Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Clinton: I never received a subpoena

Clinton's lawyer: Uh, I guess, but that's because I receive thsoe, silly

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/08/politics/hillary-clinton-benghazi-subpoena-gowdy/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Bernie Sanders is incapable of doing anything more about that than Hillary Clinton, or even Martin O'Malley. He'd probably do better than Webb, but so would anyone else.

Nessus posted:

How does Sanders get a compliant legislature, or is the hope now that Sanders really will throw out the law and rule by fiat?

Why would anyone assume Sanders' and Clinton's executive appointments would be identical? Of course the two hypothetical administrations would have different priorities and results.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vox Nihili posted:

I think Bernie is more likely to push for a Ginsburg, which I would prefer, rather than settling for a Kagan. I'm fine with either, but there is a difference.

I'm aware that Bill Clinton appointed Ginsburg. But I think Bernie would push for a strong, progressive appointment in any case. Either way, the Republicans will be out in force, of course, but it certainly could make a difference.

Basically, Bernie's appointments are likely to be further to the left for each office. If Democrats can retake the Senate, it could be a huge deal.

Why do you think Bill Clinton's wife wouldn't push for the same sort of Supreme Court Justice that he pushed for?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why would anyone assume Sanders' and Clinton's executive appointments would be identical? Of course the two hypothetical administrations would have different priorities and results.

They would be pretty loving close because he'd have to accept heavy party help to actually get elected.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My point here is more that Clinton seems likely to have a wider coat-tail of support in the legislature, while a lot of what I'm hearing about Bernie is basically "oh he's so wonderful and dreamy and isn't like all these drat partisans," which in my mind means "I enjoy watching Republicans win legislative gains." Obviously this would not affect executive appointments.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Basically, this. Obama's NLRB has (eventually) done a lot after he finally managed to get them in place, and Bernie's could do a lot more. If you care about labor rights and union participation, this matters a great deal. Bernie is maybe the only candidate who knows and understands labor.

Not that I wouldn't welcome Hillary's appointments over Bush III's, but there is a lot of ideological space between Bernie and Hillary.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I thought that it was Janet Reno who pushed for Ginsburg, while the rest of the administration were suggesting ideas like nominating Hillary.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I thought the line was that Hillary was in no way related to Bill whatsoever and it's not a continuation of his legacy at all she's completely separate and new and different.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I mean, Hlary is vetted by Goldman Sachs. Bernie campaigns on expanding union membership. If you can't see the gulf, I'm not sure what to say.

Coming from a progressive position, the only argument for Hillary is electability.

Edit: I apologize for any typos, I'm phoneposting.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 9, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean, Hlary is vetted by Goldman Sachs. Bernie campaigns on expanding union membership. If you can't see the gulf, I'm not sure what to say.

There's no gulf because this useless prattle.

"Hillary Clinton wears socks. Bernie Sanders ate a llama once. If you can't see the gulf I don't know what to say."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Hillary Clinton wears socks. Bernie Sanders ate a llama once. If you can't see the gulf I don't know what to say."

Cogent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

Basically, this. Obama's NLRB has (eventually) done a lot after he finally managed to get them in place, and Bernie's could do a lot more. If you care about labor rights and union participation, this matters a great deal. Bernie is maybe the only candidate who knows and understands labor.

Not that I wouldn't welcome Hillary's appointments over Bush III's, but there is a lot of ideological space between Bernie and Hillary.

How many of Obama's lower appointments and hirings would stay on through a Democratic President that would just be replaced with a party switch? It could be interesting if the Democratic Administration gets off to a fast start since they don't have to fully restaff the agencies and can continue the good things. Maybe Hillary will let Bernie do the picks for the financial regulating agencies.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stereotype posted:

I know you're probably joking but lots of memoirs and letters from the Union soldiers during and after the Civil War stated that, unless you were in an actual battle against the Army of Northern Virginia, you haven't heard the rebel yell.

People tried to get Confederate Veterans to repeat it during the war and immediately afterwards, in like 1866, and basically everyone involved was like "yeah you just had to be there."

Oh, I'm 110% joking, I mostly want to use it to try to get idiots to, well, look like idiots. You either down know what the Rebel Yell is (the high pitched howl of a thousand poor farmers charging union positions for the right to look down on/abuse black people who were even worse off than they were), or you get to watch people howling like a maniac in public. A win-win in my book.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

i never thought of it that way

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

But it's not as if, were he to be elected, Bernie would just be able to say "I'm the guy now, get in line"--the party is bigger than that. If Bernie gets nominated, he wins the chance to choose which positions he has to compromise with the party leadership on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gyges posted:

How many of Obama's lower appointments and hirings would stay on through a Democratic President that would just be replaced with a party switch? It could be interesting if the Democratic Administration gets off to a fast start since they don't have to fully restaff the agencies and can continue the good things. Maybe Hillary will let Bernie do the picks for the financial regulating agencies.

The last similar change, Reagan to Bush I, had some significant top-level shuffling, but much less actually within the agencies.

Chantilly Say posted:

But it's not as if, were he to be elected, Bernie would just be able to say "I'm the guy now, get in line"--the party is bigger than that. If Bernie gets nominated, he wins the chance to choose which positions he has to compromise with the party leadership on.

Exactly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

The NLRB, for example, has members with 5-year appointments. The good work they've started under Obama will continue until each of their rotating appointments comes up (one per year).

