Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

RatHat posted:

Too bad Not-Star Platinum does completely horrible damage.

He's not supposed to do damage, that's what your what, 13-length long Stardust Dragon is for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Why do I insist on making big bases before I start hardmode? :smithicide:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: wait, the left side! You're saved! Room for 5 more

Bravo :golfclap:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LightningSquid posted:

Why do I insist on making big bases before I start hardmode? :smithicide:

You know most people at least try to pretend they aren't making an NPC prison when they design their houses.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Hey, I gave them all swanky rooms on my last run. This time, they get to suffer.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Can you put furniture on top of trap doors? I kinda want to put everyone's chair above a trap door with a lava pool below and have all the trap doors wired up to one lever. Every once in a while just end everyone on a whim.

If trap doors don't work then actuators should do fine, although it won't be quite as stylish.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LightningSquid posted:

Hey, I gave them all swanky rooms on my last run. This time, they get to suffer.

Don't forget to bring in some of the hanging skeletons from the dungeon, for that proper oubliette feel.

I'm thinking... a proper fortress of doom needs a self destruct, right? I should plant explosives everywhere and link them to a lever in the throne room.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone had trouble with blood moons occurring? we've had maybe 80 days on this world with none yet

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Verviticus posted:

has anyone had trouble with blood moons occurring? we've had maybe 80 days on this world with none yet

It's probably just random luck. I started a new world strictly to break orbs and get meteorite ore for making blocks, got a blood moon first night and a goblin invasion the next morning. No merchant, no chests to store things in, I just had a field around my initial spawn covered in shackles, lenses, and spiked balls.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Just beat WoF for the first time and got into hardmode. I've been smashing up some altars and all that to get more ores but I'm kinda curious, where should I be heading next?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Apparition posted:

Just beat WoF for the first time and got into hardmode. I've been smashing up some altars and all that to get more ores but I'm kinda curious, where should I be heading next?

work your way up to adamantite/titanium gear, making sure to make a new pick for each 'new ore' tier so you can mine the better ones. that stuff will pretty much become your baseline of what you want for the next set of bosses.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

work your way up to adamantite/titanium gear, making sure to make a new pick for each 'new ore' tier so you can mine the better ones. that stuff will pretty much become your baseline of what you want for the next set of bosses.

You're going to be spelunking for the new ores again. Once you get mythril/orichalcum, the best place to find titanium/adamantite is actually the roof of hell - hell, ironically, is the safest place in the world in hardmode.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

So are crimson mimics worth farming for the drain spell or is the regen/damage combo from it pretty worthless against a boss like plantera? Assuming it's not just lovely in general.

For an early hard mode magic spell, the damage is okay considering it's about a bomb-sized AoE that's centered around your cursor for as long as you hold down the mouse button, provided you have line of sight to the target. But the life regeneration is breathtakingly bad; you probably won't notice it at all just draining one enemy, and you might be up roughly ~10 HP if you manage to damage and kill a few enemies at a time with it.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do fishing quest rewards change on expert? I'm reading the wiki and it says I was supposed to get the rabbit pet at my 5th quest but I just got it on my 10th quest. Is this some bug or what?

EDIT: I can get reaver sharks all day but never see a rockfish, am I not deep enough underground to find them? I am in the layer that has the black rocks as the background which I thought was the caverns.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 19, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Dareon posted:

It's probably just random luck. I started a new world strictly to break orbs and get meteorite ore for making blocks, got a blood moon first night and a goblin invasion the next morning. No merchant, no chests to store things in, I just had a field around my initial spawn covered in shackles, lenses, and spiked balls.

idk after this much time its like a 0.004% chance

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Good morning, and welcome to Things That Suck. Today: Going to add on to the base you've had for close to three years, and discovering you built it lopsided. :negative:

I've ripped that whole treasure room and clothes showcase at the top out in order to expand and rebuild with better planning/in better materials. I built it to have one-block symmetry with that five-wide entry shaft right in the middle. Instead, one side is a block too big or too small.

It's just one block, but that means if I want to fix the symmetry, I need to rip a column of blocks off of somewhere.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dareon posted:

Good morning, and welcome to Things That Suck. Today: Going to add on to the base you've had for close to three years, and discovering you built it lopsided. :negative:

I've ripped that whole treasure room and clothes showcase at the top out in order to expand and rebuild with better planning/in better materials. I built it to have one-block symmetry with that five-wide entry shaft right in the middle. Instead, one side is a block too big or too small.

It's just one block, but that means if I want to fix the symmetry, I need to rip a column of blocks off of somewhere.

Embrace it! Add another floor that skews in the opposite direction. Zigzaggy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of THings That Suck, I've discovered that I think I lost my Moonstone. :saddowns:

Well, I need another eclipse anyway to get a second hero blade.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

This is a picture of just the main base of our multiplayer world. We have gotten pretty carried away. That thing at the bottom is the teleporter network.

