Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mega Comrade posted:

Xenoblades Chronicles just got released on the WiiU eshop and it's significantly cheaper than it is on the 3ds eshop.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the 3DS port with 3D and all that other poo poo. Xenoblade is just Xenoblade. It's like one offering SMB3 and the other offering SMB3 from All-Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It is funny though because the wii version is better and the eshop version lets you play on the gamepad so it's like a much better deal

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Doctor Goat posted:

not mentioned here:

The framerate is super goddamn bad nonstop and that's patched. I'm not sure what the prepatched version was like, but I assume it actually ran the game backwards.

It has been awhile since I played it. Also, I'm pretty sure you can hear the wet fart that is the system rendering those crappy 3D model sprites.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
XL is way better than I thought it'd be, and I used to be a die hard little 3ds hell yeah guy. Give it a try, I don't have any problem fitting it in my big rear end pants pockers even with my bug rear end in there as well. And the larger screen is super nice.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

my big rear end pants pockers even with my bug rear end in there as well.

Text me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mega Comrade posted:

Xenoblades Chronicles just got released on the WiiU eshop and it's significantly cheaper than it is on the 3ds eshop.
man i gotta catch up with the wii u thread

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Xenoblade Wii is only available for download in PAL-land. Americans are "rubbish".

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what the gently caress

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i will fight you reggie you son of a bitch

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Triforce Heroes is also confirmed for October 23 in NA.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

i will fight you reggie you son of a bitch

Reggie would wreck you. Unless you're Hungrybox.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am very powerful and have the spirit of everyone in NA behind me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, Argos has Puzzle & Dragons for 11.99GBP: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4027948.htm

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Triforce Heroes is also confirmed for October 23 in NA.

Is it gonna be a real game or like some kinda shovelware type thing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not shovelware and it's like that Four Swords game I think

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

African AIDS cum posted:

Is it gonna be a real game or like some kinda shovelware type thing

It's a multiplayer co-op game built on the Link Between Worlds engine.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think AAC is more subtle than Taint Reaper tbh

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

It's a multiplayer co-op game built on the Link Between Worlds engine.

That sounds good actually, can you play with people online or do single player? I don't know anyone with a 3ds

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

That sounds good actually, can you play with people online or do single player? I don't know anyone with a 3ds

It has both online play and single player (though I'm still not clear on exactly how the single player works).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

African AIDS cum posted:

Three-player online or local play with one cart, or single-player with character switching.

The big stupid Nintendo WTF caveat is that you can't play with only two people, you absolutely need to have a three-person party. You can play with two people locally and go online to find a third dude but if you're playing online and someone drops out it autosaves and quits.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Three-player online or local play with one cart, or single-player with character switching.

The big stupid Nintendo WTF caveat is that you can't play with only two people, you absolutely need to have a three-person party. You can play with two people locally and go online to find a third dude but if you're playing online and someone drops out it autosaves and quits.
wtf nintendo i don't have that many friends

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That seems harsh. I think I can pull off 3 local play though. So I assume the game will be fully playable and you just need to download play to 2 other 3dses.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My brother just got a 3DS and is trying to pick out a few games/figure out which forthcoming games he should pre-order or be excited for. He really likes RPGs with a heavy emphasis on grinding. Like when he plays World of Warcraft he ignores quests and just literally goes out and kills monsters for hours and enjoys it. That's the kind of experience he wants. He doesn't care much about story, he just wants games that will reward him for engaging in endless hours of mindless combat. I realize Monster Hunter should be a go-to for this style of play, but he's only ever planning to play solo and I think the Monster Hunter combat would drive him up the wall since it requires things like coordination and timing. He's more about turn-based stuff.

Right now he has Fantasy Life, which he's enjoying alot, and he's planning to pick up both of the Etrian Odyssey Untold titles (he tried EO 4 but got lost too easily so I told him the Untold games were much more linear since there's only one dungeon in each). He also has Little Battlers Experience pre-ordered.

He's wondering now whether he should also pre-order Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (he likes life sim games like Harvest Moon etc. but recently he's said that he doesn't want to play games that don't end/you can't 'beat' anymore), and he's trying to make a list of games that are on the horizon that he might like, maybe Legend of Legacy or stuff like that.

So, grindy but fun games. Let's hear 'em.