I know some other agencies have similar systems, but I can't say that I'm aware of the overall proportion. Filling the Cabinet will be hell, of course.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

mlmp08 posted:

Clinton: I never received a subpoena

Clinton's lawyer: Uh, I guess, but that's because I receive thsoe, silly

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/08/politics/hillary-clinton-benghazi-subpoena-gowdy/index.html

Okay I'm going to wade into this just a little bit. It was a stupid question and a loaded question. Hillary was right when she said she wasn't subpoenaed when she reviewed and deleted any emails. She's probably correct in a roundabout way that she wasn't under subpoena.

The reporter does just throw in, "While you were under investigation," before asking about a subpoenaed.

The Gowdy jumps in and says, "Well you weren't subpoenaed at the time but your lawyer could totally tell we wanted to."

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
Right on time!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

Right, so at the risk of repeating myself, the differing priorities and agendas of a Sanders or a Clinton administration would in fact have differing results in policies. The issue is everyone who's saying "they're both Democrats, what's the difference?".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

More White Noise posted:

Right on time!

45 minutes of telling Trump to can it, I presume?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

More White Noise posted:

Right on time!

Don't do it Trump, keep it on full blast.:getin:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Yep. Of course, the end result of compromise is dependent on the starting point of the individual parties in question. In other words, you can't get something you aren't trying to get in the first place.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More White Noise posted:

Right on time!

Stop saying what we deep down believe

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

More White Noise posted:

Right on time!

Don't listen to the man Trump. You just keep on Trumpin.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joementum posted:

I'll take Gilbert Gottfried in the upper left square.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Don't listen to the man Trump. You just keep on Trumpin.

I kind of want Trump to take his ball and go home now. Like he'll just storm off and create his own party.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep. Of course, the end result of compromise is dependent on the starting point of the individual parties in question. In other words, you can't get something you aren't trying to get in the first place.

But I don't want an adversarial relationship between the progressive elements of our largest functioning left-leaning party and party leadership, I want the party leadership to move left, which in the long term is better served by small incremental moves, not big flashy ones like primary upsets that lead to tricky, possibly contentious compromise negotiations between a leftist nominee and the technocratic institution that's supposed to support him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i am sure bernie "actual leftist" sanders will be treated kindly by the media

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

More White Noise posted:

Right on time!

In a subsequent tweet, Costa says:

quote:

Priebus seen as necessary emissary, per donors. Party chair who has made Hispanic outreach key RNC mission. Also friendly w/ DT.

Where does that come from? There is nothing that Priebus or the GOP has done or said that even hints at this being true.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

radical meme posted:

Where does that come from? There is nothing that Priebus or the GOP has done or said that even hints at this being true.

If they say it enough it will be as if it were true.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

i am sure bernie "actual leftist" sanders will be treated kindly by the media

Obama as the line, over or under?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

radical meme posted:

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
Here's the full story

quote:

The head of the Republican National Committee, responding to demands from increasingly worried party leaders, spent nearly an hour Wednesday on the phone with Donald Trump, urging the presidential candidate to tone down his inflammatory comments about immigration that have infuriated a key election constituency.

“I think he’ll self-destruct relatively quickly. The dynamic, I think, will change very dramatically and Trump will be yesterday’s news,” said former senator Robert F. Bennett (R-Utah). “But if this does have legs, if Trump can keep this going, it will be very worrisome.”

The fear among Bennett and others is that Trump will set back the party’s efforts to rehabilitate its image and broaden its appeal. And it appears likely that he will be onstage in the presidential debates that begin next month — a dissonant figure in what GOP leaders had hoped to present as a substantive, experienced and appealing field of candidates.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

radical meme posted:

quote:

Priebus seen as necessary emissary, per donors. Party chair who has made Hispanic outreach key RNC mission. Also friendly w/ DT.

I am pretty sure that Reince is very familiar with the DTs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think Satan might be more popular with the youth vote and republican base than Hillary.

I've got to hand it to his campaign staff, the statues of Baphomet and the argument that restrictions on abortion violate women's freedom of religion have really increased his standing among millennials.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

According to Costa, they even gave Trump a chance over the weekend to cut it out. Trump did not.

Please let him stay in. Let the RNC decide to burn him to the ground. Let the RNC drop him from debates. Let him cry about the man keeping him and Americans out of the political process. Let him start the Donald Trump American Party (DTAP) and run independent.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm picturing reince setting the phone down several times mid rant to fix himself another drink.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Articles like this always come off as really strange to me, discussing in earnest how People Will Respond, like those same people can't actually go and read the article and see how people are speculating on how they'll respond and have the article itself affect how they'll respond. Am I the only one that gets weirded out by those meta-analysis pieces?

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hello friends!!!

Checking back in since we're starting to get in the swing of things.

Donald Trump is literally my #1 choice for the 2016 South Carolina GOP Presidential Primary Vote by default right now by virtue of not being as worthless as or as much of a piece of poo poo as any of his officially declared opponents.

I am a tad worried that his "gently caress YOU, MEXICANS" campaign strategy may not improve upon Mitt Romney's performance with Latino voters enough to avoid another general election loss.

Can anyone tell me in what states assisted suicide is now legal? TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Why haven't Bernie's folk music stylings been a bigger part of his campaign aesthetic?

• Locked thread