Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pookel posted:

Yeah, I don't want to read all of them, but I went through the Skaven, Empire, and High Elves books, and saw no sign of monkeycheese, just your standard grognard stuff:

I can personally assure you that the Skaven monkeycheese rules were in there the day i posted. Dunno if GW is doing damage control and removing them, but they were there.

EDIT: Improbable victory is still there. No sign of verminous offering, so maybe GW is wising up?
EDIT 2: Settra's "And He Did Say 'War', And The World Did Tremble" along with Konrad's "One Bat Short of a Belfry" is still there too. Maybe GW just decided on a 'no pets' rule?

CommissarMega has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

OutsideAngel posted:

Just one of many reasons that Magic is still a money-printing factory (completely ignoring the respective quality of the games in question). Although I could write a couple thousand words about how long most cards tend to 'last' in the game, and how the most popular competitive scene probable costs more than 40k in the long run...

But this is the 'dumb marketing' thread, so instead I'll talk about the Reserved List.

Back when Magic was young and just starting to really skyrocket, there was a big scare among 'collectors' that Wizards of the Coast could just reprint all of their just-becoming-valuable-pieces-of-cardboard, thus devaluing their nonexistant worth. So Wizards of the Coast, in order to appease the 'collectors' published a list of cards made up from the earliest sets in the game, that they would never reprint or "functionally reprint" which means make a new card that is effectively the same but with a different name or whatever.

Now, this might not sound so bad, except that Wizards also decided that they wanted to officially support a game mode in which you can use cards from just about every expansion, including the cards on the Reserved List. This includes company-sponsored tournaments, Grand Prixs, etc. And, in fact, all of the most competitive decks used anywhere from 4-34 cards on this list.

So you have an artificially fixed commodity, coupled with an intentionally growing number of people who want that item. Sound great for Wizards, no? Except, because of the Reserved List, they can't offer any supply to meet that demand. Instead, the second-hand market is free to charge $200 PER CARD, cards that Wizards hasn't printed in decades. We're just now (within the last couple of years) starting to see Chinese print shops offer passable counterfeits on demand, not because they couldn't before, but because there's never been so much money in it.

(The best/worst thing about the Reserved List is that the later you look, the more obvious it becomes that they were Reserving cards not based on age, but on how powerful they thought they were/would be. Also their 'predictions' were sometimes pretty dumb. Radiant, but not Tinker?)

I dont getnyour point?'wotc made a promise; and then kept it?

I followed mtg for many years, and you cant have "we arent reprinting cards on the no-reprint list" alongside "cards on the no-reprint list wont steadily increase in value."

What solution would you propose? They make much cheaper formats that are way more popular, ao I just cant understand what you are complaining about, unless its the basic propertes of standard economics.

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

thewireguy posted:

That doesn't sound like fun anymore.

That happened two editions ago. This situation cannot happen anymore. Believe it or not, the rules for 40k are about as solid as they've ever been. The biggest problem with the game now is the balance between armies, with some being far superior to others, and the release schedule being so fast these days that players are having to buy new books rather frequently just to stay up on the rules.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I binge read a massive amount of posts to catch up and I remember a toilet paper commercial specifically about the existential despair of a little ceramic decoration praying for death. Can anyone help me find the page? It's not in my youtube history and I can't remember the brand to search for. And Googling toilet paper begging for death is not so helpful.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkwFzmJTk0

e: Ha! There's a whole series of them. Not like this. Not like this.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Please stop talking about Warhammer. :, (

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whatev posted:

Please stop talking about Warhammer. :, (

No, it's hilarious :colbert:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Whatev posted:

Please stop talking about Warhammer. :, (WILL YOU NERDS KINDLY SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT PISSING WARHAMMER, THANKS IN ADVANCE

ftfy

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Master Twig posted:

The biggest problem with the game now is the players, a bunch of cunts that whinge about every aspect of it incessantly.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Centripetal Horse posted:

Yes. Dead to the tune of $12 billion in sales last year. It's baffling.

And people watch films like Boiler Room and The Wolf of Wall Street and groan "I can't believe they got away with stealing all that money from those poor people" without realizing that MLM companies, which are arguably worse, are loving flourishing right now :smith:

They're companies that exist for the sole purpose of harvesting their employees' sponsored partners' money. The ringleaders need to have their goddamn heads caved in.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Bacardi tries its hand at directed advertising for women!

