Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jason X / Event Horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Hell, you could even pick an actor and do two Yojimbo ripoffs where he plays the same character!

Yojimbo/Sanjuro...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Jason X / Event Horizon

Jason X works better with another iconic horror villain in space. So either Leprechaun in Space or Hellraiser Bloodline.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Basebf555 posted:

Last Man Standing was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

Another fine Walter Hill movie.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
planet terror / death proof

:colbert:

back on topic, last man standing is quite fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Basebf555 posted:

Jason X works better with another iconic horror villain in space. So either Leprechaun in Space or Hellraiser Bloodline.

Hmmmm... Yeah good point. Both of those would be fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Duck Soup / Dr. Strangelove would be fun as well.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Murgos posted:

So, could someone take a stab at enumerating some iconic double bills? Direct sequels or movies in a shared universe are probably sort of trivial examples but what about two different movies that make watching both more than the sum of the individual experience?

Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove comes immediately to mind but what are some others?

Greenaway's "Zoo" and Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Speaking of double features, I made my own and posted it to YouTube at an unlisted link.

It's a whole program with two sets of trailers, an intermission, and two features: Shivers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v55ljHjawI

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Speaking of double features, I made my own and posted it to YouTube at an unlisted link.

It's a whole program with two sets of trailers, an intermission, and two features: Shivers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v55ljHjawI

I guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

Another good double feature is Rocky Horror Picture Show and Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

Another good double feature is Rocky Horror Picture Show and Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors.

You bastard's son...

edit: Also, Rocky Horror and The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Everyone just skip Rocky horror and go to Phantom of the paradise. It's better in every way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Everyone just skip Rocky horror and go to Phantom of the paradise. It's better in every way.

While I'm not about to tout Rocky Horror as the end-all be-all, it's very good at what it is: a retelling of Adam & Eve with the serpent being replaced by Doctor Frankenstein, the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil as sexuality and sexual awakening, an homage to classic B-movies while being a B-Movie, all set to 50's-early 60's Rock and Roll. Even with the 2nd-half losing momentum, it just works.

That said, I've never even heard of Phantom of the Paradise, and must rectify that immediately.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Never seen it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

That Works posted:

Never seen it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

While I'm not about to tout Rocky Horror as the end-all be-all, it's very good at what it is: a retelling of Adam & Eve with the serpent being replaced by Doctor Frankenstein, the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil as sexuality and sexual awakening, an homage to classic B-movies while being a B-Movie, all set to 50's-early 60's Rock and Roll. Even with the 2nd-half losing momentum, it just works.

That said, I've never even heard of Phantom of the Paradise, and must rectify that immediately.

I've also yet to see Phantom but their themes seem relatively - if somewhat superficially similar. As your outline points out, Rocky Horror takes the conventional, anti-queer subtext of a creature-feature and turns it into sarcastic tragedy, one that points up how genre gives us the opportunity to liberate our violent and carnal desires but then requires the constant condemnation of this liberation.

Paradise, on the other hand, seems to more accurately depict how even this oppositional relationship with genre is co-opted and exploited by an implicitly anti-queer system that entices the spectator with superficial fantasies of defiance. The movies should be considered direct sequels.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

That Works posted:

Never seen it

Oh man, get on that. I'm always coming back to that movie, never regretting it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The_Rob posted:

:agreed:

K. Waste posted:

I've also yet to see Phantom

You should probably see it before posting about its themes, duder.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Already removed for copyright infringement :\

edit: I saw the DVD of Shock Treatment for $5 at a gas station last week. Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress either. I probably should have bought it, in retrospect.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

precision posted:

Well, that's all she wrote, folks.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

edit: I saw the DVD of Shock Treatment for $5 at a gas station last week. Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress either. I probably should have bought it, in retrospect.

Definitely should have. It doesn't get the credit it deserves. I kinda... like it better than Rocky.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That Works posted:

Never seen it

Swan-n-n-n-n-n!!!

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

morestuff posted:

Two Days, One Night is up on Netflix, it's pretty terrific.
Seconding this. If you liked it also watch The Kid with a Bike, the Dardennes' previous film.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If we're talking mind-bending musicals, go for The Apple/Can't Stop the Music.

Both are streaming on Netfilx and both are fabulous.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Jason X / Event Horizon

Jason X / Ghosts of Mars

Works a lot better

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Can't Stop the Music.

The only PG movie that has topless women AND full frontal male nudity. In one song, no less!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

caligulamprey posted:

If we're talking mind-bending musicals, go for The Apple/Can't Stop the Music.

Both are streaming on Netfilx and both are fabulous.

The Apple is so good that the Rifftrax of it actually detracts from the experience.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How about a quadruple feature of Spring Breakers/ Umshini Wam/ Chappie/ Short Circuit 2? Then you can witness a neon crime-fetish film melt into a tale of two possibly-retarded gangsters who later go on to stage a heist with a rogue robot, and then we watch his cousin fall in with the same kind of crowd.

Or you could also not do that. Yeah that's probably a better choice.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I usually will do a triple bill of Spring Breakers with The Wolf of Wall Street and Pain and Gain and call it The American Dream Trilogy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wild Zero / Stacy

I call it "Troma makes anime now"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

caligulamprey posted:

I usually will do a triple bill of Spring Breakers with The Wolf of Wall Street and Pain and Gain and call it The American Dream Trilogy.

Switch the order of P&G and WoWS and it is perfect.

K9 Philosopher
Jun 21, 2005
Do what now?
A few double billings I can think of:

Watch Fitzcarraldo, wait a day or two to let it simmer in your head, and then watch Burden of Dreams/My Best Fiend. Two toxic egos clashing with each other to make a movie that drove them both to even more of the edge than usual, I find the making of that film fascinating.

Watership Down/Plague Dogs for stuff your parents accidentally rented for you that left scars.

Fantastic Mr. Fox/Antichrist: movies released in 2009 featuring Willem Dafoe and a talking fox.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

The Apple is so good that the Rifftrax of it actually detracts from the experience.

The Apple is quite good. You can make a musical as bad as you like if the songs are good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like that statement could apply to both Rocky Horror and Shock Treatment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My main problem with Shock Treatment is that the songs are lousy but what's her face was the ideal replacement for Susan Sarandon. Plus its nice to see Rik Mayall in a movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would do the Apple and Xanadu as a kind of disco A-Z(-sound) thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I loving love the song that plays at the end of each episode difficult people.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jack Gladney posted:

I would do the Apple and Xanadu as a kind of disco A-Z(-sound) thing.

Xanadu is pre' dope. Like many jukebox musicals, it only falls prey to the fact that listening to the score on its own conjures up an infinitely better movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Xanadu is loving trash. Can't Stop The Music is where its at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My main problem with Shock Treatment is that the songs are lousy but what's her face was the ideal replacement for Susan Sarandon. Plus its nice to see Rik Mayall in a movie.

She's in Phantom of Paradise too. Shame she wasn't in more movies honestly, but judging by what I've heard she's the kind of person who made a conscious decision to stop acting and did other things.