Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is the one place we totally need that pee - indicating dye.

That poo poo isn't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I peed in the pool once and you could see the yellow. :smith: I think I just need to drink a lot more water.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I peed in the pool once and you could see the yellow. :smith: I think I just need to drink a lot more water.

Pool blue and urine yellow, your new team colors.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Pool blue and urine yellow, your new team colors.

I'm not Ross, I just have his avatar.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
change it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The jags should dye that water so you come out team color teal.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

If the owners can't afford a stadium they should sell bonds and raise debt and pay it off over time like everyone else in the world when they want to spend more money than they have. They put that burden on municipalities because they can. I don't know how that didn't enter the discussion.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Its Miller Time posted:

If the owners can't afford a stadium they should sell bonds and raise debt and pay it off over time like everyone else in the world when they want to spend more money than they have. They put that burden on municipalities because they can. I don't know how that didn't enter the discussion.

No bank is going to loan money to an nfl owner, they're all aware it's a scam and they'll leave after twenty years

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chichevache posted:

Where you want to be:

The dude in the cream shorts pees in the pool. Just look at his face.

I just noticed the woman in full clothes, jeans & a coat, in the pool

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

zen death robot posted:

I'm pretty sure she has gloves on too

Fuckin' mimes, she'll never convince me she's watching a good football game.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@AlbertBreer
Giants owner John Mara tells @WFAN660 he believes there will be two teams in LA in 2016. Mara is one of 6 members of the NFL's LA committee.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
And where is team #2 going to play?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ross Angeles posted:

And where is team #2 going to play?

Surprise resolution of the Chargers-SD conflict is that San Diego changes its name to South Los Angeles.

I don't like it any more than you do, Ross.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Surprise resolution of the Chargers-SD conflict is that San Diego changes its name to South Los Angeles.

I don't like it any more than you do, Ross.

Maybe we can fool Goldman Sachs that way

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You mean the Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

japtor posted:

You mean the Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego?

You mean the Los Angeles Chargers of South Los Angeles.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You mean the Los Angeles Chargers of South Los Angeles.

Please don't troll

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm sorry

You might as well stop posting after this season, because otherwise there's no chance you escape Ross Angeles Chargers puns for at least another decade

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm sorry

You might as well stop posting after this season, because otherwise there's no chance you escape Ross Angeles Chargers puns for at least another decade

Nah I'll still root for the Chargers

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ross Angeles posted:

Please don't troll

Hey, I live here too. I'm just bowing to the inevitable.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

We should get beers and/or scotch

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ross Angeles posted:

We should get beers and/or scotch

ftfy

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chris James 2 posted:

@AlbertBreer
Giants owner John Mara tells @WFAN660 he believes there will be two teams in LA in 2016. Mara is one of 6 members of the NFL's LA committee.

Oh so it'll be the Cowboys and Redskins

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

West Hollywood Cowboys and the Beverly Hills Orangeskins.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Crossposting from N/V: St. Louis judge just ruled that a public stadium doesn't need a vote to use city funds.

I'm sure this will go over well http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/article_51c33b67-9b72-5055-ba56-94cc9e1b46e2.html#.Vb-hJi52tcd.twitter

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Benne posted:

Crossposting from N/V: St. Louis judge just ruled that a public stadium doesn't need a vote to use city funds.

I'm sure this will go over well http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/article_51c33b67-9b72-5055-ba56-94cc9e1b46e2.html#.Vb-hJi52tcd.twitter

You wouldn't be able to tell if people cared or not. If you read the comments on STLToday on stories about the Rams moving, the only people posting are: A) people from LA and B) people from St. Louis that only like the Cardinals (true assholes).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chichevache posted:

West Hollywood Cowboys

How bout them 'boys?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Those demin boot cuffs are...something else

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

zen death robot posted:

The Post Dispatch uses Facebook for its comments, of course it's all old people complaining.

Oh god you don't need to tell me. All the people that post on the Rams stories not about possibly moving are horrible old people.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Mara's a real revolving son of a bitch

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Owners meeting next week to discuss selling season tickets to LA fans

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

I don't get to a lot of sporting events, but I've been inside five NFL stadiums, three MLB stadiums, two hockey arenas, and two college football stadiums. Everything from mixed used nightmares like whatever Dolphins Stadium is currently called and Three Rivers to gleaming monuments to the hubris of man like Nats Park and Heinz Field to the titanic monstrosities that are Beaver Stadium and Neyland Stadium. I've sat in the peasant rabble of the deck above the upper deck to being able to put my feet up on the dugout roof or heckle players on the sideline and have them hear me. The club levels I've been on made me wonder why those people were even at the game in the first place. You can sit at a bar and watch the game literally anywhere. The only experience I haven't had in a stadium is sitting in a luxury box.

I don't need all the restaurants of the Mercedes Club or whatever it was called at FedEx or the elaborate model train scoreboard thing in the Norfolk Southern Club at Nats Park. The most fun I've ever had in a stadium was standing packed shoulder to shoulder in my 17 inches of allotted space on a cold metal bleacher in a light, freezing cold rain on a night in October in a college football stadium. All that other stuff is fluff for people that would rather be somewhere else. However, I require a pretzel guy too. Maybe nachos.