You'll probably need to open the image in a new tab to see its horrible glory.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Granite seems to be everyone's favorite building material.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It has a pretty good dark and ominous feel.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HopperUK posted:

Embrace it! Add another floor that skews in the opposite direction. Zigzaggy.

I wound up expanding the short side, which fortunately was the right side and the easier one to do, I didn't have to muck about with the living wood room or the dryad's waterfall.

Also, has anyone else found this to be really common nowadays?

Just a whole bunch of altars at the bottom of the ocean, right up against the edge. Had similar setups in three of the worlds I've generated, and might have it in a fourth, but I haven't gone to the ocean in that one yet.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Goddamn, Moon Lord is easy with 114 def, regen poo poo and a wall around you.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I got this game on sale and I'm doing ok, but is there some gadget that will display the name of the current biome you are in ?

I have a hard time farming souls of light and end up with these very tiny hallow biomes or its very hard to discern.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Sylink posted:

I got this game on sale and I'm doing ok, but is there some gadget that will display the name of the current biome you are in ?

I have a hard time farming souls of light and end up with these very tiny hallow biomes or its very hard to discern.

Should have a specific hallow music on the background and lots of pink monsters. Also make sure you're underground (I believe you only get Souls of Light/Night underground).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sylink posted:

If you can see crystal's growing on the walls you are in a good spot. Most of the enemies that spawn in that biome are also like glowing pink and stuff.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Sylink posted:

you can get hair dye that does that, or just look at the color of the water. the background of the caverns will also change when you are in an actual underground hallow.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Make some holy water and splash it around a neutral cave system.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PSA

Don't play the game during thunderstorms cause a power outage during gameplay will corrupt your save.

:negative: 40 hours gone.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Seditiar posted:

Goddamn, Moon Lord is easy with 114 def, regen poo poo and a wall around you.

You really only need it above you to block the laser beams, maybe to the sides too to block the hand bullets.

Does moon man always drop his weapons one after another? I got all of his weapon drops one after the other with no dupes

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jusupov posted:

You really only need it above you to block the laser beams, maybe to the sides too to block the hand bullets.

Does moon man always drop his weapons one after another? I got all of his weapon drops one after the other with no dupes

I've gotten 4 Star Swords after 4 kills so no.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Nope, got 2 Star Wraths and 2 Staves in the first 4 kills.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Deakul posted:

PSA

Don't play the game during thunderstorms cause a power outage during gameplay will corrupt your save.

:negative: 40 hours gone.

That happened to my pre-hardmode world and char. Really glad that I twinked that metal detector.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
30 or so hours in to the game and still no sign of a lost girl. I'm glad to see the rod of discord is also still in the "lol go gently caress yourself" category too. :suicide:

Are there any items/potions that boost drop rates from enemies? Didn't notice one but hoping I missed something. Even a 0 def hardmode armor set that boosts drop rates would be fine at this point.

RatHat posted:

No, probes are just kinda rare. What I did was I put a Water Candle on a sky island, popped a Battle potion, and then held another Water Candle and waited.

I didn't think placing and holding water candles stacked since 1.2 or so? If a character holding the candle stacks with a placed one can multiple characters hold them to stack it further?

Apparition posted:

Kill (underground) ice enemies for an amarok yoyo and find the skeleton merchant to buy a yoyo glove+counterweight and make the yoyo bag. Then go kill a hallow mimic for the bow drop (i guess) and you're set on weapons for the mech bosses.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Evil Fluffy posted:

30 or so hours in to the game and still no sign of a lost girl. I'm glad to see the rod of discord is also still in the "lol go gently caress yourself" category too. :suicide:

Are there any items/potions that boost drop rates from enemies? Didn't notice one but hoping I missed something. Even a 0 def hardmode armor set that boosts drop rates would be fine at this point.

Being on expert doubles drop rates and Lost Girls can spawn pre-hardmode, so I guess make an expert world if you don't already have one and explore.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Any strategies for the lunatic cultist? I've got full beetle armor, and no matter what I do I feel like I just can't loving hit him, he kills me by the time I get him one quarter of the way down.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I figured that since I got to hard mode a year or so ago, that I would be fine to just start fresh on expert and solo everything.

Not the best idea in the world, though I am slowly progressing. Now I've hit the brain of cthulhu and can't seem to get him down. Any suggestions?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Internet Kraken posted:

Granite seems to be everyone's favorite building material.

You get plenty from killing granite enemies, and that alone makes it perfectly renewable too. I wish marble could be gathered similarly without having to mine it and destroy the biomes in the process. :(

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
250+ Cursed Skull kills, no Nazar :negative:. I did find out they can drop Cascades though, so at least I got 3 of those before heading into hardmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Invisible Ted posted:

Any strategies for the lunatic cultist? I've got full beetle armor, and no matter what I do I feel like I just can't loving hit him, he kills me by the time I get him one quarter of the way down.

Cosmic car key. Having unrestricted movement is ideal for both dodging his attacks and reaching him to hit him.