Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Spaceman Future! posted:

I got my bard body first.. and gonna get head next, then weapon

:dealwithit:

that is if I don't detour and pick up some drg pieces too. Relics are likely only a few weeks to a month off, gently caress your couch Ill wear what I want.

Everyone knows bard buys pants first. :v:

Also relics are a good two or three months off, 3.1 isn't until October at the earliest.

Klades fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

A shameful bard.

I thought the hats were the entire point of playing bard.

Klades posted:

Everyone knows bard buys pants first. :v:

These are both valid.

Everyone knows bard gives no poo poo about weapons. They use bows, then bows with harps built into them, have an entire mythos built around bows, but what do they use for limit breaks? A crossbow. The gently caress? Conclusion: bard gives no poo poo what they shoot, so dress dapper.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

We're kicking all the filthy non-weapon-buyers from the FCs. Chairman already agreed don't ask him about it.

ok not really

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

SperginMcBadposter posted:

We're kicking all the filthy non-weapon-buyers from the FCs. Chairman already agreed don't ask him about it.
ok not really

pal,

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The real crime here isn't that you bought the chest piece

It's that that chest piece doesn't even look good :colbert:

Also your staff has boobs what were you thinking

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Captain Oblivious posted:

The real crime here isn't that you bought the chest piece

It's that that chest piece doesn't even look good :colbert:

Also your staff has boobs what were you thinking

the chest piece looks great, I like wearing a giant satin labcoat

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
guys the loving machinist weapon is a double barrel shotgun

and it has reload animations, it actually splits to put ammo in it

why would you buy anything else

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

because i already invested all my alex drops into my war and it'd be loving weird to have a really good weapon on my mch with poo poo armor but good armor on my war with a poo poo weapon

but i REALLY, REALLY WANT IT

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Aside from Esoterics chat, Tenzarin posted earlier about doing a just 3 F4 rotation for blm. I've been messing around a bit with it, and while my dps doesn't seem higher, it also isn't lower. I'm not very good and I've just had a handful of Alex runs and its not like I have reams of logs using the old rotation to compare against, but it seems that at least Thunder keeps your damage up. So maybe it is better? :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The 50% boost to red scrip rewards is great. It means that in the worst case scenario where Impulsive never procs, it will only take me 19 nodes to cap. On average it will be more like 14.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

GreatRedSpirit posted:

upgrade them with centurio seals
Does anyone still farm centurio seals or bother upgrading gear? I went straight into Alexander with 170lvl with no problem as a tank.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Eimi posted:

Aside from Esoterics chat, Tenzarin posted earlier about doing a just 3 F4 rotation for blm. I've been messing around a bit with it, and while my dps doesn't seem higher, it also isn't lower. I'm not very good and I've just had a handful of Alex runs and its not like I have reams of logs using the old rotation to compare against, but it seems that at least Thunder keeps your damage up. So maybe it is better? :shrug:

Been using it for a few days now, and going back to fire 4x2>fire 1>fire 4x2-3 when I have too. When I can just sit there and poo poo out 3 fire4 and refresh seems to do steadier damage. Will parse in savage 1 tomorrow and in rav ex tonight if I do some.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you have flying in all zones and a spare 15mins there's no reason not to do the level 3 marks. 75 seals a day then an extra 100 a week will get you a lot of upgrades very fast. Maybe not for your main who's probably in significant Alex gear by now but you can gear alts into 180 megafast.

Or do what I did and buy the pets, housing items and Ishgardian Barding for ~~aesthetic~~.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?

vanbags posted:

Does anyone still farm centurio seals or bother upgrading gear? I went straight into Alexander with 170lvl with no problem as a tank.

Yeah, people do all the time. Install Guildwork and then spam invite when they spawn. Going to alex (Savage) with all ilvl 170 is a good way to get punched in the dick. Going to alex (normal) in ilvl 170 is fine as everyone else will carry your lazy rear end across the finish line.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pierson posted:

If you have flying in all zones and a spare 15mins there's no reason not to do the level 3 marks. 75 seals a day then an extra 100 a week will get you a lot of upgrades very fast. Maybe not for your main who's probably in significant Alex gear by now but you can gear alts into 180 megafast.

