Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Network Pesci posted:

Hey, maybe to you that's a dumb question, but it was the solution to my problem. Thanks! He said he was connecting to my IP, it didn't even occur to me he was looking at the external IP but that's exactly what was going on. Working fine now.

Haha don't worry, I'm pretty sure everyone has done that at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sjonnar posted:

So I've been experimenting with an idea for a base sunk into a lake, and during the construction of said base, i have discovered the most annoying creature in all of Terraria: the duck.

I do believe that the next world i make, i'm going to create a gigantic liquid duplicator and flood the entire world with lava so as to kill all the ducks.

Is it just because they never stop quacking?

I wanted too make my base over a huge lake originally but didn't want to bother setting up a pump system or go into hardmode for the bottomless bucket.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

so whats the trick to events like halloween and frost moon other than "cheese it with vamp knives and spectre armor"

is it even feasible to do with plantera gear and an arena that lets you move around?

Nothing that plantera drops would really perform all that well at pumpkin moon. If you're good at aerial dodging, you can harvest a few pumpking / mourning wood kills with a megashark, but you won't make it to the final phases, which means they won't be guaranteed to drop anything. Still, if you're lucky, you'll get a bat scepter, and that plus spectre armor will get you to the final phases so you can farm all the drops.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is it just because they never stop quacking?

Yeah. *honk* *honk* *quack* *honk* *quack* *quack* *honk* *honk* *quack* *honk* :argh:

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanted too make my base over a huge lake originally but didn't want to bother setting up a pump system or go into hardmode for the bottomless bucket.

A simple stairstep water duplicator with an opening that the excess water can flow out of will fill even a decent-sized lake while you build your base.

Gimme a sec, i'll rebuild one as an example and post a screenshot.

E: Here's the basic design for the duplicator. Excess water overflows from that hole above the inlet pumps at the bottom.

And here's the full base (still a work in progress) showing the size of the lake that it filled.

It was full long before i got this far - i basically just built the outline of the base and started filling the lake around it, and i've been filling in the space since.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 30, 2015

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Twins I was able to take down with wings, a good bow and hallow arrows. Fly up above the twins while shooting down so the falling stars hit them. When your wings run out juke around the twins and shoot up while they come down at you. Works best with the stormbow but I never needed a potion so I imagine other bows could work.

the hallow arrows are absolutely insane with a fast fire rate and large enemies

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Verviticus posted:

so whats the trick to events like halloween and frost moon other than "cheese it with vamp knives and spectre armor"

is it even feasible to do with plantera gear and an arena that lets you move around?

Cheese them with moon lord gear :p I couldn't solo either to more than wave 11 before grabbing some items. Then I did halloween after moon lord and got 70+ pumpking trophies.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Frost and Pumpkin Moons are balanced to be done with Spectre/Shroomite/Beetle tier gear on Normal difficulty, but you'll need an arena with traps and whatnot. On expert you want Fishron+ gear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LightningSquid posted:

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for this (and the rest of the advice you gave in the post). I made my own, and with a teleporter to the nurse it's perfect for farming Expert Moon Lord. Especially after you get the Star Wrath!

This works in expert? He hits like a truck filled with trucks made out of other trucks, or does going full beetle armor + warding accessories make it bearable?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Evil Fluffy posted:

This works in expert? He hits like a truck filled with trucks made out of other trucks, or does going full beetle armor + warding accessories make it bearable?
Nothing's stopping you from just going to the nurse normally while fighting, I moved the nurse to the top floor of my base which had one room where the roof was made of wooden platforms and one room where it was solid. The nurse hung out in the solid area and moon lord and I fought it out on the roof. When I get low, press down to go through the platform, get healed to full, jump up again. No teleporting needed. Literally nothing bad happens.

I'd done it without the nurse before this so I didn't mind doing it to get the right drops, but if you're really having problems, just fight near the nurse.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Sjonnar posted:

And here's the full base (still a work in progress) showing the size of the lake that it filled.

This base is nuts! Did you just dynamite out the area surrounding it to make the lake, or did you manage to find a natural valley to fit it in? Also, what material are you using for the blocks/backwalls? It looks really nice, and I'm tempted to steal the idea.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LightningSquid posted:

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for this (and the rest of the advice you gave in the post). I made my own, and with a teleporter to the nurse it's perfect for farming Expert Moon Lord. Especially after you get the Star Wrath!

