Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was originally a SNES game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tactics Ogre is uglier? I thought FF Tactics was one of worse looking ones, but I guess I'm not a free-form geometric guy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm playing the PS4 version of the SA:O game and it's pretty daunting. I guess it's kind of neat that you start at level 100 with all these skills and poo poo but I'm not really sure how I should progress on the skill tree, is it even viable to go anything but dual wield? Will it take forever to get any of the other stuff at a remotely competent level?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's viable, and it won't really take forever. You get decent skills fairly early on in the other trees. I played through the vita game using mostly a dagger + shield build and I was pretty much unkillable.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

Tactics Ogre is uglier? I thought FF Tactics was one of worse looking ones, but I guess I'm not a free-form geometric guy.

The UI of FFT doesn't look great but the sprite work is fantastic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also there's a katana build that gives you near infinite SP to just spam your best stuff with. IIRC:

2hand Sword: Heavy damage, decent defense.
Dual Swords: Good damage, lots of AOE skills, low defense.
Dagger: Evade bonuses mostly.
Katana: SP bonuses and regen, crits.
Rapier: Mostly focused on debuffs, I think?

Spear, Mace, Axe: Never used.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
everyone forgot about tactics ogre gba

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is the ps4 sa:o game the same as the vita one or is it a different thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

is the ps4 sa:o game the same as the vita one or is it a different thing
the ps4 sao game (lost song) is a new game, and came with a ps4 port of the vita game (hollow fragment) as a preorder bonus

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

the ps4 sao game (lost song) is a new game, and came with a ps4 port of the vita game (hollow fragment) as a preorder bonus

oh okay. is it any good? is the translation babblefish or is it acceptable? i didn't buy the vita one even though it was supposed to be fun since i didn't want to support the real bad translation

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

They revamped the translation on the PS4 version into something resembling English.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

oh okay. is it any good? is the translation babblefish or is it acceptable? i didn't buy the vita one even though it was supposed to be fun since i didn't want to support the real bad translation

the translation was redone so there's that

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The weird chat system in town still makes no sense at all though even with the new translation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i think that's just a weird feature that doesn't gel, not awful translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also they sincerely apologized for the vita translation and made lost song with western audiences in mind, so there's that too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you should play the gba tactics ogre

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

your still playing sao tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

your still playing sao tho

yeah but you can just skip all the inane story poo poo and you're left with a fun game.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sakurazuka posted:

It was originally a SNES game.

16 bit games don't look ugly though. Shining Force 2 looks fun and colorful. Tactics Ogre is bland and unappealing.

vs

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What? Shining Force looks a lot more assy from my point of view. If you subjectively don't like less bright color schemes sure but it's definitely not ugly for its time.

corn in the bible posted:

you should play the gba tactics ogre

Nah the best Ogre game is Ogre Battle 64. The GBA game has some cool things (emblems which are basically stat boosts/class change enablers that a character gets for pulling off certain challenges) but it's really slow and a bit shallow.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I played through the GBA one and all I remember is who the main character ends up being in the mainline games, and that you get a mermaid companion. It's also a pretty dark game on some of its endings!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

16 bit games don't look ugly though. Shining Force 2 looks fun and colorful. Tactics Ogre is bland and unappealing.

vs

Yeah that's not a tech limitation. Tactics Ogre was always going for the grim atmosphere so it's going to use the more earthly palette.
As much as I love Shining Force 2, it literally is a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Hmm... Tactics Ogre is a rather ugly looking and sounding game. It's very dull. Especially coming after a FFT replay. I hate the sound of the text scroll and going through icons. I think I'll do something else.

The PSP version's soundtrack is actually really good and I'd put it up there with FFT's.

Also, Cake Attack, your new av is very good, but I will miss Takeo's encouragement.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't get the last attack bonus or w/e on the first boss in SAO because I got stunned right before it died. :whitewater: How important are those items anyways

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah that's not a tech limitation. Tactics Ogre was always going for the grim atmosphere so it's going to use the more earthly palette.
As much as I love Shining Force 2, it literally is a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Can't you have grim without everything looking like it's near the same color? The characters don't stand out on the map. It all blends in.

Let's talk about how awesome Vandal Hearts's use of color was.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tactics ogre looks a lot nicer than everything else you've posted

dude789 posted:

Also, Cake Attack, your new av is very good, but I will miss Takeo's encouragement.

true but hajime is win

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You guys should find good looking games to combat tactics ogre with instead of these eyesores

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Son, I think your brain is just broke, and this is coming from me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

why can't tactics ogre look good, like this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love Vandal Hearts to death but it looked like poo poo even when it first came out.

Those blood spurts will never not be hilarious to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tactics ogre? more like tactics ugly. not a real beauty like this classic

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Those Vandal Hearts screenshots genuinely make me want to play the game less, they look awful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Those Vandal Hearts screenshots genuinely make me want to play the game less, they look awful.

Amazingly enough the sequel actually looks worse.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazingly enough the sequel actually looks worse.

Yikes. I take it the rest of the game somewhat makes up for the visuals? Seems like the first one, at least, is recommended pretty frequently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vandal hearts isn't a bad game and it looks less rear end in motion, but it still isn't exactly a classic of the genre

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first game is fun but fairly primitive, the levels are more like little puzzles and have more varied goals than are usual for SRPG's. One notoriously tricky stage has you trying to kill zombies before they attack and kill a bunch of helpless villagers for instance.

The second one has a weird system where you and the enemy both take turns at the same time, and the only way they make this workable is by having the enemy AI be completely dumb and easily exploitable.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quest For Glory II posted:

You guys should find good looking games to combat tactics ogre with instead of these eyesores
http://www.mobygames.com/game/saiyuki-journey-west/screenshots

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Son, I think your brain is just broke, and this is coming from me.

he just determined to only like like what he already played, too scared to take the dive into Tactics Ogre and everyone talking about the bad crafting system colored the perception of it being a 'bad game' before he could even pick it up. This is what happens when you focus on the flaws instead of the positives

You should play Hoshigami, the visuals are just fine + the gameplay is stellar

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TO also has an absolute metric poo poo-ton of battlefields, and you can have something like 30 units on the field (12 of your own + up to 18 enemies iirc). They're also 3d now, though they don't look like it - you can go into a top down view rotating the battlefield left or right. Zooming out also sharpens the graphics considerably, which looks really nice if you're playing on a Vita, pstv, or emulator.

The music is stellar, the transation is ace, the UI is fast, the gameplay is fast (I'm not sure it's quite FE:A speed, but given the numbers involved, it's very quick - faster than FFT for sure). Oh and the chariot/world rewind time systems are amazing.

A lot of the criticisms people were discussing earlier are stuff that annoys you after you've spent dozens (or hundreds!) of hours with the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

The first game is fun but fairly primitive, the levels are more like little puzzles and have more varied goals than are usual for SRPG's. One notoriously tricky stage has you trying to kill zombies before they attack and kill a bunch of helpless villagers for instance.

You got it backwards, the zombies are the villagers! They all have like 1HP, but you automatically counterattack anything that doesn't hit you in the back(?), and you gotta kill the actual enemies before too many villagers get countered to death :eng101:

I hate that stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

MotU posted:

he just determined to only like like what he already played, too scared to take the dive into Tactics Ogre and everyone talking about the bad crafting system colored the perception of it being a 'bad game' before he could even pick it up. This is what happens when you focus on the flaws instead of the positives

You should play Hoshigami, the visuals are just fine + the gameplay is stellar
I can't tell if that's a genuine recommendation, as most of the things I've read about Hoshigami have made me stay away from it.