Or do what I did and buy the pets, housing items and Ishgardian Barding for ~~aesthetic~~.

It's also a great way to level your chocobro and off classes.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

With the possible exception of Scholar post-54.

I'm not actually that bitter, playing "pre-Heavensward Scholar plus Broil and an oh poo poo AOE aetherheal button" is still great fun because pre-Heavensward Scholar was great.

I've used the shield -> heal conversion tactics once or twice, to be fair, it's an adequate niche group heal.

I'd agree with the other folks chiming in that emergency tactics and deployment tactics have their uses. Trying to land a galvanize spread with deployment can be a bit irritating due to lag, but even just spreading eye to both tanks in an 8-man is wonderful and really makes a difference. I wish the cooldown was a bit shorter though. Emergency tactics are perfect for a follow-up second succor when indom is on cooldown, since it turns a shield that would likely be wasted into a fair amount of additional healing. I don't really see the point in using it with Adlo though, cause typically in any serious fight, by the time you could belt out a second adlo, the galvanize from your first is already gone anyways, so converting the shield to healing just means a higher chance of overhealing (maybe if paired with swiftcast on the second adlo, but really, Lustrate is generally enough).

I hate Dissipation though, genuinely think it's pretty garbage.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's also a great way to level your chocobro and off classes.

Each stack of Centurio marks is worth about 1/2 of the leveling roulette bonus, so it isn't a completely terrible source of alt class xp while waiting on queues.

You'll be swimming in more law gear upgrades than you can ever use though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aug posted:

Going to alex (normal) in ilvl 170 is fine as everyone else will carry your lazy rear end across the finish line.

Funny, when I first did alex most of the group just hit 170 moments before, and top guy was 174.

We finished fine.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

So doing Rav Ex tonight, I noticed I would rather do Fire 4 x 3 > Bliz 3 > Bliz 4 > repeat. The damage seemed higher than doing Fire 4 x 2 > Fire 1 > repeat till oom > refresh. It also allowed me to use Thunder 3 procs because I end up having more free time. Anyone double check this for me?

Oh hey I just noticed this. This is how I've always been doing BLM rotation, and I seem to be doing pretty well for only being i170. The only issue is you have to keep your timing pretty tight, at least with i170 spell speed, as you'll need every GCD queued from immediately when Astral Fire III is applied in order to get a fast Blizzard 3 off. Especially early on in an Enochian cycle, right after Blizzard 3 you have a GCD or two where you can hit Thundercloud procs or reapply Thunder.

I'd be interested to see what you find out parsing on hard content with good gear.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Is there ever a situation where you really want to turn Wanderer's Minuet off?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

kafziel posted:

Is there ever a situation where you really want to turn Wanderer's Minuet off?

if you need to move a lot for more than 1 or 2 gcds

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wanted to try this again since I played that 2 week trial a year ago. Bought heavensword but the page to transfer my account to regular service isn't accepting my digital registration code! Did square just rip me off? Also their support just closed for the night :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

effectual posted:

Wanted to try this again since I played that 2 week trial a year ago. Bought heavensword but the page to transfer my account to regular service isn't accepting my digital registration code! Did square just rip me off? Also their support just closed for the night :(

Stupid question: did you buy the base game (A Realm Reborn)?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

They finally added a flying bear mount!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Stupid question: did you buy the base game (A Realm Reborn)?

The expansion doesn't include it? wtf

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

effectual posted:

Not unless you buy the specific bundle, no. Did the store page not day "ARR is required to play"?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

effectual posted:

Most expansions don't include the base game outside of specific bundles, fwiw.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

Oh hey I just noticed this. This is how I've always been doing BLM rotation, and I seem to be doing pretty well for only being i170. The only issue is you have to keep your timing pretty tight, at least with i170 spell speed, as you'll need every GCD queued from immediately when Astral Fire III is applied in order to get a fast Blizzard 3 off. Especially early on in an Enochian cycle, right after Blizzard 3 you have a GCD or two where you can hit Thundercloud procs or reapply Thunder.