Whatev has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Jul 6, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Whatev posted:

It's like they are completely unaware that the internet exists.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Whatev posted:

That can't be real :psyduck:

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever

Whatev posted:

I came in to make warhammer cracks, it's kind of my thing... but this derailed my brain entirely. I think it may have saved the thread from descending into rants about lead figures versus plastic figures.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whatev posted:

T-Minus Bacardi getting hosed: Any second now.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Turtlicious posted:

T-Minus Bacardi getting hosed: Any second now.

I just checked the date on these (the old mobile in the Lucy one gives it away), they're from 2008, apparently from an Israeli affiliate. They were pulled after two months, but I want to know how they got past anyone in marketing. I guess they were all drunk on Bacardi?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

CommissarMega posted:

I can personally assure you that the Skaven monkeycheese rules were in there the day i posted. Dunno if GW is doing damage control and removing them, but they were there.

EDIT: Improbable victory is still there. No sign of verminous offering, so maybe GW is wising up?
EDIT 2: Settra's "And He Did Say 'War', And The World Did Tremble" along with Konrad's "One Bat Short of a Belfry" is still there too. Maybe GW just decided on a 'no pets' rule?

i'm fairly sure verminous offering was a joke one, much like the slaanesh lords of pleasure one (give your opponent a rimjob, if satisifed, get a reroll)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

From now on these will forever be the unspoken side of Toy Story for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Whatev posted:

Its kinda like that Patton Oswalt bit about how liquor ads are the only honest ads. Its all "Get this in you because that's the only way you're fun" but without the tact and grace of that joke.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

This one is especially odd. She's about as mainstream pretty as you can reasonably be at that weight, so the ad comes off as extra mean-spirited.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

Oh no, MLMs are still thriving. I'm not sure how exactly they market it, but they always seem to find more suckers to fleece. On a grand scale, they accomplish quite the opposite of dumb marketing.

The sales pitches of the fools at the bottom of the pyramid scheme are another thing. :v:

They tend to go after poor, desperate people clinging for something - anything at all - that will help them be less poor and desperate. That or bored stay at home moms that want some extra cash. There are people that just want so, so bad to get out of their situation that they'll grasp at the slimmest hope. Which is why MLM is scummy as hell. They know they're scamming people that probably can't afford to be scammed. They also tend to target people that just flat out aren't that bright.

thewireguy posted:

That doesn't sound like fun anymore.

It might be fun if Warhammer was a cheap throw away game that was highly random and you played drunk for laughs. It isn't.

quote:

Liquid Fortification: You can add 1 to
the Bravery of Josef Bugman and any
Dispossessed unit from your army
within 4" of him whilst you are holding
a drink.

Oh wow it's a beard rule. :cripes:

quote:

Honour of the Clan: It is a Thane’s duty
to uphold the honour of his clan, and his
fighting prowess is as deadly as his beard is
magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit
rolls when attacking with a Thane so long
as you have a bigger and more impressive
beard than your opponent.

quote:

Old Grumblers: In your hero phase,
you can complain about something in a
suitably Dwarfish manner. For example,
the hardships you endured when you were
younger, how the youth of today don’t
respect their elders, how expensive beer
is etc. If you do, this unit of Longbeards
will join in and you can pick one of the
grumblings listed below. The effects last
until your next hero phase.

"This unit gets a bonus if you grumble like a cranky old man."

Nothing has point costs listed anywhere.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

I dont getnyour point?'wotc made a promise; and then kept it?

I followed mtg for many years, and you cant have "we arent reprinting cards on the no-reprint list" alongside "cards on the no-reprint list wont steadily increase in value."

What solution would you propose? They make much cheaper formats that are way more popular, ao I just cant understand what you are complaining about, unless its the basic propertes of standard economics.

My post was about how stupid the Reserved List was in the first place, but since you ask...

Wizards has already "broken" the Reserved List by printing new "premium" and "promo" versions of cards on the List that are considered tournament-legal. They've also done non-tournament-legal reprints in the form of gold-bordered and oversized cards.

In 2010, they specifically stated that the original policy allowed for "premium" versions of Reserved List cards, and then changed the policy to disallow any further premium reprints, other than those they'd already announced, of course. So even at a time in which interest in Eternal formats (specifically Legacy) was peaking, Wizards chose to close off their avenue to keeping the format healthy and making big bank in the process. However, even then, they carried on with DCI promo reprints of Reserved List cards.

It's pretty clear that Wizards doesn't give two shits about their "promise" excepts where it's convenient. So they basically destroyed interest in two game formats, one of which was growing at the time of the 2010 change, in order to replace them both with one new game format, Modern. Now, Modern has done pretty well, admittedly, and their "not-Reserved reprint set" Modern Masters sold like gangbusters. But they could have done the same thing back in 2010 by selling a Legacy/Vintage Masters set as a premium set, without even violating their Reserved policy, and without having to build a gaming scene from the foundation up, and they could honestly still do the same drat thing today and it would sell well.

