Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Cole posted:

Only if there is a rule that if you tell someone to go back to [insert subforum] as a retort instead of a response just because they disagree with you, that you can only post in that forum for a month.

I don't know if you know what the phrase "the impression given" means, but you should really look it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

"the impression given" is a lot different from "d&d has an unbelievably dumb definition of racism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cole posted:

Yeah, swell. But d&d has an unbelievably dumb definition of racism a lot of the times.

For example, someone would rather walk down one street than another because of the differing crime levels. If the street with higher crime is mostly black people, whereas the low crime neighborhood is mostly white people, it doesn't matter that the person doesn't want to go down that street because of crime, it is absolutely because it's a black neighborhood.

That is the impression d&d gives about the accepted definition racism. Anytime a race other than white is mentioned in a situation where they could possibly look bad, such as the above described situation, it is racism rather than common sense about safety.

So just because you don't want to call it racism it's not racism? If you see a black guy walking towards you on the sidewalk and you cross the street because he's black it is racist, so loving what? It's also safe to listen to your fear response and remove yourself from potential danger. Pretending like it's not racist is a justification, it doesn't change the fact that you are prejudiced against certain types of people.

Also I'd just like to point out, deciding to not stroll through dangerous parts of town is not racist. Your scenario is a straw man, you think people are arguing you should hang out in rough parts of town otherwise it's racist?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is a reason why the GiP forum had the idiots thread named after cole.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Can you please all just shut up about other posters and other subforums

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Can we have a rule where when you say "d&d believes in this thing I made up" you have to be able to quote 5 posts made in the last three months that all say the thing you said and none of them were largely disagreed with? I can't be the only one getting tired of hearing it parroted over and over by lunatics like Cole or Swagger.

Pretty sure this requirement could be met using the last 3 pages of just this thread

Obdicut posted:

I don't think there is actually a stereotype of white people being polite and well-mannered when acting with the police, actually. Why do you?

A DND poster whos experience with the real world is limited to youtube videos and webcams they found on google, no surprises here. You're in the same league as that guy who outed himself as never having seen a work boot before

VitalSigns posted:

Are you really asking this question?

Everyone knows why those terms are used: because it's an easy way to dismiss claims of racial profiling and racial bias in policing if you convince yourself it's all justified by the way black people inherently act.

Are you denying that the way Bland acted during the traffic stop had a huge effect on how she was treated?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

semper wifi posted:

Are you denying that the way Bland acted during the traffic stop had a huge effect on how she was treated?

Fine, she uppity'd her way into a bullshit charge from a big bag of fag juice with a badge.

Everyone is at fault, no one is responsible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

No not at all, I think it is perfectly obvious the officer's decision to abuse his authority and escalate a simple traffic stop into a violent situation was influenced by a black woman's refusal to show the proper submission his ego expects from someone of her race.

That's not a contradiction of what I said about what people really mean when they talk about acting white vs acting black.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is supposedly an image of the jail cell Sandra Bland was in, taken shortly after her body was removed. Can anyone find a reputable article sourcing it? I can only find it on Twitter.

Edit: Shortly after posting, I found the video footage it was taken from. Aren't jail cells supposed to not have things like trash cans with bags in them specifically to keep inmates from having anything harmful?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chitoryu12 posted:

This is supposedly an image of the jail cell Sandra Bland was in, taken shortly after her body was removed. Can anyone find a reputable article sourcing it? I can only find it on Twitter.

Edit: Shortly after posting, I found the video footage it was taken from. Aren't jail cells supposed to not have things like trash cans with bags in them specifically to keep inmates from having anything harmful?

Only suicide cells. Also, hanging off (short) bunk beds is really common in jails.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darko posted:

Stereotyping can be prejudice and it can also be racism, but I agree that the racism = power is a dumb thing that needs to go away because it is basically proven wrong by any definition of the word that will distract from the point attempted to be made with that. Simply saying racism against historically marginalized groups tends to cause far more damage than the reverse would go a long way towards refuting the obvious rebuttals and sidetracks.

That is probably a significantly better way to word it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

so you think it's ok for a white cop to arrest a black woman for being mouthy? should she have averted her gaze and called him massa?

tell us what else the black woman should have done to avoid getting an rear end kicking from the police, guy who clearly has a racial chip on his shoulder

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cole posted:

Yeah, swell. But d&d has an unbelievably dumb definition of racism a lot of the times.