(Also after now buying and selling 2 different 3DSes I am once again tempted to pick one up once PoPoLoCrois and Disney Magical Kingdom 2 come out)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

While it's not recommended if you want to keep the difficulty intact, Fire Emblem: Awakening has plenty of opportunities for different kinds of grinding that reward you greatly in terms of powering up your characters.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bravely Default was made for your brother

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If he likes both grindy games and Harvest Moon then absolutely get him Rune Factory 4.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
He's actually been through Bravely Default and is eagerly awaiting Bravely Second. And he's playing FE:Awakening right now, along with Fantasy Life.

As for Rune Factory 4, he's said he's interested in it many times but he's afraid it will turn into the game that doesn't end, like Harvest Moon. Does RF4 have a clear-cut ending that can be reached within say 40 hours of play?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Getsuya posted:

He's actually been through Bravely Default and is eagerly awaiting Bravely Second. And he's playing FE:Awakening right now, along with Fantasy Life.

As for Rune Factory 4, he's said he's interested in it many times but he's afraid it will turn into the game that doesn't end, like Harvest Moon. Does RF4 have a clear-cut ending that can be reached within say 40 hours of play?

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=13775

It's pretty long. But yeah, it's grindy and farmy! Perfect!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There is a story that concludes but you can keep playing afterwards. I don't know if it can be done in 40 hours unless you already know what you're doing though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It may will almost certainly take more than 40 hours, the plot has three major 'arcs' and the third one needs some hidden conditions to unlock and even then is subject to the whims of the RNG. And then you find out you're still underlevelled and get your rear end kicked.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Getsuya posted:

My brother just got a 3DS and is trying to pick out a few games/figure out which forthcoming games he should pre-order or be excited for. He really likes RPGs with a heavy emphasis on grinding.

Go back to the DS and grab a copy of Disgaea DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aksys is localizing Yokai Watch "inspired" RPG Moco Moco Friends. November 17th USA, Europe not a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeusTZyHfj4

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

My brother just got a 3DS and is trying to pick out a few games/figure out which forthcoming games he should pre-order or be excited for. He really likes RPGs with a heavy emphasis on grinding.

If you're willing to track down a copy he might enjoy The World Ends With You, which was for the DS

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want to collect all the cute monsters and fight other cute monsters. Bring it on.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Chic Trombone posted:

If you're willing to track down a copy he might enjoy The World Ends With You, which was for the DS

The controls were too much for him.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Go back to the DS and grab a copy of Disgaea DS.

Oh man I forgot this existed! I think he played the original on PS2 and really liked it, so he might be interested in playing it again on DS. He loves tactics games.

Speaking of, how hard are the Shin Megami Tensei tactics games for the 3DS? I had heard they were pretty hard so I warned him away from them, but if it's something where he can just grind forever until he's strong enough to steamroll everything he might like them. That was how he played through FFT and the original Disgaea.

Otherwise the next tactics game on our radar is Stella Glow.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

So NA is going to potentially get a lovely clone of Yokai Watch before the actual Yokai Watch drops? Neat!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Getsuya posted:

Oh man I forgot this existed! I think he played the original on PS2 and really liked it, so he might be interested in playing it again on DS. He loves tactics games.

Speaking of, how hard are the Shin Megami Tensei tactics games for the 3DS? I had heard they were pretty hard so I warned him away from them, but if it's something where he can just grind forever until he's strong enough to steamroll everything he might like them. That was how he played through FFT and the original Disgaea.

Otherwise the next tactics game on our radar is Stella Glow.

There was a tactics game called Mercenaries 2 just released on the eshop that looks really FFT esque, I haven't played it myself but it looks interesting.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Getsuya posted:

He is weak

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Getsuya posted:

He's wondering now whether he should also pre-order Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (he likes life sim games like Harvest Moon etc. but recently he's said that he doesn't want to play games that don't end/you can't 'beat' anymore)

Animal Crossing games, by their very nature, are not games that can be beaten, as there are no objectives that you really have to accomplish. Happy Home Designer is going to be fun, but I doubt it'll be something he likes based on what you've said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So after paying off all my student debt and bills and stuff i have a fair amount left over and I am wondering if I should go ahead and grab the 3DSXL or just save a little bit and grab a 2DS bundle. I know goons give the 2DS a bad rap but I don't particularly care about the 3D aspect or portability really.

I apologize if this all sounds stupid, I haven't had a handheld since the GBASP

E: gently caress it I'll get a 3DSXL.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2015