Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

So now i can build houses for NPCs? Go on..

I just know I started in an area that had the helper NPC, but it was a really inconvenient spot. I couldn't build anything and it would have taken FOREVER to level it out and get things settled. Was a turn off, vs Minecraft you can more or less get everything set up regardless of starting position.

You don't need a flat surface to build on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Read posted:

You don't need a flat surface to build on.

Madness.

I was just overwhelmed with all of the stuff. I dug down and couldn't see anything so I just jumped back out. Then I died to some monsters and got mad lol.

Building seems really tedious using the mouse and it doesn't seem to click every time I hold the button down. Its hard to judge where the item is going to be placed coming in as a new person. I'll give it another shot later on.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

Modded Minecraft feels VERY different than Terraria to me, because it's about building complex equipment and automation facilities, even magic oriented mods like Botania and Witchery are about learning complex crafting processes and figuring out how to gain vast amounts of energy. Though I never tried to hard at the combat, you do not really have the robust system of stats and such. The best mods cannot change that the engine is not suited for combat.

Terraria's crafting never gets more complicated than selecting a recipe off a list. There's no modification, timers, or catalysts, just have the thing and walk next to the thing. Meanwhile much of the combat can be accomplished without gaming the system and there is so much variety in enemies, invasions, and bosses.

Bad choice of words. I meant the addiction to play. :shobon:

Jastiger posted:

Madness.

I was just overwhelmed with all of the stuff. I dug down and couldn't see anything so I just jumped back out. Then I died to some monsters and got mad lol.

Building seems really tedious using the mouse and it doesn't seem to click every time I hold the button down. Its hard to judge where the item is going to be placed coming in as a new person. I'll give it another shot later on.

There's items you can buy later on that make building better and minecraft should straight up steal. I'm looking at you ruler that counts blocks.

When you go mining use the ctrl modifier for quicker digging in the direction you want to go.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Much like minecraft, it's a bad idea to just start digging. Find a cave entrance on the surface and go spelunking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah building in digging in Terraria sucks early on but I think that applies to every game in this genre ever made. I've never been a fan of it. I always felt like in progression should just let you break certain blocks rather than having normal ones take loving forever to dig through without high tier gear. I will say though that as you progress in the game, building in Terraria becomes WAY better than it ever is in vanilla Minecraft. You get access too gear such as grappling hooks that let you scale vertical surfaces easily and hang from them, making construction of large rooms very easy compared to the nonsense you have to do in Minecraft. You can also improve your block placement speed and range with accessories and potions if your doing a ton of building.

Speaking of which, what is the best hammer in the game in terms of speed for punching out walls? Is it the chlorphyte jackhammer or one of the higher tier ones?

HellCopter posted:

Much like minecraft, it's a bad idea to just start digging. Find a cave entrance on the surface and go spelunking.

This. Also once you get into the caverns proper you never have to dig around blindly again. The underground in Terraria is massive compared to Miencrafts crappy caves.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
The most amount of continual digging you'll have to do is simply digging a main shaft straight down to the bottom of the world. As you go though, you can just hop into the caverns that you end up cutting through or brushing against to explore.

(This is a lie if you are like me and want an underground subway for your mine carts. Then you really better enjoy digging.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of which, what is the best hammer in the game in terms of speed for punching out walls? Is it the chlorphyte jackhammer or one of the higher tier ones?

The Axe is about twice as fast as the Chlorophyte Jackhammer, which is probably second best. The endgame hamaxes are probably similar and have much longer range.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 25, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

oddium posted:

who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion

also experiment #4 or something

That is awesome. It's pretty inspiring, I've never even thought of doing background stuff before.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
You mentioned that you went cave-diving and turned back because it got dark. Gel (kill slimes) + wood = Torches, which you can attach to normal blocks and/or the background walls, where/when they exist (different parts of the underground will have background walls or, once you're deep enough, have no background walls but just some pattern).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Archenteron posted:

You mentioned that you went cave-diving and turned back because it got dark. Gel (kill slimes) + wood = Torches, which you can attach to normal blocks and/or the background walls, where/when they exist (different parts of the underground will have background walls or, once you're deep enough, have no background walls but just some pattern).

I take like tons of damage from slimes because I try to slash them and they are too low/high and just hit me in the foot/head and i become frustrated.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

A Rocket Launcher with a big stack of Rocket IVs. If the walls don't have any blocks nearby to target (middle of a marble biome, etc,) set some down then blow them back up again.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I've hit post-plantera on my expert-mode run, one that I've started from scratch ever since 1.3. I'm seeing a very familiar problem: Whenever I kill Plantera, new weapons just rain from the skies. You plunge into the dungeon with your new-fangled Plantera gear to go use those biome keys that you've been sitting on, and you come out of it with so many different weapons -- biome chests and everything else that just drops from enemies -- that it's hard to make a decision on what to use. Not that it matters though because you're very soon going to use them to kill the Golem (who has his own bunch of weapon drops), find some of those solar eclipse catalysts on your way there, and then a martian invasion kicks in as soon as you murder him, oh god, etc etc.

