Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I had this happen to me on our Bismark EX kill with Wheeling Thrust, except I got stuck in the pocket between Bismark and the rock and couldn't jump out. I mean the raid finished just fine since my DPS wasn't so good anyway :smith:

http://gfycat.com/SnappyInexperiencedKitfox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

flipoff posted:

drat, I only got the arcanist book from that event
Should've finished it then. The clothing was for progress, the weapons for turning in rewards from the fates.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's because you're an AST
From my experience doing the vault as all three healer jobs, it's not specifically because you're AST, it's just that if it's much harder to catch up if your group fucks up as AST than it is as either other healer class since you don't have as many emergency catch-up options. I'd heavily recommend Diurnal Sect, keep your Essential Dignity ready to go for someone taking extra damage during the "dodge literally everything the boss can throw at you" bit, and count on Aspected Helios topping people off after Altar Pyres. It is one of the harsher story dungeon bosses to heal, though it is certainly perfectly doable as any healer.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Calihan posted:

I considered SMN a while back but I found it nearly impossible to do the early levels of Arcanist without falling in to a boredom induced coma.

I am sure it gets better later but holy gently caress are the first 20 or so levels a giant sleeping pill.

I feel like the early levels should be a great time to get you some experience with managing your pet, but there's nothing to really justify it. Maybe a class quest where you have to place your pet, or put it on obey and use one of its cooldowns?

I'm only level 48, but I think I'm getting to the point where I should be microing cooldowns as a summoner, or choosing embrace targets as a scholar. I haven't been prior to this, and it's a hard shift to start making now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hunting logs, fates, roulettes.
I really, really wish that getting to 60 on one class unlocked the 'good' roulette rewards no matter what class you're playing as. As it is I feel I can't use my first-time roulette bonus on any class but my main because it would be a huge waste of Law tomes. :(

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Does anyone have suggestions for exhausting commercial engineering manuals? I always seem to be wasting a lot of exp in the book by not just mashing the synth button (and missing all that bonus xp/gil from hqs)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Eej posted:

DRK is okay, could use slight tweaks. MCH is a fine alternative to BRD. It's AST that needs the most love, even though it's still usable for now in current content.

I feel like the narrative on MCH has been starting to shift the last couple of days. Maybe Yoshi was right after all when he said everybody just needed to git gud.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pierson posted:

I really, really wish that getting to 60 on one class unlocked the 'good' roulette rewards no matter what class you're playing as. As it is I feel I can't use my first-time roulette bonus on any class but my main because it would be a huge waste of Law tomes. :(

I don't feel bad about using my LLDR bonus to level an alt. The game's just making GBS threads law tomes and in a few weeks I'm going to run out of things to buy with them.

Plus it means I don't run the risk of getting level synced below 40 as a BLM. Ugh. There's enough people reaching the end of the MSQ that you can farm newbie bonuses off of the FC to make up for it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Erg posted:

I'm only level 48, but I think I'm getting to the point where I should be microing cooldowns as a summoner, or choosing embrace targets as a scholar. I haven't been prior to this, and it's a hard shift to start making now.

I've gone through almost all of the 2.x content with Selene on sic. There's like 2 fights where obey helped.

Since 3.0 hit, though, I've been using obey pretty much exclusively. The aoe leeches is way too good for selene to waste on a single debuff.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Truga posted:

Since 3.0 hit, though, I've been using obey pretty much exclusively. The aoe leeches is way too good for selene to waste on a single debuff.
Selene is also about as clever about the AoE Leeches as she is about her silence, she'll use it the moment anyone gets any debuff, even if that debuff can't even be removed by the ability, much like she'll instantly use the silence the moment something gets cast, even if it's something that can't be silenced.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Smart Car posted:

Selene is also about as clever about the AoE Leeches as she is about her silence, she'll use it the moment anyone gets any debuff, even if that debuff can't even be removed by the ability, much like she'll instantly use the silence the moment something gets cast, even if it's something that can't be silenced.

