Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Average Bear posted:

Does CK2 run any better now? They said something about engine optimization

I started in 867 and for the first two decades it was extremely fast, then it took a nosedive for whatever reason and is now a little worse than it was previously. So yeah, it was bull, as far as I can tell. The nomad stuff is cool tho, although hampered by CK's fundamentally lovely warfare system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

According to the CK2 thread, If you start as Ghengis Khan, the mongol invasion event fires and puts hostile soldiers in your lands.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/temujin-just-got-invaded-by-a-massive-mongol-stack.870005/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

that's groogy

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Wiz sighs as he unsheathes his 2000 word post about how paradox bug tests their games.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Average Bear posted:

Wiz sighs as he unsheathes his 2000 word post about how paradox bug tests their games.

I don't think anyone at paradox cares about CK2 now that they've broken it and have bigger things on the horizon.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

im the strait

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

KoldPT posted:

im the strait

that's good, because historically, the byzantine empire had an easy time keeping hold of its rump italian territory. it's wonderful. really provides a valuable gameplay function.

e: I guess I'm talking about the strait of otranto situation. if you're talking about the lovely pointless island south of that, then, uh... at least they merged corfu into epirus...?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

KoldPT posted:

im the strait

You are not straight at all.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

All the Greek island sshould be separate

strong bird
May 12, 2009

gently caress boats

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

strong bird posted:

gently caress boats

Kantai Collection is not a mapgame!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What army composition for hordes. I tried 80% Calvary but all my infantry got killed in a battle but my calv where untouched and made the troll face before being stack wiped by an army the same size.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Changed to constitutional monarchy as a big byz... big mistake. What a loving mess the parliament system is. Hm yeah I'll bribe each of these seats 50 mp each to get +10% trade efficiency for 10 years. Oh yeah, give me that good rear end +2% stab cost increase for each of the 35 seats. I'm a big loving homo with AIDS.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Changed to constitutional monarchy as a big byz... big mistake. What a loving mess the parliament system is. Hm yeah I'll bribe each of these seats 50 mp each to get +10% trade efficiency for 10 years. Oh yeah, give me that good rear end +2% stab cost increase for each of the 35 seats. I'm a big loving homo with AIDS.

the scaling is all f*cked up, IMHO.

e: unless it's supposed to be unusuable for large nations? would be nice if the game warned you, if so...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

e: unless it's supposed to be unusuable for large nations? would be nice if the game warned you, if so...

this is basically the idea, parliaments are meant for small countries optionally with large overseas empires. apparently someone at paradox believes that all large nations need a despot in order to not fall apart which i guess might be the case for the time period.

e: the fact the game doesn't tell you this is really dumb i agree. in fact they should probably restrict constitutional government types to countries below a certain province number because there's basically no upside to using one as a big empire

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

BBJoey posted:

this is basically the idea, parliaments are meant for small countries optionally with large overseas empires. apparently someone at paradox believes that all large nations need a despot in order to not fall apart which i guess might be the case for the time period.

e: the fact the game doesn't tell you this is really dumb i agree. in fact they should probably restrict constitutional government types to countries below a certain province number because there's basically no upside to using one as a big empire

I switched to one in my ceylon game, and it didn't cripple me pretty much only because I was too big to care about anything at that point. So many seats......

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the CK2 DLC because I have AIDS. I will report back on whether it's even worth playing the update, let alone buying it.

I'm glad they did this

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 15, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no penalties for holding tribal territory or having tribal vassals that is your same culture. Also, tribal vassals don't count towards your vassal limit, and nobody cares what you do to wrong religion tribals.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

There's no penalties for holding tribal territory or having tribal vassals that is your same culture. Also, tribal vassals don't count towards your vassal limit, and nobody cares what you do to wrong religion tribals.

That's actually a pretty good change.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nomads get wrong holding penalty with everything but at the same time, all vassals are basically dirt that they can kick around and clans don't count towards the limit. They can also pillage holdings for gold and tech, which destroys builds and after one or two uses, destroys the holding, which gives you more max population/manpower so you can have a bigger horse army. I'm going to torch the whole steppe and reform Tengri and see how horrible settling as Feudal will be. It lets me keep all my land, converts culture and religion around my new capital, and gives me event troops, but it'll leave my massive steppe horde intact and now they're my neighbor.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That's actually fairly interesting gameplay... I'm impressed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being a nomad is epic because you get like no tax income but raiding/pillaging is insanely powerful so I'm super rich and my 2 martial piece of poo poo ruler has several thousand piety and prestige from kicking heretics asses and stealing their poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh and they added forts, which if you are certain gov types (i think everything but nomad and tribal?) lets you occupy nomadic no-holding land without troops and negate pagan homeland attrition for 20 gold a province. Not sure if they stay after a war is over or not

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I did it by 812 from the 769 start.