What brings it all together, though, is that now the same thing is happening with Modern staples: card prices are approaching the "multiple hundreds of dollars" mark, with no real reprints in sight. What's more, their attempt at getting fresh cardboard into the market with Modern Masters just ended with secondary sellers ordering the limited-print packs en masse, and either selling them at a 1000% markup or opening them and selling the singles at the same old original inflated prices.

So why is any of this Dumb Marketing? Because the company making the cards doesn't see one red cent from secondary sales. A number of people are making a good deal of money off of cardboard that Wizards sold 10+ years ago, while Wizards gets jack and poo poo from those transactions. Chinese print shops are charging $1 a pop for knockoff cards and coming out on top; Wizards could price them at ten times as much and still sell out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of the dumbest things about "no reprints, ever" policies is that it's basically saying "this is going to go up in price as long as the game is popular so hop to it, counterfeiters!" A single Black Lotus sells for thousands of dollars and that has just gone up continually. You need this card in your deck to compete properly at the highest levels in formats that allow all editions of magic. Something that valuable that is little more than ink on cardboard is guaranteed to have people trying to counterfeit it.

Actually kind of makes me wish I snapped a few of them up when they were still like $300 a piece. Oh well!

The other snag is of course that genuine cards, if you don't reprint them, can only decrease in number. Not only are these cards basically mandatory if you want to play certain formats competitively and have a prayer at winning but they become increasingly scarce. Unless more powerful stuff comes out (which in the case of these cards will happen sometime between "lol" and "never") that puts a hard limit on how many top level players can even exist. So here we have this artificial barrier between certain levels of play that you can only pass by puking out many thousands of dollars.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jul 6, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whatev posted:

"well you're talking about it so it's a success"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh wow it's a beard rule. :cripes:

I would love to see the rules lawyering that would come up with this. "It says the beard must be both bigger and more impressive. While I concede that my opponent's beard is certainly bigger and that I don't even have a beard, I maintain that it looks like poo poo and isn't impressing anyone. Can I get an official ruling on this?"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mizuti posted:

This one is especially odd. She's about as mainstream pretty as you can reasonably be at that weight, so the ad comes off as extra mean-spirited.

She could just lose weight.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Coucho Marx posted:

I just checked the date on these (the old mobile in the Lucy one gives it away), they're from 2008, apparently from an Israeli affiliate. They were pulled after two months, but I want to know how they got past anyone in marketing. I guess they were all drunk on Bacardi?

With any other industry, I would say that they deserve to spend a long time grovelling and apologising.

But for some reason, I'd have no problem with them saying 'sorry, everyone. we were drunk when we did it'

You feel that they genuinely believe in their product. Makes them a bit more honest.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pookel posted:

Yeah, I don't want to read all of them, but I went through the Skaven, Empire, and High Elves books, and saw no sign of monkeycheese, just your standard grognard stuff:

Well you missed some things then:

Pride of the reiksguard:
Helborg’s
skill is as legendary as his moustache is
magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit
rolls when attacking with the Runefang
so long as you have a bigger and more
impressive moustache than your opponent

Is from page 3 of Empire, for instance.

And a little further down, since I'm in that PDF anyway

The Mad Count:
Marius Leitdorf is an
exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally
insane. If, during your hero phase, you
pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you
can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland
Runefang until your next hero phase. If
you actually talk to your imaginary horse
you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

Someone in one of the threads in TradGames posted this:

serious gaylord posted:

GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.

There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.

They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.

The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

So we can all marvel at just how bafflingly bad GW's attempts at marketing are. They're going to take their terrible, critically slammed game to major nerdcons and try to persuade people to play it! As if anybody at one of those nerdcons who would be interested in playing it won't have heard how ridiculous it is! They're openly admitted that they put in the embarassing monkeycheese bullshit and broken autowin combos to drive people away from the older miniature ranges they've invested hundreds or thousands of pounds into! Etc etc etc etc. It's like a masterclass in awful marketing.

And then today, they literally erected a giant statue of the new mini in front of their HQ

Texmo posted:

they're being pretty transparent about this fantasy space marines thing, huh

:allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So, yeah, any chance we can shut the gently caress up about that dumb game

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The dumb marketing isn't dumb enough for you? Because it seems pretty dumb. Especially the Ozymandias/Ed Milliband-style statue.