It's pretty funny to see her try and cleanse Weakness or try to silence Phlegethon's Ancient Flare right as he's about to cast it and die from wandering back into the center area, though.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Tenzarin posted:

I got kicked from a3 for not "doing my homework" on the fight and looking it up online. How good are the GMs about resolving issues like this?
as random pubbie ~mao zedong~ once said if a duty finder ifrit extreme, "watch a loving video"

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Don't lose your craaaaaaaaaaaft

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Dukka posted:

as random pubbie ~mao zedong~ once said if a duty finder ifrit extreme, "watch a loving video"

alternatively, don't

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why would you need to watch a video for ifrit extreme of all things

yes there are fights with complicated mechanics that work better presented visually but they're not ifrit extreme

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

I did it, you guys

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Hivac posted:

I did it, you guys

God bless.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hivac posted:

I did it, you guys

Prepare for pain.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

But the crp in that screenshot is at 50? :confused:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

staplegun posted:

But the crp in that screenshot is at 50? :confused:

The 1.x level carry-over thing is weird in practice.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kirbysuperstar posted:

The 1.x level carry-over thing is weird in practice.

Considering they're on Alex according to their quests, I'm assuming they just spammed leves and turnins to 50 without ever unlocking the class

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

bonewitch posted:

Considering they're on Alex according to their quests, I'm assuming they just spammed leves and turnins to 50 without ever unlocking the class

Yeah, I unlocked everything back in 1.0 and never picked up the craft quests so I pretty much just did leves the entire time.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

DRK is mediocre for everything except MT DPS.

Lots of weird decisions floating around the job, out of all three new ones it's the middle of the road/average one. Out of all three of the tanks it's probably the weakest party contribution wise.

I've been feeling this way myself.
PLD can drop a damage shield on the party with a long CD. MT PLD takes less damage. OT PLD can heal people.
WAR does a lot of damage and can have 100% uptime on either -10% damage dealt or +10% slashing damage. OT WAR can do both. If WAR uses their slashing debuff, a NIN in the party can skip theirs for a DPS increase. WAR also has a "give me a bunch of HP or TP" button.
DRK has int down. If there's a mnk in the party, the mnk still has to use dragon kick. They also have -10% damage taken, but on a CD and only if they parry, so no using it if you're OT. Their Sentinel-alike is just worse than what the other two tanks get; I feel like it should get a DA bonus, like +50% duration. Their "don't die" button is good in theory but in practice is harder to not die with than the other two tanks.
My real problem is that a lot of the buttons feel like poo poo to use.
1) Dark Mind is weird. There are very few cases where you would want to use it, but not DA it. Why not just give it a big MP cost so it wouldn't be awkward to use?
2) Dark Dance is lovely, and DA Dark Dance is dumb.
3) Dark Arts combined with anything that already costs MP feels bad. This is mostly because you would only do this when AoEing and once your 15 seconds of Blood Price MP is gone, dumping all that MP means you have to stop actually AoEing. You could AoE three times, or you could AoE once and get a Cure worth of HP back.

And that's combined with how much of a slog it is to get your MP back when Blood Price is down or you aren't getting hit much for a long stretch of time.

Also it's the only tank with no good way to regulate their TP use other than "spam ranged attack".

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think AST and DRK are underpowered or whatever. Maybe I'll eat my words in savage Alex when one of our healers and I are forced to go PLD/SCH or something but while I think both could use a tiny buff or something I don't think they're in a terribly bad place.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think AST and DRK are underpowered or whatever. Maybe I'll eat my words in savage Alex when one of our healers and I are forced to go PLD/SCH or something but while I think both could use a tiny buff or something I don't think they're in a terribly bad place.

