Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anyone else getting random crashes and then steam freezes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Anyone else getting random crashes and then steam freezes?

I did. Disable Steam cloud in Terraria.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jusupov posted:

Build a platform right at the edge of your map either to the top left or top right in space. Position it so its about the middle of the screen with nothing to scroll toward the edge. Put some blocks and some wall to stand against ( so wyverns don't spawn.) + battle potion and water candle. Might just need water candle.

Wyverns don't spawn if you're standing on a back wall?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Will this work to farm crimson/frozen/jungle keys post hard mode? The top left is crimson ice, the top right is mud and the bottom right is ice.

Edit: got a frozen key, not sure if crimson drops though anyone care to comment?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 27, 2015

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Question: How exactly does the lunar even work? Once you activate it do you have to clear the entire drat thing or is there a way to cancel it?
You have to clear the entire thing.

It activates as soon as you defeat the Lunar Cultist. The Final Boss also spawns very shortly after the last PIllar is destroyed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Internet Kraken posted:

Question: How exactly does the lunar even work? Once you activate it do you have to clear the entire drat thing or is there a way to cancel it?

It doesn't go away but pillars enemies don't stray too far from their spawn so you can leave them for as long as you want. Moon Lord spawns about a minute after the last pillar dies though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
However, they do spawn under the pillars underground.

I'd stay away until you've got at least one martian invasion under your belt

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you feel insane you can try doing this on the pumpkin moon event too but surviving wave 15 on expert is impossible unless you're running away at full speed via a world-wide cart track or maybe the UFO. Last night I counted 9 Pumpkings when I got sandwiched and mulched by them. There's probably dozens of mourning woods too.

It's not expert mode, but,

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Edit: got a frozen key, not sure if crimson drops though anyone care to comment?

My set up didn't have jungle blocks but assuming jungle doesn't override crimson (it shouldn't) then yeah, crimson ice will let crimson keys drop.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
This moon dude seems kinda bs

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

grancheater posted:

This moon dude seems kinda bs

I have been killed by him twice, but that means I'm on my third invasion I have a plan this time

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If I equip full stardust armor summon the dragon to full then take off the armor will he stay huge?

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
If you have no skill you can solo him with a box, stand in honey, heart lantern, beetle shell armor, 150hp heal pots, band of myths, ice tortoise shell, ankh shield, paladin shield, ufo, endurance pot and inronskin pot and regeneration pot. Stand in box and hit him casually because he can't outdamage you and the box blocks lasers. Make sure you kill his 3 locations as simultaneously as possible because the eyes will rip through you box and all.

As soon as you have exposed the core go flying and keep a lot of distance from him and just poke him to death.

oh, solar eruption of course and make sure your poo poo is warding or armored.

Need to get a bit lucky/skilled with the lasers in the second mode too. He's not that hard when you use the box tactic tbh.

Expert mode ofc.

Or just git gud:
https://youtu.be/xarud63JW5Y

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I have a godly megashark and frost armor but even with buff potions, 5/6 Warding accessories, and an asphalt walkway lined with regen I'm still having trouble taking Expert The Twins and Skeletron Prime down. What is the best ammo type to use pre-chlorophyte? I have the steampunker available and a lot of gold for the more expensive types.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Desperate Character posted:

I have a godly megashark and frost armor but even with buff potions, 5/6 Warding accessories, and an asphalt walkway lined with regen I'm still having trouble taking Expert The Twins and Skeletron Prime down. What is the best ammo type to use pre-chlorophyte? I have the steampunker available and a lot of gold for the more expensive types.

I'd be going for cursed, ichor and crystal bullets. The Skeletron head itself is immune to the cursed flames debuff, so crystal might end up doing more damage and help take out the appendages. Use high velocity bullets (crafted from cogs and empty casings) if you keep missing all the time, I guess?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright why won't the tree on the right grow???

The tree on the left sprouted after taking this screenshot, but the one on the right never grows. No matter how long I wait it never seems to sprout and I have no clue why it doesn't look like there should be any problems.

EDIT: I guess complaining in the thread works since it grew after that. Too bad it was the wrong height so I had to chop it down! :shepicide:

How far do you have to be from a tree for it to grow?

VVV It has to be the proper height so it fits into the tank, otherwise it will pop out of the top and annoy me :spergin:

If I'm gonna do a stupid project I do it right.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 28, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright why won't the tree on the right grow???

The tree on the left sprouted after taking this screenshot, but the one on the right never grows. No matter how long I wait it never seems to sprout and I have no clue why it doesn't look like there should be any problems.

EDIT: I guess complaining in the thread works since it grew after that. Too bad it was the wrong height so I had to chop it down! :shepicide:

How far do you have to be from a tree for it to grow?

... "wrong height"?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I thought Solar pillar was bad, but Nebula is a thousand times worse by far just because of those teleporting guys that may as well be unignorable crawltipedes since they teleport in front of you as you're moving, causing melee damage every drat time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bah nope. Can't get into it. Just too much to lern in too little time before it become sboring. neat little game though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

S.T.C.A. posted:

I thought Solar pillar was bad, but Nebula is a thousand times worse by far just because of those teleporting guys that may as well be unignorable crawltipedes since they teleport in front of you as you're moving, causing melee damage every drat time.