For example, someone would rather walk down one street than another because of the differing crime levels. If the street with higher crime is mostly black people, whereas the low crime neighborhood is mostly white people, it doesn't matter that the person doesn't want to go down that street because of crime, it is absolutely because it's a black neighborhood.

I know you're probated, but for your sake and the sake of anyone else with similar views I'm going to try to explain the problem with your attitude towards this issue.

Unless someone explicitly says "man, I really HATE black people!" or uses racial slurs, it's generally impossible to completely prove they have racist feelings. Despite this, we have been informed through the current and past state of society (through statistics, etc) that racism is a huge societal problem and very prevalent. So we know that a pretty significant portion of the country has racist feelings and act upon those feelings (in ways like being less likely to hire people with stereotypical "black" names, etc), even if they aren't in the KKK.

So you're left with two choices. You can either try and attack attitudes and behaviors that are either racist or help to perpetuate racism in some way, or you can err on the side of assuming anyone who isn't explicitly racist is not racist. Now, here's the key point: If you're wrong sometimes in thinking that people/behavior are racist, the worst case scenario is that you hurt someone's feelings. If, on the other hand, you wrongly choose to assume people aren't being racist when they actually are, you are literally helping to perpetuate systemic racism. False positives are vastly more harmful with one of these assumptions than they are with the other. And even if they weren't, the fact that we definitely know that a huge portion of society is racist from various statistics/metrics suggests that you're probably also going to have fewer false positives with the "this person saying/doing a potentially racist thing is probably a racist" assumption.

To add to the above point, remember that we are not a judge and are not punishing anyone for this stuff. When people accuse others of saying racist things they are not being fined or imprisoned. We do not need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone is definitely racist before we can point out that stuff they said/did is probably racist or helps to perpetuate racism in some way.*

All this being said, I can't really think of many situations outside of bad tumblr posts where people wrongly accuse others of being racist. There is almost always some legitimate reason why someone is widely accused of racism. I think part of the issue is that many people (and maybe you?) have a kind of skewed idea of what racism is. It is not necessary that you dislike black people and think that they're inferior to white people to have racist thoughts. Stereotyping a race is another way of being racist, and I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of Americans stereotype black people (and other minorities) in various ways. Also, having racist thoughts does not mean you are a terrible person; people (usually) react poorly in threads like these to the fact that people are being dishonest rather than the fact that they happened to think something racist in the first place.

* edit: I felt the need to mention this because I'm pretty certain that many people would respond to my previous paragraph with "Are you saying we should presume that people are guilty?!?" Suggesting to someone that they said/did something that is offensive/harmful is not even remotely the same as finding someone guilty of a crime. I think that this is possibly the most common misconception regarding this topic that I see people make.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 23, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so you think it's ok for a white cop to arrest a black woman for being mouthy? should she have averted her gaze and called him massa?

tell us what else the black woman should have done to avoid getting an rear end kicking from the police, guy who clearly has a racial chip on his shoulder

She was arrested for assaulting him which seems pretty fair given her behavior. Like most "victims" of the police she probably should have avoided physically resisting and assaulting the police, also behaving like something other than a massive prick would have helped her case significantly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

if this is the same neighborhood the crime rate is mostly the same, crime rates aren't all that different from one block to the next, so it's much more likely that you'd choose the white street because you're afraid of being victimized by a black person, because you believe in the stereotype that black people are criminals, which is a racist thing to think

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

She was arrested for assaulting him which seems pretty fair given her behavior. Like most "victims" of the police she probably should have avoided physically resisting and assaulting the police, also behaving like something other than a massive prick would have helped her case significantly.

ah yes so a black woman being frustrated that a white cop is getting in her face and pushing her around for little/no reason is being a massive prick. what other behaviors are unacceptable from black women? spitting? sitting in the presence of their superiors?

the cop reaches in and drags bland out of her car because she wouldn't put out her cigarette, because she was upset that he was grilling her over a moving violation. the cop continually escalated this situation in a completely aggressive and unprofessional manner, so it's odd to me that you would side with the white man who was bullying a black woman for no reason

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 23, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

Why was she being ordered out of the car, again?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

semper wifi posted:

Wait, I thought she was just verbally rude to the officer, not that she actually attacked him? If you're referring to her physically resisting after the officer already laid hands on her, that is a different issue and one entirely caused by the officer's inappropriate decision to be physical with her in the first place.

