Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

beatlegs posted:

I think it's worth it to reflect on the pious, melodramatic reaction to what Trump said as much as what he said (which was just irrelevent dumbfuckery).

Except that's not what's being done here:

Goatman Sacks posted:

I mean he[Trump] has a point. McCain got a flight position he didn't deserve because of his daddy, crashed 4 planes, and then was punished for war crimes by the Vietnamese.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Don't cry about bamboo under your fingernails after dropping 500 pounds of napalm on children.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Was McCain one of the pilots dropping Agent Orange?

I dunno. I kinda don't disagree with Trump on this one.

So even ignoring the torture apologism, and that's a loving lot to ignore, this is about people straight up agreeing with Trump's statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Of all the lovely positions held by John McCain, his war record is the one thing that really shouldn't be touched.

Because he was literally tortured for 5 loving years straight.

Jesus Christ you loving goons are the reason people think what they think about leftists.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There is a merit to debating whether the immediate hagiography of soldiers is moral or not but that unfortunately is not what this debate is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thump! posted:

Jesus Christ you loving goons are the reason people think what they think about leftists.

Well being fair the people who tortured him were also leftists, so...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Well being fair the people who tortured him were also leftists, so...

And non-white! That makes it double acceptable to some poligoons!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can we be 100% sure that McCain wasn't in fact tortured at the hands of the Homosexual Agenda? Stay tuned on Fox to find out more...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The one torture McCain still hasn't been able to talk about was the drag show.

Supposedly the presentation of "Black Magic Woman" was a crime against humanity.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
John McCain had two jobs. Don't crash the plane and kill a bunch of civilians from a comfortable distance.

He was only good at one of them.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 22, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

John McCain had two jobs. Don't crash the plane and kill a bunch of civilians from a comfortable distance.

He was only good at one of them.

The Guiness Records people wish for me to inform you there is no "most edges" category.

You can go back to your 8th grade homework.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I don't care enough about McCain to go to bat arguing about his war record. All i want to be known is that torture bad, war bad.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Can't we go back to bitching about Bush getting a sweet Guard assignment for sons of politicians so he could avoid being deployed? I know we all want Trump to not burn out before the sixth, but nitpicking McCain's military record isn't going to help make the world a better place and really only makes McCain look better.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

All i want to be known is that torture bad, war bad.

Unbelievably, there are many millions of people that take issue with this stance

Humanity is a cesspool

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Unbelievably, there are many millions of people that take issue with this stance

Humanity is a cesspool

I'm a monster.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think the term "Hero" is thrown around so much it doesn't really have any meaning anymore, but denigrating someone for being captured and tortured is monstrous.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Didn't McCain himself support pro-torture stuff we did?

I mean, that's pretty loving hypocritical and awful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I seem to remember seeing him testify in the Senate against the defence of the torture by American hands?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rorus Raz posted:

I mean, that's pretty loving hypocritical and awful.

He was to start with but then he really wanted to be President in 08.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't care about McCain personally and I agree that blind troop worship is a problem, but even so I think denigrating people who were sent to war for failing is a monstrous thing to do. He didn't say "McCain is a bad soldier", he said "I like people who weren't captured." Which is part of a larger trend of conservatives gleefully calling for war and using the concept of "the troops" as a political weapon, but making GBS threads all over the actual troops whenever it's convenient.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

I don't care about McCain personally and I agree that blind troop worship is a problem, but even so I think denigrating people who were sent to war for failing is a monstrous thing to do. He didn't say "McCain is a bad soldier", he said "I like people who weren't captured." Which is part of a larger trend of conservatives gleefully calling for war and using the concept of "the troops" as a political weapon, but making GBS threads all over the actual troops whenever it's convenient.

Yeah a person sitting pretty and talking about a guy who was captured and tortured in a war as a loser is a pretty hosed up thing to say and any person in the military should really take notice, especially since that sort of attitude is becoming more and more mainstream. I think the hero worship we give the military in general is distasteful and honestly I don't care if people say mean things about McCain but this is a pretty good example of Republicans worshiping the Military Industrial Complex and the idolized fiction of the American soldier while hating the actual men and women who fight their wars for them.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

You can go back to your 8th grade homework.

You nab that fresh come back from my mom's Facebook wall?

Has it occurred to you that push back for the Vietnam War isn't modern or edgy? Or are you just a Grand Pa? :bahgawd:

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 22, 2015

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Everyone in the navy deserves to be tortured.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bob James posted:

Everyone in the navy deserves to be tortured.

Take your Village People hate elsewhere, young man.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Screaming Idiot posted:

Take your Village People hate elsewhere, young man.

Everyone who produces disco should burn in a disco inferno.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rorus Raz posted:

No. And he caught a ton of poo poo for it with the GOP base.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Has it occurred to you that push back for the Vietnam War isn't modern or edgy? Or are you just a Grand Pa? :bahgawd:

There is no push back for Vietnam here, only Vietnam used as a poor excuse for torture apologism.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grognan posted:

I guess a second video came out from that PP hatchet job, anyone here have a rundown yet?

