Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
On my death march replay I'm really noticing loot being broken in dumb ways. It's frustrating to run a level 9 quest and hack down level 12 monsters to find a unique sword so cool that Geralt comments on it only to equip it to find its level 6 and already obsolete.

Why make all these sweet models if you're going to incentivize running with the closest leveled random-rear end Novigrad sword pulled off a bandit up to and in between Witcher blades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it pisses me off to see great looking swords go to waste because I out level them in 10 minutes. It'd be great to have an option to re-roll gear to your level. Maybe make it take about 1000+ crowns to limit use of it. I feel bad seeing these great swords that are out-classed by some crap off of a seedy merchant near the medieval Walmart.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Swedish Horror posted:

Just discovered the cellar entrance under Reardon Manor. :stare:

:)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
For the love of God, Comte!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

"Why the gently caress did you bring the Kingslayer?"

"Eredin's a king isn't he?"

"gently caress you"

Letho gives the barest sliver of a gently caress about going to war with the Wild Hunt and it is amazing. He's the tersest talker throughout the whole mission.

"I'll go with Geralt. Prefer stabbing things."

"Your friend talks too much."

"Good fight. Sucks about the end. Gonna go east. Bye."

And then when Triss is raining fire down on everyone and Geralt and Lambert threw up Quen I wondered where Letho was and then thought, wait, Quen's practically his specialty, he doesn't need a partner to boost it. Then I saw he just decided to use a Wild Hunt corpse as an umbrella. Lethowns.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Subterfrugal posted:

On my death march replay I'm really noticing loot being broken in dumb ways. It's frustrating to run a level 9 quest and hack down level 12 monsters to find a unique sword so cool that Geralt comments on it only to equip it to find its level 6 and already obsolete.

Why make all these sweet models if you're going to incentivize running with the closest leveled random-rear end Novigrad sword pulled off a bandit up to and in between Witcher blades?
While I find having enemies tethered to player level bad (because we end up with Oblivion's bandits wearing full Daedra armor and diamond swords) and it's great that Witcher 3 avoided that mistake - item rewards tethered to player level could own. Every quest giving you something that you can actually have fun with right at that point. There should still be some equipment way above your level to have something to look forward to but those unique swords and armors would be sweet if you could replace your current gear with them.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Looking for suggestions:

I'm currently running a sign build, but want to hybridise signs and combat to go with my awesome bear amour. Aside from Delusion, what signs/combat skills have people found compliment each other?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Maxed out Yrden compliments everything because you slow down enemies to a halt and thus have time to do other stuff to them, be it magic or melee. It's basically a fight-opener sign.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I think the ?'s are meant to be things happening when traveling between islands/between different parts of the same island. That's how I think of them anyway. If I need to get from one place to the other and feel like using a boat, I'll chart a course through as many ? as possible.

I don't actually clear them though, I think all of them so far have been hidden treasures or smugglers' caches.

But that's what he's saying. No one uses the tiny sailboat to get between the Skellige isles. I think I used a boat a small handful of times and each time was quest related. Yet there's still like easily half of the Skellige ?s over the sea. There's no real "get it on the way" for those, they are there simply to be explored (which is fine), but really we need a faster boat for this poo poo. Even if it's only given at the end.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Why is Triss's hair so red? Is this detailed in the novels? It's the brightest red you can possibly produce with computers. Even the girl in the Wendy's logo has hair less red than Triss's.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
One of the devs/reps from CDPR repsonded to the thread on their forums (http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45519-New-Game-is-coming-it-seems?p=1866418&viewfull=1).

:siren: Gwent cards do not carry over for NG+ :siren: :mad:
Other things that won't:
- "useable items"
- quest items (duh)
- books/notes (probably because a lot of them are also quest related for a time)

You do:
- start at whatever level you were, but if you're under 30 you get bumped to that.
- a free potion of clearance too so you can respec.
- keep money
- keep recipes, but not the usable items themselves (lol)

I'm hoping by "useable items" they mean it in the sense that items like food/drink have a separate tab from alchemy/crafting items.

EDIT:
They said the "created elixirs will carry over also". :unsmith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Has anyone crashed when doing the first quest with Corrine Tilly in that "haunted house"? I got int othe room with the cradle and the game crashes :(

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JetsGuy posted:

One of the devs/reps from CDPR repsonded to the thread on their forums (http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45519-New-Game-is-coming-it-seems?p=1866418&viewfull=1).