You really need to understand that there is a huge difference between "it is not prudent to do ______" and "it is morally wrong to do _______." I don't think anyone here is arguing that it is a good idea to be disrespectful to the police. Of course it will greatly increase the chances of an officer doing terrible things to you. This doesn't change the fact that being rude to a police officer is not an action that even remotely warrants the way many people are treated as a result. Being an rear end in a top hat is not an offense that should be punished by being slammed into the ground and/or sent to jail.

It seems like many people have this bizarre black/white view where "the police officer did a terrible thing" also implies "the person the police officer did a terrible thing to was a perfect person." It doesn't matter if some does something dumb; if that dumb thing is not actually a threat to the officer it does not warrant the sort of treatment frequently given in response. It does not matter if the victim is a totally dumb person with a bad attitude. Being a dumb person with a bad attitude does not mean it is okay to beat them up or send them to jail.

the cop reaches in and drags bland out of her car because she wouldn't put out her cigarette, because she was upset that he was grilling her over a moving violation. the cop continually escalated this situation in a completely aggressive and unprofessional manner, so it's odd to me that you would side with the white man who was bullying a black woman for no reason

There seems to be this super common belief that if someone acts in a way that isn't prudent that they deserve almost any imaginable punishment or consequence. See stuff like the Darwin Awards, where people laugh about people dying because they did dumb things (though this is obviously even worse since "being rude to a police officer in response to him inappropriately grilling you" isn't inherently dumb; it's just a bad idea in light of the fact that many officers will send you to jail for it).

I honestly find it super bizarre. Like, I understand where feelings like racism come from, even if they're wrong. But this "people deserve terrible punishment/consequences for doing dumb/unwise things" view is just totally alien to me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 23, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

The footage shows that Encinia initially wrote a routine traffic warning for Bland. When returning to Bland's car to deliver the ticket, Encenia asks if anything Bland was okay. Bland responds, "I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you." Encinia says, "You seem very irritated." Bland goes on to explain she is a little irritated for being pulled over when she thought she was doing the right thing in pulling to another lane. Eventually, Encinia asks Bland to put out her cigarette: "Would you mind putting our your cigarette, please for my...?" Bland responds, "I'm in my car. Why do I have to put out my cigarette?" Encinia then says, "Oh you can step on out now." To which, Bland responds, "I don't have to step out of my car." The conversation continues with Encinia issuing orders for Bland to get out of the car or he will forcefully remove her, and Bland refusing based on her assumption she did not have to obey the officer's order. Encinia radios for backup.

The situation escalates after Encinia has unlocked and opened the driver's door of Bland's car. He backs away but with one hand holds his taser near Bland and yells, "Get out of the car!" Bland responds, "And then you're gonna stun me?" Over this, Encinia shouts, "I will light you up. Get out!" Bland shortly exits the car, and Encinia does not use the taser on Bland. It is this part of the encounter that was played on most national news programs.

Once Bland is out of her car, they both walk to the side of the road with Encinia following several feet behind Bland. There is verbal sparring, first over Bland's not putting down her phone when Encinia orders. Encinia handcuffs Bland and she is arrested.

Bland repeatedly insists that escalating situation is over a ticket for failure to signal. Encinia says that is was originally a warning being issued, but Bland would now be going to jail because she resisted orders and arrest. Bland is in handcuffs and states that Encinia is about to break her wrists. He orders her to stop moving.

A female officer arrives on the scene out of view of Encinia's patrol car camera, though heard on the audio, and aids in restraining Bland. At that point, Bland accuses Encinia of slamming her head to the ground and says that she suffers from epilepsy. Encinia mocks that asertion by saying "good." The female officer tells Bland she should have thought about that before she started resisting. Bland responds to one statement by saying she cannot hear, but the female office responds, "Yes you can." There is an audible struggle to position Bland in the patrol car before audio no longer includes Bland but only Encinia and other officers discussing the situation.

hm yes, it seems like the woman being given a traffic ticket is the unruly and aggressive party in this scenario. this is just more proof that nobody should ever speak to the police, ever, lest they start having a bad day and end up beating and arresting you because they got triggered by your lack of supreme deference

of course, not talking to the police is also suspicious, so really all you can do is hope they don't feel ike kicking someone's rear end today

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 23, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

ah yes so a black woman being frustrated that a white cop is getting in her face and pushing her around for little/no reason is being a massive prick. what other behaviors are unacceptable from black women? spitting? sitting in the presence of their superiors?