(But yeah, I take the point, I missed a page of bitching before posting, sorry, I'll shut up now)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

thespaceinvader posted:

The dumb marketing isn't dumb enough for you? Because it seems pretty dumb. Especially the Ozymandias/Ed Milliband-style statue.

(But yeah, I take the point, I missed a page of bitching before posting, sorry, I'll shut up now)

It has the common problem that every niche nerd thing does where, for every funny story that everyone can enjoy, there's like a hundred more where the humor lies in the details that only involved fans give a poo poo about.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've never played any of these games and I am enjoying the stories of the company bumbling all this stuff and losing fans.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There's stories about how lovely the parent company of Warhammer treated some game shops too. I think some were just told they weren't being sold the newest sets of 40k stuff for no good reason, and others were being threatened to get cut off of all 40K items if they didn't stop selling rival games to 40K. 40k on its own doesn't even have good profit margins from what I understand, but it gets nerds in the door to potentially but other things.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, GW is terrible to deal with compared to basically any other company I dealt with at the shop. Konami, which makes Yu-Gi-Oh (also the videogame company, yes) is reasonably generous but totally disorganized. Wizards of the Coast, which makes Magic, is generous, easy to work with, and very professional. They were hands down the best.

Edit: Generous in terms of giving free stuff to players and generally being nice to their fans. Also, note that GW gave by far the lowest discount to retailers of any of the companies. AND you were required to keep a certain number of specific items in stock, even if you knew that your local players would never buy those things. And they were lovely about taking returns.

pookel has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Jul 6, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've never played any of these games and I am enjoying the stories of the company bumbling all this stuff and losing fans.

All you need to know is that over 20 years ago a little known company that used to be known as Silicon & Synapse wanted to pay Games Workshop royalties to make a video game version of their product.

Games Workshop was worried it would cannibalize their miniature sales, and so even though the company had a nearly finished game, they refused to sell the licence for the IP.

That game went on to become Warcraft and that company was Blizzard. Had Warcraft instead been a Warhammer game, so would likely Warcraft 2 and 3, and then World of Warcraft would have been World of Warhammer and Games Workshop would be looking at one of the most profitable IP licences for basically zero work.

At its peak WoW had over 10M subs, each paying $10-15 per month. That's over $100M per month. That's over a billion dollars annually.

But they said no thanks :lol:

Now they can't sell their IP to enough lovely videogames (and a few good ones) but nothing comes close to WoW's numbers or how much money they'd be making off Blizzard for just letting them use the name. Warhammer Online was a huge flop.

I cannot imagine how you could run a business in a worse manner. They have a crazy fanservice IP that is inexplicably popular but they do literally everything they can to lock it down and made it something you can't even have. The only products you're allowed are official games workshop miniatures which cost hundreds of dollars, oh and some of the factions' rules haven't been updated in several revisions and so still refer to rules that don't exist anymore.

I mean hell, the Blood Angels official rulebook was a magazine insert that was published years ago and has never been updated, it still refers to grenade rules that don't exist anymore. How do you play that in modern tournaments? Games Workshop sure doesn't give a gently caress! :v: The Grey Knights rulebook used to be several years out of date and had lots of broken rules but they might have updated it since I played? I don't even loving know. This is a game that attempts to be a tryhard tournament. :confused:

Most WH tournaments though are dominated by one or two specific army builds that massively take advantage of the stupidly unbalanced rules. I don't know what it is now but last I stopped playing ork armies with everybody on motorcycles were just straight dominating literally everything else in the game, because of unbalanced rules.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I just want to make a point clear. When he says that some factions had rule books that were several revisions out of date, we're talking about the Dark Eldar (space elves) not seeing an update in 12 god damned years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You mean to tell me, that the space elves were deprived of an update for over a decade. Unbelievable. I mean, it's the loving space elves for crying out loud. Elves. In. Space.

They deserve better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My mind is still reeling

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Zaphod42 posted:

:suicide:

I can totally understand the appeal of "Shakespeare for Dummies" since old-English is really hard for some people. (Its not that loving hard though)

But this is just waaaaaaaay too goddamned far.

Shakespeare is Early Modern English you philistine

e: several pages later I see that you have already been shamed for this transgression

TopherCStone has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Jul 7, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Last Chance posted:

You mean to tell me, that the space elves were deprived of an update for over a decade. Unbelievable. I mean, it's the loving space elves for crying out loud. Elves. In. Space.

They deserve better.

*angsty, BDSM, "I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL space elves with a torture theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

TopherCStone posted:

Shakespeare is Early Modern English you philistine

e: several pages later I see that you have already been shamed for this transgression

Seriously who says "old-English"? Everyone knows Shakesphere is Ye Olde English.