It's another hatchet job, but has the glorious stroke of the cameraman trying to bait the PP rep into giving a dollar value for a fetus. The PP rep hesitates, says $75 and the cameraman counters with $100 (which would instantly invalidate it, you cant push someone to ask for more money) and the PP response was "Only if that's what the other affiliates in your area offer. We cannot make any profit whatsoever off a fetus under any circumstances and could not accept any payment that was above the regional affiliate rate from medical establishments."

The cameraman makes a comment about wanting to get rich and the PP rep says "Sure, I'd love a Lamborgini." and that's all anyone on the right is focusing on, claiming that joking phrase said as she was leaving is proof she was looking for a fat paycheck for dead baby organs.

It's riling up the GOP and the right-wing, but unlike ACORN it's 100% unambiguous that at no point is anyone talking about fetuses for profit and qualify every comment about money with a "look, the laws are clear, we will not profit off this". Expect a few state governors to try and gently caress over the local PP but any federal action will probably be nothing more then a public spectacle for the base.

Here's the best part

quote:

The Center for Medical Progress — which managed to get tax-exempt status in 2013 as a biomedicine charity, according to a report by The Huffington Post — appears to have done little beyond producing the undercover video. According to its registration form with the California attorney general, it has three officers: Mr. Daleiden; Albin Rhomberg, who has participated in anti-abortion protests; and Troy Newman, the president of the anti-abortion group Operation Rescue.

The source of the videos has lied and deceived the IRS and Federal Government as to their purpose, meaning they could get audited by the IRS for such lies. Guess what great strategy they could use to deflect that?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 22, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is no push back for Vietnam here, only Vietnam used as a poor excuse for torture apologism.

"John McCain sucks"

TORTURE APOLOGISM! That's the kind of hamfisted kneejerking we expect from the GOP.

I think some of you are in the wrong thread.

quote:

The cameraman makes a comment about wanting to get rich and the PP rep says "Sure, I'd love a Lamborgini." and that's all anyone on the right is focusing on, claiming that joking phrase said as she was leaving is proof she was looking for a fat paycheck for dead baby organs.

A 25 dollar windfall. That's Lambo money if I ever saw it.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 22, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

But pushback against the Vietnam War isn't the same thing as being needlessly inflammatory. It was a war, it was a massive set of interlinked decisions and reducing it to "John McCain's job was to murder civilians" is an oversimplification that leads to misshapen conclusions about people.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I don't care enough about McCain to go to bat arguing about his war record. All i want to be known is that torture bad, war bad.

Why do you hate our troops?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

"John McCain sucks"

TORTURE APOLOGISM! That's the kind of hamfisted kneejerking we expect from the GOP.

I think some of you are in the wrong thread.

Hmm what's the context are they discussing John McCain though? http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/20/politics/john-mccain-donald-trump-comments/

Oh yeah, right. Good game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That's the kind of hamfisted kneejerking we expect from the GOP.

Ironically, you're sounding a lot like a Guantanamo torture apologist. "They were shooting at American troops (probably)" has simply been replaced with "He was bombing civilians (probably.)" The point is, if we keep going off on how awful torture victims are before they got tortured, it starts to make torture seem okay as long as we find enough reasons for the victims to be loathsome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When did D&D become missingthepoint.txt?

Trump does not give a single gently caress about any actual reason that McCain was or wasn't a hero, he's attacking a moderate GOP target and making GBS threads all over his service record because he knows it will get him more attention and paint him as a true Republican. That this new comment has ignited a fury of people now arguing over whether or not McCain is a hero means Trump has succeed in his goal. People in this thread are more concerned with the reputation of a elderly man in his twilight years then a hate spewing monster who is polling as a possible GOP candidate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well from what I've seen most people in here have been going "wow that's hosed up, I hope it sinks him" and then being shown Facebook screencaps of people supporting Trump's statement. Interspersed with the military-version of ACAB getting the desired outcry.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

pentyne posted:

Trump does not give a single gently caress about any actual reason that McCain was or wasn't a hero, he's attacking a moderate GOP target and making GBS threads all over his service record because he knows it will get him more attention and paint him as a true Republican. That this new comment has ignited a fury of people now arguing over whether or not McCain is a hero means Trump has succeed in his goal. People in this thread are more concerned with the reputation of a elderly man in his twilight years then a hate spewing monster who is polling as a possible GOP candidate.

I give the same amount of shits about Trump as I do McCain.

I guess that makes me a toupee apologist.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I guess that makes me a toupee apologist.

You monster. :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair I bet if Trump had been a pilot in Vietnam he'd have crashed twice as many planes and lied about who he was to get out of the POW camp early, later finds out his lie caused seven other POWs to be executed but felt no remorse.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
They would crash if you covered them in solid gold plates.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pentyne posted:

rly makes u think

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair I bet if Trump had been a pilot in Vietnam he'd have crashed twice as many planes and lied about who he was to get out of the POW camp early, later finds out his lie caused seven other POWs to be executed but felt no remorse.

Just World, FYGM.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Given this respose, it's almost a certainty you're older than me.

And no, the Vietnam War was a bad dumb war that the USA lost.

Soldiers in said war are not under the same umbrella.

You're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Given this respose, it's almost a certainty you're older than me.

And no, the Vietnam War was a bad dumb war that the USA lost.

Soldiers in said war are not under the same umbrella.

You're an idiot.

You dropped napalm on kids!

"I was just following orders"

Oh, well, then run along you little scamp you!