Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

... I hate that stupid duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

KillerJunglist posted:

... I hate that stupid duck.

I wonder where Tinsley stands on explicit content labeling which is NOTHING like these laughable trigger warnings.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

This joke is about two years out of date.

I still can't understand why any editor would tolerate a two-week lag on the topicality of a political cartoon. Nobody else needs this much lead time. Is it that "80 hours of research" thing?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

bitey posted:

This joke is about two years out of date.

I still can't understand why any editor would tolerate a two-week lag on the topicality of a political cartoon. Nobody else needs this much lead time. Is it that "80 hours of research" thing?

It's because he's in the funnies and not the editorial page, and they have a different schedule.

Edit: Also, are the Gay Abortions currently accepting nominations? That one deserves "laziest."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've said it before - Tinsley makes me more mad than any other cartoonist. Mallard Filmore is the loving worst.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jurgan posted:

It's because he's in the funnies and not the editorial page, and they have a different schedule.

Edit: Also, are the Gay Abortions currently accepting nominations? That one deserves "laziest."

Save it for the end of year one

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has he had "trigger warning" in the last three cartoons or so?

Let's count, children!

One lazy cartoon, ah! ah! ah!

Two lazy cartoons, ah! ah! ah!

Three lazy cartoons, ah! ah! ah!

Four lazy cartoons, ah! ah! ah!

Five! Five lazy cartoons from Drunky Duck, ah! ah! ah! :tinsley:

Edit: But no, seriously, what the gently caress is up with Tinsley? He gets a bug up his butt about one thing, be it a weird fish, Hilary's southern accent, dinosaurs, trigger warnings, and he churns out half a dozen cartoons about it. Why?

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 4, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Captain Bravo posted:

Edit: But no, seriously, what the gently caress is up with Tinsley? He gets a bug up his butt about one thing, be it a weird fish, Hilary's southern accent, dinosaurs, trigger warnings, and he churns out half a dozen cartoons about it. Why?
Cause that is one week's paycheck worth of booze for 30 minutes of work.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Bravo posted:

Why not? I'm positive at some point along the way Tinsley realized he could just finish all his drafts for a single comic and have a weeks worth of work already done. So every few days he sits and bangs out six or seven duck-void comics, or maybe two or three that take new art, and then pulls together the ten or so he likes best to send into the editor. Don't have ten to send or editor spits one back? Just sub in one of the ones cut from previous selections. Who is going to care?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is this implying there are strips Tinsley feels are below his standards?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Every time someone says that Tinsley has an editor, I get the mental image of one of those drinking birds with a stamp that says "Approved!" tied to it's head.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Captain Bravo posted:

Every time someone says that Tinsley has an editor, I get the mental image of one of those drinking birds with a stamp that says "Approved!" tied to it's head.

Someone has to weed out the ones that are too beer-stained to run.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Bravo posted:

I just figured Tisnley found the one person that is even more drunkenly useless than he is.

"Oh I gotsh to deshide what comicsh to put in today already? Wow...gently caress what time ish it? Oh...hmm, Tishley. Yeah thish is a comic he shent me arright...OK print it."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:ducksiren::tinsley: TRIGGER WARNING:tinsley::ducksiren:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Splode posted:

Imagine if you were this dumb

Just gonna leave this here

http://www.logcabin.org/

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

Is this implying there are strips Tinsley feels are below his standards?

Nah, just that he might like some more than others. Or maybe he just grabs the first ten off the stack when the deadline hits, or maybe it's whatever his wife/editor/some third party can grab before he wakes up and starts throwing bottles at them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If... 25-28 May

The Scottish National Party's results in the General Election can only be described as historic. They stood candidates in all 59 Scottish seats and won 56 of them, prompting Alex Salmond to declare "the Scottish lion has roared". Much of this advance was at the expense of Labour, who saw many previously safe seats gobbled up.

(I actually really like the way Bell tied together Salmond's comments with the collapse of Scottish Labour, the previous week's baked bean theme and the long and noble tradition of farting in political cartoons.)

Of course while 56 out of 59 seats is a big deal, 56 out of Parliament's 650 is less of one. In addition, the main goals of the SNP (additional devolved powers) would cost Cameron relatively little and allow him to appease a decent chunk of his opposition.