Hey cool, glad I could help. Thanks for trying it out in expert mode, I've been meaning to give it a shot but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Honestly the fact that visiting the nurse is required on expert is slightly disappointing to me, I don't have a base built on my expert hardmode world because :effort: so that's gonna be a pain in the rear end.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even on normal mode if you're only in beetle armor and have the listed accessories all warding the moon lord can kick your rear end if you don't have potion buffs (I haven't tried it in the defensive version of the beetle armor yet, though I don't imagine it'd help enough, you may just need those buffs). I guess it might work in beetle armor on expert if you have a teleporter to the nurse. Unless you don't want to bring in gear from non expert worlds I recommend you kill him on a normal world a couple times and get Solar Flare armor, because taking 30% less damage on a hit occasionally helps a lot.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Syndlig posted:

This base is nuts! Did you just dynamite out the area surrounding it to make the lake, or did you manage to find a natural valley to fit it in? Also, what material are you using for the blocks/backwalls? It looks really nice, and I'm tempted to steal the idea.

I believe that's stone slabs, which are made with stone at the heavy work bench. Also I agree that base is badass and makes me want to nuke half a world to make a big rear end lake.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Also I agree that base is badass and makes me want to nuke half a world to make a big rear end lake.

I want a nuke item now. Craftable with a full stack of dynamite + some raw luminite, breaks blocks in a massive area.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Do you just wire the pumps in that water replicator tower together and slap on a 1sec timer?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Sjonnar posted:

Yeah. *honk* *honk* *quack* *honk* *quack* *quack* *honk* *honk* *quack* *honk* :argh:

You forgot the imitation quack, which redeems them in so many ways. :allears:

:geno: "Quaaaack."

The Lone Badger posted:

I want a nuke item now. Craftable with a full stack of dynamite + some raw luminite, breaks blocks in a massive area.

I'd love a giant lake biome. Maybe the binary opposite to a desert or the snowy lands.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 30, 2015

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I always told myself that when the next big update came I'd make a proper giant skybase, so now I'm making a start with an obligatory Way Too Big Tree

Still need to round out my critter and painting collection, but I'm mostly happy with it. I particularly like how the painter's little art project turned out.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Well.

poo poo.

I updated to Windows 10, and now this is more or less unplayable. Thanks to everything suddenly stopping reading my mouse inputs after I hit any key.

On the upside, my desktop isn't upgraded yet, so I guess I can play there.

Edit: Ah, there we go. gently caress you Windows 10, tell me when you implement stupid "features" like a delay on mouse activity after using the keyboard.

Or better yet, just be sufficiently not-stupid enough to turn it off while playing a game.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 30, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, since they're adding a few bits and pieces here and there I'd love for an accessory that lets you place blocks in midair without needing a backwall up .

That and, like, a standing closet that'd let you swap styles and clothes colors whenever you want since we can already mess with hair.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RareAcumen posted:

Man, since they're adding a few bits and pieces here and there I'd love for an accessory that lets you place blocks in midair without needing a backwall up .

That and, like, a standing closet that'd let you swap styles and clothes colors whenever you want since we can already mess with hair.

You mean like the dresser.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supremezero posted:

You mean like the dresser.

Dresser only lets you fool around with the colors and not change styles too, as far as I know.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Are sky bases still awful due to wyverns or do they not spawn as much now

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Are sky bases still awful due to wyverns or do they not spawn as much now

With a couple sunflowers and at least one resident, I never get Wyverns in the base anymore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anal Surgery posted:

With a couple sunflowers and at least one resident, I never get Wyverns in the base anymore.

They straight up can't spawn so long as you're in front of player placed walls.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Gonna use the quack sound as my phone's text message sound.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Syndlig posted:

Both, kind of. I found a natural valley, brought my previous character (the one in the pictures) over with his drill mount to make it bigger, and used the dirt and poo poo to reinforce the left side of the valley/lake. And most of the blocks and backwalls are indeed stone slabs.

Thyrork posted:

You forgot the imitation quack, which redeems them in so many ways. :allears:

It really doesn't. If anything, it makes them into insufferable hipster doucheducks.