DRK isn't in like, 2.0 WAR's position or anything. It just feels like it has some rough edges and some weird design bits that could stand to be tweaked. I'll be surprised if people throw it to the side the way they did WAR back then, but it might find itself in a situation similar to SMN in the early bits of fcob where nobody wanted them because all the gear was spell speed and they ran out of MP in five seconds.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Goons are whiny as poo poo. No one knows how mediocre they'll actually be until they release content that those jobs can't reasonably handle, like you said. But the narrative that all pubbies are poo poo but when I can't perform it's because my class is UP is pretty good to watch unfold tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What did people realize about MCH that improved perception of them, exactly?

(I still dislike them because RNG on whether you're allowed to do the basic combo is butts)

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think DRK is awful, just mediocre. The 120 second TP sustain in current gear for off tanking is pretty top tier garbage, but at least Paladins are kind of in the same boat (but they have more poo poo to do while out of TP). I'd be less unhappy if it was at least 180 seconds, or Blood Weapon restored 100 TP on use or something. Dark Mind needing DA to be truly good against any magic busters is a bit meh, but I can live with that. DA Dark Dance being evasion instead of extra parry chance is really questionable, though, since you can't dodge tank busters from raid bosses (as far as I've found in Alexander). It's basically a trap DA use, kind of like Lightspeed for AST in how weird/bad it is. Carve and Spit returning 1/2 a DA on a 60s CD is really bad. If they either let it restore TP or a full DA it might not be so bad, but they'd have to increase the DA potency to match the opportunity cost or change how DA works on it. Dark Passenger also costing MP is very strange and I'm not sure why they decided to specifically punish DRK for using an oGCD when I don't think any other class has a major resource cost for an oGCD (excluding the monk GL3 dump move, I guess?). Plus having their threat combo both do nothing extra and be less potency than the Delirium combo might require a little bit of rethinking.

And Grit should definitely not cost ~23% of one of our resources or be on the GCD. Of all the things about DRK that is weird/questionable, that is probably the most bullshit one. Plus they really need to fix the client/server mana weirdness.

vvvv
The burst healing is pretty impressive, yeah. DA souleater may work out to be more healing throughout the fight (not sure), but that's not really what I'd want out of a self heal.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 12, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I don't think DRK is awful, just mediocre. The 120 second TP sustain in current gear for off tanking is pretty top tier garbage. I'd be less unhappy if it was at least 180 seconds, or Blood Weapon restored 100 TP on use or something. Dark Mind needing DA to be truly good against any magic busters is a bit meh, but I can live with that. DA Dark Dance being evasion instead of extra parry chance is really questionable, though, since you can't dodge tank busters from raid bosses (as far as I've found in Alexander). It's basically a trap DA use, kind of like Lightspeed for AST in how weird/bad it is. Carve and Spit returning 1/2 a DA on a 60s CD is really bad. If they either let it restore TP or a full DA it might not be so bad, but they'd have to increase the DA potency to match the opportunity cost or change how DA works on it. Dark Passenger also costing MP is very strange and I'm not sure why they decided to specifically punish DRK for using an oGCD when I don't think any other class has a major resource cost for an oGCD (excluding the monk GL3 dump move, I guess?). Plus having their threat combo both do nothing extra and be less potency than the Delirium combo might require a little bit of rethinking.

And Grit should definitely not cost ~23% of one of our resources or be on the GCD. Of all the things about DRK that is weird/questionable, that is probably the most bullshit one. Plus they really need to fix the client/server mana weirdness.

I'm not a big fan of how Paladin and Warrior both have ways to dump 6-8k of self-heal on pretty short intervals when needed, but all I have is Souleater.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ciaphas posted:

What did people realize about MCH that improved perception of them, exactly?

(I still dislike them because RNG on whether you're allowed to do the basic combo is butts)

literally just learning how to dps on them. doing 900 dps while providing a 5% damage bonus for physical or magical, 5% damage reduction for either, the usual tp/mp restore, and having a silence or a stun on a ranged class is pretty good, plus they have top tier aoe. That, and people found out BRD is worse and you want at least one in a group, so

Also people got over the "OH NO ITS RANDOM" of their main rotation. my retort to that argument that they're bad because they're random is

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 12, 2015

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

DRK is mediocre for everything except MT DPS.