:siren: Gwent cards do not carry over for NG+ :siren: :mad:
Other things that won't:
- "useable items"
- quest items (duh)
- books/notes (probably because a lot of them are also quest related for a time)

You do:
- start at whatever level you were, but if you're under 30 you get bumped to that.
- a free potion of clearance too so you can respec.
- keep money
- keep recipes, but not the usable items themselves (lol)

I'm hoping by "useable items" they mean it in the sense that items like food/drink have a separate tab from alchemy/crafting items.

EDIT:
They said the "created elixirs will carry over also". :unsmith:

So decoctions carry over, but not potions or bombs, no armor or weapons or gwent cards. Interesting.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

OAquinas posted:

So decoctions carry over, but not potions or bombs, no armor or weapons or gwent cards. Interesting.

Gwent doesn't carry over. Sounds like everything else does. I'm not sure where you're seeing that your gear or consumable items won't carry over. The dev responded to the question about Superior potions directly, indicating we won't have to farm mats and build them all again.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Polo-Rican posted:

Why is Triss's hair so red? Is this detailed in the novels? It's the brightest red you can possibly produce with computers. Even the girl in the Wendy's logo has hair less red than Triss's.

Triss' hair is Auburn/Chestnut (explicitly not red) in the books

Also does anyone have any idea if you will be able to simulate a different Witcher 2 save (answer questions differently when you get shaved in Vizima) in NG+?

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 28, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Triss's hair has gotten redder with each sequel. I guess she just dyes it. It was about right in TW1, ambiguities in translating the color brownish red vs. reddish brown between languages aside.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Polo-Rican posted:

Sorceresses in the Witcher universe use magic to make themselves more attractive, because they can. Yennefer, for example, was actually a hunchback, although the books never really explain if she used magic to fix it, or if it's more like a glamour to just make her appear not to have one. Likewise, it's not unlikely that Triss would use some sort of magic to make her hair pop a bit, although that kinda contradicts the books, since Triss herself is actually allergic to magic being used on herself and has to rely on potions for healing; the books point out that she has a pretty noticeable burn scar on her chest that she feels self conscious about and avoids wearing plunging necklines.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

necrobobsledder posted:

Yeah, it pisses me off to see great looking swords go to waste because I out level them in 10 minutes. It'd be great to have an option to re-roll gear to your level. Maybe make it take about 1000+ crowns to limit use of it. I feel bad seeing these great swords that are out-classed by some crap off of a seedy merchant near the medieval Walmart.

I wish that Witcher Blades/Armor had different models for each level that you could choose from when you make it. Explain it away as witcher in different climates modifying their school's armor or something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

Sorceresses in the Witcher universe use magic to make themselves more attractive, because they can. Yennefer, for example, was actually a hunchback, although the books never really explain if she used magic to fix it, or if it's more like a glamour to just make her appear not to have one.
The books explicitly state magical surgery was used to fix her spine, under the supervision of Tissaia de Vries.

Crappy Jack posted:

Likewise, it's not unlikely that Triss would use some sort of magic to make her hair pop a bit, although that kinda contradicts the books, since Triss herself is actually allergic to magic being used on herself and has to rely on potions for healing;
Triss is allergic to magical substances that are embibed and cannot use potions of any kind. She has to rely on enchanted objects and crap instead to modify anything about herself. She can use magic on herself, she just can't eat/drink magic.

Crappy Jack posted:

the books point out that she has a pretty noticeable burn scar on her chest that she feels self conscious about and avoids wearing plunging necklines.
The books explicitly point out she doesn't have a burn scar on her chest, which is almost indistinguishable from what it was before Sodden Hill, but she wouldn't wear a plunging neckline anyway because of lingering psychological scars. Which she apparently got over at some point, judging by the games.

This is why you should read the actual books and not the fan translations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

Which she apparently got over at some point, judging by the games.
What happens in the games hasn't been accepted by Sapkowski so it's all in the expanded universe territory anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't care honestly. I think CDPR did a good job with it (minus some dodgy bits in TW1) and as far as I'm concerned they're the sequel.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Hey guys -

I got this game recently and spent a lot of money on it considering I bought rocket cars for :20bux: and have had instantaneous for for hours with that one.

The point where I got turned off to Witcher is when they made me play that stupid loving card game. Am I just that much of a moron, or is that game ridiculously bland and stupid?

