Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yrimir showed how to kill it in 2 seconds, if you are very, very lucky: Ninja gear gives you 10% chance to avoid damage, turtle armor fully reflects dealt damage.

If you get hit twice and it's dodged twice from the ninja accessory, the turtle armor will kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That doesn't work anymore since they buffed its defense.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2015

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

RatHat posted:

That doesn't work anymore since they buffed its defense.

First moon lord cheesing and now the dungeon guardian. Why do they take such weird stances on people playing the game the way they want? It's not like you get something amazing from the guardian - just bragging rights and skeletron pet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I swear it's pretty frustrating sometimes the dev team's no-fun attitude towards weird tricks that most normal players will never run into. Why is it so important to you that one weird youtuber can't use his stupid trick anymore?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mortvert posted:

First moon lord cheesing and now the dungeon guardian. Why do they take such weird stances on people playing the game the way they want? It's not like you get something amazing from the guardian - just bragging rights and skeletron pet.

What do you mean, first. Dungeon Guardian was fixed before Moon Lord even existed.

... and, uh, I think you're missing the point of the Dungeon Guardian. The Bragging Rights is, yknow, bragging rights. He was never intended to be defeatable in the first place. Not sure what you're bragging about if you cheap shot him.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It's pretty hosed up that the developers want people to actually fight the boss they designed instead of stand on spikes and hold m1.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mzbundifund posted:

I swear it's pretty frustrating sometimes the dev team's no-fun attitude towards weird tricks that most normal players will never run into. Why is it so important to you that one weird youtuber can't use his stupid trick anymore?

Because with gamer culture the way it is, that One Weird Trick One Guy Does soon becomes the One Obligatory Trick Everyone Must Do.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

its cool to feel that way, however, have you considered that the boss is boring as gently caress and a bad fight, and you could do it thirty times and still not have the good items because he drops like a million useless trash things and 4 good ones

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Beat the moon lord enough times to make nebula and stardust armor. It feels like nebula armor/last prism/3 stardust cells is extremely fast at crushing him. Very, very satisfying.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

quick question: Corruption spread is supposed to slow the gently caress down after killing hardmode bosses, right? Well I've killed everyone except the drat moon lord, and no matter how much I spray down various areas the corruption in them eventually grows back.

Playing Corruption Cleanup Crew sounds like the least interesting thing I could be doing in this game, is there some easy way of making sure at least some key spots don't grow corrupty or is there some simple way of just making things not spread with a mod or a config file edit or something, or do I have to get it done thoroughly and get it done right by hand.

I've been digging out "islands" that are separated from all other blocks by 3 empty spaces and then cleaning them, that stops the corruption from spreading to those.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I AM THE MOON posted:

its cool to feel that way, however, have you considered that the boss is boring as gently caress and a bad fight, and you could do it thirty times and still not have the good items because he drops like a million useless trash things and 4 good ones

Not trying to defend Terraria's boss design when I say this, but why fight the Moon Lord a bunch if you hate it? I mean yeah he has item drops but what are you gonna use those items for when he's the final boss.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Internet Kraken posted:

Not trying to defend Terraria's boss design when I say this, but why fight the Moon Lord a bunch if you hate it? I mean yeah he has item drops but what are you gonna use those items for when he's the final boss.

You use them to kill him faster of course.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, this looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv1DZa2IZr4

Apparently you go even FASTER if your exit portal is vertical rather than diagonal.

*goes and builds a teleport launcher setup*

Warning: May run into harpies at 178 MPH.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 21, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

TWIST FIST posted:

I've been digging out "islands" that are separated from all other blocks by 3 empty spaces and then cleaning them, that stops the corruption from spreading to those.

If digging is the answer, I'm not doing it until I get the drill mount.
Which will take a while, and also means I have an extra moon lord fight before I can have the cool post-moon outfits.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Acne Rain posted:

If digging is the answer, I'm not doing it until I get the drill mount.
Which will take a while, and also means I have an extra moon lord fight before I can have the cool post-moon outfits.

Make the shroomite digging claws and a mining potion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RatHat posted:

Cosmic Car Mount flies faster than him so you can just fly around the map shooting him. It takes like 10 minutes even with optimal gear though(by optimal gear I mean SDMG+A ton of crit+A bunch of Stardust Cells).

:toot: I tried using a hoik loop to deal with it, but I couldn't get ithe Dungeon Guardian trapped in the middle. (Please don't get rid of hoiking.) Thanks for letting me know about the Cosmic Car Key! Took a while, but he went down.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What do you guys think is better, Chlorophyte melee set or Turtle armor? The damage reflect looks interesting. I'm upgrading from hallowed btw.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Turtle Armor. The damage reflect is not very good but the huge amount of defense is fantastic. And you can even upgrade it further once you beat Golem.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Just stopping by to say gently caress crawtipedes forever.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

watho posted:

Just stopping by to say gently caress crawtipedes forever.

Someone here said that they won't attack you if you're touching a dirt block, so just build sky dirt where you want to fight to avoid the ground mobs.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Cosmic Car Key is a godsend when it comes to accessory slots. It freed up the two slots I used for my wings and Frostspark Boots, allowing me to replace them with the Worm Scarf and Celestial Stone. Thank you Redigit.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
ive had terraria for like, a year and still havent fought any bosses because i can't imagine anything less fun to do than deal with janky-rear end pseudo bullet hell bullshit

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Someone here said that they won't attack you if you're touching a dirt block, so just build sky dirt where you want to fight to avoid the ground mobs.

