Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

Back to double features: I've been lucky to see a double feature for Troll 2 / Best Worst Movie, which is always a treat.

The best double feature I've seen was Synecdoche, New York with The Master a few weeks after Philip Seymour Hoffman died. The proceeds went to one of his favorite charities. I had never seen either movie. It was a rough night.

I can't even imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I remember rolling into a drive-in with my family at age 7 with my mom and we saw a double bill of Die Hard and Big. They showed Big second, even as a kid I thought that was a poor choice.

Also: I fully support the idea of a double bill of Halloween III followed by Halloween III. But I love Halloween III.

The last two times I went to the Drive-in, they showed Titanic/Austin Powers 2 and XXX/Master of Disguise. :barf:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I saw The Master in theaters three times (twice in 70mm) and it wasn't enough

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't even imagine.

I actually felt very anxious and shell shocked after Synecdoche, NY. I walked out of the theater and had a mild panic attack, smoked a cig and grabbed a beer before going into The Master. I'm glad they showed that one second.

I loved both, and I'd put Synecdoche, New York on my top 10 list.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Gremlins 2 double feature I'd do is Fight Club.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

I actually felt very anxious and shell shocked after Synecdoche, NY. I walked out of the theater and had a mild panic attack, smoked a cig and grabbed a beer before going into The Master. I'm glad they showed that one second.

I loved both, and I'd put Synecdoche, New York on my top 10 list.

Him singing at the end would probably do me in.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Him singing at the end would probably do me in.

"I know what to do with this play now. I have an idea. I think..." :(

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think a movie has ever punched me in the head, the heart, and the gut all at the same time the way Synecdoche, New York did. It's an absolute masterpiece. Charlie Kaufman's best work by a wide margin, and I say that with a healthy respect and admiration for Adaptation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The road-map to a really killer double feature is to pick movies that are not only in some sense superficially or thematically similar, but from the same year:

Shivers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Fear City and Body Double

Giorgio Moroder's restoration of Metropolis and The Terminator

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Shivers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This is very good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

This is very good.

"I know, that's why I wrote it," he typed with mock condescension.

Bonus points on that one is if you watch a bunch of trailers for skin flicks from the same year you realize that most of them are just as Cronenberg satirizes: horrifyingly preoccupied with rape as a form of sexual liberation.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

precision posted:

Dude I literally just said that two posts above you.

Great minds think alike :keke:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Double features?

Detention and Heathers
Aliens and Terminator 2
Dawn of the Dead (2004) and 28 Days Later
Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing
Adventures in Babysitting and Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Everyone mentioning Carpenter in their double features made me realize Starman and Under the Skin would be a great one.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Drive/The Guest :smug:

Fistful of Dollars/Unforgiven

Alien/s works better than any other sequel double-bill because it shares the subject matter and protagonist but has such a radically different tone and pace.
I saw this combo at a midnight showing at the Cameo cinema in Edinburgh about 20 years ago, one of my most memorable film experiences.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A good double I happened upon once was Cool Hand Luke/Easy Rider.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Surely you'd go with the 1985 Day of the Dead to pair with 28 Days Later over Dawn of the Dead.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mad Max/Wyrmwood

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bored As gently caress posted:

Detention and Heathers

This works but you should really watch Heathers first so by the time Detention starts the acid is kicking hard.

The first two films I ever saw in my life were Blue Lagoon and Ghost Story as a drive-in double bill. I mostly slept in the backseat but there was one part of Ghost Story that freaked me the gently caress out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

Everyone mentioning Carpenter in their double features made me realize Starman and Under the Skin would be a great one.

Starman and Lifeforce is better. But, you know, dif' strokes.

I've got another: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and Manhunter

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
For All Mankind is on Hulu Plus.

Just an amazing documentary about manned spaceflight, with an original soundtrack by Brian Eno.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Is Halloween III streaming on anything? It is one of the few always discussed horror movies that I have never seen.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Is Halloween III streaming on anything? It is one of the few always discussed horror movies that I have never seen.

You can rent it for $3 on Amazon, but otherwise I don't think so.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
El Topo / Eraserhead
Dazed and Confused / Ferris Bueller's Day Off
200 Motels / Head
Event Horizon / Galaxy of Terror
Rango / Chinatown

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
PYF / Cinema Discusso

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

PYF / Cinema Discusso

emptyquote / :agreed:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Murgos posted:

So, could someone take a stab at enumerating some iconic double bills? Direct sequels or movies in a shared universe are probably sort of trivial examples but what about two different movies that make watching both more than the sum of the individual experience?

Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove comes immediately to mind but what are some others?

That Obscure Object of Desire / Before Sunset. A thesis on how you can never really know the heart of another person, but sometimes it's worth the effort of trying nonetheless.

For an orthogonal approach to those themes, throw a Wong Kar Wei film in between those two. 2046 or In the Mood for Love or Happy Together or Chungking Express, any of those would be a fantastic pairing.

E: Certified Copy might work even better than Before Sunset. I guess it depends on if you want similar or contrasting approaches to a theme.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 13, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
3 episodes in, Difficult People on Hulu is legit funny.