If you're doing both at the same time, you're doing neither very well :colbert:

Club level at Heinz is pretty great, and this year I will get to see the Cards.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ultimately the problem with NFL stadiums is that they get used like 8 days a year. Blowing a billion or two on a stadium that has no purpose for 357/365th of the time is idiotic. There's a reason why baseball stadiums are far, far easier to finance and get built.

Mulit-use stadiums sure seem to suck when you're watching your NFL team play on a baseball diamond, but dedicating several acres of prime downtown real estate and a billion dollars of taxpayer money for a facility that sits empty almost all the time just doesn't make sense, even if you can find suckers willing to pay for it.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Ultimately the problem with NFL stadiums is that they get used like 8 days a year. Blowing a billion or two on a stadium that has no purpose for 357/365th of the time is idiotic. There's a reason why baseball stadiums are far, far easier to finance and get built.

Mulit-use stadiums sure seem to suck when you're watching your NFL team play on a baseball diamond, but dedicating several acres of prime downtown real estate and a billion dollars of taxpayer money for a facility that sits empty almost all the time just doesn't make sense, even if you can find suckers willing to pay for it.

Only if you're not doing it right. AT&T Stadium has held the following non-NFL events since opening in 2009:

NBA
NBA All-Star Weekend

NCAA Football
College Football National Championship
Big-12 Championship
Cotton Bowl
Cowboys Classic
Southwest Classic
Baylor/Texas Tech Shootout

NCAA Basketball
Handful of games including the 2014 Men's Final Four

WWE
WrestleMania 32 in 2016

Soccer
3 Gold Cups
2 World Football Challenges

Boxing
2 Manny Paquiao fights

Supercross
Annual AMA Supercross Championship

Monster Truck
Annual Monster Jam event

Concerts
Beyonce/Jay Z
Paul McCartney
U2/Muse
Taylor Swift x2 (3rd concert later this year)
George Strait x2
Rolling Stones
Jonas Brothers
One Direction

Misc
2015 Country Music Awards
Professional bull riders event
Several local HS football games (my cousin played a game there!)
2011 US Women's Bowling championship
EFL Semi-Pro Football Pro Bowl game
International Federation of Gymnastics World Cup event
Reebok's Spartan Race
Whatever this was: "Cowboys Stadium hosted the first opera simulcast in a sports venue in northern Texas when the Dallas Opera's performance of Mozart's "The Magic Flute" was broadcast to an audience of about 15,000 on the Cowboys Stadium video screen from a closed-circuit feed of the live performance at the Winspear Opera House in Dallas about twenty-five miles away."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. If we generously call that 50 events in the last six years, that improves utilization to an amazing ~16 days per year! And most of those events have much lower ticket prices than an NFL game. Throw in some preseason games, maybe a few playoff games, you're still struggling to hit 20 days per year.

Meanwhile, a major league baseball stadium hosts 162/2 = 81 days per year of utilization, and that's not including the other events held in the facility. An NBA team arena hosts 82/2 = 41 days per year, plus a basketball court is a lot smaller than a baseball field or football field, so the overall stadium footprint can be smaller, and they're all indoors so they can all host year-round events irrespective of the weather.

NHL teams also do 82/2 = 41 days per year, and an indoor ice rink can host lots of other events too, although (I'm guessing) maybe some of them aren't great at doing non-ice events? I don't know.

The point is, all those filler events are completely essential for any chance of an NFL stadium to earn money, whereas they're just revenue-enhancing items for most other sports teams.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Leperflesh posted:

NHL teams also do 82/2 = 41 days per year, and an indoor ice rink can host lots of other events too, although (I'm guessing) maybe some of them aren't great at doing non-ice events? I don't know.

Honda Center hosts the Ducks, an Arena Football team, the occasional basketball game, and a shitload of concerts every year. It's way more economical to have a general-purpose stadium.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
It's okay for a major city to have a mega huge stadium (bigger than ideal for baseball) to host mega huge events even if it isn't used that often. It's just part of being a big city. A stadium on the RFK site in DC is a great idea. Landover...err, less so.

But the real problem is replacing the buildings way too fast. If a stadium is going to be built to host rare major events it should be built to last a long, long time. They can't be rebuilding them every 20 years. They should be built to last 100 years with renovation, not total rebuild every time the architecture goes out of style.

And yeah, roofs are a good idea in cold weather cities for new buildings you want to host a lot of events. Forget the football purity.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 11, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland were all supposed to give stadium proposals to the NFL in Chicago today.

Oakland's proposal: http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_28392872/exclusive-oakland-stadium-deal-worst-by-far-raiders TLDR: Holy gently caress this is bad

San Diego's proposal: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/10/stadium-financing-chargers-eir-chicago/ TLDR: 33% public funded, 67% privately funded, 1.1 Billion dollars all together.

St. Louis: I haven't been following and don't have a good link, but they're probably ahead of San Diego and definitely Oakland right now.

Here are the new renderings for the San Diego site:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The usage conversation made me look up what KC's stadiums are doing. Kauffman pretty much just has the Royals, Arrowhead has the American Royal BBQ contest and Mizzou/BYU through the end of the year aside from whatever Chiefs games.

The Sprint Center which doesn't even have a team to play there is booked pretty solidly for the next two months. With a bunch of stuff that I have no interest in, but it does seem to be hosting events fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Yesssss LA Raiders incoming

• Locked thread