The "lying Liberal pudding" in the third strip is Alistair Carmichael, now the only Liberal Democrat MP left in Scotland. Before the election he leaked a memo intended to be embarrassing to SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, and then lied about doing so. Leaking this kind of information is seen as business as usual in British politics, but lying about doing so is completely beyond the pale - especially given the leak sparked a costly police investigation. At the time of writing Carmichael is still hanging on to his job, but may be turfed out either by legal challenge or by his constituents.

Are these explanations helpful by the way? If... is very "a thing happened + nonsense" and relies pretty heavily on you being familiar with current affairs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Party Boat posted:

Are these explanations helpful by the way? If... is very "a thing happened + nonsense" and relies pretty heavily on you being familiar with current affairs.

I love these cartoons and the context is hugely helpful, so please continue with them :)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That is treason Johnny

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Jeremy Hunt's price-label plan – Health secretary plans to put prices of NHS-prescribed medicine on packages, aimed at encouraging patients to complete course of medication and minimise waste"

Telegraphs:

Independent:

Times:

Wimbledon 2015: Rafael Nadal beaten by Dustin Brown

Mail:
Mac on... the new Wimbledon highlights programme

'Well that's all from me, Sue Barker. Now a summary of today's matches from Clare Balding...'

Stephen Collins:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

A "boot to the head" joke SQUANDERED.

I think Ted Cruz is closer to being Ed Gruberman but Trump fits, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM

bitey posted:

I suspect that it's a mixture of two things. First, no one enjoys dealing with an angry drunk so his editor probably just avoids the guy. Second, I suspect there's some kind of Office Space scenario where the payroll officer is gradually reducing his paycheck to nothing hoping that the guy just leaves without a confrontation.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 4, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Telegraphs:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

He's a bad president

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

A helpful note: the Daily Telegraph is nicknamed the Torygraph in Britain, and is the country's most consistently conservative newspaper. Just consider it to be in the same vein of all the right-wingers over here who go WHY ISN'T OBAMA PUTTING BOOTS AGAINST ISIL, except possibly without the proclivity to just reverse immediately in the hypothetical where he actually does that.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

This entire week was a build up to this stupid rear end joke. God drat it :fuckoff:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Whatever Obama is doing is wrong somehow.

That's it.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Trump is getting killed by this, already several Republican latino organizations have demanded either an apology from him or the GOP to issue some kind of reprimand. The best part is the blowback isn't hitting just him, the other candidates are getting smeared for not calling him out on it, and in addition the democratic candidates are able to make hay on how he represents the Republican party and how out of touch they are. Really a perfect storm of insanity and exactly what I expected when he entered the race.

His polling in the primary has gone up significantly, although I would attribute this to increased name recognition and the tendency of primaries to attract more extreme voters

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

A Number of veterans have their PTSD triggered by the fireworks used on the 4th of July. An Anti troops cartoon.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

bassguitarhero posted:

His polling in the primary has gone up significantly, although I would attribute this to increased name recognition and the tendency of primaries to attract more extreme voters

There is an element that is going to circle the wagons and double up their support in the face of any criticism from the "main stream media". Also, a huge part of their base are racists who are happy to have a candidate finally straight up call Hispanics drug dealing rapists, as that is what they believe.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Ran across this and thought of you, Politoons thread. The Flatterers, by Pieter Bruegel the Younger, 1592.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Stay classy, Latuff.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Why red in Greece's flag instead of blue?
Siryza?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Obama takes a lemonade break before returning to work. Meanwhile, ISIL is pounded by airstrikes and pushed back by the YPG. A good, optimistic cartoon.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chewbaccanator posted:

Why red in Greece's flag instead of blue?
Siryza?

Red for Siryza, presumably. I looked into historical flags but I'm pretty sure there haven't been any actual red versions of the current Greek flag. You have to go back to the Greek Revolution to get red in your flag, and before that, Byzantium.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Because they are dressing Greece in orange like in the decapitation videos that the scene evokes, goons.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think it's meant to be orange as a callback to the orange jumpsuits ISIS dressed prisoners in for the beheading videos

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Green Wing posted:

Because they are dressing Greece in orange like in the decapitation videos that the scene evokes, goons.

Stop posting faster than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
That makes sense too! I've tried to avoid watching those decapitation videos so the symbolism went over my head. (I did get the Daesh reference though.)

• Locked thread