Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peakay
Jun 29, 2013

Stealthy Simian of Trickery

Robo Reagan posted:

There's a few goons on Cactuar and I don't want to be a dick and steal dudes they can play with, but Excalibur is worth the wait. You can get in on an early morning.

>5 minute DPS queues does sound like a compelling argument. I'll try getting into that server then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Get in line

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, you have to do some waiting and that sucks, but we all had to do it. It's worth the wait though since FFXIV turned out to not suck and the goons turned out not to be jaded cynical dicks and like helping newbies for the most part so there's still hundreds of dudes in both FCs.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, you have to do some waiting and that sucks, but we all had to do it. It's worth the wait though since FFXIV turned out to not suck and the goons turned out not to be jaded cynical dicks and like helping newbies for the most part so there's still hundreds of dudes in both all three FCs.

fixed

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Is the trailblazer set for gatherers even really worth getting considering it has no meld slots? Would the HQ serpentskin set be better to shoot for because if so I'd rather by grinding gil than scrips.

HQ serpentskin is going to require either grinding up a crafter yourself or spending several million gil right now. A full set of blue scrip gear will take maybe 2-3 hours of grabbing collectables. As a level 58 fisher using vendor-bought 55 gear and rod, I was able to get about 4 of the noontide whatevers (the lowest level fish that gives scrip) during each 20 minute window they were available. Each one gave 32-38 scrip.

Sure, the crafted set will be better, but you're looking at an order of magnitude more difficulty to acquire it. Scrip gear seems to be a great stopgap, which is exactly what it was designed to be.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are the extra retainers worth it? I have two right now, one is combat and the other is fishing. However, since CUL is my main craft, and I am also leveling BTN, I feel I should get a third. Am I wrong? Should I give Yoshi more of my money?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It's rather frustrating, especially in a PUG, when an attempt at a boss falls apart through no fault of your own, and there's nothing you can do about it. For example, I was in a Bismarck EX party and when we got to the second phase, the tanks instantly lost threat on both snakes to the AST, meaning they couldn't swap properly because they used their Provokes on getting the snakes in the first place, the snakes kill everyone. People in the thread are saying it's an easy fight but I can't find a group that can handle it yet.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's rather frustrating, especially in a PUG, when an attempt at a boss falls apart through no fault of your own, and there's nothing you can do about it. For example, I was in a Bismarck EX party and when we got to the second phase, the tanks instantly lost threat on both snakes to the AST, meaning they couldn't swap properly because they used their Provokes on getting the snakes in the first place, the snakes kill everyone. People in the thread are saying it's an easy fight but I can't find a group that can handle it yet.

Solution: tell the AST to wait before throwing a ton of healing out when you break the shell. This was an issue once or twice in my clear party. Asking the healer to chill for a sec fixed it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

TooManyUzukis posted:

Solution: tell the AST to wait before throwing a ton of healing out when you break the shell. This was an issue once or twice in my clear party. Asking the healer to chill for a sec fixed it.

Not an issue any more since the group fell apart but he said it was from Helios and he "needed the MP regen" but I don't know enough about AST to understand any of that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The tanks could also:

Use actual emnity generating actions to pull the snakes (Flash and Unleash are really good for this because you don't even have to target them, just be near)
Wait a few seconds for the aggro from Helios to take affect and then Provoke, giving them threat = to the AST

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Eej posted:

Wait a few seconds for the aggro from Helios to take affect and then Provoke, giving them threat = to the AST

This is the wost possible idea given the fight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I can't speak to what the healers were doing in our BisEX clear last night, but two Overpowers were sufficient for me to grab and hold my snake until the point where I had to switch/not-switch.

If you're on Excalibur, get a hold of Cid's Angels.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TooManyUzukis posted:

This is the wost possible idea given the fight.