Archenteron posted:

Do you just wire the pumps in that water replicator tower together and slap on a 1sec timer?

Yep

Cicadalek posted:

I always told myself that when the next big update came I'd make a proper giant skybase, so now I'm making a start with an obligatory Way Too Big Tree

What is that glowy soil around the tree's roots? Is that mushroom grass, and if so, did you have to place it by hand as you added each layer of mud?

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 30, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Well.

poo poo.

I updated to Windows 10, and now this is more or less unplayable. Thanks to everything suddenly stopping reading my mouse inputs after I hit any key.

On the upside, my desktop isn't upgraded yet, so I guess I can play there.

Edit: Ah, there we go. gently caress you Windows 10, tell me when you implement stupid "features" like a delay on mouse activity after using the keyboard.

Or better yet, just be sufficiently not-stupid enough to turn it off while playing a game.

Welp, guess i'm not upgrading again. Windows 7 forever. Which reminds me: was there ever a windows 9 or did they skip directly from 8 to 10 because :downs:?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Sjonnar posted:

What is that glowy soil around the tree's roots? Is that mushroom grass, and if so, did you have to place it by hand as you added each layer of mud?

Yes, and it is an enormous pain in the rear end to gather and also to paint. I wish painting it made the light green too.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Sjonnar posted:

Welp, guess i'm not upgrading again. Windows 7 forever. Which reminds me: was there ever a windows 9 or did they skip directly from 8 to 10 because :downs:?
The rumour was a lot of old program's code uses 'if windows version starts with 9' clauses to check for windows 95/98 compatability, so using 9 would cause a bunch of problems in old software. No idea how true, but seems plausible.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Thanks to whoever suggested to start fishing ASAP. Started a fresh world did some spelunking the first day and found a Snowball Launcher, built a house for my Guide and a Merchant, got the bug catching net, and spent the next night gathering fireflies and wrecking zombies with snowballs. The next day I traveled out the an ocean with an Iron Rod and Fireflies as bait and got a Reaver Shark, Sawtooth Shark, a couple Wooden and Iron Crates and one Gold Crate in about 30 minutes. Also the basic fish are great to just collect and sell off and I have had no money issues.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sjonnar posted:

they named the uh... 13th ?? windows Windows 10

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Building time~

This is the first base I ever made, back somewhere near when goblin invasions were first added. I was so proud.

Compare and contrast to my current base, though I haven't finished the Big rear end Tree yet, and I still need to fill the pond near the bottom.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

I had some neat water and cave features near my spawn, so I tried to build into it more than my previous efforts.

Nothing super-fancy, but I think I made some fun choices. I built my mushroom farm too close to my witch doctor's house though, so it's showing up as mushroom biome instead of jungle. I particularly dig the mechanic's house and my alchemy lab (inspired by a post earlier in this thread!).

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Amperor posted:

I had some neat water and cave features near my spawn, so I tried to build into it more than my previous efforts.

Nothing super-fancy, but I think I made some fun choices. I built my mushroom farm too close to my witch doctor's house though, so it's showing up as mushroom biome instead of jungle. I particularly dig the mechanic's house and my alchemy lab (inspired by a post earlier in this thread!).

I love the skeleton in the attic of the mechanic's house. Subtle.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So are there any inventory editors for the current version that I could download? I'm going to be away from Internet connections for the next couple weeks, and would like to have some way of adding building materials to my character.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you should be able to download the terrasavr flash file and run it offline

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

So are there any inventory editors for the current version that I could download? I'm going to be away from Internet connections for the next couple weeks, and would like to have some way of adding building materials to my character.

What does the internet have to do with that?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

What does the internet have to do with that?

Currently the only inv editor that I know of that works with the current versions is Terrasavr, which is a web based one, which I wouldn't be able to use without internet, unless-

Excelzior posted:

you should be able to download the terrasavr flash file and run it offline

-the way to do this is explained to me, as I am not technologically literate enough to figure out how to do this.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Amperor posted:

I count two ducks in this picture, which is two too many. Needs more lava.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Does the presence of lava alone trigger any kind of biome, like if I was to make that lake a few posts back out of lava instead of water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nope.