"he was grilling her" what do you mean? She started off talking poo poo, blamed him for her driving fuckups, then refused a lawful order. He started off with a ma'am. She escalated the situation every step of the way. Did we even watch the same video? Yeah the cop was a dick, the video is a classic case of two assholes colliding but had she been anything other than belligerent she would have left with a ticket instead of in the back of a cop car.

VitalSigns posted:

Why was she being ordered out of the car, again?

Probably as a consequence of being a massive rear end in a top hat, I dunno. As far as I know a cop can tell you to get out of the car for any/no reason

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like many people have this bizarre black/white view where "the police officer did a terrible thing" also implies "the person the police officer did a terrible thing to was a perfect person." It doesn't matter if some does something dumb; if that dumb thing is not actually a threat to the officer it does not warrant the sort of treatment frequently given in response. It does not matter if the victim is a totally dumb person with a bad attitude. Being a dumb person with a bad attitude does not mean it is okay to beat them up or send them to jail.

I see things like this as a two way street. Yeah, the cop should have kept his ego in check, handed her her ticket and walked away. That's what should have happened. The police should be better than the people they police. At the same time - he didn't do anything wrong as I understand things. It's easy to say "well the cop should've done X, Y, Z" but all that was required from Bland was some civility.
I also find it extremely hard to empathize with someone who opens up a traffic stop with angry poo poo-talking. If you go around in a rage causing problems and someone ruins your day because of it I really just don't feel too badly for you, especially when your'e the one who invited the police into your life by not signalling a lane change (there's a cop behind you just turn your blinker on goddamn lady)

also i think in this case we should remember he took her into custody with basically no real consequence for either of them, had she not killed herself she would have pled to some misdemeanor and been on probation or something.

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 23, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hm yes, it seems like the woman being given a traffic ticket is the unruly and aggressive party in this scenario. this is just more proof that nobody should ever speak to the police, ever, lest they start having a bad day and end up beating and arresting you because they got triggered by your lack of supreme deference

of course, not talking to the police is also suspicious, so really all you can do is hope they don't feel ike kicking someone's rear end today

This sort of reminds me of this time I got pulled over (my registration had expired). I was getting out my wallet to get my license and insurance card and the officer was like "what's taking so long? Give me your license" and I very sarcastically went "Alright, alright, here it is" in a "dude, chill the gently caress out" sort of tone of voice. Fortunately he did not seem to detect or respond to my tone, though I realized immediately after that it was not smart of me to act like that. Many people just naturally react poorly to being spoken to in the way that officer was speaking to me. Even if it may not be wise to "act disrespectful" towards a cop, it's often a natural reaction to someone treating you like poo poo for no reason.

For the record, that was the only time I've ever had a cop act like an rear end in a top hat towards me, but I'm also a white man so I imagine that helps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

semper wifi posted:

I see things like this as a two way street. Yeah, the cop should have kept his ego in check, handed her her ticket and walked away. That's what should have happened. The police should be better than the people they police. At the same time - he didn't do anything wrong as I understand things. It's easy to say "well the cop should've done X, Y, Z" but all that was required from Bland was some civility.

He didn't do anything illegal, but her having an attitude and smoking a cigarette wasn't illegal either. He was a dick towards her and she responded negatively towards it. This was not smart of her, but at the end of the day the officer is the one that actually did something really bad/wrong - sending her to jail. Her antagonizing the cop may have been stupid (ignoring the fact that the cop was acting like an rear end as well), but it is not even remotely the same magnitude of wrong as what the cop did.

semper wifi posted:

I also find it extremely hard to empathize with someone who opens up a traffic stop with angry poo poo-talking. If you go around in a rage causing problems and someone ruins your day because of it I really just don't feel too badly for you, especially when your'e the one who invited the police into your life by not signalling a lane change (there's a cop behind you just turn your blinker on goddamn lady)

...and that's pretty much the gist of the problem. It seems like you can't empathize with people if you see them do something stupid/wrong (though for some reason this doesn't extend to the police). This is bad. People deserve empathy even if they do dumb poo poo. Maybe she was stressed out or something. Who knows (and honestly, who cares)? At the end of the day, nothing she did warranted the treatment she received. The only person involved who actually caused significant harm to another person is the cop.

semper wifi posted:

also i think in this case we should remember he took her into custody with basically no real consequence for either of them, had she not killed herself she would have pled to some misdemeanor and been on probation or something.

