Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
You know, I half expected when IJN carriers came out that Japan would have the better fighters and the US would have the better bombers. Turns out, it looks like it's the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Cythereal posted:

American and Japanese destroyers play very differently. Japanese destroyers rely on their torpedoes as their primary weapons, US destroyers use them opportunistically. Japanese destroyers as such do better against big game if you're good with torpedoes, US destroyers are the premier destroyer hunters and can do a reasonable job against light cruisers and carriers with their guns alone, but their torpedoes aren't as good.

Pretty much this. I really like playing my Minekaze. I prefer the faster torpedoes with a 7km range. The Minekaze has a visibility range for ships at 5.9km so as long as you're 5.9km from any enemy ships you can fling salvos of torpedoes completely undetected. This holds true for most of the IJN DDs. You'll make BB's hesitant of moving into areas with islands. I love it when I get a game with zero USN DDs.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Insert name here posted:

Lmbo if you somehow manage to get your rear end torped in a cruiser that has a skill that literally turns the torpedo spread into a 90 degree spread

A skill that has a cooldown, and sometimes you get put in games with :siren:2:siren: carriers.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

El Disco posted:

A skill that has a cooldown, and sometimes you get put in games with :siren:2:siren: carriers.

if there are two carriers surely there's a second or even third cruiser on your team!!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

rossmum posted:

Watch chat, and look at the positioning of the Fuso who keeps calling me useless as I hopelessly try to fight off superior numbers.

It was some pretty poor play from me but holy loving Jesus Christ this guy is just the ultimate :psyboom:
Everyone should watch that replay. That guy is Dunning-Kruger personified, holy poo poo. The best part is when he kills the 120hp Omaha.

Sidenote: Do you use a crosshair mod? Watching your replays with an unmodded client, I'm amazed you ever hit anything without zooming in farther than you do while aiming.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

KcDohl posted:

if there are two carriers surely there's a second or even third cruiser on your team!!

And then you should surely have some DDs on your team, so you won't even get bombed because they will go kill the CVs! And your DDs wont die, because you surely have Cruisers on your team to keep them alive! And and and pubbies to save the day!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grrarg posted:

Everyone should watch that replay. That guy is Dunning-Kruger personified, holy poo poo. The best part is when he kills the 120hp Omaha.

Sidenote: Do you use a crosshair mod? Watching your replays with an unmodded client, I'm amazed you ever hit anything without zooming in farther than you do while aiming.

I hear a lot about modding this game. Is there any good advice on what sorts of quality of life stuff works and how to put it in?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
ijn_battleships.jpg

grrarg posted:

Nope. I have a really good memory for lead, which is why I'm so pissed off it now zooms to maximum by default - I learned to lead at minimum zoom. At the very least they could make the stadia scale with zoom.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
I remember someone posted a big write-up on the captains skills, but now I can't find it (212 pages :argh:). Does anyone have a direct link to the post?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Or a carrier player just ignores you for 50 seconds then come back.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Panfilo posted:

Demolition Expert- 3% is nothing, and HE shells might as well be called Napalm Shells at this point anyway. Might be better if they ever nerf the hell out of HE shell fire chance. Otherwise, crap.

Even 1% is high when you are shooting frequently, an extra 3% is really good. so assuming the base fire probability is 2% (probably higher?) we can compare it to 5%.

the math: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution
the common classroom example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Fire probability is based on ship type using HE. Its highest with Battleships, lowest with Destroyers (I think).

The thing is, the chance of fire is already really high with a cruiser or destroyer. 3% more isn't much more.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You're forgetting the fact that Damage Control negates 5% chance of fire. But yes 3% higher chance helps greatly if your RoF is high (eg. Atlanta)

Also anyone know if Damage Control and Fire Prevention stack? Didn't feel like they stack but not sure.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aesis posted:

You're forgetting the fact that Damage Control negates 5% chance of fire. But yes 3% higher chance helps greatly if your RoF is high (eg. Atlanta)

Also anyone know if Damage Control and Fire Prevention stack? Didn't feel like they stack but not sure.

That's true, but apparently Atlanta's chance of fire is offset by its higher rate of fire. It has the lowest chance in the game.

