Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

drgitlin posted:

Spent a few days in Detroit this week. GM were nice enough to lend me this to use:

Holy poo poo it's fast. Too fast for the street, really. You can't push it very hard because if you do have an accident it's going to be an enormous one.

Ford had this on display at their Research and Innovation building. The wear on the tires suggest it had been driven enthusiastically, too:

Sounds like I will get to drive one at some point later this year. #blessed, as Lewis Hamilton might say.

Jealous. I really like the styling of the new Mustangs a lot for some reason. Like, it just looks super good and aggressive to me. The aero kit on that GT350 just makes it even better :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I haven't been a fan of Mustangs from fox bodies until now specifically because I find them ugly but those GT350Rs are damned nice looking.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

T1g4h posted:

Jealous. I really like the styling of the new Mustangs a lot for some reason. Like, it just looks super good and aggressive to me. The aero kit on that GT350 just makes it even better :allears:

Seriously. The new Mustangs and new Corvettes both are just in a totally different league now compared to 5-10 years ago, appearance-wise.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

angryhampster posted:

Seriously. The new Mustangs and new Corvettes both are just in a totally different league now compared to 5-10 years ago, appearance-wise.

We had a 5.0 come in to the auction yesterday and I gawked at the thing for like 10 minutes. It looks good in pictures but holy gently caress is it stunning in person.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Driving down 1-96 between Detroit and Lansing I have had the opportunity to see a group of 3 gt350R's coming the opposite way, accross a median about 100 yards wide. I could hear them through my closed windows with the air blasting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tindjin posted:

Saw this little thing running down the road few days ago here in Abq. Not sure if it is a real 'rallye' car or if just a tribute but it looked like a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I love older 911s.

What up ABQ buddy, I just moved here.

Hope to see that one on the road some day... Meanwhile there's a Karmann Ghia a few doors down and what I think is a 280zx nearby.

I saw one for the terrible thread a few days back. Shitbox with 4 tiny wheels all sticking way out from the wheelwells, cambered like a motherfucker... And broken down on Carlisle. Seriously, it looked like a soapbox car, those wheels were so far out.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Snapped shots of a couple cool things the last few days. Saw this on the highway - I don't know what it was but it was huge and sounded like the Devil after a fifth of Wild Turkey. My first instinct was to doublecheck and make sure it wasnt Jay Leno. Is this a restoration of some old race car or a modern kit thing? It looked like it had historical plates. Either way it was badass and I want one:

This out on the street the other day and while I'm not a Toyota guy I stopped to check it out because it was clean as hell. I figured it was probably kind of a rarity too since it was 4wd?? While I stood there admiring it, the nice looking young lady who owned it came outside and told me her dad gave it to her. I told her it was really cool and ran away before I got myself into any trouble (I am not a single man and have too many vehicles already):

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy hell that's gorgeous.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This out on the street the other day and while I'm not a Toyota guy I stopped to check it out because it was clean as hell. I figured it was probably kind of a rarity too since it was 4wd?? While I stood there admiring it, the nice looking young lady who owned it came outside and told me her dad gave it to her. I told her it was really cool and ran away before I got myself into any trouble (I am not a single man and have too many vehicles already):

The original mod of AI had one of those Tercel 4WD wagons

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Are these worth a ton now since Breaking Bad? I assume Pontiac Aztecs aren't.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Snapped shots of a couple cool things the last few days. Saw this on the highway - I don't know what it was but it was huge and sounded like the Devil after a fifth of Wild Turkey. My first instinct was to doublecheck and make sure it wasnt Jay Leno. Is this a restoration of some old race car or a modern kit thing? It looked like it had historical plates. Either way it was badass and I want one:

Both cars are gorgeous - I'd have still stuck around to talk about the Toyota regardless, I'd love to know how well maintained it is considering it sounds like the girl may be the literal second owner. Those little boxy wagons were cool as hell and had personality, if I didn't have my current car I'd have gone with some kind of smaller 4WD wagon like that. Subaru comes to mind, always liked their late 90s/early 00s Outback Sport wagons and the original Foresters that had the small truck/SUV look but weren't overly massive.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

davebo posted:

Are these worth a ton now since Breaking Bad? I assume Pontiac Aztecs aren't.

The end of the world and them being the only living cars wouldn't make them worth anything.

Aztecs that is, the Tercel is cool.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Practically every car in the mountains in Colorado where my mom lives is either an 80s Tercel, or any Subaru. See an SUV? Spot the Texan or Californian.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

The end of the world and them being the only living cars wouldn't make them worth anything.

Aztecs that is, the Tercel is cool.

It really pains me that the Aztec could have been so cool, but it was so goddamn ugly that it's not worth even considering.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

0toShifty posted:

Practically every car in the mountains in Colorado where my mom lives is either an 80s Tercel, or any Subaru. See an SUV? Spot the Texan or Californian.

common you forgot 4 runners

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Holy hell that's gorgeous.

Ozz81 posted:

Both cars are gorgeous

You guys are talking about an ugly 80's shitbox. :lol: I love cool wagons as much as more than the next guy but that's absurd.

Great condition, sure. Pretty? Not so much.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Preoptopus posted:

common you forgot 4 runners

Only allowed if the back door window motor is broken

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Larrymer posted:

You guys are talking about an ugly 80's shitbox. :lol: I love cool wagons as much as more than the next guy but that's absurd.