Being taken into custody for a few days is not some insignificant punishment, especially if it's completely unnecessary. Going to jail is not a pleasant experience, and effectively sentencing someone to several lovely days is a really bad thing to do.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It can really gently caress up employment opportunities too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There are tons of things I can do at work that are not explicitly illegal that should still get me fired, so I don't understand that defense.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

How much of a punitive cockwad can a cop be under Mimms before it triggers a due process argument?

Or is it open season?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

So what level of violence is an appropriate summary punishment for not signalling a lane change, exactly?

E: If a cop poo poo-talks someone and the civilian beats him up over it, no charges right, since we shouldn't feel badly for someone who is belligerent and gets his day ruined over it, yeah?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 23, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just want to point out one quote from the cops there, when Bland mentioned she's epileptic.

quote:

The female officer tells Bland she should have thought about that before she started resisting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

If you go around in a rage causing problems and someone ruins your day because of it I really just don't feel too badly for you, especially when your'e the one who invited the police into your life by not signalling a lane change (there's a cop behind you just turn your blinker on goddamn lady)

Waaaaiiit a minute, I thought this whatever cops decide to do to you is your own fault if you've ever "invited them into your life" with any minor infraction since birth thing sounded familiar...

semper wifi posted:

I'm not justifying what the cops did, I'm criticizing the tendency for people in this thread to let high-profile victims of police violence completely off the hook, to the point of pretending that a 25 year old man qualifies as a "kid". The cops aren't great but Freddie, and Freddie alone, was the one who invited them into his life.

e: and yeah, that sounds harsh I know, but this is looking like the third time now this big blowup has been over what turns out to be some dumbass basically getting into it with someone and losing. And every time it happens the casual observer just shrugs their shoulders and goes away thinking the cops aren't that bad after all.

Yeah now I remember: if a cop literally murders you in a police van despite having no reason to arrest you in the first place, as long as you ever committed a crime once in your whole life it's your fault.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

semper wifi posted:

A DND poster whos experience with the real world is limited to youtube videos and webcams they found on google, no surprises here. You're in the same league as that guy who outed himself as never having seen a work boot before

No, seriously, that white people are well-mannered in dealing with the police isn't a stereotype. You've got it backwards: that cops are polite to white people is the stereotype. There's no particular stereotype of white people's behavior when pulled over by the police, and I really don't know why you think there is. If you think back to that great, seminal cultural masterpiece of our time C.O.P.S., you'll remember a hell of a lot of white interaction with police that isn't polite and respectful. I think what you may be thinking of is the 'middle class' reaction to being pulled over by the police, but even then it's not really a stereotype--the middle class dude responding to being pulled over with a baffled "Was I doing something wrong, officer?" is a familiar image, too.

I really don't get this weird poo poo of "You have no experience with the real world" either, I mean, how likely do you think that is to be true? I actually study stuff that involves interacting with cops, and most cops would have seen this arrest as a really stupid escalation on the cops' part. Most cops I know try to avoid arresting people for chickenshit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ravenfood posted:

The chief of the NYPD admitted he struggles to hire from minority communities because so many get arrested as kids that they're not eligible

Jose fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 23, 2015

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Well in more positive news, volusia county in florida has decided to do thorough background checks on people applying to be police officers:

quote:

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office will incorporate "routine Google-type Internet searches of all would-be deputies as part of the background investigative process" following the recent hiring, and subsequent firing, of a probationary deputy, an official said.

Steven Korossy, a former Put-in-Bay, Ohio, police officer, was indicted by a grand jury in that state Wednesday on 14 counts of unauthorized use of the Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway database, a fifth-degree felony, and one count of falsification, a misdemeanor, according to a news release from the Ohio Attorney General's Office.

Korossy, wanted on an arrest warrant, had not made contact with Ohio authorities as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the Ohio Attorney General's Office.

