Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Crystael posted:

For anyone who regularly rides/races with a HRM monitor (as I do, as well as a number of others in this thread), a delay or lag in heart rate is normal - if you put in a big attack (incidentally 2 seconds at 1000w isn't a big deal - I can do that), then you wouldn't see that reflected in the heart rate until roughly 10 seconds later.

However, the heart rate barely changing in his attacks is really odd. I've no idea what that could indicate, doping or otherwise. I can only think that he must have been riding close to his max heart rate already, and therefore even a big attack would barely raise that. Being able to ride that close to max heart rate for so long is pretty strange, though, but does it indicate doping? I don't know.

The problem is, we've not got anything to compare it with. As the Science of Sport post said, transparency cannot be a bad thing - we simply don't know, or have a representative sample of what an elite cyclist's data climbing Ventoux should look like. What I do know is that 388w for the duration of Ventoux is, on the surface, a legitimate figure.

I would love to see power and heart rate data overlays during live broadcasts and, if teams have nothing to hide, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it (well there are reasons, but in the interests of transparency I think they should forsake them).

At the very least this is yet another Sky PR disaster!

Good post. I also considered that is HR/power telemetry tech from 2003 so who knows how good that was. If I get spikes and lags with my HR monitor in 2015 with brand new tech, I can imagine it was much less accurate over short bursts back then. I don't know what any of this means but it is funny to watch how much people hate Froome in here. I definitely don't get cycling threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

he1ixx posted:

Good post. I also considered that is HR/power telemetry tech from 2003 so who knows how good that was. If I get spikes and lags with my HR monitor in 2015 with brand new tech, I can imagine it was much less accurate over short bursts back then. I don't know what any of this means but it is funny to watch how much people hate Froome in here. I definitely don't get cycling threads.

It's from 2013.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

he1ixx posted:

I definitely don't get cycling threads.

Lol if you are not literally making GBS threads yourself with pure anger that someone is obviously doping in a field full of people doping

Unless it's a rider everyone likes then it's ok

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

he1ixx posted:

It's from the last time he won the Tour.... Regardless of him being a doper or not what about his racing is fun to watch to you? Ultimately you want to be entertained and he's just boring to watch. This one data point doesn't crucify him, it's just odd. If there was transparency with the sports data it would be much easier to see how much of an outlier it is in perspective.

serious gaylord posted:

This is the year he gets done isnt it?

They should probably grab Contadors data too, that would be an interesting comparison.

Look at the science of sports stuff on their website. Thy have some posts up from when Contador had that crazy climb in 2009.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So to talk about todays stage instead.

Quintana to go balls out attack? Or will Valverde shoot off up the front to give him a hand? Will Froome ride away with both middle fingers up to the peloton?

No idea whats going to happen on this climb.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Valverde sux and will get dropped. The Sky train will catapult Froome up the hill and he will get the win.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Something tells me we won't see any fireworks from Froome today.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Some strong Froome mythology going on here.

quote:

Physiology
Froome appears to have a physiology superior to fellow athletes. His resting heart rate is as low as 29 beats per minute, while his 30-minute power output in the peak form before winning the 2013 Tour de France was 459 watts.[137]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome#Physiology

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Barguil's done.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Barguil looks like hes just done his collar bone. Didn't see how he went down.

Edit: he was being a fanny, just road rash.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Vaughters is saying his V02 Max must be in excess of 90ml/kg/min :vince:

Some of the pro cross-country skiing guys (Who are insane) have VO2 Max that approaches 100. It's not impossible, just really loving unusual.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Why is Giant not sending down some riders to help Barguil?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's from 2013.
oops. Typo. The point stands though.

Skarsnik posted:

Lol if you are not literally making GBS threads yourself with pure anger that someone is obviously doping in a field full of people doping

Unless it's a rider everyone likes then it's ok
Yes, exactly. Contador for example who was already caught doping, served a ban but hey whatever.

vikingstrike posted:

It's from the last time he won the Tour.... Regardless of him being a doper or not what about his racing is fun to watch to you? Ultimately you want to be entertained and he's just boring to watch. This one data point doesn't crucify him, it's just odd. If there was transparency with the sports data it would be much easier to see how much of an outlier it is in perspective.

Look at the science of sports stuff on their website. Thy have some posts up from when Contador had that crazy climb in 2009.

I agree the transparency would be great. I am not saying it wouldn't help. They probably are loathe to do it since each blip in the data will be used to prove whatever side of the argument people tend to agree with (like all data).

I am probably an outlier in that I am just entertained by bike racing in general. Froome and co are consistent and clockwork and he sucks and is supposedly boring to watch. VanGarderen (who I rarely see mentioned on here) is consistent and solid and is doing great this year. Is he terrible too? I don't see people demanding he ride into a ravine.

The only rider I really don't like is Bouhhani. That guy seems like a geniune rear end in a top hat of a human being.

Hope VanGarderen takes the stage today. Also hope to see Hesjedal show up at some point too.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Barguil looks like hes just done his collar bone. Didn't see how he went down.

Edit: he was being a fanny, just road rash.