First pillar we went after was to make a dragon staff and after that was vortex. By the time the multiplayer game I was in got to the other two we had vortex beat and space dragon murder for all the enemies.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

:agreed:

The teleporting guys are annoying assholes that hurt a bunch, but the real fuckers that will murder you are the evolution beasts because they will fire off homing shots that go through walls, you can't shoot down the shots, and they persist over multiple hits, hitting like a truck each time. At least the swarms of blinding dudes die quickly.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
whoa the Medusa Head is loving awesome

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
wait wait wait.. can you really get the reaver shark from the beginning of the game? Does it just take forever?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I just got Vampire Knives. What are some good armors and accessories to go with it?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

If you are stuck on Moon Lord, I managed to solo him after many attempts with a daybreak and beetle husk armor, plus many pots and cheesing him via mine cart.

Then I killed him finally and got the SDMG and made vortex armor so I kill him even faster.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Apparition posted:

wait wait wait.. can you really get the reaver shark from the beginning of the game? Does it just take forever?

A lot less than forever, but yes. Sonar potions, enough wood to make a little fishing hut on the ocean so enemies don't bother you, and enough iron to make a reinforced fishing rod will make that go even faster, too. All you need is enough bait.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

jerichojx posted:

I just got Vampire Knives. What are some good armors and accessories to go with it?

Beetle armour (damage version), fire gauntlet

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It looks like I'm going to have to create an expert world, beat everything up to Plantera and then grind like crazy for a crimson key.
I thought one expert world worth of gear was enough.

Apart from going completely insane on a quest for vampire knives, any other tips for soloing the final boss?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Finished the game on expert with my 4-man team the other day. It was a pretty good time, though I felt like it was even easier than last patch despite the higher difficulty mode. Maybe that's what playing with 4 instead of 2 does to Terraria. Figured I'd use the new camera mode thing to take a screenshot of our base, which I regrettably did not do for our 1.2 one which I thought was better.

The stuff on the top left is pasted in from where the other teleporters lead to. One being the space penis (the space music really sells it), and the other being the nurse's office just above our boss arena. I left out a lot of utilitarian poo poo since it's all very spread out and not exceptionally interesting. We ended up having a few more gravestones than my massive crypt could handle, though probably around 25% of those things were from one dude who went afk right before a slime rain kicked in.

I built most of this, though the minecart track/station was someone else's doing, and another guy expanded my anchor to be comically large and hollowed out in order to accommodate our trophies. I keep telling myself we'll go back and get the rest of them like we did last time, but :effort:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Apparition posted:

As soon as I beat the eye and made a fleshcatcher, I ran up to the ocean and it was the first thing that came out.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Dear Moonlord,

Please stop dropping your staff and drop starfury or the yoyo.

Love your biggest fan!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Finally got myself the full vortex armor.

Really looking forward to farming for the S.D.M.G and Celebration :shepicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jusupov posted:

Build a platform right at the edge of your map either to the top left or top right in space. Position it so its about the middle of the screen with nothing to scroll toward the edge. Put some blocks and some wall to stand against ( so wyverns don't spawn.) + battle potion and water candle. Might just need water candle.

Fastest I've had a probe spawn was right when I got there.

I think I set one about where you suggested (near the top of the world but not the very top of it and it's in the middle of the screen with the left side being the edge of the world) and so far all I'm getting is a shitload of harpies. :(

e: The harpies are still dropping pirate maps. Do I need to go up higher to the very edge so space music plays? Still doesn't help. I get about 15 harpies or so and that's all. Killing them just gets another 15. :/

e2: The pillars are out in the world right now, could that be preventing them from ever spawning? If damaging it also can trigger the event I might just idle with a bunch of imps since they probably can't kill the probe fast enough(?), but would still kill the harpies.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2015

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Evil Fluffy posted:

The pillars are out in the world right now, could that be preventing them from ever spawning?

Absolutely. I don't know for sure about the pillars because I haven't beaten them yet, but I was searching fruitlessly for probes all through an Eclipse and less than a minute after it ended I found one.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes, probes won't spawn during any world events or boss fights. So no double goblin / martian invasions. The lunar pillars count like an invasion. Solar eclipses / blood moons do NOT count as invasions though, and are actually pretty good times to probe hunt, due to the increased spawn rates.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

There really should be some sort of meter that fills up or something with the pillars because it feels a lot slower than it actually is since you can't feel your progress which feels really out of place in Terraria.

Also: Phantasm wrecks the Moon Lord, I'm currently using Ichor Arrows which is working well but I'm going to try how the luminite ones work.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How do you get Moonglow? I keep going to the jungle at night, nothing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are you looking underground? It might only spawn there. Regardless, just spend some time smashing stuff in the jungle and you'll get enough seeds too start your own farm easily.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
hes probably trying to do what i did which is skip the annoying part of the game by getting spelunker potions first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Verviticus posted:

hes probably trying to do what i did which is skip the annoying part of the game by getting spelunker potions first

Looking back, this would probably be my number 1 piece of advice. Farm the hell out of spleunker potions.