My guess is they took how many shells you could land in a 1 minute period, and adjusted the % chance of fire for a given ship type accordingly so each ship class has more or less the 'same' chance based on its rate of fire. Battleships have the highest (like 24% per shell) because they can only shoot once every 30 seconds.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who are you useless shits that have a hard time hitting things in a battleship? It's not rocket science. Hold down alt while you're zoomed to see the flight time for your shells and then aim accordingly.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What does type 2 camouflage actually do? "-4% to firing accuracy of the enemy attacking your ship", what's that supposed to mean, is their dispersion increased by 4% if they fire while you are targeted?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Who are you useless shits that have a hard time hitting things in a battleship? It's not rocket science. Hold down alt while you're zoomed to see the flight time for your shells and then aim accordingly.
Wait, what? You can do THAT? :negative:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Poil posted:

Wait, what? You can do THAT? :negative:

even better, there's a toggle in the options interface that holds down alt for you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

even better, there's a toggle in the options interface that holds down alt for you.

I knew about Alt but you can do THAT, too?! :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried to disable the auto steering around obstacles but the game still yanks around my steering like crazy if I'm anywhere near a friendly ship. Seriously, it only ends up making things worse. Particularly making me collide with ships I wasn't going to crash into in the first place or more usually making small bumps into long drawn out grinding as the brainless AI helpfully forces my ship alongside theirs INSTEAD OF TURNING AWAY FROM THE loving PUBTUB! :argh: Apparently you also pay higher credit fines for ally damage if you have premium.

yaay posted:

What is it called? For the love of Poseidon don't leave that part out!

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I've never found that being able to see your shell flight time was useful. I look at how far away a ship is, match it up with the notch that has that respective number and aim it at the center of the ship, then depending on the type of ship, I make adjustments to that. If it's an American BB, it needs a lot less lead. If It's a Japanese BB, it'll pretty much be spot-on. If it's a Japanese or American cruiser, it needs a bit more lead, and if it's a destroyer, it needs quite a lot more lead.

When you learn to make your own aiming "presets" in your head and get good at discerning how fast a ship is going, aiming becomes very, very easy.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

Fire probability is based on ship type using HE. Its highest with Battleships, lowest with Destroyers (I think).

The thing is, the chance of fire is already really high with a cruiser or destroyer. 3% more isn't much more.

It depends on the gun. 3% is irrelevant on a battleship with 25% base fire chance, but it's noticeable on ships like Kuma and Japanese destroyers with 12%. It's huge on US destroyers, their base fire chance is only 5% so the skill is a 60% increase.
The skill's effect really just depends on how much HE you shoot per minute, not so much your base fire chance. As long as you don't have four fires going already, it's just a function of how many HE hits you get.

PirateBob posted:

What does type 2 camouflage actually do? "-4% to firing accuracy of the enemy attacking your ship", what's that supposed to mean, is their dispersion increased by 4% if they fire while you are targeted?
It evidently reduces the accuracy of any ship that has you targeted with the X key. In theory you could get around it by not targeting the ship, but it's 4%. Whatever, it's cheap and does "something".

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ok seriously people, is it really that controversial to suggest that sometimes a cruiser is going to get hit by 1-2 air-launched torpedoes and there's not a goddamn thing they can do about it? I've been in situations where two carriers have decided that it was my time, and my choice was to take a hit or die. And those 1-2 torpedoes take a significant chunk of health away.

PirateBob posted:

Pretty much. The -3% to detectabilty camo is great for destroyers and cruisers that are already a bit sneaky (i.e. Kuma). The -4% accuracy camo is great for ships that are going to spend most of their time spotted anyway, like battleships.

rossmum posted:

ijn_battleships.jpg

I'm having a hard time picking out the Yamashiro...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:byodood: Why hasn't anyone created a guide to have the range and speed correspond to the numbers of the 'lead' lines? :byodood:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Poil posted:

'alternative battle interface' under controls

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

:byodood: Why hasn't anyone created a guide to have the range and speed correspond to the numbers of the 'lead' lines? :byodood:

:effort:

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

So I was in my Zuiho, killed an Isokaze with my secondaries while dodging torpedoes, then blocked the 5 ships that were trying to cap.