The second probationary deputy fired this year by Volusia County, Korossy was scheduled to graduate from Volusia County's training program in August, but the 39-year-old, who was hired May 18, was terminated Wednesday from his position as a probationary deputy when news of the indictment made its way to his new employer, according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

The first few results yielded by a Google search of "Steven Korossy," prior to his firing Wednesday, are news articles from the Sandusky Register, dating back to 2014, about alleged misconduct by Korossy, of Brook Park, Ohio, when he worked as a police officer for Put-in-Bay.

"That's something we should have been doing all along and have now incorporated into all future background checks starting immediately," sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson said.

"Background checks include a variety of inquiries, including employment and discipline checks, criminal history and credit checks, checks of various law enforcement databases, a CVSA (computerized voice stress analyzer) exam, reference checks, interviews with neighbors, on-line searches of social media postings and military checks where applicable," Davidson said. "In addition, we check law enforcement records in the jurisdictions where the applicant resided for the past 10 years, which would include criminal records, offense reports, case dispositions and any record of criminal complaints involving the applicant."

He said the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office, the agency that's investigation resulted in Korossy's criminal charges in Ohio, was contacted in April.

"We got a response back that they had no records relevant to our inquiry," Davidson said.

Deputy Andrea Cochran, director of administration for the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office, said it's possible the ongoing investigation into to Korossy did not come up based on what information the Volusia County Sheriff's Office asked for and when.

Korossy did disclose in a pre-employment inquiry that an arrest he'd made in 2013 had been reviewed by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office as part of an investigation into the Put-in-Bay Police Department, but Korossy said that it was found to have been a "good and valid arrest process," Davidson said.

Korossy also indicated in his application he had been charged in 1994 with a domestic assault and shoplifting, but that both charges were expunged. Korossy stated when he applied in September 2014 that he continued to be employed part time at Put-in-Bay.

The former Put-in-Bay officer is accused of using the Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway database "for non-law-enforcement purposes at least 14 times between November 2013 and January 2015," according to the Ohio Attorney General's Office's news release. "Korossy is also alleged to have made false statements in March 2015 to investigators from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI)."

It was a prior misconduct investigation into the Put-in-Bay Police Department, conducted by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office, that left then Put-in-Bay police chief Robert "Ric" Lampela charged with four misdemeanors, according to the news release.

Korossy was accused of misconduct shortly thereafter.

Witnesses in the case that resulted in Lampela being charged "made complaints to the special prosecutor about potential witness intimidation," according to the news release. "The allegations were subsequently reviewed, which led to discovery of alleged misuse of the OHLEG database by Korossy."

The day following his indictment, a Go Fund Me account called "Justice for Steve Korossy" was set up by Korossy, according to the account.

The account, which had received nearly $1,500 in donations as of Tuesday afternoon, has a goal of raising $25,000 for Korossy's legal defense, according to the website.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

As soon as i read the initial headline about this a couple days ago i said to myself "the stupid cigarette is going to be the only thing that is ever discussed".

A woman is dead after a confrontation with police. This is a problem.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Ravenfood posted:

Not just opportunities, if you don't show up to your current job for a few days cause you were in jail you'll most likely be fired.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

What is even the point of bringing up how nice and friendly it can theoretically be to ask someone to put out a cigarette/make me a sandwich/wash my car/go to dinner with me/give me a blowjob, when you know damned well it's not a friendly request if the consequence for refusing is getting dragged out of your vehicle, cuffed, thrown on the ground, and carted off to a cage?

I don't know that those are the consequences for refusing the request. I also don't recall the other things being said in the video, but maybe we watched different videos.

The point is to illustrate that we were watching a video where we know the end result. The two people in the video didn't know what the next steps would be three seconds, three minutes, or three days later. Watching a situation play out when we know what eventually happens colors in an inescapable way the manner in which we interpret the situation.

The cop and Sandra Bland didn't know what was about to happen. So we have to interpret actions that were taken as best we can without referencing what happened next. So I think the request to extinguish the cigarette was reasonable because I very much doubt the cop thought he was going to be throwing her on the ground a few minutes later and that she'd kill herself soon thereafter.