They don't move for like two seconds! Plenty of time for the aggro to tick!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Well what can I do? I'm a DRG, I hit things with sticks, I make big numbers, I backflip off The Navel. Telling another player that they're doing things wrong (not even in terms of DPS, I mean like using skills when they shouldn't) is just asking for an argument. If I go about suggesting that the healer does something different they'll just check my search profile, see that I don't have a healer past 36, and tell me to take a running leap. In this sort of content, anyway - people seem to be more willing to listen to advice in levelling content. That's how I learned not to use Ring of Thorns over and over again for AOE damage, like I see a lot of other DRGs doing.

Eej posted:

They don't move for like two seconds! Plenty of time for the aggro to tick!

I think he means that they need to hold on to Provoke for when the blue/green debuffs get applied, in case they have the wrong snake.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Telling another player that they're doing things wrong (not even in terms of DPS, I mean like using skills when they shouldn't) is just asking for an argument.

DO IT ANYWAY. If you know there is a problem and you say nothing, you are just as much at fault as they are. If they are stubborn/uncooperative, see what the other members of the party think and try to explain to them what's going wrong, see if numbers will pressure the person making the mistake to admit it and figure out how to fix it. If nothing works, kick the offender. If you don't have that power, and someone who does refuses to do so, leave.

Edit: Do not, under any circumstances, just passively sit and wait for things to work themselves out. If the people making mistakes aren't aware they are loving up, the mistakes will keep happening and you will not clear.

TooManyUzukis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 4, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah woops. Shows you how much I use Provoke to pull things.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I played for a bit a few months ago and then took a break and just started again a couple days ago. I'm nearly finished with 2.0 and had a few questions about tomestones. Are soldiery tomestones worthless now? I exchanged them for poetics since it didn't look like there was anything else to do. Are poetics still useful? I looked on the market and there seems to be a bunch of ilvl 120+ gear on there, so can I just buy those instead of collecting poetics for the weathered stuff? And as I understand it, the main quests after 2.0 only give exp if you have HW, but is that also true for side quests and other stuff?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I played for a bit a few months ago and then took a break and just started again a couple days ago. I'm nearly finished with 2.0 and had a few questions about tomestones. Are soldiery tomestones worthless now? I exchanged them for poetics since it didn't look like there was anything else to do. Are poetics still useful? I looked on the market and there seems to be a bunch of ilvl 120+ gear on there, so can I just buy those instead of collecting poetics for the weathered stuff? And as I understand it, the main quests after 2.0 only give exp if you have HW, but is that also true for side quests and other stuff?

Yeah, everything you could buy with Soldiery is purchasable with different currency. Poetics are most useful for a 130 weapon, since that'll last until 54-56. You'll need an Encrypted Tomestone and Carbontwine to get a 130 weapon. The armor will still last for a while, but it's a fair bit of farming to get it all, and without Carbontwine/Carboncoats it's roughly as good as WoD gear and would be replaced more quickly when leveling.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

this zone seems promising already

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:agreed:

<5 minute DPS queues are amazing. AMAZING.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that the duty finder connects players on the same data center even across different worlds, so Excalibur shouldn't necessarily have faster queue times than any other world on Primal.

isk posted:

Yeah, everything you could buy with Soldiery is purchasable with different currency. Poetics are most useful for a 130 weapon, since that'll last until 54-56. You'll need an Encrypted Tomestone and Carbontwine to get a 130 weapon. The armor will still last for a while, but it's a fair bit of farming to get it all, and without Carbontwine/Carboncoats it's roughly as good as WoD gear and would be replaced more quickly when leveling.
Is there any way to get Carbontwine and Encrypted Tomestones other than Coil or the weekly CT quest?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

After the expansion I didn't see a >5 minute DPS queue until I got to the ARF.

Gotta wait for the wave of DRKs to hit 60, I guess.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Thumbtacks posted:

this zone seems promising already

The nodes have the best dialogue

The "civilian were savagely <bzzzzz>" gave me a good laugh

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Opposing Farce posted:

Is there any way to get Carbontwine and Encrypted Tomestones other than Coil or the weekly CT quest?