Just found out it's from Amy Poehler, so it makes sense why I like it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah it is actually kinda fantastic so far. Goddamn episode 2 was good, Urbaniak killed it in those scenes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Two Days, One Night is up on Netflix, it's pretty terrific.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I got really stoned and watched Charlie Victor Romeo and United 93 back-to-back (both on Netflix!), and now I'm convinced I'm going to die in a plane crash.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's just rapid fire jokes. I also give it credit for making these characters likeable. They could have turned into obnoxious so easily.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

"I know, that's why I wrote it," he typed with mock condescension.

Bonus points on that one is if you watch a bunch of trailers for skin flicks from the same year you realize that most of them are just as Cronenberg satirizes: horrifyingly preoccupied with rape as a form of sexual liberation.

Hell, if you pick the right ones you might even recognize some of the same actors.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

morestuff posted:

The Western/Revisionist Western and Noir/Neo-Noir labels seem mostly pointless to me but if you're going to use them I don't know how you can claim that Unforgiven is a classic Western
Unforgiven isn't a classic western, it's the last (American) western. There's a difference. It's the culmination of everything that revisionist westerns had been aiming toward - to steal a quote from someone smarter than me, it's the one that finally, totally, turned the good guy into the bad guy, and that can never be undone.

Basebf555 posted:

Interesting that you bring up another Guy Pierce film because The Proposition is one that I'd consider a modern Western, it just happens to not take place in the American west.

For me the only "true" Westerns were made during the time of Ford and Wayne, that's when there was at least some romance left in the idea of the West. Ford and Wayne also made what could be considered the first revisionist Western, The Searchers, really the genre begins and ends with them.
Yeah The Proposition is a great example to me, because as you say, it's not American or pretending to be at all. I guess perhaps I ought to clarify by saying that "American Westerns are dead." Nobody wants a hero like The Duke, anymore. I wouldn't say that Ford and Wayne were the sunrise and sunset though, because there were still unironic westerns being successfully made and taken seriously, after they were gone. Unforgiven is a convenient line in the sand where you can look at the landscape and say "well, they ain't making them like they used to anymore, and never will be able to again." Or, to make a bad pun based on another western movie which came out near and after unforgiven, it's the Tombstone for the genre as a pure thing. There have been good westerns post-Unforgiven, but they are all dark, gritty, and self-aware as hell. No more Lonesome Dove, no more Man From Snowy River.

The Proposition certainly isn't your classic western a la Man From Snowy River though, either. It's a lot darker, dirtier, and more complex. It comments on itself.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm feeling the same way but I haven't yet figured out what extremely potent drug/alcohol cocktail will be most helpful in seeing me though the experience.
Go on a Casper Van Dien Starship Troopers marathon afterward. It's like cookies and milk.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I don't understand people watching two completely unrelated films as a double bill. This is a phenomenon I've witnessed in this thread/forum and nowhere else ever.

This isn't meant as a criticism necessarily.
It allows you to watch the second with the framework of the first still fresh in your mind, and you can recall the first while experiencing the second. A lot of parallels can be seen, especially when films have a similar camera style, group of actors, or directing style. An early John Carpenter Movie isn't going to be as stylish as The Warriors, but they're both movies set entirely at night, in comparable eras, and with comparable music and other things as well.

For instance I actually did go on a Casper Van Dien binge and watched every Starship Troopers with him in it, and a couple other movies, and it became almost surreal, how he can only play this one role, and even he admits and owns up to it in the roles he takes nowdays (such as they are), which makes me like and respect him more even though he's not much of an actor - but that jawline! Those eyes! :bigtran:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 13, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

Its fun to watch a Kurosawa film and then the Western that it inspired. Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars and Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven being the primary examples.
Yojimbo is a good one to pair with anything that shamelessly ripped off its story. And there are unending numbers of Yojimbo ripoffs to choose from as well! :laugh:

Hell, you could even pick an actor and do two Yojimbo ripoffs where he plays the same character!

Lucky Number Slevin / Bunraku. :iamafag:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 13, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

morestuff posted:

Lucy is Under The Skin in reverse, with more car chases

The one true double bill with Lucy is Altered States.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Hoopla, the streaming service that my library uses, has it, but I think that's about it. I don't know if that one's available to you through your library or if you can just buy a subscription to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Yojimbo is a good one to pair with anything that shamelessly ripped off its story. And there are unending numbers of Yojimbo ripoffs to choose from as well! :laugh:

Last Man Standing was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

coyo7e posted:

Unforgiven isn't a classic western, it's the last (American) western. There's a difference. It's the culmination of everything that revisionist westerns had been aiming toward - to steal a quote from someone smarter than me, it's the one that finally, totally, turned the good guy into the bad guy, and that can never be undone.
I always feel like Unforgiven is brilliant because it manages to be a love letter to the classic Western even though it's also completely deconstructing it. It's all the more shocking that it came from Clint Eastwood, who already directed other Westerns suggesting he was incapable of breaking from formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

kuddles posted:

I always feel like Unforgiven is brilliant because it manages to be a love letter to the classic Western even though it's also completely deconstructing it. It's all the more shocking that it came from Clint Eastwood, who already directed other Westerns suggesting he was incapable of breaking from formula.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he carried the script around for like ten years because he felt like he wasn't old enough to play the part yet.