It seems like there's no other time in the game where you get flooded with so many weapon options, but they don't remain viable for very long. I've straight-upgraded my yoyo three times in the past hour or two, and I don't even use it because I've been upgrading my guns too! This nail gun is pretty cool and I want to try it out, but can I really justify having it in the bar (along with like 8 other weapons) when I'm probably immediately going to start making an arena for the pumpkin moon and then make it obsolete?

First world problems, I guess. Maybe the expert mode drop rate boost is spoiling me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jastiger posted:

I take like tons of damage from slimes because I try to slash them and they are too low/high and just hit me in the foot/head and i become frustrated.

make a wooden sword or use just about any alternative you can find to the copper shortsword, it is terrible.
If one thing does not work try something else.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gimbal lock posted:

I've hit post-plantera on my expert-mode run, one that I've started from scratch ever since 1.3. I'm seeing a very familiar problem: Whenever I kill Plantera, new weapons just rain from the skies. You plunge into the dungeon with your new-fangled Plantera gear to go use those biome keys that you've been sitting on, and you come out of it with so many different weapons -- biome chests and everything else that just drops from enemies -- that it's hard to make a decision on what to use. Not that it matters though because you're very soon going to use them to kill the Golem (who has his own bunch of weapon drops), find some of those solar eclipse catalysts on your way there, and then a martian invasion kicks in as soon as you murder him, oh god, etc etc.

It seems like there's no other time in the game where you get flooded with so many weapon options, but they don't remain viable for very long. I've straight-upgraded my yoyo three times in the past hour or two, and I don't even use it because I've been upgrading my guns too! This nail gun is pretty cool and I want to try it out, but can I really justify having it in the bar (along with like 8 other weapons) when I'm probably immediately going to start making an arena for the pumpkin moon and then make it obsolete?

First world problems, I guess. Maybe the expert mode drop rate boost is spoiling me.

I got an Eye of Chulthu from the Solar Eclipse and it made everything else easy mode. Yoyos are the best.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Ah, right, new characters start with a shortsword. All shortswords are garbage. Either grab some wood, make a workbench from your inventory, and then make a wooden longsword that actually has a swinging arc and knockback, or run around the overworld looking for surface treasure chests and hope to find a spear or a boomerang or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

See if you can find a desert nearby and make your starter sword out of cactus because the cactus sword is comically oversized compared to basically all the normal mode melee weapons.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

See if you can find a desert nearby and make your starter sword out of cactus because the cactus sword is comically oversized compared to basically all the normal mode melee weapons.

Yes, make your sword out of cactus. Make your armor out of cactus. Make your home and furniture out of cactus. Become the Cactus.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Make a bow, melee weapons are horrible until Muramasa and then just bad until they start shooting poo poo like other weapons that don't suck.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Any bow and flaming arrows is really great starting off.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is a lot of information! Especially for someone who saw two slimes, died, then fell in some lava upon respawn, and just before quitting realized you can cut down trees.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Make a wooden yo-yo and become Ness. Every other weapon is sub par compared to the yo-yo.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jastiger posted:

This is a lot of information! Especially for someone who saw two slimes, died, then fell in some lava upon respawn, and just before quitting realized you can cut down trees.

Where did you find lava so soon? Were you just digging straight down?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Took down Moon Lord last night, and while this portal gun is cool, I feel like the only way I'd get substantial use out of it is if it dropped out of the very first chest in the game before acquiring any grappling hooks, multiple jumps, flying mounts, wings, teleporters, or rods of discord. Seems like a waste to have it so incredibly late. Maybe if Terraria gets another major update at some point, I'll just inventory edit the thing in at the beginning of the playthrough.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Where did you find lava so soon? Were you just digging straight down?

Well in fairness it may not have been LAVA. But whatever it was it killed the hell out of me, in a desert biome. I fell down a big pit and died in this liquid that wasn't water.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Then once you get some gems make them into a magic staff because melee is for losers and ranged is for dorks. Magic lets you kill people with a rainbow.

Jastiger posted:

Well in fairness it may not have been LAVA. But whatever it was it killed the hell out of me, in a desert biome. I fell down a big pit and died in this liquid that wasn't water.

Water changes colour depending on what biome you're in. Its still just water though which can actually kill a new player fairly easily since you have no gear to quickly get out of it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hi, I'm super terrible at Terraria and I think you should stick to it, guy from minecraft.

