Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jeanne D'Arc is amazing mostly because of how they try to handle actual historical figures in the guise of a lighthearted anime plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
FFT is a good game in the same way I find something like Lightning Returns a good game: lots of ways to play the game and enjoy it. Probably the quality I hold highest in a video game these days.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

The XBox 360 only had Agarest and that crappy Vandal Hearts ripoff, don't listen to this guy

Operation Darkness baby

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

FFT is a great game and allows you to move forward at your own pace while still providing a satisfying level of difficulty with random battles.
Most of the trivialization of combat comes from everyone having beaten the game several times and already having a "bread and butter' lineup pre-planned from the start (or stuff like auto X pots). The last 3rd of the game does get ridiculous with how many unique characters they throw at you, but I've always seen them as a crutch to mostly be avoided anyways.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Jeanne D'Arc is amazing mostly because of how they try to handle actual historical figures in the guise of a lighthearted anime plot.

All I remember is it being pretty lighthearted then :flame:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ragnarok Online Tactics lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

All I remember is it being pretty lighthearted then :flame:

That's pretty much it. It's super lighthearted and then WITCH BURNING and then lighthearted and then your good-natured sidekick takes on the spirit of evil and murders a whole lot of people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

someone asked for recommendations in the rpg thread? time to shitpost all over each other to prove our godawful opinions are right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sorry, but maybe fire emblem just isn't that good. no, i dont care that the dude was clearly asking what srpgs were well recieved recently, i need to post a controversial opinion to stroke my own ego.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, FFT isn't even good. no video games ever made are good. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodsheed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I liked Operation Darkness.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the demo was okay i guess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I can't say OD was good but I liked it too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I want a PC port

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

the demo was okay i guess

ImpAtom posted:

I can't say OD was good but I liked it too.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I want a PC port

congratulations thread, we've found the one good video game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

no video games ever made are good.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Endorph posted:

someone asked for recommendations in the rpg thread? time to shitpost all over each other to prove our godawful opinions are right

That's okay if everyone poo poo all over each other while posting reasons their godawful opinions are right. But it's been just a bunch of names, this game is good, this game is not good, etc.. You guys suck. The last page and this page is useless to anybody.

Except for two posts about Jeanne D'Arc.

What's good or what's not good about Fire Emblem?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the numbers and calculations are simple so unlike every other srpg ever made it's actually possible for you to figure out how battles are going to go. it's hosed up that every other srpg ever made has numbers like '3500 str, 5224 hit' and expects you to figure out what the gently caress that translates to in gameplay terms. some of them don't even show you your hit rate when you're about to make an attack.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Operation Darkness you get to have a wolfman shoot hitler

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Endorph has the most important mechanical point covered, so I'll mention some other stuff:

With the exception of Path of Radiance, the games move blindingly quickly, so you don't sit there forever watching your characters move at a snail's pace across the map and then do an animation you've seen a million times (unless you want to).
There are no "generic" units. Every single unit is a unique character with personality, design, and mechanical quirks you can latch onto.
Levelups are randomized, but in a way where it's very easy to tell when you get good ones and when you get bad ones. This leads to you having a different army every time you play.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That's okay if everyone poo poo all over each other while posting reasons their godawful opinions are right. But it's been just a bunch of names, this game is good, this game is not good, etc.. You guys suck. The last page and this page is useless to anybody.

In defense of the shitposting, you only asked whether there were any good SRPGs since FFT. So it's not surprising that people gave you a list since it wasn't a very specific question.

What did you like about FFT? What didn't you like? That would give people a lot better information on which to recommend a game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ghost recon shadow wars is badass because one of your units can go invisible and just stab every single eastern european fucker while an inane tom clancy storyline plays out that actually ended up happening irl with the invasion of crimea. its also made by the dude who made the original xcom

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You can recruit Herbert West to revive your units and there's a bunch of nazi vampires

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Good:
~As Endorph mentioned the simplicity of the game's core mechanics is a definite plus. The game is for the most part really good about telling you how everything works and what everything does.

~Beyond the simplicity, the core gameplay tenets are very intuitive and fairly balanced (with some notable lingering exceptions). Every sort of unit brings something unique to the table, yet individual units with the same job are frequently capable of feeling unique.