It's cool, you can be wrong

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Been a fun few weeks at work, some highlights:

1969 Ford Mustang:

Standard issue 302/Auto. That's mud on the rear quarter, other than that it was clean and straight.

1940 Chevrolet Special Deluxe:

The original front subframe was replaced with one out of a 74 Nova and fitted with a mildly built small block Chevy V8 and overdrive automatic.

1957 Cadillac El Dorado Brougham:

The pictures don't do it justice, there's so much factory chrome on this behemoth it's ridiculous. :stare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Spotted on the NJ Parkway northbound from the shore. Shame about the bumpers.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I took a bunch of photos of the GM Heritage Collection: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/gms-heritage-collection-fuel-cells-evs-concept-cars-and-more/

And here are some pics that didn't make it into the post:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I took a bunch of photos of the GM Heritage Collection: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/gms-heritage-collection-fuel-cells-evs-concept-cars-and-more/

And here are some pics that didn't make it into the post:

Omg it's like... A GM built.. convertible.. Ferrari 456? From 1985?? :psypop:

Those Cimarrons were utter garbage, weren't they?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Linedance posted:

...it has two windscreens for both sets of seats?????????????????

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate that Corvair Monza GT? God, that is such a cool looking car :allears:

Also, I will never stop loving the '73 Aerovette. That has always been one of my favorite Corvette prototypes, really wish it would have seen production.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Root Bear posted:

1957 Cadillac El Dorado Brougham:

The pictures don't do it justice, there's so much factory chrome on this behemoth it's ridiculous. :stare:

I thought the '57 had the single headlights and they started the quads in '58s :shrug:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Larrymer posted:

I see this all the time at the bike shop. People who grew up in the 70s and consequently think everything from the 70s was awesome and gorgeous. It wasn't, the 70s and 80s were hideous, and part of the 60s too. Some things made in the 70s were exciting and powerful but none of them were beautiful. Beautiful was in the 30s.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

toplitzin posted:

I thought the '57 had the single headlights and they started the quads in '58s :shrug:

Normal '57 Cadillacs had dual headlights, the Eldorado Brougham was an ultra low production special model and had them a year early. That car cost more than the median US house price when it was new.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rocket_350 posted:

Normal '57 Cadillacs had dual headlights, the Eldorado Brougham was an ultra low production special model and had them a year early. That car cost more than the median US house price when it was new.

Not only that, it cost more than most Bentleys/Rolls-Royces of the time as well. Cadillac used to be a legitimate Luxury car, in every sense of the word.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

That dark concept that looks to be based on the bubble caprice body with Enterprise-D seats and pop-up headlights is pure sex, and if I'm wrong, I don't want to be right.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I realize that a Scirocco R is a bit old hat at this point but this is the second one that I have ever seen in person and the first one I was able to get a close look at:

The exhaust note as he pulled out of the parking area and zoomed up the hill was appropriately throaty without being obnoxious.

Also the owner was cool with my wife and I ogling it and taking a bunch of pictures. His girlfriend, however, was a bit mystified by our fawning over her boyfriend's ride. :v:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Linedance posted:

Weren't they gussied up cavaliers?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bennyfactor posted:

That dark concept that looks to be based on the bubble caprice body with Enterprise-D seats and pop-up headlights is pure sex, and if I'm wrong, I don't want to be right.

1992 Cadillac Presidential concept.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

glyph posted:

Weren't they gussied up cavaliers?

More or less, yeah. Cadillac J-Body. GM decision-making at its finest.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

More or less, yeah. Cadillac J-Body. GM decision-making at its finest.

Probably a good thing they would never repeat that same mistake under the new GM.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I see this all the time at the bike shop. People who grew up in the 70s and consequently think everything from the 70s was awesome and gorgeous. It wasn't, the 70s and 80s were hideous, and part of the 60s too. Some things made in the 70s were exciting and powerful but none of them were beautiful. Beautiful was in the 30s.

You could also take it as a natural reaction to modern car design. Everything these days is overcurved and overly aggressive, there is a certain beauty in the boxy simplicity of that Tercel. Personally though I'm all 90s all the time which plays more to your interpretation :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Okay so Mr Regulary did an FD RX7. Predictably funny and thoughtful, but he has his shtick well established by now so frankly that's not the remarkable part.

Out of the comments came this nugget of the purest 24-karat comedy right loving here: https://soundcloud.com/mr-marbles/ooh-mazdaboy-tellem-regular-cars-mazda-rx-7-fd-remix

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Friar Zucchini posted:

Okay so Mr Regulary did an FD RX7. Predictably funny and thoughtful, but he has his shtick well established by now so frankly that's not the remarkable part.

Out of the comments came this nugget of the purest 24-karat comedy right loving here: https://soundcloud.com/mr-marbles/ooh-mazdaboy-tellem-regular-cars-mazda-rx-7-fd-remix

Haha, I noticed the initial comment asking for a remix and a guy saying he would and here we are... INTERNET. :allears:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Powershift posted:

Probably a good thing they would never repeat that same mistake under the new GM.

TBF the basic underpinnings of the new cars is a lot better than the J could ever hope to be :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

This is the best thing I've seen/heard all day. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

99% chance you've never even been in one, driven one, let alone seen one in person (unless it's at a dealership). :v: I have, and they're a pretty nice car (much, much nicer than a Volt) but were silly expensive initially. Still seem high to me but that's my brain saying "you can get a Corvette for that" which isn't really a fair comparison.