Looked more like his knee

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I don't like Contador very much either, but to me it actually helps that he's been busted before. The cat's out of the bag basically. Whereas with Froome there's a real possibility he'll never be busted, and that just grates on my nerves. Plus, Contador doesn't look like a retard on a trike going up mountains.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dude what do you think has happened in 24 months in HR tech? It's not like this was recorded in the 1980s. There are issues with HR tech getting accurate readings at times but it's not like 2013 is the dark ages.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any tours that have banned computers?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Vimeo mirror of the clip that was taken down

https://vimeo.com/133412409

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Tejay doesn't have a resume anywhere near the other guys that get talked about most. Not sure he has ever won anything of note in Europe before.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Hegay posted:

Vimeo mirror of the clip that was taken down

https://vimeo.com/133412409

Lmbo, I forgot about the guy with the wild boar under his arm.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Paddyb posted:

Lmbo, I forgot about the guy with the wild boar under his arm.

Rewatching Froome seated blasting by Quintana makes me so angry lol

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
If frooome was so biologically superior, why does he basically not race anything else the year round? Does a gt tune up race, a gt, and that's about it. You hardly hear his name anywhere else.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 14, 2015

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

To put it in context, a lot of people have been through this the first time around with Armstrong.

Team Sky arrived on the scene just as the unbelievable performances started calming down, they claim to be the cleanest most transparent team ever, then take a donkey and turned him into a GT winner. The cards are being set out the same as with Lance, lies and mistruths about new techniques, healthy eating, training harder, it's all trumpeted as fact by a bunch of sycophantic journos and media to be lapped up by unquestioning nationalistic Brits.

Further back in the thread (I don't recommend reading it) during the Giro the same people were talking poo poo about Astana, Van Avermaet during the classics, last year was just as bad with Nibali, no rider gets off free, but precisely because no one else calls Sky and Froome on their poo poo there is such a reaction in forums. No one believes the GT contenders are on bread and water but they aren't doing a song and a dance about how they're clean talking about beetroot juice, gluten free diets and optimised pillows. It's insulting to the intelligence of fans and they've no reason to swallow it with a smile.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

quote:

Among other suspicious revelations in the news about Froome's Ventoux climb were revelations about Froome's testing history at Sky.

In an article in "The Guardian", linked earlier in this thread, it is stated that Team Sky has never tested Froome's V02 max. "Team Sky have never measured Froome's VO2Max – his maximal level of oxygen intake during exercise – but [Frederic] Grappe concludes that this must be "close to currently known physiological limits …"(http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jul/18/team-sky-chris-froome-data).
It goes without saying that it would be malpractice for Team Sky Management to contract a rider with as varied a history as Froome's, without a full battery of physiological tests, including tests of his VO2 max. How else could Team Sky identified the Bilharzia-addled Barloworld rider as a potential contributor, let alone future star, without this crucial information? Shouldn't Froome have since undergone multiple VO2 max tests at Team Sky?

Lol c'mon, it's just so blatant obvious. I wouldn't give a poo poo if he weren't such a boring rider, but he has poo poo for brains and spends entire rides just looking at his watt meter

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hegay posted:

Rewatching Froome seated blasting by Quintana makes me so angry lol

See this is the kind of stuff that makes this thread so ridiculous

He stood up to pass Quintana. Its right there in the video

At this point you're just seeing what you want to see

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Hold on a sec. Is someone proposing the best athletes in the world have really good physiology?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Withnail posted:

Hold on a sec. Is someone proposing the best athletes in the world have really good physiology?

Sky claiming they have never tested Froome's V02 max is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hegay posted:

Looked more like his knee

I didnt see him go down but he was on the grass with his arm across thats classic collar bone. Either way hes back up and managed to chase back on during the piss break.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gibbo posted:

If frooome was so biologically superior, why does he basically not race anything else the year round? Does a gt tune up race, a gt, and that's about it. You hardly hear his name anywhere else.

Nah he ran a pretty normal schedule, did two early season races, Fleche Wallone and then two of the three major tour warm ups.

And he's also done Vuelta three or so times I think.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Wild-Pigman is just a smokescreen. Wake up sheeple!!!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When are they hoping to catch the break, about 1/3 of the way up the climb?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

When are they hoping to catch the break, about 1/3 of the way up the climb?

They'll bring it down to around 5 minutes before the final climb and then the gap will just disappear the second they start attacking.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Quick question, since I did get a chance to watch the video.

How does anybody know that some guy with iMovie didn't just overlay some fluctuating numbers over the video? I saw nothing there to indicate that the data was from actual telemetry. I'm not defending anybody, but I didn't see anything conclusive to crucify Froome over.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Because the data is out there to look at.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
And the way Sky reacted does not seem to indicate that the data is just something someone made up

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Also Team Sky all but confirmed it was real with the "someone stole his data and is trying to frame him with it!!" argument, didn't they?

Greipel's back in green. Nice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Some great teamwork by Lotto there to nick the points off Sagan.

The gap is tumbling now.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I bet Matias Frank is the first GC team leader to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Finally on a stage that looks pretty.