have gone up extremely high compared to CBT. I'm seeing destroyers getting wrecked from 15 km by first salvo from battleships because those destroyers realized too late shells will hit.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
They really need to do something about players abusing the map edge bug.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
Botes should just stop when they touch the edge of the map. You aren't supposed to hit the border of the map anyway, so that would be a good deterrent/punishment.

The Locator posted:

WRONG. The Tenryu is quick and has torps. It is basically a destroyer with decent guns. It does die fast and is spotted more easily though, I'll give you that.

RennZero fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 3, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

RennZero posted:

Botes should just stop when they touch the edge of the map. You aren't supposed to hit the border of the map anyway, so that would be a good deterrent/punishment.

Make it like hitting another boat. You stop, and your HP starts draining until you get off it.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Fire good!

Sorry for stealing those kills from you today juche, I had to make up for some of the ones Hazdoc took from me.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Didn't realize Cleveland could penetrate Atago with AP. I encountered 2 Atago inside 8 km so decided to shoot AP instead seeing as HE would get me nowhere, got 3 citadel hits (total 9,600 damage) immediately :stare: Finished him off with the help of Atlanta and Sims while the other Atago ran instead and still managed to die to that Sims 2 minutes later.

Now I just need 1 more point for faster reload.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mans posted:

what's the dif between HE and AP and why should i use either and when?

HE goes boom on contact and does damage depending on how much armor he section you hit has. Obviously poo poo for penetration, so expect your damage heavily reduced unless you hit something virtually unarmed like a destroyer. Also does a lot of critical damage to exposed systems and can set fires easily.
AP has a penetrating cap and smaller explosive charge with a delayed fuse. It can boune entirely, cause low damage from spalling after failing to penetrate, cause a good deal of damage after penetrating, cause A SHITLOAD of damage if it penetrates the citadel* or cause low damage from overpenetrating (IE, your shells goes through before the fuse activates; this happens mostly if you hit something unarmored lke a destroyer or someones superstructure with high-calibre AP).

*The citadel is basically the most vital compartments of a ship. Engine rooms, ammo magazines, steering controls etc. These are generally deep inside the ship and heavily prioritiesed by the armor layout. A general rule for hitting the citadel is to aim low near the waterline below the gun turrets and/or smokestacks.

The short version is that you use AP if you can penetrate or score citadels and HE if you can't.

The long version is that it depends on your guns and your target:
5in and below (destroyers and the Atlanta basically) - HE all day. About the only thing you can pen with AP reliably are low-tier japanese cruisers. Other DDs are prone to get overpenned in their broadside even by this and other cuisers and any BB will just laugh at you if you try AP.
5.5in and 6in (light cruisers) - HE all day except against other cruisers at short range. If the other guy angles his belt armor, HE might still be the better choice.
8in (heavy cruisers) - AP against cruisers at any range and battleships at long range as you can pen their decks by arcing the shells downward from your long range. Some BBs can also be penned through the belt, though that is unreliable.
12in or bigger (battleships) - AP against cruisers and other battleships. If another batleship has the bow angled at short range, just wait until he reduces the angle to try and use his broadside or aim a bit higher o sned the shells into his lower superstructure and turrets. Only load HE if you're against a near-dead enemy or against a destroyer. Even then, you should fire your curent AP salvo because even overpenetration damage can lay down some serious hurt on a tincan.

Magni fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 3, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

grrarg posted:

Don't give up on US destroyers before you try the 127mm guns on the Nicholas. They are so good that the Farragut, Mahan, Sims, Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing use them too. The Atlanta's turrets are dual mounts of them, and some high tier cruisers and battleships use them as secondaries. The destroyer guns shoot 12 rounds per minute and traverse almost instantly. Torpedoes almost become an afterthought until the Fletcher gets the 10km+ ones.

I feel this makes them kinda weak, you are a slightly faster but way more fragile cruiser that hardly ever manages to use his torps outside of island ambushes. Sure could do with some adjustments to make it more fun, maybe more HP for the engine/rudder since having either killed with repair on cooldown is a death sentence.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tahirovic posted:

I feel this makes them kinda weak, you are a slightly faster but way more fragile cruiser that hardly ever manages to use his torps outside of island ambushes. Sure could do with some adjustments to make it more fun, maybe more HP for the engine/rudder since having either killed with repair on cooldown is a death sentence.

If you have to pop repair, book it until you're safe again. You're a DD, you can do that. If you do get your engine taken out again, pop smoke and try to wait it out. If you don't have smoke... well, there's this thing I said about making serious mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

grrarg posted:

I got one-shot by a single shell from a Nicholas while playing as a Gremyaschy... :stonk: