Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Star Cannon is still the great equalizer for normal mode bosses. It took about 300 stars to kill expert WoF without necro armor or the ammo usage buff, but it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Is soloing expert Lunar Event and Moon Lord as melee reasonably possible? The expert Pillars are destroying me. Maybe it's time to go with another build, but if it's at all possible I'd like to finish the whole thing as melee.

The lunar event definitely. Go for the Solar pillar first and craft both weapons,, stay on the ground as much as possible on that one because Crawltipedes will slaughter you if you fly. Be sure to put down banners as you get them. I died a ton against all of the pillars on my first run, but the second one went smoother thanks to Stardust Dragon and the Solar weapons. The rest you should be able to clear with the UFO mount and smart use of Vampire Knives, Solar Eruption and Flairon.

I'm still working on a strategy for surviving the Moon Lord, but Daybreak really seems to gently caress him up pretty well. I've been going all offense (Beetle Scale, Celestial Shell/Stone and all the +melee accessories I can fit) but will probably try a tankier setup next time.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Goddamn, expert mode is no joke. I died five times to loving skeletron before killing him, this was with molten gear and a premade arena. All of the bosses gain new attacks that make them more difficult and every boss enters a "rage mode" upon getting low enough health that makes them do loads of damage and be hard to hit. I ended up farming queen bee and taking down the WoF with a combination of a really loving long bridge, beenades, the bee bow, and the Phoenix blaster.

The drops are great though. Shield of Cthulu is amazing for bosses and general mobility. Bone glove is a good throwing weapon useful up to the WoF. Brain of Confusion is meh. Bee pack is good for your bee gear that you should be using because it's good damage and bzzzz. Plus the general increase in drop rates means you get good gear faster.

Now I'm just wondering what expert hardmode will be like, I hope I'm prepared.

Make a world with Corruption, dig up chunks of it, and try to build a pocket Corruption biome in your main world. The Eater of Worlds' Expert Mode item is quite nice.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Finally beat Moon Lord on hardmode, only boss I actually had to build an arena for. 200 block asphalt runway with bumpers on either end and a room for the nurse attached to the underside in the middle. Ninja dash to dodge lasers, solar sword thing that goes through blocks as primary with star dragon backup. Never even needed to jump. Second phase is a joke, since the heart winds up right under the runway. No vampire knives or shroomite needed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

OH MY loving GOD MEDUSA, NOT NOW :argh: :argh: :argh:

I overkill sealed the entire marble biome nearby in dirt. I sealed all below entrances to my underground fight room with the queen bee by shooting the larva.

There's no such thing as sealing biomes. Terraria biome works this way: "are there at least X blocks belonging to biome type? If yes, then spawn things from that biome". Medusas and hoplites don't appear inside marble areas, they appear when there is marble nearby. You want to neutralize a marble biome, you don't fill it with dirt, you mine the hell out of it until there's no marble left.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then you build a base out of it. Trust me this is completely safe.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
I know the OP recommends against in, but I think I wanna use a large world for my main. Am I going to hate myself? (Playing solo btw)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Apparition posted:

I know the OP recommends against in, but I think I wanna use a large world for my main. Am I going to hate myself? (Playing solo btw)

Go for it. Large worlds have shitloads of materials to use and lots of space in which to build.

That warning is mostly a holdover from the 1.1 thread, where I'm sure it had a good reason for existing. I'm just too lazy to edit it out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it just means you have a chance at a long trek your first few times to the jungle/corruption/ocean/whatever. if you're OK with that, its fine. the trip is basically instant after minecarts anyways

edit: as a ranged character, i'm having trouble giving up my frost armor for something else. i have a set of legendary fetid bakhnahk and i like to swap into those and i lose like 400 DPS going from say, frost armor to melee-chlorophyte. shroomite is probably a net loss too if I don't abuse the stealth damage bonus. is frost armor late-game acceptable until starburst or whatever?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 27, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, having never really got very far in Terraria, I decided to give it another go for 1.3, and I've been intentionally trying to avoid using external resources, working things out for myself on Expert Mode. Is it madness, because it feels a bit like post-Gold items, it's not evident what I'm supposed to really do next; Hell gets you killed very quickly whilst Demonite seems to be so rare I've no chance of getting a reasonable amount without just scouring the map incredibly slowly.

Have I just gone wrong somewhere here?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Terraria isn't really built well enough to be comfortably playable without outside sources like the wiki. Unless you're really hellbent on not using them, I guess. It has so many items that combine into something else and little things you'd have to spend hours to discover (if at all) so using the wiki when in doubt does not diminish the enjoyment IMO.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah there's just way too much stuff you have no way of knowing about if you don't look up at least a basic progression guide, or have somebody to lead you through. If you want a really basic non spoilery hint for the specific situation you mentioned, there's a much better source for demonite that doesn't involve mining it out in the world, and it's also the only way to get the other material you need to really make anything good with that demonite.

Also, don't play expert mode. Especially solo, and especially if you never really got that far in normal mode, it's really not worth the added frustration and tedium.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Guide generalls gives you pretty good hints for stuff to do in the first 2/3rds or so of pre-hardmode. Have you beaten the Eye of Cthulhu yet? Because it sounds like you're missing a good amount of pre-hardmode progression if you're trying to do hell with gold stuff.

That said forgetting that there is a literal "tell me what to do next" NPC is perfectly understandable.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I tried talking to the Guide, he didn't seem to have much in the way of advice that seemed that practical.

I know the Corruption is a thing, but with Gold things in Expert, you just get gibbed by the worms; The Eaters of Souls are fine, but Devourers are pretty difficult to avoid, and you'll just take enough to kill you pretty sharpish.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Eye of Cthulhu is before corruption. He randomly appears on some nights once you hit 200 HP I think (and you can forge a summoning item for him using lenses on a demon altar).

My advice would be to rambo into a corruption tunnel thing and use (sticky) bombs to break into a shadow orb chamber with them and destroy it. If you destroy just one nothing bad will happen, it will drop you a decent-ish corruption item and it will enable meteorires, which are a very straightforward way to get large amounts of decent pre-hardmode ore.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Eye of Cthulhu is before corruption. He randomly appears on some nights once you hit 200 HP I think (and you can forge a summoning item for him using lenses on a demon altar).

My advice would be to rambo into a corruption tunnel thing and use (sticky) bombs to break into a shadow orb chamber with them and destroy it. If you destroy just one nothing bad will happen, it will drop you a decent-ish corruption item and it will enable meteorires, which are a very straightforward way to get large amounts of decent pre-hardmode ore.

Do this between midnight and 4:30 AM game time.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Wall of Flesh is giving me a hell of a time on this character for no reason. I've got full Molten armour, a Phoenix Blaster and a Boomstick, but I just can't seem to out DPS the bastard. I think I need to tear down my hellbridge and build a better one :negative: Yay

I found the Hellwing bow (that turns wood arrows into bats) made the Wall of Flesh incredibly easy, the projectiles are piercing so they hit multiple times, fires fast as gently caress, it basically shreds him especially if you stand up close after clearing the tentacles and fire up hitting multiple paarts. After a bit of practice I could kill him in like 20 seconds with it while wearing Molten Armor and no special ranged buffs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Verviticus posted:

it just means you have a chance at a long trek your first few times to the jungle/corruption/ocean/whatever. if you're OK with that, its fine. the trip is basically instant after minecarts anyways

edit: as a ranged character, i'm having trouble giving up my frost armor for something else. i have a set of legendary fetid bakhnahk and i like to swap into those and i lose like 400 DPS going from say, frost armor to melee-chlorophyte. shroomite is probably a net loss too if I don't abuse the stealth damage bonus. is frost armor late-game acceptable until starburst or whatever?

Anything's acceptable if you can win in it, but you're wrong about shroomite being a drop in damage. The stealth bonus is gravy, but I never used it. Shroomite's only problem is if you're using a variety of ranged weapons instead of just bullet weapons, just arrow weapons, etc. Even then it's ok if you're willing to make multiple helmets and quick-swap them. (right-click)

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Got my first martian invasion, apparently I accidentally built a pretty good setup for dealing with the Saucers

RIP Terra Blade, barely used.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kinda prefer the terrablade because its projectile penetrates more mobs, though I have not tried influx waver against a boss.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Acne Rain posted:

I kinda prefer the terrablade because its projectile penetrates more mobs, though I have not tried influx waver against a boss.

Influx Waver is a fantastic fire and forget weapon, plus it sheds a LOT of light. Nothing compared to Solar weapons but hey, it's still fun. And will last your pure melee styles until you get a star wrath or meowmere.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Expert Frost Moon was slaughtering me until I jumped ahead to the Martian invasion and picked up an Influx Waver. With that I was able to take down the Santa mechs and Ice Queens handily.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
For a new run, is there anything I should bring over with me, or should I start BAREBONES

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Are jungle temple traps really necessary fro the pumpkin and frost moons, or will an arena with hearts and decent post Plantera weapons do?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xenaero posted:

For a new run, is there anything I should bring over with me, or should I start BAREBONES

I'd bring over quality of life stuff; architect pack, a good pick, money trough, cell phone, etc. Stuff that doesn't give you a massive combat advantage but will make the other aspects of the game, particularly building and digging, actually tolerable.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Xenaero posted:

Endless Water Bucket, seeds for all plants, best fishing rod, any crafting stations that are RNG dependent (extractionator for instance), light pet, and maybe a grappling hook.

I'd stray away from things like strong accessories or wings because those can largely invalidate a lot of progress.

The bucket helps when you have a fishing quest in a biome with no good fishing areas, seeds for plants let you start growing poo poo early, the best fishing rod makes it so you can just make a hole in the ground, throw water in it, and fish successfully, bullshit random crafting stations are just nice for simplicity sake, a pet light alleviates the need for so many torches (still good to have them), and a grappling hook just prevents you from needing to make a shitload of platforms early on.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd bring over quality of life stuff; architect pack, a good pick, money trough, cell phone, etc. Stuff that doesn't give you a massive combat advantage but will make the other aspects of the game, particularly building and digging, actually tolerable.

I'll echo this too, the architect pack is fantastic, the money trough lets you carry vitals around with you, the cell phone is just handy, and a good pick (so long as you don't abuse it) can really make the early game much more enjoyable.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Xenaero posted:

Drill Rig.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shockeh posted:

I tried talking to the Guide, he didn't seem to have much in the way of advice that seemed that practical.

I know the Corruption is a thing, but with Gold things in Expert, you just get gibbed by the worms;
This is why we are recommending you not play expert blind.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
tbh I don't see the point of a new run if you bring a bunch of useful poo poo with you from the last run. People play differently so I'm not saying ignore the other advice. If I were you I would just bring over building materials so you can make a cool town/fort right at the start without having to mine forever with your lovely starter pick.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Expert Frost Moon was slaughtering me until I jumped ahead to the Martian invasion and picked up an Influx Waver. With that I was able to take down the Santa mechs and Ice Queens handily.

What does it do against those that terra blade doesn't? Do you have an arena set up for moon events?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Shockeh posted:

So, having never really got very far in Terraria, I decided to give it another go for 1.3, and I've been intentionally trying to avoid using external resources, working things out for myself on Expert Mode. Is it madness, because it feels a bit like post-Gold items, it's not evident what I'm supposed to really do next; Hell gets you killed very quickly whilst Demonite seems to be so rare I've no chance of getting a reasonable amount without just scouring the map incredibly slowly.

Have I just gone wrong somewhere here?

The next step really is to get 6 lenses and head to a demon altar.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Acne Rain posted:

What does it do against those that terra blade doesn't? Do you have an arena set up for moon events?

The Influx Waver shoots a beam sword like the Terra Blade, but the beam sword doubles back to get two more whacks against anything that survived it the first time. Also a regular Influx Waver does one more point of damage than a Legendary Terra Blade.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I know that, I mean tactically. I have both but I am shying away from moon events for now, just wondering why terrablade would be insufficient in the same place.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Zereth posted:

This is why we are recommending you not play expert blind.

To that end, I updated the top of the OP. I removed the "don't play on large worlds" bit and replaced it with...

If you are new to the game, do not make an expert mode world!

Expert mode assumes you know how to play the game already, and adjusts the difficulty accordingly. Early game monsters will kill you in one hit. It is not fun and you will hate this game if you try it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I'll echo this too, the architect pack is fantastic, the money trough lets you carry vitals around with you, the cell phone is just handy, and a good pick (so long as you don't abuse it) can really make the early game much more enjoyable.

Yeah I'd say the ideal pick to bring over would be a reaver shark. Fast enough that mining isn't a pain and if you really wanted too you could rush to the ocean and fish one up anyways so its not like your sequence breaking much.

Question: How exactly does the lunar even work? Once you activate it do you have to clear the entire drat thing or is there a way to cancel it?

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

I know that, I mean tactically. I have both but I am shying away from moon events for now, just wondering why terrablade would be insufficient in the same place.

The moon event minibosses have very low drop rates when they first start showing up, it's not until wave 12+ where they start giving up the goods reliably. In later waves you also wind up facing multiples of them so packing damage accessories and killing them ASAP is your first priority. The UFO also helps a lot for the events because you can drop the wings and boots you're probably wearing for more +damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So what's the best way to trigger a UFO invasion, place a water candle on a sky island, chug a battle potion, and hold another water candle?

Also finally got a radar (made a new world because fuch the finish rng) and made PDA then upgraded to a cellphone. :woop

YF-23 posted:

I'd got the pirate stuff and discount card I think in my first pirate invasion. Which was good, because pirate invasions will loving murder you if you're not on the level where you could stand up against the mechanical bosses, and I definitely wasn't ready, so some compensation was due for that. :catstare:

Dig a pit, put a floating room above it with a door opening over the pit. Get a nimbus rod and spider queen staff. Congrats, you just beat the pirate invasion!

oddium posted:

combine all those fragments from the lizard temple into clay tablets and farm solar eclipses until money is a petty concern

If you feel insane you can try doing this on the pumpkin moon event too but surviving wave 15 on expert is impossible unless you're running away at full speed via a world-wide cart track or maybe the UFO. Last night I counted 9 Pumpkings when I got sandwiched and mulched by them. There's probably dozens of mourning woods too.

The Spooky Armor is much better than the Tiki armor too isn't it? You get less summons but you have significantly more damage. Using dragon staff + spooky armor and then the tiki necklace, avenger emblem, papyrus scroll(?), beetle wings, ankh shield (sometimes swapped for worm scarf), and frostspark boots. It seems to do decently but holy poo poo the moon lord just blows me away, especially when his big fuckoff beam cannon fires.

DoubleNegative posted:

Go for it. Large worlds have shitloads of materials to use and lots of space in which to build.

That warning is mostly a holdover from the 1.1 thread, where I'm sure it had a good reason for existing. I'm just too lazy to edit it out.

In older versions, large worlds didn't have that much more ore and other stuff than medium worlds did, so you ended up with the ore and treasure simply being spread out more with lots of extra dirt and rock and other garbage in your way. If ore density is uniform now then the only reason not to make a large world is because, well, it's huge.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Spooky Armor is much better than the Tiki armor too isn't it? You get less summons but you have significantly more damage. Using dragon staff + spooky armor and then the tiki necklace, avenger emblem, papyrus scroll(?), beetle wings, ankh shield (sometimes swapped for worm scarf), and frostspark boots. It seems to do decently but holy poo poo the moon lord just blows me away, especially when his big fuckoff beam cannon fires.

If you have 100 damage per minion, and 6 minions, 1 more minion is 700 damage, and 600 * 1.25 is 750. More minions is better when you have fewer, more damage is better when you have more minions. That... sounded weird.

code:
Number of Minions | Damage Per Minion | Total + 1 Minion | Total + 25% damage
1                   100                 200                125
2                   100                 300                250
3                   100                 400                375
4                   100                 500                500 Break Even
5                   100                 600                625
6                   100                 700                750
7                   100                 800                875
Fairly sure the dragon doesn't scale linearly with more segments anyway so more damage would be king.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Terraria isn't really built well enough to be comfortably playable without outside sources like the wiki. Unless you're really hellbent on not using them, I guess. It has so many items that combine into something else and little things you'd have to spend hours to discover (if at all) so using the wiki when in doubt does not diminish the enjoyment IMO.

Everything that combines into something else is labelled as a material and the guide will tell you every recipe it is used in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Evil Fluffy posted:

So what's the best way to trigger a UFO invasion, place a water candle on a sky island, chug a battle potion, and hold another water candle?

Build a platform right at the edge of your map either to the top left or top right in space. Position it so its about the middle of the screen with nothing to scroll toward the edge. Put some blocks and some wall to stand against ( so wyverns don't spawn.) + battle potion and water candle. Might just need water candle.

Fastest I've had a probe spawn was right when I got there.