If you were to wiki any one thing, I would say wiki this- http://terraria.gamepedia.com/House

It explains the specific requirements for something to be considered a "house", and therefore a valid location for NPCs to set up shop/trigger their spawn when other requirements are met. The merchant won't spawn unless you have both X money, and an available empty house for example.

There is a menu option that just lets you click on areas to get "Counts as a house? Yes/No? You are missing lighting or comfort item yes/no" but the wiki link explains it more specifically. like "You need at least X tiles of space" or "Y objects count for 'comfort'" and oddities like "Torches don't count as a light source if placed on furniture".

I forget if it was mentioned already, but only player placed walls count for housing/preventing monster spawn. Dirt walls you craft and place yourself will work, but not natural dirt walls that were already there, etc. Hitting CTRL to turn on smart cursor is also great for filling in walls, then it just has you slather walls in a wide area around you automatically.

Smart cursor also makes digging a lot easier most of the time. Want a tunnel to walk through? Turn on smart cursor and keep your mouse pointer just in the general direction you wanna go while holding M1. Want to mine out that chunk of tin/copper? hold if over the general area while close enough to dig and it will prefer to dig up the metals. It's not perfect, but 90% of the time it's the way to go.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 25, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I have no idea why shortswords still exist besides as a newbie trap.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

I have no idea why shortswords still exist besides as a newbie trap.

I suppose it would be "Beats removing them entirely from the game"? Shortswords only have normal mode ore versions anyways.

Some easily noticed newbie hint that "Hey, did you know a wooden sword is practically twice the damage of that copper shortsword you got there?" would be great though. A no foreknowledge "common sense" view would not expect "Wood > copper anything"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Somebody convince me to use a weapon that's not a yoyo. Even though I got my hands on the Vampire Knives, I still use yoyos because they're way more fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Make shortswords able to poke in any direction. Bam, they now have a reason to exist. Faster stabs than a broadsword swing, but a swing has more damage per hit, a wider arc and better range. If you want to avoid players having a viable weapon from the start, give them a "poking stick" which functions exactly as the current copper shortsword.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SirSamVimes posted:

Make shortswords able to poke in any direction. Bam, they now have a reason to exist. Faster stabs than a broadsword swing, but a swing has more damage per hit, a wider arc and better range. If you want to avoid players having a viable weapon from the start, give them a "poking stick" which functions exactly as the current copper shortsword.

Spears exist.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SirSamVimes posted:

Isn't this basically a Spear? Then again, there's not too many pre-hardmode spears.

e:fb

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Similar to a spear, but you'd be losing the range and the fact that a spear can hit multiple times per stab for the fact that a shortsword is able to be made earlier than the craftable spears.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

idk man I recently started using yoyos also and they seem insanely good, makes swords look like a joke

in fact I just realized I could have crafted a yoyo bag ages ago, time to do that

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The OP is fairly cluttered, but it sounds like there's some desire for a "New to the game? Here's some quick hints!" section. So that's what I'm going to add in next, probably near the very top.

So I'm looking for more poo poo to add to that section, to help new players.

"The sword you start with is garbage, replace it quickly"
"Ask the guide about crafting, give him an item, and he'll show you what you can make with that item."
"Houses should be at least 6 blocks high and a decent length"
"Only walls you put up yourself count for housing"
"Rope is amazing, always carry some in the early game"

and so on.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Really, you don't need to be given a weak weapon to start with, since you already have the pick and the axe. Heck, the starting axe is probably a better weapon than the shortsword.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

Took down Moon Lord last night, and while this portal gun is cool, I feel like the only way I'd get substantial use out of it is if it dropped out of the very first chest in the game before acquiring any grappling hooks, multiple jumps, flying mounts, wings, teleporters, or rods of discord. Seems like a waste to have it so incredibly late. Maybe if Terraria gets another major update at some point, I'll just inventory edit the thing in at the beginning of the playthrough.

Does it work like the mod in minecraft? Left click one portal color right click another? If so put a portal in your base and then go mining or whatever and then portal out. Unload your crap and then jump back to where you came from.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Holyshoot posted:

Does it work like the mod in minecraft? Left click one portal color right click another? If so put a portal in your base and then go mining or whatever and then portal out. Unload your crap and then jump back to where you came from.

The portals only work within ~1500 blocks of each other. Any further than that, and the game despawns them. But yes, it otherwise works the same as the portal gun should.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Should I be playing on expert difficulty if I want access to everything the game has to potentially offer? I'm not a huge fan of the frustrating enemies but I hate being locked out of content even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unbalanced posted:

Should I be playing on expert difficulty if I want access to everything the game has to potentially offer? I'm not a huge fan of the frustrating enemies but I hate being locked out of content even more.

Each boss drops a unique item in expert mode only.