If you disagree that's fine. We're allowed to have different world views. My experiences influence mine as I'm sure yours influence yours. I'm really trying to have an actual discussion about this small point with y'all.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

. So I think the request to extinguish the cigarette was reasonable because I very much doubt the cop thought he was going to be throwing her on the ground a few minutes later and that she'd kill herself soon thereafter.

If you disagree that's fine. We're allowed to have different world views. My experiences influence mine as I'm sure yours influence yours. I'm really trying to have an actual discussion about this small point with y'all.

What was reasonable about it--to put it another way, for what reason was he asking her to put out the cigarette?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Semper is seriously saying that she "invited him in her life" because he did a quick u-turn right behind her, startling her into her obviously moving over to get out of his way (when startled by police, people often fail to drive correctly, like, all the time), and him using that as an excuse to pull her over? And then wondering why she just might be irritated by being ticketed for that?

Just stop it - that's just obviously devil's advocation/intellectual dishonesty and nobody seriously holds that type of position in any case outside of attempting to semantic a way to support some other point.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

semper wifi posted:

"he was grilling her" what do you mean? She started off talking poo poo, blamed him for her driving fuckups, then refused a lawful order. He started off with a ma'am. She escalated the situation every step of the way. Did we even watch the same video? Yeah the cop was a dick, the video is a classic case of two assholes colliding but had she been anything other than belligerent she would have left with a ticket instead of in the back of a cop car.

Probably as a consequence of being a massive rear end in a top hat, I dunno. As far as I know a cop can tell you to get out of the car for any/no reason

If you respond back with anything other than "ma'am" to an angry customer in the fast food industry you'll be fired. Same thing goes for any other job where you're interacting with the public. You're not allowed to have an ego. There is no "but she was acting like ..." He's not the morality police. Do your job like an adult. Expect that you'll deal with assholes. Go bitch to your coworkers after being as polite as possible to the rear end in a top hat like everyone else in the world that has to deal with the lovely public.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, just how was the cop to know that he was going to end up throwing her to the ground when he stated he would drag her out of the car and taze her? Sure it may seem obvious in hind sight, but I think you'll find that in the Real World that kind of statement resolves in hugs and a warm mutual appreciation of one another's humanity just as often as it results in someone being shoved facedown into the dirt.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

...and that's pretty much the gist of the problem. It seems like you can't empathize with people if you see them do something stupid/wrong (though for some reason this doesn't extend to the police). This is bad. People deserve empathy even if they do dumb poo poo. Maybe she was stressed out or something. Who knows (and honestly, who cares)? At the end of the day, nothing she did warranted the treatment she received. The only person involved who actually caused significant harm to another person is the cop.

you don't need to explicitly tell us that you find it extremely hard to empathize with a black woman who's being bullied by a white cop. we know. it's like the only reason you ever post in d&d, to point out how the weekly black person murdered by the police was no saint and most definitely deserved their extrajudicial death. it's super creepy how rabidly someone can slobber over cops being petty tyrants toward minorities

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

semper wifi posted:

It's easy to say "well the cop should've done X, Y, Z" but all that was required from Bland was some civility.

No, no it wasn't. What people keep telling you is that civility is NOT required from Brand. Freedom of speech means she can say whatever she wants that doesn't cross a few clear lines (racism, inciting a panic) with no, read that again, NO legal repercussions. It is not a crime to be rude.

semper wifi posted:

She shouldn't have been in loving jail in the first place!

Let's rewind this. Forget for a moment that racism is systemic in many police precincts, forget for a moment that the driving infraction in question could be argued to be a direct result of the officer's behavior. This traffic stop was over. He was handing her a ticket. She refused a request to put out her cigarette. That's what triggered this entire loving chain. She dared to tell the officer no. So he decided he would prove a point by removing her from the car. After he had already cited the failure to signal.

This entire poo poo storm, ALL OF IT, would not have occurred had this officer simply let it go. He chose to escalate. The suspect, rightfully fearing either a bullshit detainment that could have real life repercussions, says no. The officer escalated FURTHER. That leads to her getting her head cracked on concrete, and eventually to her cell.

She should not have been in that cell. Full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Obdicut posted:

What was reasonable about it--to put it another way, for what reason was he asking her to put out the cigarette?

I suspect it was because he found it rude. I also suspect it was because he found it rude to him as an officer of the law who can't be hosed with (I.e. a power trip).

But I also think it's possible that he didn't do our to get off on his own authority.

• Locked thread