Lots of weird decisions floating around the job, out of all three new ones it's the middle of the road/average one. Out of all three of the tanks it's probably the weakest party contribution wise.

I think DRK is most of the way there to being a good tank. They've got a niche in "absolutely bonkers emnity generation", though I'm not sure how valuable that is. Msybe if there were some fights that forced emnity management as an issue? Or they got some skills that let them 'spend' emnity to do stuff.

I think they're going to get a boost to their life drain type skills, maybe some additional life drain stuff, to address their current iffy durability. Behaving like there's a third healer in the party would make for a distinct route of durability from the WAR and PLD.

Edit: Speaking of tanking styles, anyone hoping a proper Evasion tank gets added eventually? Dunban in Xenoblade was a lot of fun. I know it's hard to balance, but I'd love to see it done right.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 12, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It doesn't use TP but a skill like geirskogul is still draining a resource, that is your 30% buff to two other off GCD skills.
There seems to be something similar with a lot of the new skills for people.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Failboattootoot posted:

I disagree. Maybe I am bad but I put out 950 dps at ilvl 176 while smn, mnk, blm and drg are doing 1100+ at i180. Unless the scaling gets really funky I don't think the discrepancy should be that big. AE in particular feels like it's fallen really fall behind.

I also feel like my Ninja damage isn't as good as it was before, but I also wonder if that isn't because most of my new skills haven't been damage-dealers, at least not directly.

Smart Car posted:

They should add a spell like "Scan" to Scholars. You cast it on an enemy and it scans their resistances/immunities and your pet now "knows" that certain abilities won't work on them. This could actually allow the pets to be more autonomous and give the Scholar more time to do awesome scholar stuff.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I like the idea of utility classes but it seems really hard to balance for the way this game is set up. I mean how exactly do you handle DPS checks for light vs. full parties? It would make more sense to spread a diminishing party buff than apply a static debuff on the enemy, but even then you run into an issue if there's another utility class in the party.

At some point you have to leave them over or under powered I think. Letting RNG decide seems like a fair way to handle it?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I only now just got around to reading the live letter and stumbled across some cool and/or silly things I figured I'd share some of the things I haven't noticed other people posting yet.

quote:

Q33. When are you planning to unlock new ranks for Grand Companies?
A33. We’re currently planning Grand Company-related content, so we believe we’ll release new ranks when adding this content. It’s not fun moving into the next rank just by collecting something, so we think it’s good timing to add new types of content when releasing the ranks.

Q39. Are you planning to increase the rank of our companion chocobos?
A39. We do not have any plans for this at the moment. We currently planning for new content that utilizes chocobos and magitek armor, and we will be making adjustments for this.

Q43. Will Tataru ever create gear for us players?
A43. It may be that she didn't have a high enough crafting skill to make gear which Warriors of Light can wear. If it becomes available, please don't store Tataru's gear right away.

Q64. Can you make it possible to share a house with our Eternal Bond partner?
A64. While this is not limited to Eternal Bond partners, we are planning to implement a system in Patch 3.1 for housemates. You'll be able to enjoy decorating, raising chocobos, and gardening together.

Grand Company advancement quests? Tataru crafted PC gear!? Moving in with your cattewife!? New content that involves the magictek armour mount!

Cool poo poo all around.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Just unlocked Alex, can someone explain the loot system for me?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Verranicus posted:

Just unlocked Alex, can someone explain the loot system for me?

Each item that drops corresponds to a piece of gear. Lens = helm, spring = legs, shaft = body and so on. Accessories and belt take 1 token. Gloves, head, and feet take two. Chest/legs take 4.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

And you get to hope for the right token to drop and to win the roll against the other 7 people who also wish they could stop running that floor of Alex for the week.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

[Fat Chocobo][Just used it]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJugrJsYKl4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dang and I thought I'd seen it all when I was in the Hinterlands Bridge.

• Locked thread