Call me stubborn, but they introduced me to the game with horrible, horrible directions, then proceeded to kick my rear end. I shut off the game and haven't opened it since. Am I being stupid?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

I would love a temper/reforge option tied to a money sink and Master crafters that pulled items up to your level. Or more elaborately, tempering can only be done once per sword and boosts the item to "your level +2" so I have something to look forward to.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

DirtyTalk posted:

Call me stubborn, but they introduced me to the game with horrible, horrible directions, then proceeded to kick my rear end. I shut off the game and haven't opened it since. Am I being stupid?

Yes. Because you never, ever have to play that game again if you don't want to.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

DirtyTalk posted:

Hey guys -

I got this game recently and spent a lot of money on it considering I bought rocket cars for :20bux: and have had instantaneous for for hours with that one.

The point where I got turned off to Witcher is when they made me play that stupid loving card game. Am I just that much of a moron, or is that game ridiculously bland and stupid?

The game is horrible, Gwent is horrible and we're talking about it due to Stockholm Syndrome (which is modeled in-game in like 80% of the quests). Flee now before you join us forever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

DirtyTalk posted:

Hey guys -

it's more fun and way more interesting than dice poker, it is completely ignorable so please ignore it

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't stand card games, I can't stand Gwent, I played the first round the game forces you to play and thought "gently caress this" and it's still my game of the year, easily.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Gwent rules, and making people wait during quests while you play cards adds a whole layer of characterization to Geralt.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DirtyTalk posted:

Hey guys -

The game thankfully does not force you to play Gwent a single time, ever (well, outside of any introductory stuff that is). It may result in the deaths of random side quest scrubs if you decline which is a point in favor of deciding not to play, I think.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Witcher 3 sucks, it's basically just Hearthstone but you walk around on occasion. You should play Dragon Age Inquisition instead, no game-breaking card games there.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DirtyTalk posted:

Hey guys -

you never have to touch it again, and do not even have to beat that guy. i hate gwent and think its dumb as hell and witcher 3 is one of the best games ive ever played

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Witcher 3 sucks, it's basically just Hearthstone but you walk around on occasion. You should play Dragon Age Inquisition instead, no game-breaking card games there.

The main quest in DA is earning gently caress Points so you can enter the Bone Zone. Saving the world is the side mission.

You can also find the body of the first Gwent guy later on and loot his card from his rotting corpse.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DirtyTalk posted:

:negative:

Care to describe what you mean by "horrible, horrible directions, then proceeded to kick my rear end" because yes you are being stupid if you turned the game off before you got halfway through the starter area after the tutorial dream at Kaer Morhen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Big Bidness posted:

Gwent rules, and making people wait during quests while you play cards adds a whole layer of characterization to Geralt.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing.

*comes back after doing a quest to find the guy's son/wife/dog that he's deseprately looking for*

"What do you want Geralt?"

"I'd play some Gwent."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Counter-point: Gwent owns and you're all just a bunch of babies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

Gwent owns and you're all just a bunch of babies.
This. I started a new game - the first thing I did was ride Roach all around creation buying Gwent cards, including sailing to Skellige at level 5 to buy Thaler.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Of course Gwent is cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

The game thankfully does not force you to play Gwent a single time, ever (well, outside of any introductory stuff that is). It may result in the deaths of random side quest scrubs if you decline which is a point in favor of deciding not to play, I think.
One thing you do miss is the Novigrad Gwent Tournament quest. I mean you can just concede the very first game in the tournament and enjoy the quest itself but in order to even get into the tournament you need to have good cards which means playing Gwent earlier. Unless there's another way to get in that I'm not aware of.

Of course it's just a side quest in a game that is already filled with content so it's not like you lose much.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This. I started a new game - the first thing I did was ride Roach all around creation buying Gwent cards, including sailing to Skellige at level 5 to buy Thaler.

Did this too. I pinched pennies to buy passage on a ship, hid in the corner during the pirate raid and rode madcap across the islands occasionally leaving my horse behind to bait away the crazy overpowered monsters all so I could put the hurt on a 7 year old peasant boy at ye olde pokemone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ice Fist posted:

Counter-point: Gwent owns and you're all just a bunch of babies.

People are babies because they don't want to play a part of a game that the game itself already considers completely optional and is fine to let you do?