~Each iteration of the game does a good job of balancing the 'keep the core concepts of the series intact' and 'mixing it up just enough that it doesn't feel samey' concepts. Of course some will disagree on this, and this is fine. Once you get the hang of one Fire Emblem you've basically got the hang of all of them.

~Playing Eugenicist in Awakening is awesome.

Bad:
~Permadeath puts the difficulty curve above what a lot of people are willing to deal with. Of course to a lot of other people, this is exactly what they want.

~No grinding in most of the games lends itself to a very streamlined experience, but one where you have to commit yourself to a set party or risk being solely underleveled in the games' closing acts.

~Whether a unit turns out good or bad is frequently entirely up to the RNG. The player has very little input into how a character turns out.

~Radiant Dawn (the 10th installment of the series) apparently had a small hiccup where it had different difficulty ratings than the Japanese version. In America 'Easy' was Japan's 'normal' 'Normal' was Japan's 'Hard' etc. This makes Radiant Dawn incredibly difficult to play on normal and is utterly demoralizing if you don't realize why this is. Luckily Radiant Dawn has in-battle saves, but it's still potentially agonizing.

~Awakening is a unique snowflake in the series. It was their last-ditch effort to sell the game to people other than the die hards that had been playing since the series arrived on their respective shores. It does a lot of things that are 'not normal' in Fire Emblem (paired units, random battles, the ability to turn permadeath off). This turned off a few die hards but could be exactly what somebody who is iffy on the series is looking for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The protagonist and his friend get assigned to the bullshit magic squadron even though they have no powers, for reasons which are never explained. later the friend leaves because this whole thing is just completely retarded, but the hero gets to become a wizard so it all works out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The protagonist and his friend get assigned to the bullshit magic squadron even though they have no powers, for reasons which are never explained. later the friend leaves because this whole thing is just completely retarded, but the hero gets to become a wizard so it all works out

Nah. The protagonist gets assigned to the magic bullshit squadron because he got shot and got an infusion of werewolf blood which somehow makes him a wizard instead of a werewolf.

His friend doesn't leave though. He gets kidnapped and turned into a vampire.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I want this game but I sold my 360

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

His friend doesn't leave though. He gets kidnapped and turned into a vampire.

I forgot about that, but there's still no reason they brought him along to fight literal demons when he's just some rear end in a top hat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also your team is:

Two werewolves
A werewolf ~half~
Frankenstein's Creature
A witch
Jack the Ripper
Van Helsing's granddaughter who is also a master swordswoman
A random Irish sniper who also got some werewolf blood
A random spy who also got some werewolf blood and this somehow lets him... call in air strikes and shoot people with a shotgun?
Herbert West The Reanimator
A German soldier who was turned into a superpowered armor cyborg.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FFT's HD edition was disappointing because it did not solve the two things that really soured me on finishing it:
1. Severe low deployment numbers
2. An easy, on-screen indicator of turn order.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

somehow being in wolfman form makes their rocket launchers do more damage

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

too many wolves, wheres the fishmen

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MockingQuantum posted:

In defense of the shitposting, you only asked whether there were any good SRPGs since FFT. So it's not surprising that people gave you a list since it wasn't a very specific question.

What did you like about FFT? What didn't you like? That would give people a lot better information on which to recommend a game.

I just like that it was a well made quality game. I want another quality SRPG. It doesn't have to be anything like FFT or good at the same things. FFT had good music, an interesting compelling political story and characters (at least two with Delita and Algus), battles that were never boring because they constantly tested you in different ways, it was made with a lot of care and effort. A good SRPG in my mind should have good music, good story, good gameplay, and be interesting.

I can't remember who here has good opinions and bad opinions, so I don't know what to do with just names. :)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's me, I have the good opinions

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i have good opinions and i suggest you play yggdra union on the psp

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The only good thing about FFT was calculators.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have good opinions and i suggest you play yggdra union on the psp

hell, same

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

on one end of the srpg spectrum, there is fire emblem where things are easy to understand.

one the other end, there are sting srpgs.

never play sting srpgs

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Does Knights in the Nightmare count? Because that seemed cool and I bought it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

knights in the nightmare is epic