Nothing super efficient, though it may work depending on what you've got saved up. I think Tomestones are solely from Coil and weekly CT quest. Carbontwine can be purchased with 6 Unstained Mark Logs, which cost 500 Hunt Seals each (and rarely drop from A/S ranks).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Newbie, doing a trial run because I heard so much about 14. I started as an arcanist, but wanted to switch to a pugilist. I read up that my starting area is closed off until level 15, so should I just start a new character since my gear is the complete opposite of melee? Are the mainland quests different enough from the island quests?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tae posted:

Newbie, doing a trial run because I heard so much about 14. I started as an arcanist, but wanted to switch to a pugilist. I read up that my starting area is closed off until level 15, so should I just start a new character since my gear is the complete opposite of melee? Are the mainland quests different enough from the island quests?

Just play through until 15. It doesn't take a terribly long time (maybe 6~ hours?) to get to Ul'dah for the first time, and you'll appreciate the extra EXP for Pugilist from the Armory system. If you just don't like Arcanist, that's another thing, but since all progress is permanent level-wise I can't really recommend throwing away a character to start over.

Niton fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 4, 2015

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Azys Lla scientists were associated with some Aperture Science levels of experiments, it seems.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tae posted:

You get a 100% bonus to XP from FATES and killing monsters for leveling a class lower than your highest so this is a game where you literally can't mess up your order of leveling and lowbie gear is dirt cheap. Unlike FE.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hey excalibur-folk, there apparently is/was a linkshell for helping new players see old content called Cid's Angels, but apparently it's completely full. A second linkshell has been made, so get in on that http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27516&pid=107705#pid107705

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Eej posted:

lowbie gear is dirt cheap. Unlike FE.

To clarify, lowbie gear is dirt cheap FROM NPC VENDORS. Don't go to the mb for basically any low gear aside from some of the level 15 Plundered items which are dirt cheap. Lowbie gear on the mb typically goes for much more than vendors; usually in the area of 10x, some as high as 100x (typically crafting/gathering gear).

The gear you can get from npcs is perfectly decent, don't fall into the trap of thinking that npcs only exist as junk>gil machines

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Poetics armor is 120 and you can use that intill 52, saves you from having to buy the white gear in the new town which is 115. Better then nothing I would say, looks been then the vendor armor you can buy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Question about DoTs and the snapshotting thereof. I know they snapshot player debuffs and buffs, but what about the victim? If it has a defense buff up when the DoT is applied, will that DoT do piss all damage even after the defense buff is removed? What about vulnerability from trick attack?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

Question about DoTs and the snapshotting thereof. I know they snapshot player debuffs and buffs, but what about the victim? If it has a defense buff up when the DoT is applied, will that DoT do piss all damage even after the defense buff is removed? What about vulnerability from trick attack?

Yes to both.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

SS was supposedly buffed by way of making it increase the damage of DOT ticks, but supposedly that change didn't get properly implemented?

Is this confirmed? I'd be kinda upset about that as a summoner since the 170/180 caster gear is loaded with SS and accuracy!

Yoship lied to us :argh:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ankh morn is big

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Is this confirmed? I'd be kinda upset about that as a summoner since the 170/180 caster gear is loaded with SS and accuracy!

Yoship lied to us :argh:

No.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Now do it on something that isn't a target dummy.

Lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When do we get that sweet new AF2 class gear they showed off during fanfests? I want my redneck fishing gear!

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Mordiceius posted:

When do we get that sweet new AF2 class gear they showed off during fanfests? I want my redneck fishing gear!

2 weeks from tuesday, it'll be Esoterics gear for combat classes and Red(?) scrips for crafters and gatherers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, I have all the DoH classes at 50 with the HQ 55 class armor and weapons, how do I even begin to level them up? Is it any easier to get up to high levelc rafting than it was in 2.X? What sort of progression should I be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

So, I have all the DoH classes at 50 with the HQ 55 class armor and weapons, how do I even begin to level them up? Is it any easier to get up to high levelc rafting than it was in 2.X? What sort of progression should I be looking for?

For the first few levels, just buy gear from vendors for leve turnins. At some point you want to swap to collectible/making your own HQ leve turnins, but that poo poo is expensive. A slower but less expensive way to level is to just make endless quantities of something basic you can sell on the marketboard, like rainbow thread.

• Locked thread