It's me. I'm that guy.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

I tried to disable the auto steering around obstacles but the game still yanks around my steering like crazy if I'm anywhere near a friendly ship. Seriously, it only ends up making things worse. Particularly making me collide with ships I wasn't going to crash into in the first place or more usually making small bumps into long drawn out grinding as the brainless AI helpfully forces my ship alongside theirs INSTEAD OF TURNING AWAY FROM THE loving PUBTUB! :argh: Apparently you also pay higher credit fines for ally damage if you have premium.

Alt-F4.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ladies and Gentlemen, the shittest post in the thread.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the shittest post in the thread.
Quick, lock the thread!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Two shining examples of Dunning-Kruger in one day! I'm outdoing myself. I had a much better match this time, though, mostly through luck.

Check this guy's stats, since he insists he's such a pro and I need to learn, and contrast them to mine. Hmmmm.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He certainly worked hard to get stats like that. You would really have to.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Well considering he was firing HE at a Kongo from a New Mexico, and he died because it took him so long to finally burn the Kongo that another ship nearby was able to come avenge it, yes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rossmum posted:

Well considering he was firing HE at a Kongo from a New Mexico, and he died because it took him so long to finally burn the Kongo that another ship nearby was able to come avenge it, yes.

How in God's green earth did he have 230 Battleship games and not learn to use AP? Even if you don't Citadel, AP does way more direct damage on a solid hit!

Also, man who never torpedoes the poo poo out of someone is never a whole man.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
Just had a lovely game with an idiot Bogue who rage-:suicide: himself after having his squadrons wiped out by 2 clevelands near enemy carrier

I wish I could report more than 3 times a day, so bad

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

rossmum posted:

Two shining examples of Dunning-Kruger in one day! I'm outdoing myself. I had a much better match this time, though, mostly through luck.

Check this guy's stats, since he insists he's such a pro and I need to learn, and contrast them to mine. Hmmmm.
Turns out "nebbish" is an actual word.

Never thought a Dunning-Kurger would teach me something.

Edit: though the illiterate retard didn't even use the word properly

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 21, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I like to think there's a special level of hell for people who use archaic, uncommon, or overly formal language to sound intelligent and yet cannot nail one of the more basic grammatical principles of what is presumably their native tongue.

I once had to spend 15 minutes explaining the proper use of apostrophes for plural subjects to an ex-teacher because she thought I'd hosed up a report we had to submit for a project. Hell is other people.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I've come to the conclusion that there is no good reason to still be alive in a Cruiser or BB at the 10 minute mark of a match. If I'm still steaming around in my Fuso or Myoki at that point, then I haven't been aggressive enough. My XP and credits an hour have gone up a decent chunk since I start playing like that. Its so much harder to carry in WoWs than in WoT that there doesn't really seem to be a reward for drawing out a match to 19 minutes unless you are absolutely butchering the other team.

El Disco posted:

Ok seriously people, is it really that controversial to suggest that sometimes a cruiser is going to get hit by 1-2 air-launched torpedoes and there's not a goddamn thing they can do about it? I've been in situations where two carriers have decided that it was my time, and my choice was to take a hit or die. And those 1-2 torpedoes take a significant chunk of health away.
Nope, that's pretty much true. You can help it by staying fast and maneuvering when they start to line up on you, but torp bomber torps are going to land sometimes.

cheese fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 21, 2015

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Went on what I accepted was a suicide run using my Isokaze vs. a carrier guarded by a Cleveland today. Turns out it's eminently survivable when the doorknob shoots AP at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cheese posted:

I've come to the conclusion that there is no good reason to still be alive in a Cruiser or BB at the 10 minute mark of a match. If I'm still steaming around in my Fuso or Myoki at that point, then I haven't been aggressive enough. My XP and credits an hour have gone up a decent chunk since I start playing like that. Its so much harder to carry in WoWs than in WoT that there doesn't really seem to be a reward for drawing out a match to 19 minutes unless you are absolutely butchering the other team.

Nope, that's pretty much true. You can help it by staying fast and maneuvering when they start to line up on you, but torp bomber torps are going to land sometimes.

There is - you have many kills and are racing across the map to murderfuck the last nerd.

Then he murders you.