But it gave me nogovernment which is basically being nomad but for some reason it lets me build everything. So it's bugged and I probably have to wait for a hotfix to keep playing this save. Epic

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 15, 2015

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You are not straight at all.

im not

PleasingFungus posted:

that's good, because historically, the byzantine empire had an easy time keeping hold of its rump italian territory. it's wonderful. really provides a valuable gameplay function.

e: I guess I'm talking about the strait of otranto situation. if you're talking about the lovely pointless island south of that, then, uh... at least they merged corfu into epirus...?

I've never really liked too many straits in paradox games. they always feel like a concession to the fact that the AI can't handle naval game as well, and ck2 doesn't really have a naval game

i've kinda gotten all i want out of ck2 forever though so :shrug:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Larry Parrish posted:

I did it by 812 from the 769 start.

But it gave me nogovernment which is basically being nomad but for some reason it lets me build everything. So it's bugged and I probably have to wait for a hotfix to keep playing this save. Epic

i always liked the phrasing "the Cross and the Moon"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Average Bear posted:

Does CK2 run any better now? They said something about engine optimization

Apparently they fixed a bug where all the greek characters were constantly asking the engine if they could castrate and blind each other.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That was ages ago

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-1-zxpb.869869/

It's in yesterday's patch notes, but I guess that was ages ago. Still hilarious, them greeks i tell ya

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I know I heard that problem way back when I read the CK2 thread, which was months ago. If they just fixed it now thats pathetic

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
it's a paradox

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
- Women can now gain the Crusader trait under the same circumstances that men do.

Absolute Cognatic Messalian/Cathar is about a million times more fun now

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the pro opening move for Poland? I started a game and used the conquer western Prussia mission to take those provinces and made them release Danzig who I quickly diplo vassaled and fed the Prussian culture stuff to. I also gave neumark to Brandenburg for fun.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

is there a reason that rebels are loving retarded? just saw a situation where 24000 bulgarian rebels rose up in lithuania's 4-province bulgarian exclave. there was a single lithuanian unit of 1000 infantry in the exclave (which hadno forts). the rebels would always move to where the lithuanians weren't despite having a 24:1 advantage. in addition, after taking a province the rebels would wait for a month for no reason. that meant that the 1000 lithuanians, not having to worry about being attacked, could follow one province behind the rebels to retake each province while the rebels dicked around for a month in their newly taken territory. eventually the sole ottoman province that the rebels had captured declared indpendence and that was that, revolt's over, lithuanians win. why the gently caress do rebels not attack enemy armies when they are guaranteed a victory, and why do they spend a month celebrating whenever they take a province?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm gonna try this thread poster DICKHEAD's vicky 2 mod that balkanizes the entire earth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I do wish you got SOME points back when ditching an idea group. Just to make it a more interesting option. Countries change overtime!

Jabarto posted:

You do realize that you get 10% of the invested points back, right?

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't ! Now it doesn't feel quite as wasteful. I was giving my self back some points though... about 10%.

maybe if he actually paid attention to the game he wouldn't have to cheat so much to get anything done

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BBJoey posted:

maybe if he actually paid attention to the game he wouldn't have to cheat so much to get anything done

i don't care

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Another Person posted:

I sent my son out to be a mercenary, and he seemed to be having a sick time. He had spent some 10 years away, doing his thing, gaining prestige.

I declared war on the guys who hold Armenia, and went into battle on the front lines myself, with my staggering 5 martial. I pull up to the front, and some hardened warrior comes forward too. We both engage, and despite the overwhelming odds against my own personal ability, I slay him from my horse. I get off to inspect the dead, and see no other than my son, Ezra, dead before me.

That is some hosed up movie poo poo.

e: proof

badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm gonna try this thread poster DICKHEAD's vicky 2 mod that balkanizes the entire earth

Play as Wisconsin.