I'd be interested to see what you find out parsing on hard content with good gear.

I thought fire 4 was 3s cast time so you could move alittle bit and still get the fast cast bliz 3 in before it dropping.

On Rav ex at least I noticed higher numbers, and they stayed up. Its steadier to always do 3 fire 4's instead of 5-2 fire 4s at random and to keep thunder rolling. This is with ilvl 187, rav weapon etc.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I thought fire 4 was 3s cast time so you could move alittle bit and still get the fast cast bliz 3 in before it dropping.

Probably, it seems really close to me but it is not my main class and I am not super well practiced with it. I mean I've cleared RavEx with it but I'm like OHGODOHGODOHGOD a lot. I really hate the butterflies phase.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

Probably, it seems really close to me but it is not my main class and I am not super well practiced with it. I mean I've cleared RavEx with it but I'm like OHGODOHGODOHGOD a lot. I really hate the butterflies phase.

I try to switch but my group kills them so fast, its hard to get casts off. I almost always refresh on Ravana and the loving summoner kills the first group instantly with the big explosion move. Rav gives casters so much room too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Touchfuzzy posted:

I am also here to make a big deal about stupid poo poo.

Same.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

What are you supposed to do when you queue an EXDR with a low-gear tank and you're decked out in Alex gear and an Esoterics weapon? At that point it feels like you actively have to sabotage your own rotation, since within 3-4 gcds on a mob you're already stealing it.

Edit: See, too high DPS wouldn't be an issue if I had picked up the Eso chest instead. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Should not be a problem unless they're a Paladin.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Buy weapons, cosplay

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 5, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

fount of knowledge posted:

What are you supposed to do when you queue an EXDR with a low-gear tank and you're decked out in Alex gear and an Esoterics weapon? At that point it feels like you actively have to sabotage your own rotation, since within 3-4 gcds on a mob you're already stealing it.

Edit: See, too high DPS wouldn't be an issue if I had picked up the Eso chest instead. :v:

Just pull the threat. Wait a bit at the start of fights if you want to be polite.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Failboattootoot posted:

Just pull the threat. Wait a bit at the start of fights if you want to be polite.
Yeah, as long as you're not tanking a boss I don't see the problem. That's what Bloodbath is for.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So I spent another 20 bucks so I could actually start playing, what's the best class for a newb? Should I fart around leveling multiple classes at the same time or focus on 1 at a time?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

When I played on alts with lovely gear vs people synced down, generally I'd just prefer that one of the DPS, particularly melee, tank whatever thing they go bananas on and just roll with it that way. Keeping threat off people with way better gear isn't always impossible, but it's a bit difficult, especially if you're not a tank main who is playing an alt, but rather doing this the first time yourself.

More importantly, if they're new to tanking, they might be anxious because everyone thinks they are an rear end in a top hat bad for not being able to hold threat, or might be going through great lengths to keep aggro but bumbling and flustered and letting other stuff go wrong, which is a thing I've certainly seen on occasion. Spreading out threat to make their job easier might be nice, though it might be best to just say something to the effect of "don't worry, you are doing fine but the gear difference is making this hard, hit the other monsters and build threat on those. I won't die tanking one of these things."

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Doing a little parsing, my Dark Knight generates about 6.7x as much threat as I do DPS doing just the Power Slash combo, with Grit and no off-gcds. DPS was only mid-400s, but even so. Unless you are doing >2000 DPS, a competent tank should be able to hold threat on you even at the i145 those dungeons want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dreffen posted:

Hey everyone tell me your thoughts on Vit accessories.
They're pretty good if you saute them with plenty of garlic and serve with red wine.

• Locked thread