That raises a lot of interesting questions. I'm sure it doesn't need to be dirt because I've fought them on snow and mud, so material is not a factor. Does it have to be impeding your movement in some way? Because if not you can just fill the sky with bubble blocks you can move easily through while not getting poo poo from the crawtipedes. Will it work similarly for actuated blocks?

There's a lot of ways this can be abused if we figure out the exact conditions needed to aggro the crawtipedes.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Psuedo-bullet hell bullshit like "move left to avoid laser" and "move up and down to avoid bullets". The hyperbolic lengths people will go to so they can justify their complaints are ridiculous.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Read posted:

Psuedo-bullet hell bullshit like "move left to avoid laser" and "move up and down to avoid bullets". The hyperbolic lengths people will go to so they can justify their complaints are ridiculous.

alls i know is that if the terraria boss fights are anything like the starbound ones i tried months ago, then i'll hate them

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Akett posted:

That raises a lot of interesting questions. I'm sure it doesn't need to be dirt because I've fought them on snow and mud, so material is not a factor. Does it have to be impeding your movement in some way? Because if not you can just fill the sky with bubble blocks you can move easily through while not getting poo poo from the crawtipedes. Will it work similarly for actuated blocks?

There's a lot of ways this can be abused if we figure out the exact conditions needed to aggro the crawtipedes.

1.3.0.7: crawltipedes will now attack any player that presses the "jump" key
1.3.0.8: crawltipedes will now attack any player that presses the "mount" key

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

alls i know is that if the terraria boss fights are anything like the starbound ones i tried months ago, then i'll hate them

You're in luck, Starbound bosses are leagues worse than Terraria bosses. This isn't to say Terraria bosses are good mind you, they're just mildly annoying, as opposed to the root canal of Starbound bosses.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Akett posted:

You're in luck, Starbound bosses are leagues worse than Terraria bosses. This isn't to say Terraria bosses are good mind you, they're just mildly annoying, as opposed to the root canal of Starbound bosses.

that's good to know

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Question: Planters can apparently hold any seed in in any kind of planter, but do you still need to submerge them in water/lava/whatever to have them bloom properly so you get plants and seeds both when harvesting?

Nuebot posted:

Since this is turning into a derail I'm going to just say that if it wasn't on a subscription model I'd totally play FFXIV just so I could see if it wound up getting any crazy poo poo like this.

It doesn't, because FFXIV's dev team is actually able to make a good game (now).

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the Dungeon Guardian has a drop now? How are you supposed to kill it?

Teleporters on a timer with traps in between is how I did it in 1.2 or so. you can either magic mirror out to a bed right by the entrance for him to chance you to or try to place an extra teleporter inside the dungeon to teleport you out but a mirror is easier. This will require a 2nd world though. Supposedly the slime mount can help beat him too by bounding on him a bunch.

TWIST FIST posted:

Make a few hundred sticky bombs and use them to carve 7(?) tile wide tunnels around the corruption and hallow.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Question: Planters can apparently hold any seed in in any kind of planter, but do you still need to submerge them in water/lava/whatever to have them bloom properly so you get plants and seeds both when harvesting?

Plants don't work like that anymore. Fireblossom blooms in the morning/evening, waterleaf blooms when it rains.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

That is excellent.

TWIST FIST posted:

I am decently certain it needs to be a fair bit more than 3 tiles of distance for those things to not spread.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ow, my feels

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

That is excellent.

I am decently certain it needs to be a fair bit more than 3 tiles of distance for those things to not spread.

Nope, just 3. The thorns that grow in corruption can spread it further, but they only transmit by touch so a barrier of uncorruptible material will do.

Regarding stopping the corruption in your jungle, if you've got access to the Clentaminator, just spray a thin band of Hallow at the edge of your jungle. Corruption can't corrupt Hallow and Hallow can't transform Jungle.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tenebrais posted:

Nope, just 3. The thorns that grow in corruption can spread it further, but they only transmit by touch so a barrier of uncorruptible material will do.

3 tiles with a barrier is a caveat. :v:

There is also the issue of I think either grass walls or the grass vines that form on the underside of dirt. Either one of those spreads the corruption and/or crimson, I had it happen on a wide tunnel I'd opened up when I imported some crimson to my corruption world. I caught it early and could wipe it off before it contaminated any serious amount of blocks but it's still something to watch out for.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

YF-23 posted:

3 tiles with a barrier is a caveat. :v:

There is also the issue of I think either grass walls or the grass vines that form on the underside of dirt. Either one of those spreads the corruption and/or crimson, I had it happen on a wide tunnel I'd opened up when I imported some crimson to my corruption world. I caught it early and could wipe it off before it contaminated any serious amount of blocks but it's still something to watch out for.

theres no thorns underground!!

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

those posts are just autism dont worry about them

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Baron posted:

Crimson doesn't start spreading until you enter hardmode which is a long ways off. Don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I'm kinda done with Terraria I beat everything I wanted to this is my first builder style game I enjoyed the freeness of building things mixed with actual bosses and goals does Minecraft have something similar or is there a different game in this genre that would work better everyone seems to hate Starbound no idea why.